Where Do You See Thailand In 10-15 Years

expatdreamer

Thailand, meaning Bangkok, the part that counts, will be like Singapore.

This made me laugh so hard.

Bangkok will NEVER be like Singapore. 10 - 15 years from now it will still be same old dirty city it has always been.

Oh wait, there will be a few more BTS-stations and perhaps a few more shopping malls along Sukhumvit road, but thats about it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

flooded :whistling:

Flooded with Chinese :jap:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2011-06/01/content_12624526.htm

Once the Chinese bad boys arrive in town they will outspend the Japanese, and you know how much the girls perk up when they see Japanese men walk in. So get ready for some inflation in Pattaya and other monger hotspots.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/New-opportunities-from-Chinese-tourism-30167221.html

The current gender imbalance in China will force young Chinese men to look overseas for brides, and with Thailand actively pushing tourism in China get ready for some hot competition!!

:whistling:

Some more specific questions I guess I have are:

•Is it still going to be a place where someone with a reasonable / modest retirement and savings by Western standard's can live a better life than they would in the West?

•Will there still be a bar scene / entertainment options such as exist today , or will it be in decline due to other jobs available?

•Will Western men in their 50s still be in demand (at least in greater demand compared to their demand in the Western world) and be able to go on dates with Thai women in their 20s-30s?

•Will it still be fun (sanook factor)?

•Will there still be a big gap between rich and poor (yes I know that exists in every country) but will there be a growing middle class due to increasing education levels and employment opportunities?

•Will locals still be receptive to having retired Western expats reside in their country?

My answers:

1. Yes, but not as big of a difference. Depends a lot on what your desired lifestyle is.

2. Undoubtably...but different. After all, look at the history. 200 years ago..even more...such a thing existed...but different in style from today. It won't change that much in another 20 years.

3. Probably...based on answer to #2

4. Very likely

5. Without a doubt but the gap will be narrower. I first came to Thailand in 1979, and the change in the general standard of living is dramatic from that time to now. I've seen the change myself.

6. Yes, I think so, as long as the western expat learns to live according to Thai standards of behavior and not try to prove his/her assumed cultural superiority over the Thais he/she meets (the Drunken Brit in Pattaya syndrome, I call it). In other words don't be a pompous ass---e about it.

:D

...many good points about the future of Bangkok.

You can go to amazon.com and read the sci-fi book review entitled "The Wind-Up Girl."

Supposed to be Krung Thep in 300 years. Interesting read, except it is happening NOW.

Good Kindle download.

One aspect to keep in mind: the days of cheap Bkk-Europe or USA-BKK flights might go the way of the dodo.

Because we have run out of petrol? No, because ailrines will have consolidated into 2-3 major carriers and the fixed price

will be astronomical.

Learn Tai. Hire a prviate tutor and get the children's coloring books where you trace over each and every letter of their alphabet

Think of passah Tai as Legos: building blocks all piled upon one another. It will give you something to do and point you in the proper direction.

Yes, beaver away at your falang job and then learn to live like a Tai when you arrive in the Kingdom.

Everyone has to start someplace, sometime. The more you are in the Kingdom, the more you will learn.

But taking a break in the West has its advantages as well.

You'll be collecting your own stories...like "...I stay loom" or "...I drop phone in toilet." Uh, no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ5G17-FG7E&feature=player embedded#%21

I'll dust off out the crystal ball and give you my slant.

Much of the future of Thailand hinges on the political environment with the inevitable changes in the monarchy and the ensuing power struggle amongst the military, elites and democracy. Will the future of Thailand appear similar to Myanmar or Luxembourg, who knows.

Prices will continue to rise in the Kingdom as the great equalization of economies continues. If you want to live a western lifestyle in Thailand, be prepared to pay as much, if not more for it than you do at home. This is true now and more so in the future.

The tourist trade and flesh pots of Thailand will always persist, although the sanook factor has been on the decline for some time and will continue. Thailand will become less and less a factor for naughty boys as prices continue to rise and other venues become more attractive and affordable...

My suggestion would be to not limit your list of retirement destinations to Thailand only. There are plenty of places around the world that offer affordable, safe and friendly havens to those who can afford it.

