If You Dont Like Thailand Why Not Leave?

BuffaloRescue

I see many people complaining about Thailands politics, police, people, culture, education blah blah.

While i know Thailand isnt perfect there are some really great things about Thailand but I see so many haters here.

The way I see it, if thailand had a good economy, good politicians, un-corrupt police, good education, good management of natural disasters etc - then Thailand would not be an attractive place for people to live. I mean a lot of people just live in Thailand because it is cheap and they feel free to do what they want. If all the above problems were sorted out, then it would be a first world country and many of these haters wouldnt or couldnt be here. People dont like living in farangland because its expensive, full of rules and red tape, the women want too much money etc. So - you have to take the good with the bad!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Original Post of the week.........................................Not!

Was just thinking the same thing.

All we need now is a sin-sod thread, and perhaps one about whether or not the word 'farang' is racist.

Is there any way for me to get my sin-sod money back since I now hate the place and want to leave because they all call me a 'farang' everytime I try and buy potatoes and black tea at the local Tesco. I blame the people, the education system, the culture, and the corrupt politicians, and the feral dogs.

We of the round eye persuasion have no voice and no power in a foreign environment. Having come from a prior existence of at least partial credibility the loss of any credibility is indeed frustrating. So we vent amongst our equals. If you have a problem with this venting why don't you leave.

There are people that complain about almost everything in life. I just went through a gigantic post a few weeks ago how I was burnt out on the place. My post was more of a social problem pertaining to my past life and a bit of social culture. Thailand has many faults as many other countries and people. My country also has faults that I was directly involved with in my profession almost everyday. The truth is, many people who have retired here, including myself, are a little burnt out on the myriad of laws and regulations in there home country. The truth is Thailand is so much less restrictive than many people here are used to and many retirees find that refreshing. I know , I do. However, it's not unusual, at times, for ex-pats to vent their frustrations about the country comparing it to where they come from. Even though there are complaints from many at times, these same people are still here and enjoying their life as much and in most cases more then their home country. So ..... you probably shouldn't judge all the people who live here by a few complaints. I too have had problems here, maybe more then others, but I'm still here and can leave when I choose.

Edited by paulian

From what I've been able to see after 15 years of coming to Thaiand is the very things we complain about, which are valid complaints, are also the very things that makes Thailand unique and attractive. It's a place where you DO have to make it on your own. You get very little support from government. There is a quiet satisfaction of being able to survive DESPITE all the obstacles.

All we need now is a sin-sod thread, and perhaps one about whether or not the word 'farang' is racist.

I can't wait!

This:

Once you've lived here for decent stretch of time - and I'm thinking 15 years plus here - you will come to the realisation that the world that you came from; the world that you, so often, use as a baseline for your criticisms of the way things are in Thailand, does not exist anymore. You will be severely dissappointed to find that the only place where it exists is inside your head. And if you were to go back to that mythical place, that you cling to as a crutch to justify why your view of how things should be in Thailand is correct (and why the Thai have it wrong), you will be incredibly shocked to find that you don't fit in anymore and that life there is far more difficult and tedious than it could ever be in the "land of Smiles."

You will appreciate the following:

1. That you can step out of your door at any time of the day or night and get a decent bowl of noodle soup within 5 minutes walk of your abode.

2. You can buy a reasonable range of alcohol from a 7/11 and that there are plenty of them everywhere.

3. That you can go to a bar/gogo/night club and receive undevided attention from a bevy of lovely ladies (even though it is largely an act).

4. That you are, everyday, eating some of the worlds best food that people back in those mythical lands (you come from) pay a fortune for and only get to eat occaissionally.

5. That the weather is always warm, and as you advance on in years, the problems with old joint injuries seem to be more managable in the said warm climate.

6. That health care is, by and large, very good and is inexpensive compared to the cost back in those mythical lands - As an aside; I have comprehensive accident and medical insurance through SCB. It's 26000 baht a year. I've used it a couple of times and I've never handed over a single baht at the hospitals I use. I just hand over my insurance card and that's the end of it.

7. If you give someone a smile - even someone you've never met before - you will almost always get a smile back in return.

8. That Thailand is a relatively free and easy place to live and that those mythical lands have become PC governed, over taxing, police states.

Well said, Megalithic. NOWHERE is there a place without faults. The internet has changed the world forever. Nowhere are there secrets anymore. But, it takes a bit of world travel and good observational skills to see behind the veil of secrecy.

I think the anonymity of internet forums makes them all seem full of 'haters' as the OP put it - even meditation forums get bogged down in flaming, trolling and other nonsense from time to time!. I think that this forum has become a lot better over the few years I've been a member as the mods do a good job; it used to be full of really sarcastic and negative comments even when a tragedy was reported but now you actually find board members offering sympathy, compassion and advice.

