UN Blames Thai Govt For Poor Flood Management

webfact

If a minister in my Homecountry in a situation of flooding, would ask for 1000 boats on the river...

He or she will dressed in white shir,t and carry directly to a nice place with high vences, and a lot of

people in white dresses.

All of this politicans sitting in positions, that they can not handle like professionals.

And they resistant to learn...

Now the have no more money to pay for dutch experts, 30 years ago they was to avaricious.

First they block all water until the half land is under water, at least the must open to let it flow.

In the weather forecast was clear, raining the whole month.

:annoyed:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah like I said earlier, I guess the bad English, the bad spelling, the Thaksin being a 'sister' was all part of the sarcasm then eh?

You're an American I gather from your name? I guess it figues you could decode the bad spelling and English.

lol yeah, with a special decoding emphasis on Spanish and Hindi. Sorry, I didn't realize what you were trying to say before.

Still, no one can steer me (and others) to rainfall stats for Thailand, comparing this year with previous years ......?

My hunch is that, despite the floods, this year doesn't have particularly more rainfall than earlier years.

http://atimes.com/at...a/MJ20Ae02.html

Did you catch this in the Asia Times? "(Thaksin claimed in a press interview that he has a 400 billion baht plan to avoid future floods, though he failed to disclose details.) "

Where were his plans when he was in office all those years?

Thaksin is a rich man. Rich men usually get big loans as part of staying rich. As a rich man, T naturally thinks that throwing money at a problem will fix it, or at least he'll be part of the contracts handed out. Thaksin, like his sister and the others in charge of Thailand, can't see beyond money - to what really needs to be done to make Thailand less succeptable to drought/flood/drought/flood cycles we're experiencing nearly every year. Hint:lower population, less cement/asphalt covering fields, less deforestation, better dam management, smarter crop choices, less trash thrown everywhere. .......the list goes on, none of which costs hundreds of billions of baht.

Absolutely this rainy season is approx 25% more than normal .... this was known already probably two months ago.

Can anyone guide me to actual scientific stats that show how this year's rainfall stacks up against other years'?

Up here in Northern Thailand, it was not a particularly wet year, comparatively. I judge it by water level of the medium sized (Kok) river at a particular location. At least two of the past 13 years there's been significantly higher water level than this year. Maybe rainfall numbers are much different in Central Thailand, but we're only a couple hundred miles distant from Bkk's watershed.

Nevermind 25%; according to Yingluck, it's....

PM offers assurances on 'worst floods in history'

Anyway, asked last week without a reply...

Realizing that Plodprasop is the Science Minister, but is there any scientific basis for Yingluck's claim? .... or is it just theatrics to attempt to lessen the criticisms of her?

Is this truly the "worst flood in history"?

I'm not criticising his bad English. I'm just curious how someone could mistake it for 'sarcasm'.

It is sarcasm. This forum has blown up about the government's response to the flood, with some even saying the flood is the fault of the government. Well there is also flooding in neighboring countries, so the Tiger poster was jokingly saying that the government should also be blamed for the flooding in those other countries.

I'm sorry if you do not fully understand sarcasm. I don't know if English is your native language, but it is humor that English speakers regularly engage in.

Yeah like I said earlier, I guess the bad English, the bad spelling, the Thaksin being a 'sister' was all part of the sarcasm then eh?

You're an American I gather from your name? I guess it figues you could decode the bad spelling and English.

"I guess it figues you could decode the bad spelling and English".

I don't understand? What is this "figues" that you speak of?huh.gif

Can anyone guide me to actual scientific stats that show how this year's rainfall stacks up against other years'?

Hi Braahms, here is a good link: TMD

Check "Archive" and "Climate".

The reasons for this flooding are in my view that EGAT and Irrigation dep wanted to save record amount of water in the dams too early. Then when the tropical depressions in end of Sept and in Oct filled their dams they panicked and all the biggest 20 dams started at same time to release maximum water. All this water had only one way to go and that is the rivers down towards BKK.

I would like to see a studie where they compare for the last 10 years: Daily rainfall, Level in each dam day for day, Outlet from each dam day for day.

<_<:huh::o

Edited by svenivan

Yinlucks gang is much to powerfull, now they have created floding and caos not only here in Thailand but also in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines. Time to stop this nonsence. Its only for her to bring her sister back anyway!

Tiger

Huh?

In English it is called sarcasm.

noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark:

3. AKA 'the lowest form of wit'

D _ mn !! Beat me to it gaz!!!!

http://atimes.com/at...a/MJ20Ae02.html

Did you catch this in the Asia Times? "(Thaksin claimed in a press interview that he has a 400 billion baht plan to avoid future floods, though he failed to disclose details.) "

Where were his plans when he was in office all those years?

