Dongle

This is I suppose a continuation of the conversation we've already had on 3G on Samui but I bought a dongle 18 months ago and chose one which has no 3G capability...being as it seemed to be a long way off at the time.

Is it worth upgrading this now? and if so which one should I buy?

Cheers!

My CAT MC727 dongle says it is 3g. nearly three years old now....(capable, I suppose }

In last few months CAT's signal has been improved over what it used to be... although it was never that bad.

But Boater probably correct about official release dates... for 3g... :annoyed:

Just remember the massive flooding haunting the country right now..

CAT said they are setting up an emergency center in Bangkok.... yes it's slow again, but then what have you guys been doing before the Internet?

:whistling:

waiting for cassette tape games to load on my spectrum by the time it had the internet was in full swing :)

CAT said they are setting up an emergency center in Bangkok.... yes it's slow again, but then what have you guys been doing before the Internet?

Thanks for this...the completely pointless answer of the day award winner. smile.gif

Bought dirty magazines at the gas station. smiley-ashamed001.gif

horse and hound or gardeners weekly?

horse and hound or gardeners weekly?

saying that, there was a member here who wanted to set up a sub forum called ' Readers wives ' ......

Why do my threads always end up like this? crying.gif

Try asking us a question we can answer!

(Having just got back from the quiz night at F & G in Fishermans and came last, all I can say is, please make it an easy question!):D

At least I got you on the scratched list for the xmas quiz....unless you are a santa expert.......need a music whiz kid for that please..apply now....whistling.gif

Off topic ,sexual innuendos removed.angry.gif Member needs help with his dongle, let's be serious for a minute.rolleyes.gif

Personally I would never touch someone else's dongle. :o

(But to answer the OP - The CAT CDMA works well and has survived for a number of years.)

Yes, :blink: I already said that :o You can buy CAT dongles and other dongles at JIB,

I assume you then go down to the CAT office in Nanthon and they will hook it up? Perhaps ask first...... CAT don't seem to sell dongles any more.... but ask how well it works in your area first.... Mine has worked well anywhere I have taken it in southern Thailand, (but not BKK, where there is a different system, Hutch I think....) ...

Off topic ,sexual innuendos removed.angry.gif Member needs help with his dongle, let's be serious for a minute.rolleyes.gif

Personally I would never touch someone else's dongle. :o

(But to answer the OP - The CAT CDMA works well and has survived for a number of years.)

Yes, :blink: I already said that :o You can buy CAT dongles and other dongles at JIB,

I assume you then go down to the CAT office in Nanthon and they will hook it up? Perhaps ask first...... CAT don't seem to sell dongles any more.... but ask how well it works in your area first.... Mine has worked well anywhere I have taken it in southern Thailand, (but not BKK, where there is a different system, Hutch I think....) ...

Ok maybe I should have been clearer from the beginning.

I have a...oh shit I seem to have lost my dongle...rolleyes.gif...anyway it was an AIS aircard I was using not 3G compatible.

What I want to know is what is the best one to buy right now.

Thanks for any more sensible replies......CAT better than AIS??

I have a...oh shit I seem to have lost my dongle...rolleyes.gif...anyway it was an AIS aircard I was using not 3G compatible.

In my experience - yes. CAT is much better than the AIS one.

In my experience - yes. CAT is much better than the AIS one.

I would agree, there seems to be a number of people here (on local forum) who use CAT's Dongle...I think from my little experience you'll find the dongle much faster than an aircard...

If you have an IPad the dongle won't work, it sucks too much power... :(

Might be an idea to cancel your old dongle account, in case someone heaven forbid, borrowed it ;)

To specifically answer the 3g question, I would say yes... it just might come one day! B)

Are you guys doubting theres 3G on Samui? Im confused as I have purchased truemove-h and is working good for me, no superspeeds but Im using an iphone for it and tethering internet connection to my notebook. Made a speedtest and it was 1 Mbit up and down. Am I missing something here?

Are you guys doubting theres 3G on Samui? Im confused as I have purchased truemove-h and is working good for me, no superspeeds but Im using an iphone for it and tethering internet connection to my notebook. Made a speedtest and it was 1 Mbit up and down. Am I missing something here?

Can you post some results here please and give me the make and model please?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Are you in Thailand?

Either way, you are looking for a modem with the specification of HSPA 850Mhz. Just give Lomatopo a PM. He may have a link to the most suitable open modem available in Thailand. Just checked the specification of your Zoom modem. As you wrote, AIS 3G and TOT 3G only.

Thanks!

Are you in Thailand?

Either way, you are looking for a modem with the specification of HSPA 850Mhz. Just give Lomatopo a PM. He may have a link to the most suitable open modem available in Thailand. Just checked the specification of your Zoom modem. As you wrote, AIS 3G and TOT 3G only.

"Open modem" I thought all modems were open in Thailand? In any case as you know Jiu Jitsu I have a decent Zoom modem....is this "open"?...ie can I change the card and just continue using it with AIS or TOT in Thailand.

Thanks.

Thanks!

Are you in Thailand?

"Open modem" I thought all modems were open in Thailand? In any case as you know Jiu Jitsu I have a decent Zoom modem....is this "open"?...ie can I change the card and just continue using it with AIS or TOT in Thailand.

Thanks.

I have no idea as to whether your modem is open or whether it is limited by software. Try putting a SIM from another provider in. If there is no pop up asking for an unlock code, you may be ok.

Then the only barrier may be if the software allows you to add the connection information for another network.

If so, then you are fine for AIS and TOT, but of course they have not reached Samui.