Tuk Tuk Mafia Threatening To Derail The Islands Massive Tourist Industry

pauljones

Last year, envoys from about 20 countries began meetings with the Phuket governor and local leaders to identify the problems that tourists experience.

The complaints:

-Control the jet-ski scammers.

-End the tuk-tuk and taxi monopoly control over public transport.

18 months on, and the ambassadors of Germany, Britain, Austria, Netherlands & Australia are now considering issuing travel warnings.

"The jet-ski owners are still scamming, and the tuk-tuk and taxi drivers continue to assert total control on the roads."

Full story here: http://www.cnngo.com...be-fixed-731103

It never seems to make any difference how much bad media they get the show just goes on.

And now the situation has gotten much worse. The jet ski scammers and motorcycle taxi drivers are being given police volunteer status. If they weren't untouchable before, they certainly will be now.

The reason why the number of arrivals keeps going up is the changing demographics. If it were mainly still Europeans ( where the news of Phuket and the bad behaviour exhibited by the locals is out) then the island would be in a world of hurt. However with the influx of the Russians, Chinese and other N Asian countries, the island is booming as either the news hasn't made it to these countries, or this type of behaviour isn't enough to make them want to go somewhere else.

The tourist industry is very lucky that this new demographic has become so prevalent, so it hasn't afffected the tuk tuks or jet skis, but rather has emboldened them to keep up this behaviour as all they see are more tourists and more people to be fleeced.

Edited by steelepulse

It never seems to make any difference how much bad media they get the show just goes on.

And now the situation has gotten much worse. The jet ski scammers and motorcycle taxi drivers are being given police volunteer status. If they weren't untouchable before, they certainly will be now.

Yes I read that with more than a touch of outrage, but I also read about them installing a considerable increase in security cameras. The problem is that half the ones in Patong currently do not work and it is hard to imagine that they would live-monitored. However, the individual who came up with this idea of the TTM, JSM et al being asked to act as pseudo TPVs has a lot to answer for.

Regarding this TTM-JSM topic, does anyone else feel like a dog chasing it's tail?

Same story, different rag.

Let the place sort out itself out, eventually change will happen but I'm afraid someone might have to lose their life at the hands of these goons before we see real change.

Form a TVP union if you feel your job is under threat

Well, two of these prospective pseudo TPVs were at it today (about 1pm). The missus has come out of the 7/11 (in Nanai, near Hasip Pee) and she barely misses being slashed by a motorsai Taxi driver slashing at a 'colleague' with a huge bowie knife. The missus takes to her heels as the one with the huge knife continues his attack at the other. The unarmed one runs off and the bloke with the knife lines him up and throws it, barely missing the other bloke's back. Presumably a territory dispute. Of course, no BiB in sight. Land of Smiles...

Well, two of these prospective pseudo TPVs were at it today (about 1pm). The missus has come out of the 7/11 (in Nanai, near Hasip Pee) and she barely misses being slashed by a motorsai Taxi driver slashing at a 'colleague' with a huge bowie knife. The missus takes to her heels as the one with the huge knife continues his attack at the other. The unarmed one runs off and the bloke with the knife lines him up and throws it, barely missing the other bloke's back. Presumably a territory dispute. Of course, no BiB in sight. Land of Smiles...

Patong's finest!

I have written off that part of the island long ago. It's good for what it's good for. Go-go's, bar girls, after hours BK, and the occasional movie if it's not already playing at Central. Otherwise avoid.

The Chinese and Korean tourists have limited contact with tuk tuks as they ride the tour buses. I doubt the Japanese touristst care about the high prices as it is still a bargain compared to taxi fares in Japan. As for the Jet Ski ripoffs, good. Anyone that rents these noisy environmentallt unfriendly machines at a crowded beach deserves to be penalized. One has to be a completely selfish person to appreciate that jetskis do not belong at a crowded beach.

One has to be a completely selfish person to appreciate that jetskis do not belong at a crowded beach.

So that makes you the selfish person then, does it?

Confusing statement for sure but I think the sentiment is correct. If you think it's o.k. to ride a jetski in a crowded beach location then you are an idiot (is my take on that statement).

• 2 weeks later...

Patong's finest!

I have written off that part of the island long ago. It's good for what it's good for. Go-go's, bar girls, after hours BK, and the occasional movie if it's not already playing at Central. Otherwise avoid.

We have seen violence and intimidation from the TTM and their motosai cohorts across the western seaboard. Hardly a reason to focus on the 'I hate Patong' agenda. I happen to like Patong - I just avoid Bangla, just like most other happy Patong expats do. ;)

We have seen violence and intimidation from the TTM and their motosai cohorts across the western seaboard. Hardly a reason to focus on the 'I hate Patong' agenda. I happen to like Patong - I just avoid Bangla, just like most other happy Patong expats do. ;)

Good post Ping. Sure, Patong has it's share of problems/scams/whatever but just get away from the 'tourist' areas and there are many areas of Patong that make for a good place to live. For me it's the traffic congestion in Patong that caused me to move away from living in Patong. Mind you that's now becoming a problem anywhere on the busy areas of the island. oh well, it's called progress ... :(