A rather one sided slant to the article, don't you think? Just a side suggestion here..... Why don't the Finance ministry cancel half of the useless spending for military hardware and allot it to the flood problem?

Thanks Sven, but still haven't been able to find a chart which compares rainfall stats from one year to the next. The URL didn't provide that, as far as I could find.

OK Braahms, I hold your hand and you follow me:

1. Go to the site I told you Click here

2. Click on "Climate" in the upper right corner.

3. When that page comes up, click on "Annual" under "Weather Summary" in the upper left corner.

4. Choose the year you want to see, (only choices are 2008-2009-2010)

5. Click on "More detail" and a PDF-file will be loaded. The statistics for 2008 and 2009 are more detailded than 2010.

:D :D :D

Hi Braahms, here is a good link: TMD

Check "Archive" and "Climate".

The reasons for this flooding are in my view that EGAT and Irrigation dep wanted to save record amount of water in the dams too early. Then when the tropical depressions in end of Sept and in Oct filled their dams they panicked and all the biggest 20 dams started at same time to release maximum water. All this water had only one way to go and that is the rivers down towards BKK.

I would like to see a studie where they compare for the last 10 years: Daily rainfall, Level in each dam day for day, Outlet from each dam day for day.

<_<:huh::o

Bear in mind there are lies, dam lies and statistics. <_<

3. When that page comes up, click on "Annual" under "Weather Summary" in the upper left corner.

5. Click on "More detail" and a PDF-file will be loaded. The statistics for 2008 and 2009 are more detailded than 2010.

Please hold my left hand, because my right hand is moving the mouse. Here's what was found after a bunch of clicks:

2008 was 11% wetter than normal, according to their stats.

2009 was 2% wetter

2010 was 5% wetter

Didn't find data on this year's rainfall, though I doubt it's anywhere near 25% greater than normal rainfall, as claimed by gov't officialdom.

Would like to see stats going back 25 or more years. Same for drought stats, as last year, 2010, was claimed to be the driest year in 20 years in Thailand. All in all, having record-breaking droughts and floods each successive year doesn't bode well for Thailand or its farms.

Please hold my left hand, because my right hand is moving the mouse. Here's what was found after a bunch of clicks:

2009 was 2% wetter

2010 was 5% wetter

Didn't find data on this year's rainfall, though I doubt it's anywhere near 25% greater than normal rainfall, as claimed by gov't officialdom.

Would like to see stats going back 25 or more years. Same for drought stats, as last year, 2010, was claimed to be the driest year in 20 years in Thailand. All in all, having record-breaking droughts and floods each successive year doesn't bode well for Thailand or its farms.

OK Braahms, hold my left hand and then again do point no 1 (url for tmd) and point no 2 ('Climate").

What you have on your screen is the "Amount of rainfall (mm)" that has fallen in districts around in Thailand this year 2011 until 07.AM today.

Then click on "Archive" in upper right corner. Have you found it?

OK then click on "Climate of Thailand" under "Archives" in upper left corner. Have you found it?

OK, then click on "Rainfall" and you will get the average for the years between 1971 and 2000. You will find the average per season and region and I am sorry there is no total.

I hope this gave you some more information.

:D;):lol:

2009 was 2% wetter

2010 was 5% wetter

in addition to svenivan's info, you can look at monthly rainfall, for which you have Sept 2011 and it is compared to both average rainfall and Sept 2010. That provides a bit more information and gives you some good % figures.

I still like this statement from PM Yingluck, from the 9th of this month:

"About prevention, Ms Yingluck says the government cannot prevent floods in all areas as there is too much water."

Never a truer word has been spoken ;)

The UN has responded to the Thai ASEAN Report

"Press Release No: G/54/2011 21 October 2011

United Nations Demands Retraction from Thai ASEAN News Network

Bangkok (Strategic Communications and Advocacy Section) – The United Nations has demanded an immediate retraction from the Thai ASEAN News Network for the serious misquotes of Dr. Noeleen Heyzer, United Nations Under-Secretary General and Executive Secretary of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific in a story that ran this week.

The story, which revolved around the flood situation in Thailand, falsely attributed quotes to Dr. Heyzer that criticized the government.

The reality: the United Nations has issued no statement criticizing the government, and has only offered support and assistance as Thailand faces the worse floods in more than six decades.

“These quotes are completely contrary to the solidarity and support that the United Nations is giving in Thailand,” said Dr. Heyzer. “The quotes are totally wrong and a poor reflection of journalist standards that are meant to reflect the truth.”

