How To Deal With Air Asia

Rather than put up another rant about Air Asia, I just want to pass on some information.

I just booked a trip from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. This is my second domestic trip in Thailand. The first was from Bkk to Phuket, and I was a rookie. I fell into the trap of going on Air Asia and the starting price was so good, but as we all know, that is the start, then the real numbers start to appear (in the US we call that "bait and switch").

The problem I have with Air Asia is that in order to get the actual price you need to put in all sorts of personal information. So I completely made up my name (No Mas, for those of you who speak a little bit of Spanish), address, email etc. and they accepted it. Then I got the real price (regular baggage, no meal, no insurance, and pick my seat) and the price was about 25% higher than Bangkok Airways, so I booked on Bangkok Airways.

The flight I took to Phuket last time was ok - it was about an hour delayed out of Phuket, but that happens. In my opinion, from my brief experience, the problem with Air Asia is not necessarily the flight itself, but the deceptive marketing. Just work around that, and see what you get?

Cheers.

Mr. NoMas

Thanks for the responses. My problem is that the initial price is a really a false price, as it only applies to people who have no checked baggage, don't want to pick a seat (i.e. you get a middle seat), have an SCB card, etc. That would be ok if they had a link to the fees and charges page (which apparently exists, but is not disclosed on the bookings page). If you notice, once you have picked your flights, they make you check a box that outlines terms and conditions, and fare rules, but conspicuously absent is any information on the additional fees that might be applicable. That information is not disclosed until you have put in your personal details. It was so nice to go to the other airline and the fee that was quoted was so real.

Imagine going to a grocery store that has the prices marked for the items, but after you have put them in the basket, when you go to the checkout counter they say - the price is higher because you have more than ten items, you are using a credit card, you have too much beer (might happen), etc. I think most of us would say that is deceptive.

The bottom line for me is that Bangkok Airways in this case was about 25% cheaper, and seemed more honest. We will see about the flight....

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses. My problem is that the initial price is a really a false price, as it only applies to people who have no checked baggage, don't want to pick a seat (i.e. you get a middle seat), have an SCB card, etc. That would be ok if they had a link to the fees and charges page (which apparently exists, but is not disclosed on the bookings page). If you notice, once you have picked your flights, they make you check a box that outlines terms and conditions, and fare rules, but conspicuously absent is any information on the additional fees that might be applicable. That information is not disclosed until you have put in your personal details. It was so nice to go to the other airline and the fee that was quoted was so real.

Imagine going to a grocery store that has the prices marked for the items, but after you have put them in the basket, when you go to the checkout counter they say - the price is higher because you have more than ten items, you are using a credit card, you have too much beer (might happen), etc. I think most of us would say that is deceptive.

The bottom line for me is that Bangkok Airways in this case was about 25% cheaper, and seemed more honest. We will see about the flight....

Cheers.

Fully agree, I am really fed up of their advertising.

Again, you can view all the fees, by route, on the link I provided. Not sure that qualifies as "deceptive"?

The initial booking page shows the VAT ( 7% )/Departure Fees (100 baht per departure), then just add the additional fees on the Fee Schedule page. Seems straight-forward?

I think everyone understands the LCC concept by now? It's up to the consumer to educate themselves.

Again, you can view all the fees, by route, on the link I provided. Not sure that qualifies as "deceptive"?

The initial booking page shows the VAT ( 7% )/Departure Fees (100 baht per departure), then just add the additional fees on the Fee Schedule page. Seems straight-forward?

I think everyone understands the LCC concept by now? It's up to the consumer to educate themselves.

I do not agree with your conclusion that consumers have to educate themselves.

The majority of consumers don't have the time, patience or willingness to educate themselves on the pitfalls that companies like Air Asia have incorporated in their booking process, and I do mean pitfalls.

Companies like Air Asia, Agoda and others that use these tactics are doing it for one reason only, lure potential costumers to their products with cheap advertised prices to which you cannot get the product, and in my book that's cheating.

Yermanee :jap:

Please explain how to educate myself.

The first time I flew Air Asia I was over weight on my baggage (coming back from a diving trip)

So next trip I paid for a second bag. Show up at the check in and I am overweight. Was told you are allowed 15kg, told them I paid for a second bag and was told that is fine but you still only get 15kg now you can split it between 2 bags

I have and will continue to use anyone else other than Air Asia

Please explain how to educate myself.

The first time I flew Air Asia I was over weight on my baggage (coming back from a diving trip)

So next trip I paid for a second bag. Show up at the check in and I am overweight. Was told you are allowed 15kg, told them I paid for a second bag and was told that is fine but you still only get 15kg now you can split it between 2 bags

I have and will continue to use anyone else other than Air Asia

It sounds like you educated yourself? Granted, it took two trips on FD but you did learn something.

Obviously if FD is "cheating" (not my word) or "deceiving" (again not my word) consumers then they will fail as they will not get any repeat business.