• Is it still going to be a place where someone with a reasonable / modest retirement and savings by Western standard's can live a better life than they would in the West? NO BECAUSE OF CIVIL UNREST
  • Will there still be a bar scene / entertainment options such as exist today , or will it be in decline due to other jobs available? YES BUT THE ECONOMY WILL BE IN SHAMBLES
  • Will Western men in their 50s still be in demand (at least in greater demand compared to their demand in the Western world) and be able to go on dates with Thai women in their 20s-30s? YES
  • Will it still be fun (sanook factor)? NOT AS MUCH DUE TO A TERRIBLE DEVELOPMENT PLAN AND ECONOMIC CHAOS DUE TO CLIMATE CHANGE AND INSANE ECONOMIC PLANNING AND POPULATION GROWTH AND HORRIBLE EDUCATION SYSTEMS AND GENERAL GLOBAL ECONOMIC COLLAPSE
  • Will there still be a big gap between rich and poor (yes I know that exists in every country) but will there be a growing middle class due to increasing education levels and employment opportunities? YES AND REVOLUTION WILL BE THE DISH OF THE MOMENT
  • Will locals still be receptive to having retired Western expats reside in their country? NO BECAUSE XENOPHOBIA WILL CONTINUE TO RISE

SORRY, I WISH I COULD BE MORE POSITIVE. BY THE WAY, I AM NOT SHOUTING BY USING ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. I THINK IT MAKES MY RESPONSES EASIER TO READ.

Read your responses with interest and I would say that your assessments are probably "right on the money"!

Your point re "civil unrest" is IMHO the most valid of all, and whilst I'd like to hope for the best for Thailand, I'd say that this is probably the biggest wild card at this stage.

BTW,.. no shouting was perceived at all but I respect the way that you explained that and thus making it clear. :)

I see Europe will have to adopt a protectionist system. Large tax on imports from Asia, especially China and India. A step back from the globalisation process. More jobs in the west, manufacturing and agriculture. Personally I dont think this free market stuff works.

...ry closely tied with the US and the $US.

Yeah. Put on import duties till they cancel Christmas and see the elves queuing up for their dole in China. See Wal-Mart go to the Wal.

SC

Anyway, here come the anthems, so grab a tin out the fridge and settle down...

• Is it still going to be a place where someone with a reasonable / modest retirement and savings by Western standard's can live a better life than they would in the West? NO BECAUSE OF CIVIL UNREST
  • Will there still be a bar scene / entertainment options such as exist today , or will it be in decline due to other jobs available? YES BUT THE ECONOMY WILL BE IN SHAMBLES
  • Will Western men in their 50s still be in demand (at least in greater demand compared to their demand in the Western world) and be able to go on dates with Thai women in their 20s-30s? YES
  • Will it still be fun (sanook factor)? NOT AS MUCH DUE TO A TERRIBLE DEVELOPMENT PLAN AND ECONOMIC CHAOS DUE TO CLIMATE CHANGE AND INSANE ECONOMIC PLANNING AND POPULATION GROWTH AND HORRIBLE EDUCATION SYSTEMS AND GENERAL GLOBAL ECONOMIC COLLAPSE
  • Will there still be a big gap between rich and poor (yes I know that exists in every country) but will there be a growing middle class due to increasing education levels and employment opportunities? YES AND REVOLUTION WILL BE THE DISH OF THE MOMENT
  • Will locals still be receptive to having retired Western expats reside in their country? NO BECAUSE XENOPHOBIA WILL CONTINUE TO RISE

SORRY, I WISH I COULD BE MORE POSITIVE. BY THE WAY, I AM NOT SHOUTING BY USING ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. I THINK IT MAKES MY RESPONSES EASIER TO READ.

Read your responses with interest and I would say that your assessments are probably "right on the money"!

Your point re "civil unrest" is IMHO the most valid of all, and whilst I'd like to hope for the best for Thailand, I'd say that this is probably the biggest wild card at this stage.

BTW,.. no shouting was perceived at all but I respect the way that you explained that and thus making it clear. :)

Thank you for commenting on my perception of future reality (and it is only my perception). The civil unrest is happening now along with rising crime which I failed to point out. But, to be fair, civil unrest seems to be happening worldwide! I do not want to get off topic, but I do think civil unrest is associated with several factors that do not only apply to Thailand: globalization of the economy (forming a global slave labor class), centralization of the economy (1% now own almost all of it), unrestrained population growth (causing a gross imbalance between quality jobs and numbers of youth who need them), control over the mainstream mass media by the 1% (teaching the 99% what they need to know to exploit themselves), almost no action in terms of sustainable energy (which is the foundation of all economic activity), corruption in the political sector, etc. It is a train wreck in slow motion. In 10-15 years it will be obvious, I am afraid.

Regarding your financial situation in the next 10 years, it probably depends if your retirement money is labelled in $ or € (or another money).

Although it might not appear so according to the happening crisis, the € will probably be a stronger money in the 5 or 10 next years (as it will be more used as a 'reserved money', sorry don't know the correct english expression for this), especially against the $.

Of course, the THB (and other asian moneys such as the RMB) will probably go up too but my guess will be that if you get an income in € you will be much safer than if you get it in $.

On the other hand, you have to to add the inflation in the equation and this is of course in the bad way.

We're entering a world of inflation (probably hyper inflation) wich will impact every country in the world.