I can't wait!

Funny you should mention it.....

I divorced my wife of nigh on 12 years ( and after knowing her for about 16 ) last week because she's from Isaan and I realised after reading the invaluable opinions made by the Thai experts on TVF that she was uneducated, only after money for her and her scum sucking family and a rabid Thaksin's cock sucking red shirt. Despite her protestations that she was financially independent being financial director for a Japanese company located here, her folks not needing money because, as she reminded me, when I screwed up the money transfer to buy a new car her dad gave me a near million baht bridging loan and the fact that she'd never voted in her life because she had more important things to think about like her job, me and our daughter I decided to go with the irrefutable facts presented by some posters here and kick her Central World burning arse to the curb.

Anyhow I was in the bank and I caught the eye of this sweet young thing. Turns out, unlike my trollop of an ex, that she's highly educated (BA from Rajahbat Saraburi ) and has a good job as a bank teller not like all other foreigners wives in Isaan who're all prostitutes! Plus she's not a lazy good for nothing but rioting and drinking lao kao Isaanite but from Saraburi! Quids in!

Of course I proposed to her on the spot and she said I'd have to meet her mother because she'd expect sinsod. As she pointed out because she's educated and holding down a good job then a figure of 2 million baht wouldn't be amiss for such a catch. What do you guys think?

Anyhow I was walking with her through the local market to the gold shop because the i-phone shop was closed and there was this old granny selling guavas. I couldn't believe my ears! She was yelling " FARANG! FARANG!" at the top of her voice not even considering I was within earshot. MY GOD ALL THAI PEOPLE ARE STUPID. Would they shout " NIG NOG! NIG NOG! " if a black guy was waking through there? I guess so.

Later we were on the songtaew and there were 2 young guys talking together. All I heard was "Farang" this and " Farang" that. I was incensed even after my bride to be told me that they were discussing a westerner who was aiding famine relief in Africa and not talking about me personally but I know racism when I see it. Face facts gentlemen. THAIS DON'T WANT US HERE and if it weren't for the fact that I was such an underachieveing <deleted> with a massive chip on his shoulder about people more successful than me back home and it makes me feel big when I denigrate Thais ( apart from the ones that are richer than me - but they're obviously corrupt in obtaining their wealth because as we all know ALL THAIS ARE STUPID) I'd be on the first plane out of here I can tell you!

This:

Once you've lived here for decent stretch of time - and I'm thinking 15 years plus here - you will come to the realisation that the world that you came from; the world that you, so often, use as a baseline for your criticisms of the way things are in Thailand, does not exist anymore. You will be severely dissappointed to find that the only place where it exists is inside your head. And if you were to go back to that mythical place, that you cling to as a crutch to justify why your view of how things should be in Thailand is correct (and why the Thai have it wrong), you will be incredibly shocked to find that you don't fit in anymore and that life there is far more difficult and tedious than it could ever be in the "land of Smiles."

1. That you can step out of your door at any time of the day or night and get a decent bowl of noodle soup within 5 minutes walk of your abode.

2. You can buy a reasonable range of alcohol from a 7/11 and that there are plenty of them everywhere.

3. That you can go to a bar/gogo/night club and receive undevided attention from a bevy of lovely ladies (even though it is largely an act).

4. That you are, everyday, eating some of the worlds best food that people back in those mythical lands (you come from) pay a fortune for and only get to eat occaissionally.

5. That the weather is always warm, and as you advance on in years, the problems with old joint injuries seem to be more managable in the said warm climate.

6. That health care is, by and large, very good and is inexpensive compared to the cost back in those mythical lands - As an aside; I have comprehensive accident and medical insurance through SCB. It's 26000 baht a year. I've used it a couple of times and I've never handed over a single baht at the hospitals I use. I just hand over my insurance card and that's the end of it.

7. If you give someone a smile - even someone you've never met before - you will almost always get a smile back in return.

8. That Thailand is a relatively free and easy place to live and that those mythical lands have become PC governed, over taxing, police states.

Agreed.

Later we were on the songtaew and there were 2 young guys talking together. All I heard was "Farang" this and " Farang" that. I was incensed even after my bride to be told me that they were discussing a westerner who was aiding famine relief in Africa and not talking about me personally but I know racism when I see it.

You are well rid of her!

This:

Some very good points...

Of course, I agree with the OP. It isn't even the complaining that I detest, it's the racist attitudes and hatred towards the Thais that I find so contemptible. I particularly find this point by the OP quite valid:

[The way I see it, if thailand had a good economy, good politicians, un-corrupt police, good education, good management of natural disasters etc - then Thailand would not be an attractive place for people to live. I mean a lot of people just live in Thailand because it is cheap and they feel free to do what they want. If all the above problems were sorted out, then it would be a first world country and many of these haters wouldnt or couldnt be here.]

