Gingerbread Update Available Galaxy Mini

chmod777

FYI, Kies gave me an Android update to Gingerbread 2.3.4 for my Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5570B. If anyone gave up waiting for it, like I almost did, time to fire up Kies again.

I'm hoping it cures my occasional "sleep of death" problem, so far so good...

It seems to have fixed the sleep of death, I have not had it happen again since the upgrade about ten days ago. Previously it happened at least once every three days.

Gingerbread has several other improvements too, the battery charges faster and it lasts longer. Highly recommend the upgrade, I see no reason to stay with Froyo.

It seems to have fixed the sleep of death, I have not had it happen again since the upgrade about ten days ago. Previously it happened at least once every three days.

Gingerbread has several other improvements too, the battery charges faster and it lasts longer. Highly recommend the upgrade, I see no reason to stay with Froyo.

Thanks for the quick reply... did you upgrade the rom yourself or did the shop do it? If you did it yourself do you remember the guide/url/site that you followed?

I'm new to this stuff guys. I just got the Galaxy mini and it seems to have got what you refer to as the sleep of death yesterday.

I have it connected to kies but it doesn't say what version of gingerbread I have on my phone.....I'd like to upgrade to 2.3.4. too.

How do i proceed?

It says when connected to kies that I should upgrade kies to the latest version first...which it says it already is...but how do i force it to upgrade Gingerbread?

My first smartphone...it is certainly smarter than me.

Make sure your phone is fully charged, connect it with USB and start up Kies.

Backup your current data through Kies now, or make sure you do it when prompted by the upgrade process later.

The current version of Kies is 2.0.3.11082_152, you can check your version from the Kies menu: Help, Kies Information.

The Gingerbread 2.3.4 firmware version is PDA:KP5 / PHONE:KP5 / CSC:KP5 (THL), you can check your version by clicking on the phone icon under "Connected Devices". It should offer to upgrade you if you don't have this version installed.

This website has an explanation and a video:

http://www.kuanhoong...droid-via-kies/

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

this update doesn't show on my Kies as available...what to do?

Also, how do i use ringtones I downloaded as .mp3 files to my phone...they are sat in the downloads folder but how do i use them as ringtones?

Has the phone been rooted or a different ROM put in it, and did you buy it in Thailand? What version number does it say is the latest available in Kies?

The easiest way to set an mp3 as ringtone is play the song in the music player. You can then click the menu button (bottom left on phone) and "set as ringtone" will be an option. Note that you need to open up the music player and load the song, this will not work if you just click on the file to play while browsing directories, that doesn't start up the full music player.

this update doesn't show on my Kies as available...what to do?

Also, how do i use ringtones I downloaded as .mp3 files to my phone...they are sat in the downloads folder but how do i use them as ringtones?

Has the phone been rooted or a different ROM put in it, and did you buy it in Thailand? What version number does it say is the latest available in Kies?

The easiest way to set an mp3 as ringtone is play the song in the music player. You can then click the menu button (bottom left on phone) and "set as ringtone" will be an option. Note that you need to open up the music player and load the song, this will not work if you just click on the file to play while browsing directories, that doesn't start up the full music player.

I brought it here in thailand...don't know anything about rooted.

Kies says this... PDA:KG2/PHONE KB1/CSC:KG1 (THL)

I have just updated my wife's phone with kies but you have to update Kies first from the Samsung web site the ver you get in the box is to old. Then connect your phone it should then tell you that there is a update and just back up the phone first then select the firmware update.

regards

Scotsman

I have just updated my wife's phone with kies but you have to update Kies first from the Samsung web site the ver you get in the box is to old. Then connect your phone it should then tell you that there is a update and just back up the phone first then select the firmware update.

regards

Scotsman

Ditto. I upgraded the Kies software first - which was a painfully huge slow download, but the 2.3.4 upgrade worked smoothly after that.