Mighty Moe'S Deli

butterisbetter

I can attest to the quality of the Rueben Sandwich. I'm a New Yorker and not easy to please when it comes to deli sandwiches. I've lived in Thailand for 5 years and haven't eaten anything close to Mightmy Moe's Rueben Sandwich since my days in the Big Apple... double thumbs up for Mighty Moe, Larry and Curly too!...cool.gif

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the chalk board in front of the place it lists a number of deli items and also says "vegetarian food". Vegetarian food? Good God man, have the power of your convictions.

It was a moment of weakness. A long continuing moment of weakness. It's even worse than you say. There are actually some vegan items in there. Like the lentil salad. But you can always have some bacon tossed into it. We are thinking of putting in some seats upstairs where customers can eat vegetarian food and keep their anonymity. Maybe even closed booths.

I used to have pastrami down on Canal St but that was pure pastrami meet, thinly sliced but huge pastrami portions.

A dream.

The pastrami sandwich I had at Moe's deli was with Sauerkraut and cheese.

Which one do you consider real NY style?

I wouldn't go back for the sauerkraut cheese style!

Non-descriptive taste, to me...............

The photos really look promising. I will definitely pay you guys a visit when i am in CM end of the month.

May i know what kind of beef you use for your sandwiches ?

grass fed new zealand beef

This roast beef is rather dry and well done. I like rare beef - like the photo in menu.

Popped in a couple of weeks for a takeaway sandwich, corned beef on white ! the bread was very dry and nearly stale certainly not to my liking, anyway just put it down to a bad bread day :o yesterday i thought i would give it another go as i was in a rush having to go to the hospital, roast beef on white this time, i happened to notice that the three slices of bread had been put in the oven :rolleyes: when enquiring, why was this the girls answer was " our boss told us too" now the only reason that i can think of is that the bread wasn't very fresh therefore putting it in the oven to liven it up which sort of had the reverse effect :(

Popped in a couple of weeks for a takeaway sandwich, corned beef on white ! the bread was very dry and nearly stale certainly not to my liking, anyway just put it down to a bad bread day :o yesterday i thought i would give it another go as i was in a rush having to go to the hospital, roast beef on white this time, i happened to notice that the three slices of bread had been put in the oven :rolleyes: when enquiring, why was this the girls answer was " our boss told us too" now the only reason that i can think of is that the bread wasn't very fresh therefore putting it in the oven to liven it up which sort of had the reverse effect :(

roast beef on white is an abomination unto the lord

I used to have pastrami down on Canal St but that was pure pastrami meet, thinly sliced but huge pastrami portions.

A dream.

With cheese would definitely not be Kosher though could still be argued to be NY style in the sense that Rueben sandwiches may have been invented in NY.

All this talk about Reuben s so I had to try one today - good quality ingredients in good quantities but the sum of the parts was not better than the finished product and really that was I think down to the preparation. In my experience it's not a good idea to grill the bread, assemble the sandwich and then finishing the grilling, I think the flavor of a Reuben comes from grilling the sandwich from start to finish so that the flavors meld and blend. Also, whether it's Russsian dressing or 100 Islands it doesn't matter, it should not be optional in a container on the side since the dressing is an integral part of the sandwich recipie, if folks don't like the dressing then they ought to request it be left out else order another sandwich. Overall I score the Reuben here at 7.5 out of 10 but with a couple of changes it could be higher.

All this talk about Reuben s so I had to try one today - good quality ingredients in good quantities but the sum of the parts was not better than the finished product and really that was I think down to the preparation. In my experience it's not a good idea to grill the bread, assemble the sandwich and then finishing the grilling, I think the flavor of a Reuben comes from grilling the sandwich from start to finish so that the flavors meld and blend. Also, whether it's Russsian dressing or 100 Islands it doesn't matter, it should not be optional in a container on the side since the dressing is an integral part of the sandwich recipie, if folks don't like the dressing then they ought to request it be left out else order another sandwich. Overall I score the Reuben here at 7.5 out of 10 but with a couple of changes it could be higher.

Don't know if it has been posted or not...... There is a Reuben Sandwich and there is a Rachel Sandwich....

I'll leave it to you to discover the difference.

G

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_sandwich

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Don't know if it has been posted or not...... There is a Reuben Sandwich and there is a Rachel Sandwich....

G

http://en.wikipedia....Reuben_sandwich

I am aware of them both but the discussion thus far is about Reubens.

G

perhaps you should re-read post 34

G

So what Moe's is a calling a "Pastrami Reuben" is really a Rachel?

G

My understanding is that it's the substitution of coleslaw for the sauerkraut that makes it a Rachel sandwich and not merely the substitution of pastrami for corned beef. Regardless, the sandwich at Moe's is ordered and sold as a Reuben (with a side order of coleslaw) containing sauerkraut and my comments above pertain to that beast, regardless of the potential technical discrepancies in the naming conventions.

It takes big balls to advertise your business on a forum with a crowd like this and so I will make the trip and sample the Reuben myself. Lots of years in NYC, so I will report back with what I would modestly propose is a informed opinion on the subject.

Haven't tried them yet but my friend is a world class chief and he tells me the corned beef on rye is to die for. He is hooked for life. But he says don't try the breakfast. That's OK with me I am a sandwich and hamburger kind of guy.

That's Thailand. There's something about the LOS that necessitates that all breakfasts must be compromised in some horrific fashion. Granted I'm a newbie here, but outside of the breakfast buffet at the Empress, the McDonald's near Pantip is as close to what I would call a decent breakfast as I've experienced so far. Very decent, actually... real English Muffins, as opposed to the hamburger buns you seem to always get everywhere else in Asia.