From 2Q2011 results:

Thailand –Exceeding expectations -strong y-o-y performance

Profit before tax of THB386 mil, up 862% y-o-y

Operating profit of THB315 million recording 123% y-o-y growth

Balance of RM70 million unrecognisedshare of net profit before it can be equity accounted

Passenger volume grew by 30% y-o-y, achieving 78% load factor

RASK (THB) up 14% contributed from stronger ancillary income per pax

I have never flown FD nor do I have any interest in the Company.

Some members on TV never fail to amaze me, its very well know thro the World that budget airlines are one big pricing con, people who support these airlines in their antics by saying there is nothing wrong are part of the problem

Bar sign Beer 10baht (small print..Ice 20baht Glass 50 baht)

Restaurant french fries 15 baht (small print plate 30 baht)

Whats the difference? sure you dont need the extras but it sure comes as a surprise when the waitress dumps your FF on the table with no plate and your beer runs off the table cloth

Some people are just dumb and put up with anything

I will admit to being a fan of Air Asia and I fly with them on a regular basis, they are often the cheapest, but if not I will not hesitate in flying on a cheaper airline.

The secret of Air Asia, and most airlines, is to have the time and patience to navigate their booking system and deselect optional item you don't want or need, I'm lucky I have both the time and the patience to do both, and have got some good deals as a result.

Air Asia are not alone in their add ons, and they are hardly hidden, the link to their fee schedule, that lomatopo kindly provided, is right their on the front page of the website, under flight information. Most budget airlines and many major airlines are now adding extras, many charge 1.5% for using a credit card (Air Asia have dropped the term convenience fee and now call it a processing fee, they do have to pay the card company), and there have been recent threads about American carriers charging for luggage and many airlines charge for seat selection, so as I say Air Asia are not alone.

Going off topic, what about hotels and restaurants that have a ++ on their bills, why don't the hotels and restaurants price the cost of their services into the price, that's no difference to the complaint that AA jack up the basic price (and yes I know VAT has to be paid).

Edited by theoldgit

Seeing your nickname-you must be from that USA. Well: what you write here is exactly what happens and annoys us, Europeans, when we shop in that USA; prices are WITHOUT those taxes-even in a simple McDon. So why are you whining about? You MUST be used to it!

BTW: here in Europe we have the lead-examples of AA; notably RYAN and EASY. There are loads of advice and enormous lentgthy fora about how to deal with that-and I have flown on them for even lower prices as on AA.

The Air Asia website is a royal pain in the arse...

It is geared towards confusing you on some choices and you are adding insurance without realising or have chosen eat allocation because you are distracted...

Sure you can find out the charges from their website somewhere...but the navigation to book your ticket, avoid add ons, and get the final price is deceptive and sneaky..

Cheers.

A regular occurrence in USA (where I guess you may be from?) where they advertise prices without the state or federal taxes and it's only when you come to pay the advertised $1.99 for a hot dog with 2 X $1 bills that you find out it's really $2.75.

Some members on TV never fail to amaze me, its very well know thro the World that budget airlines are one big pricing con, people who support these airlines in their antics by saying there is nothing wrong are part of the problem

Bar sign Beer 10baht (small print..Ice 20baht Glass 50 baht)

Restaurant french fries 15 baht (small print plate 30 baht)

Whats the difference? sure you dont need the extras but it sure comes as a surprise when the waitress dumps your FF on the table with no plate and your beer runs off the table cloth

Some people are just dumb and put up with anything

Again happens very frequently in other walks of life.

Like in your example a restaurant advertising french fries for 15 Baht and the small print saying "excluding 10% service charge and 7% government tax"

It amazes me how some people manage to survive in their daily life!

Edited by PattayaParent

I will admit to being a fan of Air Asia and I fly with them on a regular basis, they are often the cheapest, but if not I will not hesitate in flying on a cheaper airline.

The secret of Air Asia, and most airlines, is to have the time and patience to navigate their booking system and deselect optional item you don't want or need, I'm lucky I have both the time and the patience to do both, and have got some good deals as a result.

Air Asia are not alone in their add ons, and they are hardly hidden, the link to their fee schedule, that lomatopo kindly provided, is right their on the front page of the website, under flight information. Most budget airlines and many major airlines are now adding extras, many charge 1.5% for using a credit card (Air Asia have dropped the term convenience fee and now call it a processing fee, they do have to pay the card company), and there have been recent threads about American carriers charging for luggage and many airlines charge for seat selection, so as I say Air Asia are not alone.

Going off topic, what about hotels and restaurants that have a ++ on their bills, why don't the hotels and restaurants price the cost of their services into the price, that's no difference to the complaint that AA jack up the basic price (and yes I know VAT has to be paid).

It's not rocket science is it!!!

Are people analphabets or something? All the pricing information is there before you make a buying decision. Of all the low price carriers I've encountered, Air Asia is the easiest to deal with, and their fees are moderate. They aren't always cheapest, and booking well in advance is recommended to get a good price, but it's hassle free and works well most of the time. If you don't like them, fly with somebody else, but in my case, I often find myself paying 30-50% less with them than the competitors. Their check-in machines at Suwannapoom has made it even more attractive. No queues if you have only carry-on bags.