Mighty Moe'S Deli

butterisbetter

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had never tried US Style Corn Beef until I found via these pages Mighty Moe's.

Very good, different from UK idea of Corned Beef (Bully Beef).

Is the US version cooked before being Immersed in the 'Spicy' Water ?

john

It's very similar if not the same as "salt beef " jon but the septics have given it the wrong name :o:D

Edited by alfieconn

I had never tried US Style Corn Beef until I found via these pages Mighty Moe's.

Very good, different from UK idea of Corned Beef (Bully Beef).

Is the US version cooked before being Immersed in the 'Spicy' Water ?

john

It's very similar if not the same as "salt beef " jon but the septics have given it the wrong name :o:D

salt-beef-sand.JPGSalt beef, like New York-style corned beef, is a Jewish deli meat made from beef briskets cured in brine. The salt breaks down the tough brisket meat while letting its flavours emerge. Salt beef ought not be an exercise in aerobic mastication. In a proper sandwich the meat surrenders instantly to the chew, melting in the mouth and flooding it with flavor.

Cost at Blooms in London 10.25 GBP Appx 500 Baht, not sure about Katz's NY, but Mighty Moes price certainly sounds much better.

Edited by uptheos

• 2 weeks later...

We have potato knishes today (Thursday, Dec 22, 2011). Mom's recipe. For those of you who don't know what knish is it's essentially a kind of pastry dough wrapped around a filling. Our potato knish filling is made with potatoes, onions, and schmaltz. I wanted to make Mom's meat knishes but I couldn't find boiled lung. It's always there except when you need it.

Beverly Hills?

Carnegie Deli in Manhattan is the best in the world.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php

sorry to disagree - maybe the most ignorant staff in the world for sure, I think the best deli in the world (also in NYC) is Katz on Houston (Harry met Sally fame) pastrami to die for and the home made soup - oh my Buddha

I should have specified that the knishes are on sale at Mighty Moe's Deli only.

As for peanut butter, no problem. Raw skinless peanuts are back in chiang mai. PIcked up a fresh 15 kilo bag a few days ago. So the peanut butter pipeline will continue to flow.

Currently no New England clam chowder but I will see about making it today or tomorrow. It's the real thing made with lots of clams and lots of cream.

Beverly Hills?

Carnegie Deli in Manhattan is the best in the world.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php

sorry to disagree - maybe the most ignorant staff in the world for sure, I think the best deli in the world (also in NYC) is Katz on Houston (Harry met Sally fame) pastrami to die for and the home made soup - oh my Buddha

I lived near Katz' and went there fairly often. Corned beef was great. But it was great elsewhere, too, in New York. It's really not that hard to make great corned beef. The most important factor is the quality of the brisket. You need to use a fatty brisket. The fat is where the flavor is. In fact, lots of chefs use brisket fat in various beef dishes that use other cuts of beef.. It's the most flavorful beef fat. I've had corned beef here that's made with brisket that tastes like it came from anorexic cows. Most likely just standard Thai beef.

Unfortunately, good, rich brisket, raised the western way, costs a lot more to begin with than the lean brisket which is prevalent here. And it takes a lot longer to cure because the intramuscular fat slows the spread of the pickling solution into the meat. So you need more refrigeration which imposes another cost. In addition, you lose a lot of the fat during steaming. And it has to be steamed for a long time to make it tender. That's just the nature of brisket. But it's worth it since it makes for a traditional, Jewish style corned beef.

But I recognize that some people either can't eat fat or just don't like fat. If you want to make lean corned beef, there are more flavorful cuts to use than lean brisket. So we don't use brisket to make our lean corned beef.

As for making traditional Pastrami, because it's smoked as well as steamed, you need the fat even more since you lose some of that during the smoking process as well as during the steaming process.

• 2 months later...

Well, that didn't take long. Drove by last night and saw a big sign hanging in front saying "Restaurant For Sale". Unfortunate really. Decent food. I only ate there twice however. Every time I tried to eat dinner there, they were already closed (around 8 or 9 pm). I wonder how much better they would have fared, if they had a more realistic closing time..

-Mestizo

Best wishes to the debut of "Moe's Deli:" for those of us who for physical reasons cannot eat "hard food," I'm wondering if you offer things like:

1. macaroni salad, cold, with soft macraonis

2. potato salad

3. pickled herring in cream

thanks, ~o:37;

I called the number on the sign out front and they told me that the asking price is 400,000 baht with all the equipment, a three year lease and a guarantee for another 3 years. Rent is 33,000 a month. The phone number is 089 700 9921

dam_n! I read all six pages, and was salivating at the thought of getting back to Chiang Mai and trying the Reuben, only to find out it's closed!

On the other hand, I am looking for a small place just like this, so reading this thread has given me some insight into what Chiang Mai expats want...

dam_n! I read all six pages, and was salivating at the thought of getting back to Chiang Mai and trying the Reuben, only to find out it's closed!

On the other hand, I am looking for a small place just like this, so reading this thread has given me some insight into what Chiang Mai expats want...

Some insight into what CM expats want perhaps, but not what they will pay for.

Hubby and I ate at Mighty Moe's several times and really liked it, but there was no way we'd go back during hot season. The place didn't have aircon and the fumes from busy Thapae Rd. were part of the "atmosphere" in the place. If we want to eat "American" food near Thapae Gate this time of year, we'll just go to good old Art Cafe, and enjoy their quiet and aircon. The food isn't as good, but at least we don't feel like we have to take a shower after we eat.

No one has said it is actually closed yet, have they?

Sure looked closed when I walked by there yesterday at 4PM.

Sure looked closed when I walked by there yesterday at 4PM.

Thanks for that. Saves me a trip. Too bad.

Hubby and I ate at Mighty Moe's several times and really liked it, but there was no way we'd go back during hot season. The place didn't have aircon and the fumes from busy Thapae Rd. were part of the "atmosphere" in the place. If we want to eat "American" food near Thapae Gate this time of year, we'll just go to good old Art Cafe, and enjoy their quiet and aircon. The food isn't as good, but at least we don't feel like we have to take a shower after we eat.

I agree.

There is the off chance we could reopen if someone is found to buy one of the partners out and who is willing to invest in a revolutionary invention called air-conditioning.

Hope it all works out - Might Moe's has outstanding food, it would be a real shame to see this place go.

There is the off chance we could reopen if someone is found to buy one of the partners out and who is willing to invest in a revolutionary invention called air-conditioning.

Hope it all works out - Might Moe's has outstanding food, it would be a real shame to see this place go.

Like the others said, it's already closed.

Posts detailing member's private business have been deleted. There is such a thing as privacy and we do have forum rules regarding revealing personal information about members. I would suggest that the next time you feel the need to gossip you re-think it and just not post at all, cheers