Well i see now my crystall ball is broken so i'll probably leave another expert to answer you exactly :)

Note -many people think China is on the verge of a collapse.

Like whom?

Me.......no doubt you are an expert in Chinese internal affairs, so you will be aware of the 200,000 blah blah

Err, I beg your pardon? I asked a reasonable question and get a load of sneering bullshit back. Whether what you say has any credence, I don't know, but as you chose to post in such a manner, I didn't feel inclined to trawl through it.

Like whom?

Me.......no doubt you are an expert in Chinese internal affairs, so you will be aware of the 200,000 blah blah

Err, I beg your pardon? I asked a reasonable question and get a load of sneering bullshit back. Whether what you say has any credence, I don't know, but as you chose to post in such a manner, I didn't feel inclined to trawl through it.

I'm with you. A lot of people believe that China is on the verge of collapse. I don't have a strong opinion, but it is a belief held by some experts.

I would stick with the economies that had proved themselves for hundreds of years for my pension...

SC

I agree, and here we have an OP wondering if men in their 50's will still be in demand in Thailand in 15 years time.

I don't think there are many people going to bed tonight worrying about that.

Not worried about it, but it's a serious question. If I am not going to be in demand in my 50's, I may as well get married a second time here in the West to some age appropriate Western wife who I will never be able to please and who can take me to the cleaners once I call an end to my working days, leaving me destitute.

But yes, admit I might be overplanning it just a little.

Try this alternative plan of action.......earn, earn and earn again.

Doing exactly that mate, doing exactly that

Like whom?

You got the graceless answer that your graceless response to BuffaloRescue deserved, and now your stomping off the playground taking your toys with you. Up to you. :passifier:

Some of the people, ( in fact I would say many ) put real effort and thought into their answers, I recognize that and appreciate it.

ps By not reviewing the information posted your only showing a level of ignorance that no one should be proud of. If I have annoyed you so much I would make a point of researching and deconstructing my response. I'm not always right, and when I'm wrong I hold my hands up.

Over to you tw25rw

You got the graceless answer that your graceless response to BuffaloRescue deserved, and now your stomping off the playground taking your toys with you. Up to you. :passifier:

Some of the people, ( in fact I would say many ) put real effort and thought into their answers, I recognize that and appreciate it.

ps By not reviewing the information posted your only showing a level of ignorance that no one should be proud of. If I have annoyed you so much I would make a point of researching and deconstructing my response. I'm not always right, and when I'm wrong I hold my hands up.

Over to you tw25rw

Graceless? Do I have to suck up when I ask a simple question? Is that the problem? I didn't bow to you as an all knowing oracle?

Welcome to my ignore filter.

Over to you tw25rw

Graceless? Do I have to suck up when I ask a simple question? Is that the problem? I didn't bow to you as an all knowing oracle?

The great thing about putting people on one's "ignore" list is that it is so easy to let them have the last word.

I'm always worried that they might have something useful to say, perhaps on another thread, so I never add people to that list. So I need to rely on self-discipline to let futile arguments drop. Not easy, as you can see....

SC

Over to you tw25rw

The great thing about putting people on one's "ignore" list is that it is so easy to let them have the last word.

I'm always worried that they might have something useful to say, perhaps on another thread, so I never add people to that list. So I need to rely on self-discipline to let futile arguments drop. Not easy, as you can see....

SC

True. Like you, I was interested in some expert opinion and don't really have a strong opinion myself.

Over to you tw25rw

SC

There is one poster who put me on his ignore list I think. He is a childish kind of person who can't stand to read anyone who disagrees with him. Imagine a full grown man stomping up and down like a 5 year old and taking his football and going home because he didn't win the game.

I agree when you put someone on ignore you run a risk of that person making you look silly. I am saving up my sarcasm for the time when I can sock it to the one person who has put me on ignore. He says a lot of silly things and it is just a matter of time before he gets his just reward and the great part is my word will go down as the last word.

As it is I don't hold a grudge and that person has asked a couple of questions I had the answer to and would have been glad to share the information with him but I can't PM him. Even when you make an enemy on TV there is hope of someday similarities of living as an ex pat in Thailand may outweigh differences and a friendship could have been salvaged.

Can't have that. I don't get why someone would put someone on "ignore" who is very likely going to follow them around insulting every post.

If you can be disciplined about it, the ignore filter can make it much nicer to visit this forum. I like to filter out all the TIT brigade whose only contribution is criticisms of the country, whether or not they have any personal experience of what they are saying. A few others are wannabe comedians or those who are desperate to be enigmatic and who just post nonsense.. I don't expect everyone to take things seriously or always be polite, but filtering out drivel makes it quicker and easier to browse the forum.. However I do have a habit of viewing filtered posts, only for it to confirm my original judgement..

