Tabain Bann?

fireman

A Tabien Baan is what is commonly known in the English translation as a Family Book, however Tabien is "a register/roll" and Baan is "home". Anyone living under one roof should have their name in this book, not sure of when a newborn needs to be registered.

If they move out, they need to register on a new Tabien Baan for that building or gain a new Tabien Baan for a new building. No Thai person can be on two Tabien Baans at one time. The address on a Thai ID card is the same as that on their Tabien Baan. Most children are registered on their parents' Tabien Baan.

It is the log book issued by the District Office for a residential property which lists those people living at that address. It is one of the two essential papers for most Thai to be listed on (along with an ID card after age 15).

Yes. It's an archaic, yet inexplicably important way of keeping population records.

I mostly translate it with 'House registration document'. More than just the house though, it registers the people who (supposedly) live there.

The document is required for MANY official transaction sin Thailand. Like get a mobile phone subscription, you need to show a copy of your tabian ban.

It's incredibly silly because typically people are NOT added to the registration of a house or apartment they RENT. Needless to say millions of Thais who migrate to cities live in rented apartments or condos and the like. Yet they're registered at their parents house in Ban Bumfak, Nakhon Nowhere, and MANY official transactions (birth, marriage, ID card) require going back there to get thigns done.

So there we have it: Thai authorities have no clue who actually lives where, because people are registetred at great-grandma's abode in Nakon Nowhere even though the family lived in rented accommodstion in Bangkok for years.

Anyway, I just had my daughter registered on grandma's house. :o My name and everything. took 5 minutes and 5 baht in fees. :-)

Not too silly because whenever the police need to track someone down, they often can get a hold of them through their tabien baan. Most Thais, if you even suggest you're going to take their parents in for questioning, the turn up out of nowhere and turn themselves in. Country families are especially cohesive, even if they are living in different cities.

It's also a check/balance against illegals where most people can get fake ids made, however it's more difficult to get on the tabien baan.

Note: the tabien baan does NOT show ownership, it only shows residence. The "jao baan" of the tabien baan is not necessarily the owner. On the owner on the chanote is the actual owner.

:o

Edited by Heng

You don't need to be married to get the tabien bahn (by the way - funny that someone tries to correct bahn to baan when we in reality are talking sound language). I got a yellow one, and my name in it - on the condo I own.

It has been useful multiple times already - latest yesterday when was turned down for internet banking at head office BKK Bank - but when I pulled out the yellow book - a quick call to manager ensured no problem for me.

No fee involved but was a hassle to get the yellow book. Do a search for tabien bahn here for older threads on that.

Cheers!

This is also available for farangs married to Thais. The farang gets a yellow book.

Barry

Yes. It's an archaic, yet inexplicably important way of keeping population records.

I mostly translate it with 'House registration document'. More than just the house though, it registers the people who (supposedly) live there.

The document is required for MANY official transaction sin Thailand. Like get a mobile phone subscription, you need to show a copy of your tabian ban.

It's incredibly silly because typically people are NOT added to the registration of  a house or apartment they RENT. Needless to say millions of Thais who migrate to cities live in rented apartments or condos and the like. Yet they're registered at their parents house in Ban Bumfak, Nakhon Nowhere, and MANY official transactions (birth, marriage, ID card) require going back there to get thigns done.

So there we have it: Thai authorities have no clue who actually lives where, because people are registetred at great-grandma's abode in Nakon Nowhere even though the family lived in rented accommodstion in Bangkok for years.

Anyway, I just had my daughter registered on grandma's house. :o My name and everything. took 5 minutes and 5 baht in fees. :-)

And so much cheaper than a modern census. Alas. it is a grossly inaccurate count