So the story in fact turns out to be Thai ASEAN's gross incompetence and slovenly dishonest journalism.

"in Thailand may not be a natural disaster but rather a human disaster"

a strange wording, did Noeleen say it or a journalist has made it up?

surely, the rainfall this year is larger than the last year

"in Thailand may not be a natural disaster but rather a human disaster"

a strange wording, did Noeleen say it or a journalist has made it up?

surely, the rainfall this year is larger than the last year

Absolutely this rainy season is approx 25% more than normal .... this was known already probably two months ago.

Up here in Northern Thailand, it was not a particularly wet year, comparatively. I judge it by water level of the medium sized (Kok) river at a particular location. At least two of the past 13 years there's been significantly higher water level than this year. Maybe rainfall numbers are much different in Central Thailand, but we're only a couple hundred miles distant from Bkk's watershed.

Most likely what you are looking for is not there. Better check Bhumibol & Sirkit water levels by the 1st Oct 2010 and before, and 1st Oct. this year. See any significant observation. These types of dams have one major setback. If they were beaten by flood they will pass their flood waters to downstream. All of them without any hesitation. They don't share the flood. So down stream = 3 X flood (Flood waters from Sirkit + Bhumibol + its own) . Bhumibol & Sirkit=No flood.

Bangkok (Strategic Communications and Advocacy Section) – The United Nations has demanded an immediate retraction from the Thai ASEAN News Network for the serious misquotes of Dr. Noeleen Heyzer, United Nations Under-Secretary General and Executive Secretary of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific in a story that ran this week.

The story, which revolved around the flood situation in Thailand, falsely attributed quotes to Dr. Heyzer that criticized the government.

The reality: the United Nations has issued no statement criticizing the government, and has only offered support and assistance as Thailand faces the worse floods in more than six decades.

“These quotes are completely contrary to the solidarity and support that the United Nations is giving in Thailand,” said Dr. Heyzer. “The quotes are totally wrong and a poor reflection of journalist standards that are meant to reflect the truth.”

So the story in fact turns out to be Thai ASEAN's gross incompetence and slovenly dishonest journalism.

Interesting. Please read this post from my friend tlansford

"That quote wasn't from Heyzer, but from Velasquez, and is below and he was referring to the need for a long-term strategy change when he said :"

Of course a UN official would never ever be so undiplomatic as to suggest that the country which donated most for the "Escap MultiDonor Trust Fund for Tsunami, Disaster and Climate Preparedness in the Indian Ocean and Southeast Asian Countries" might not know what it is doing at this moment. United Nations Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) Dr. Noeleen Heyzer is sure to have been very tactful in her statement. See also this from earlier this year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/03/11/national/UN-Thailand-expand-scope-of-disaster-fund-30150606.html

Edited by rubl

"These quotes are completely contrary to the solidarity and support that the United Nations is giving in Thailand," said Dr. Heyzer. "The quotes are totally wrong and a poor reflection of journalist standards that are meant to reflect the truth."

Thanks for the post jayboy. While it was obvious that TAN was, at best, being creative in their reporting, it is good to have the documented proof that they were just making up "news" to fit their agenda.

"That quote wasn't from Heyzer, but from Velasquez, and is below and he was referring to the need for a long-term strategy change when he said :"

Of course a UN official would never ever be so undiplomatic as to suggest that the country which donated most for the "Escap MultiDonor Trust Fund for Tsunami, Disaster and Climate Preparedness in the Indian Ocean and Southeast Asian Countries" might not know what it is doing at this moment. United Nations Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) Dr. Noeleen Heyzer is sure to have been very tactful in her statement. See also this from earlier this year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/03/11/national/UN-Thailand-expand-scope-of-disaster-fund-30150606.html

Thanks for this.The background you give is useful.What can't be explained away of course is the pathetic standard of journalism at Thai Asean.I have noticed this over a long period (no complaints on my side of political bias by the way) just of the third rate standards this network is prepared to live with.

"These quotes are completely contrary to the solidarity and support that the United Nations is giving in Thailand," said Dr. Heyzer. "The quotes are totally wrong and a poor reflection of journalist standards that are meant to reflect the truth."

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4780219

http://www.nationmul...d-30150606.html

Rubl - not certain about your intention with this post of yours, but it seems like you would like to discredit this reprimand from the UN.

Your selective editing of my post which you quote is a little mis-leading, and since it is just 1 page before this one, everyone can read it. The post begins with the key point :

It looks like TAN is taking liberties with other people's words again... for accurate quotes, read ...

The TAN article didn't have an accurate quote in it.

Rubl - not certain about your intention with this post of yours, but it seems like you would like to discredit this reprimand from the UN.