Over to you tw25rw

SC

There is one poster who put me on his ignore list I think. He is a childish kind of person who can't stand to read anyone who disagrees with him. Imagine a full grown man stomping up and down like a 5 year old and taking his football and going home because he didn't win the game.

I agree when you put someone on ignore you run a risk of that person making you look silly. I am saving up my sarcasm for the time when I can sock it to the one person who has put me on ignore. He says a lot of silly things and it is just a matter of time before he gets his just reward and the great part is my word will go down as the last word.

As it is I don't hold a grudge and that person has asked a couple of questions I had the answer to and would have been glad to share the information with him but I can't PM him. Even when you make an enemy on TV there is hope of someday similarities of living as an ex pat in Thailand may outweigh differences and a friendship could have been salvaged.

What makes you think there's only one?

I sometimes believe that the whole forum has me on their ignore list, then I re-read what I've written, sober in the morning, and think sheepishly "maybe that was six-pints humour...baah"

Maybe I'll buy a football...

SC

Can’t really understand why people go as far as putting someone on ignore.

Some people take things to seriously I guess.

Anyway back on topic.

In ten years time mrs meom will be 64, the mia noi will be 52 and I’ll be broke supporting the both of them.

Karma is a bitch ain’t it.

If everything goes like it did in the past ten years, then life will certainly cost much more in ten to fifteen years. However, many unexpected things can and will happen. History does not go in a straight line. The economy may stop growing for different reasons or even deterioate. For instance, the recent flood may discourage companies to establish in Thailand or violence may increase. But it would be wise to plan as if the cost of living will increase as it is now the trend.

I think the nightlife will continue as it is today but it may cost more. The Thai being Buddhists have not been brought up believing that sex is a sin outside marriage as Christian have been.

Renoir

I agree, and here we have an OP wondering if men in their 50's will still be in demand in Thailand in 15 years time.

Not worried about it, but it's a serious question. If I am not going to be in demand in my 50's, I may as well get married a second time here in the West to some age appropriate Western wife who I will never be able to please and who can take me to the cleaners once I call an end to my working days, leaving me destitute.

So you worry about being taken to cleaners if you marry a Western woman,but have te intention to marry a Thai prostitute 30 years younger than yourself.

Or did you really think retirees are,or ever were, in demand by the office ladies?

1. Is it still going to be a place where someone with a reasonable / modest retirement and savings by Western standard's can live a better life than they would in the West?

Take into consideration a 3-4% price rise per year.

In 10 years = 35-45%

In 15 years = 55-80%

I don't know if your pension/income is linked to the inflation in your country, but if you come here, try to invest some of your money in a Thai savings plan (currently 3-3.5% per year) in order to avoid the inflation.

2. Will there still be a bar scene / entertainment options such as exist today , or will it be in decline due to other jobs available?

It will still be here, but prices will definitely go up, as salaries for other jobs will increase.

The millions of poor farmers and farmer daughters would ensure a supply of working girls.

3. Will Western men in their 50s still be in demand (at least in greater demand compared to their demand in the Western world) and be able to go on dates with Thai women in their 20s-30s?

Maybe among divorced/single women with kids, not among "regular" 20s-30s women.

Unless of course you are rich.

4. Will it still be fun (sanook factor)?

Up to you :)

5. Will there still be a big gap between rich and poor (yes I know that exists in every country) but will there be a growing middle class due to increasing education levels and employment opportunities?

Sure.

And by the way, the gap here is much wider than in Europe, and it's not closing much due to lack of high skilled jobs (a farm worker/construction worker/7-11 clerk will never be middle class).

6. Will locals still be receptive to having retired Western expats reside in their country?

Here I have no clue...

So you worry about being taken to cleaners if you marry a Western woman,but have te intention to marry a Thai prostitute 30 years younger than yourself.

Or did you really think retirees are,or ever were, in demand by the office ladies?

Office girls sure. Mid level supervisors in industrial settings sure. The lady at the desk at the bank who handles my six accounts, yup. The lady who gives my my yearly visa at immigration, yes. The manager at the restaurant where I eat frequently yes. Nurses at my doctors office, ya every time I go in. And the lady who lives with me is an engineer at a steel company. She has an office so I guess you could call her an office girl. I don't live in a tourist area.

Office girls sure. Mid level supervisors in industrial settings sure. The lady at the desk at the bank who handles my six accounts, yup. The lady who gives my my yearly visa at immigration, yes. The manager at the restaurant where I eat frequently yes. Nurses at my doctors office, ya every time I go in. And the lady who lives with me is an engineer at a steel company. She has an office so I guess you could call her an office girl. I don't live in a tourist area.

No,if you claim that they are on average 30 years younger than you,then you obviously live in dreamworld.