No need to look to the future. This place already exist. It's called Japan. Or even Singapore. Are farangs flocking to these places? Of course not. The Thai-hating sorts can't afford it. When they talk options, they bring up the same tired places, e.g., Cambodia, Vietnam, the PI. Comical. Personally, I don't care where these Thai-hating whackjobs go, just so long as they leave.

Later we were on the songtaew and there were 2 young guys talking together. All I heard was "Farang" this and " Farang" that. I was incensed even after my bride to be told me that they were discussing a westerner who was aiding famine relief in Africa and not talking about me personally but I know racism when I see it.

You are well rid of her!

I'm not sure, UG, but I think his entire rant was somewhat satirical.

You are well rid of her!

Come one anyone not seeing that has less brain cells than a red shirt :D

Edited by robblok

We of the round eye persuasion have no voice and no power in a foreign environment. Having come from a prior existence of at least partial credibility the loss of any credibility is indeed frustrating. So we vent amongst our equals. If you have a problem with this venting why don't you leave.

+1 clap2.gif

I can't wait!

I divorced my wife of nigh on 12 years ( and after knowing her for about 16 ) last week because she's from Isaan and I realised after reading the invaluable opinions made by the Thai experts on TVF that she was uneducated, only after money for her and her scum sucking family and a rabid Thaksin's cock sucking red shirt. Despite her protestations that she was financially independent being financial director for a Japanese company located here, her folks not needing money because, as she reminded me, when I screwed up the money transfer to buy a new car her dad gave me a near million baht bridging loan and the fact that she'd never voted in her life because she had more important things to think about like her job, me and our daughter I decided to go with the irrefutable facts presented by some posters here and kick her Central World burning arse to the curb.

Anyhow I was in the bank and I caught the eye of this sweet young thing. Turns out, unlike my trollop of an ex, that she's highly educated (BA from Rajahbat Saraburi ) and has a good job as a bank teller not like all other foreigners wives in Isaan who're all prostitutes! Plus she's not a lazy good for nothing but rioting and drinking lao kao Isaanite but from Saraburi! Quids in!

Of course I proposed to her on the spot and she said I'd have to meet her mother because she'd expect sinsod. As she pointed out because she's educated and holding down a good job then a figure of 2 million baht wouldn't be amiss for such a catch. What do you guys think?

Anyhow I was walking with her through the local market to the gold shop because the i-phone shop was closed and there was this old granny selling guavas. I couldn't believe my ears! She was yelling " FARANG! FARANG!" at the top of her voice not even considering I was within earshot. MY GOD ALL THAI PEOPLE ARE STUPID. Would they shout " NIG NOG! NIG NOG! " if a black guy was waking through there? I guess so.

Later we were on the songtaew and there were 2 young guys talking together. All I heard was "Farang" this and " Farang" that. I was incensed even after my bride to be told me that they were discussing a westerner who was aiding famine relief in Africa and not talking about me personally but I know racism when I see it. Face facts gentlemen. THAIS DON'T WANT US HERE and if it weren't for the fact that I was such an underachieveing <deleted> with a massive chip on his shoulder about people more successful than me back home and it makes me feel big when I denigrate Thais ( apart from the ones that are richer than me - but they're obviously corrupt in obtaining their wealth because as we all know ALL THAIS ARE STUPID) I'd be on the first plane out of here I can tell you!

great post MCA

you may have found a way to insult everyone and tell the truth by wrapping it up in satire and not get sanctioned by the mods for doing so

i have picked up some good tips, thanks man!

You are well rid of her!

You don't say?, and there I was still under the impression that most Americans think Irony is a small country in Africa.

ph34r.gif

I can't wait!

It's good to know that the advice on TV,saved at least one person.;)

+1 clap2.gif

+2

Much better to vent in private than in public. Over the years I have seen more than a few folks who complain quite a bit, almost to the point that you'd assume they'd be really angry individuals in other aspects of their life.... but they are actually the opposite, very mellow (okay, sometimes aided by antidepressants), and are the types that wai traffic police when they've been pulled over for the 3rd time in the same month for a 100 Baht 'tax.' Another was a serious Thaksin hater (usually describing anything to do with the man with cursing, even in front of children) who when he finally met the then PM, acted/kowtowed like he was a member of the Thai Rak Thai party.

:)

Edited by Heng

This:

Agreed.

Agreed

Missed point ,

9. Also if they don't understand you or not agree they still smile and say "Thing Thing" , "same Same" or "Lilly (really) i love it here.