Your selective editing of my post which you quote is a little mis-leading, and since it is just 1 page before this one, everyone can read it. The post begins with the key point :

It looks like TAN is taking liberties with other people's words again... for accurate quotes, read ...

Dear TL, your post has a few sections, I took out one and added the link for all to see the original you posted. What more can I do?

As for my remarks on the UN, diplomats try to be diplomatic even though sometimes something might slip through. You seldomly see 'brave' statements because that's doubletalk for 'political suicide'. ESCAP top is no different. I'm not trying to discredit the UN demand for retraction, I'm just surprised with it being stated so undiplomatically clearly. It might have struck a nerve?

Edited by rubl

Dear TL, your post has a few sections, I took out one and added the link for all to see the original you posted. What more can I do?

As for my remarks on the UN, diplomats try to be diplomatic even though sometimes something might slip through. You seldomly see 'brave' statements because that's doubletalk for 'political suicide'. ESCAP top is no different. I'm not trying to discredit the UN demand for retraction, I'm just surprised with it being stated so undiplomatically clearly. It might have struck a nerve?

Maybe they just don't like being misquoted and misrepresented ???

It's not stated "undiplomatically" but it is stated clearly.

Why obfuscate ??

With compliments............

Can't Thailand get some people in charge who actually care about the country more than themselves and actually have the education to do something with some sort of plan? I guess the education system leaves Thailand with a set of representatives who are ill educated and naive and thus not equipped to even start running the country. I am sad for my family growing up in a country that should be great but which is crippled by the selfish, ignorant and corrupt people who unfortunately have power here.

Actually it should NOT be great, for the very reasons you mention in the last sentence. Be smart, don't let your family grow up in this cesspool.

- Snip -

philw got it right.

And like I stated, "Your selective editing ... is a little mis-leading" - it was the way you jumped into the middle of the post, but no harm done. OK?

I suspect TAN did hit a nerve - the one that doesn't like to be intentionally misquoted. I state that with such certainty, because it would be really hard to generate the misquoted texts "by accident". As for your surprise at their directness, that's OK. As for me... It didn't really surprise me at all.

Maybe they just don't like being misquoted and misrepresented ???

It's not stated "undiplomatically" but it is stated clearly.

Why obfuscate ??

With compliments............

After restoring some quote headers to get javascript to allow posting:

For a UN organisation to "demand retraction' is strong language, especially since this is not one of the 'peace enforcement' organisations. So in my opinion the incorrect quote by TAN still struck a nerve. Almost like the note from FROC a few hours ago with spokesman PolGen Phongsathat insisted that Froc has never issued a warning for Bangkokians to move belongings to high ground at least 1 metre after the government had ordered all water gates open to drain excess water to the sea." And PM Yingluck said so on a televised address on Saturday.

No obfuscution, at least not on my side <_<

( http://www.unescap.org/unis/press/2011/oct/g54_retraction-quotation.pdf )

Try this one also:

"2009-08-30

Just three months after United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon issued a lofty declaration on World Press Freedom Day (May 3) hailing the "important role of the media in addressing global problems", the security unit of the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (Escap) has scrapped the accreditation of a number of Bangkok-based journalists.

UN Information Services (Unis) chief Hak-Fan Lau vehemently denies as "completely baseless" any suggestion that this is a move to curb editorial freedom. Rather, he insists, it is to enhance the "security" of the UN's Ratchadamnoen regional headquarters and protect it from the kind of attacks that other UN buildings have faced in different parts of the world. How this handful of journalists pose a security threat remains unproven, especially as some have covered Escap for longer than many Escap staff themselves have been in this country."

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=111822

Edited by rubl

No one should be surprised that the political threads on the TV news forum are dominated by anti-PTP/Thaksin/Red posters. The material which starts each thread and drives the whole forum is generally created to evoke exactly that viewpoint.

I don't want to discredit those critics who can come up with structured, reasoned analysis of their targets' failings based on facts and figures that can be backed up using sources outside of the 'rant in a box' kits peddled by TAN and often The Nation.

It's the nutters who take at face value the shoddy journalism (putting it politely) and then use it to fuel their ever-growing exasperation to the point of fabricating rubbish to bolster their hatred - they're the ones who cheapen the genuine criticism and derail threads from becoming reasoned debates.

I'm interested to hear details about how and why the government mismanaged the flooding, but I kind of get turned off the 'anti' train when people come up with ideas like 'Thaksin-friendly areas had water diverted away from them at the cost of everyone else' and then insult others for questioning them.

Still, all are welcome at this Temple of Dissatisfaction. And now, let us criticize:

"Our Tyrant, who art in Dubai,

Despicable be thy name...."

etc etc