Amari Rincome Hotel

Ulysses G.

I was told last week that they've still not decided whether to include a hotel or not in the new development, and that is why nothing is happening.

I didn't hear this first hand so it could be wrong, take it for what it is.

This is from their own website:

Amari Rincome Chiang Mai Closed For Redevelopment

Thailand-based ONYX Hospitality Group has announced that Amari Rincome Chiang Mai closed its doors on 30 April 2011 to facilitate an exciting new urban development project.

The 42-year old Amari Rincome is set within an expansive 1.8 hectares of land and situated along Nimmanhaeminda Road, an area in central Chiang Mai which has, in recent years, seen an emergence of chic and trendy retail spaces.

The current hotel site will be integrated into a larger redevelopment project which will include a vibrant lifestyle community mall featuring a landscaped plaza, retail areas, cinemas and restaurants.

A new, smaller Amari hotel will also be introduced when the project is completed in approximately 18 months’ time. The 85-room property will feature a fresh, modern perspective to complement the lively contemporary retail surroundings, with facilities including an all-day dining restaurant, meeting room and gymnasium.

“As the first international hotel in the early days of Chiang Mai’s international tourism growth, Amari Rincome has been an integral part of the local community for over 40 years,’’ said ONYX CEO Peter Henley.

‘’It is with sadness that we announce the end of this particular era for Amari Rincome. I would like to personally acknowledge the hard work and loyalty of all the staff who have all contributed to the hotel’s success over the years,’’ Henley added.

‘’We look forward with great anticipation to launching the all-new Amari hotel which will play an equally important role in the Chiang Mai community and in the continued growth of tourism of the area in the years ahead.’’

• Like 1

"...18 months..." I take that with a large grain of salt.

I can only imagine that with all the copycat boutique hotels and other fancy coffee n shopping promenade things going on, they want to build their own. They've got the location right. I hope they do well. The Nimman area is what it is. Not my cup o' tea, but I'm glad it's there. I'm a little skeptical of "cinema" as well. I don't think that would be wise. But anyway....time will tell.

That intersection is already one of the worst, if not The Worst, in CM. I cannot imagine any plan that would reduce the delays that must follow the eventual development.

Still, whenever finished, the scheme represents another enrichment of the street (in the sense of higher prices and occult environment).

I know of a chef there who has established his own business. Buffet news, alas, will be long in coming.

Edited by CMX

The Amari also owns all the shops on the north side of Nimman Soi 1. All the commercial tenants have moved out or are in the process of doing so. The only other "work" I've seen done is they emptied the swimming pools.

This is from their own website:

“As the first international hotel in the early days of Chiang Mai’s international tourism growth, Amari Rincome has been an integral part of the local community for over 40 years,’’ said ONYX CEO Peter Henley.

‘’It is with sadness that we announce the end of this particular era for Amari Rincome. I would like to personally acknowledge the hard work and loyalty of all the staff who have all contributed to the hotel’s success over the years,’’ Henley added.

‘’We look forward with great anticipation to launching the all-new Amari hotel which will play an equally important role in the Chiang Mai community and in the continued growth of tourism of the area in the years ahead.’’

[/font]

Corporate speak. How did it qualify as an 'integral part of the local community'? 'Sadness'? Bullshit. You've bulldozed it.

The hotel was only run by the Amari Group, it was owned by a lady who, I believe, is a member of the Nimmanhaemin family.

As the hotel trade has not been too good for the past two years the lady in question decided to revamp the site.

She was going to build an upmarket shopping mall and keep part of the hotel, but with fewer rooms.

For the duration of the rebuilding the Amari group found other jobs for the staff. In their hotel chain for staff who could move or in other hotels in Chiangmai for staff who had to remain here for personal reasons (family, etc.).

The General Manager stayed on to oversee everything and promised the staff that when the hotel re-opened they would be taken on.

The Amari looked after their staff very well, and there was more of a 'family' atmosphere. That's why some of the staff were there for many years.

The lady owner of the site backed the Democrat party in the last elections.

As you know, they didn't do very well.

She now felt that she needed to get her money back, so she sold the site - to the Chang Beer man, I understand; he who is buying up large chunks of Chiangmai.

The beer man is not interested in opening a hotel!

The Amari group is looking for another hotel to manage in Chiangmai but so far nothing suitable has been found.

The General Manger, seeing no future here, has resigned.

So, it looks like the end of the road for the excellent buffets we used to enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ginkas lots of false information.

Land and hotel not owned by "a lady" it is owned by a company.

You say the site was sold by "the lady" to Beer Chang - another lie.

All your other "information" is wrong.

Another person in Thailand who talks without knowing anything.

So what is the truth, newbie "fatjenny"?

You might want to read his post before you reply to it.

For all you or any one else knows she owns the company.

She did not sell it to Chang beer she sold it to a man associated with Chang beer.

Why should we believe you.Have you a link to back up your claims?

Fatjenny? Sounds like a lot of upset and maybe some racial problems over a hotel with a massage parlor that is being remodels or torn up. What's the importance? I know the buffet lunches etc. will be missed by Thai and foreigners alike.

The weathers great, enjoy the sunshine and cooler weather.

You might want to read his post before you reply to it.

For all you or any one else knows she owns the company.

She did not sell it to Chang beer she sold it to a man associated with Chang beer.

Why should we believe you.Have you a link to back up your claims?

Does anyone really care? Take a break from the computer, enjoy the day.

The Amari also owns all the shops on the north side of Nimman Soi 1. All the commercial tenants have moved out or are in the process of doing so. The only other "work" I've seen done is they emptied the swimming pools.

I thought it hurt a bit when I dived in......

ps: shame to lose La Gritta though I only went a few times in years. Excellent.

Edited by cheeryble

Are you the aggressive alter ego of some mild-mannered TV member?

to "hellodolly"

dummy, why doesn't Ginkas back up their (false) claims.

Can you read?

Ginkas said : "She now felt that she needed to get her money back, so she sold the site - to the Chang Beer man, I understand; he who is buying up large chunks of Chiangmai."

You then said: "She did not sell it to Chang beer she sold it to a man associated with Chang beer."

You should back up your lies with proof, but you can't because you are lying.

So when you get caught in a lie you and other farangs don't say "sorry I got caught spreading false rumors" but instead you say you will miss the buffet and sweep it under the rug.

And you are lacking in accountability.

to "hellodolly"

dummy, why doesn't Ginkas back up their (false) claims.

Can you read?

Ginkas said : "She now felt that she needed to get her money back, so she sold the site - to the Chang Beer man, I understand; he who is buying up large chunks of Chiangmai."

You then said: "She did not sell it to Chang beer she sold it to a man associated with Chang beer."

You should back up your lies with proof, but you can't because you are lying.

So when you get caught in a lie you and other farangs don't say "sorry I got caught spreading false rumors" but instead you say you will miss the buffet and sweep it under the rug.

And you are lacking in accountability.

Just an observation but usually fat people are jollier.

"a lady owns this land and hotel and sold it to "the Beer Chang man" " (duh no names given)

but only place this has ever been reported is the authoritative Thaivisa.com farang blog.

very reliable and substantiated information from patpong farangs with no education.