It's especially tragic as the coffee is so very good here...

It takes big balls to advertise your business on a forum with a crowd like this and so I will make the trip and sample the Reuben myself. Lots of years in NYC, so I will report back with what I would modestly propose is a informed opinion on the subject.

Haven't tried them yet but my friend is a world class chief and he tells me the corned beef on rye is to die for. He is hooked for life. But he says don't try the breakfast. That's OK with me I am a sandwich and hamburger kind of guy.

That's Thailand. There's something about the LOS that necessitates that all breakfasts must be compromised in some horrific fashion. Granted I'm a newbie here, but outside of the breakfast buffet at the Empress, the McDonald's near Pantip is as close to what I would call a decent breakfast as I've experienced so far. Very decent, actually... real English Muffins, as opposed to the hamburger buns you seem to always get everywhere else in Asia.

Walked by to day...to see the menu and the prices......Wow some people must have money to burn for homeland delicacies....Maybe I will just stick to less fattening/cholesterol items at a better price and indeed a more healthier option.

Each to his own....Good luck with your Deli

Edited by Raindancer

A dream.

Old fashioned NY Deli Style would be just plain pastrami. Because a jewish deli would never mix a meat and milk product.

But we do offer plain pastrami on rye sandwiches too.

I never had a reuben until I came here. I was skeptical. But I think they're delicious. That said, I do think you can get just as much enjoyment out of a corned beef reuben. And it's 30 baht less.

We also offer real english muffins from Butter is Better

Thanks for your advice. As I've remarked elsewhere, I never had a Reuben (or is it a Rachel? or an hermaphrodite?) until I came here. Your suggestions seem sound. We'll definitely follow up on them. Thanks again.

actually, their boss told them to always ask the customer before toasting the bread. thanks for letting me know. and you can always change the type of bread to one of your liking.

The photos really look promising. I will definitely pay you guys a visit when i am in CM end of the month.

May i know what kind of beef you use for your sandwiches ?

grass fed new zealand beef

This roast beef is rather dry and well done. I like rare beef - like the photo in menu.

We do offer a choice. Some more rare roast beef got shipped in today.

Walked by to day...to see the menu and the prices......Wow some people must have money to burn for homeland delicacies....Maybe I will just stick to less fattening/cholesterol items at a better price and indeed a more healthier option.

Posted my reply to prices etc. but appears the owner chooses to ignore my post whilst answering other posts that promote his business as opposed to dealing with enquiries from a visitor to his establishment who has questioned his pricing structure for goods on offer.

Posted my reply to prices etc. but appears the owner chooses to ignore my post whilst answering other posts that promote his business as opposed to dealing with enquiries from a visitor to his establishment who has questioned his pricing structure for goods on offer.

210 baht for a pastrami rueben sandwich if I recall correctly. Is that what you're referring to? I know that it's unfair, but some people who don't worry about spending that much money for lunch.

Was there a question in there that I missed? I thought you meant it sincerely when you wrote "Each to his own...Good luck with your Deli." I guess I was mistaken. Apparently you were trying to be provocative. You failed. Cope with it. Good luck in all your future endeavors.

As you said in your penultimate post, "each to their own", why you need further debate than that confuses me.

I eat at Mighty Moe's and Butter is Better pretty regularly and to me the prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food and not out of line with other top restaurants in Chiang Mai.

I'm kind of mystified about how one person says he did not like what he had for breakfast and now somehow that is the conventional wisdom on the thread. My only gripe with Moe's is that the breakfast menu is limited compared to Butter is Better, but I like them both..

Both places have plenty of tasty items that are hard to find in Thailand.The breakfasts are good. The sandwiches are good. The pastries and deserts are good. However, if one is looking for a more substantial meal at Mighty Moe's, the dinner menu leaves a lot to be desired. Any chance of some more diner type dishes like at Butter is Better?

Edited by ringo77

I eat at Mighty Moe's and Butter is Better pretty regularly and to me the prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food and not out of line with other top restaurants in Chiang Mai.

I'm kind of mystified about how one person says he did not like what he had for breakfast and now somehow that is the conventional wisdom on the thread. My only gripe with Moe's is that the breakfast menu is limited compared to Butter is Better, but I like them both..

Both places have plenty of tasty items that are hard to find in Thailand.The breakfasts are good. The sandwiches are good. The pastries and deserts are good. However, if one is looking for a more substantial meal at Mighty Moe's, the dinner menu leaves a lot to be desired. Any chance of some more diner type dishes like at Butter is Better?

Personally if I want to pay the price for a top restaurant I will go to one not a sandwich shop.

Not having been there yet I don't know do they serve water with their sandwiches. Is there table service is the building air conditioned in the hot weather. Definitely going to go there see for myself. Hope what ever it is I decide on will be as good as the build up it is getting here.

By the way for myself I am concerned with taste more so than quality of the ingredients. I realize butter is better uses quality products but I find some of the taste to be less than desirable.

I admit I am not a person who will sit there and savor every bite of food I eat.

Edited by hellodolly

Personally if I want to pay the price for a top restaurant I will go to one not a sandwich shop.

Not having been there yet I don't know do they serve water with their sandwiches. Is there table service is the building air conditioned in the hot weather. Definitely going to go there see for myself. Hope what ever it is I decide on will be as good as the build up it is getting here.

By the way for myself I am concerned with taste more so than quality of the ingredients. I realize butter is better uses quality products but I find some of the taste to be less than desirable.

I admit I am not a person who will sit there and savor every bite of food I eat.

I don't think that it's quite correct to say that the prices are those of a top restaurant, I'd say that they are on par with what you'd pay if you went out for burgers at a place up a notch from Mike's.

Edited by OriginalPoster