URGENT: Bangkok Governor Orders Evacuation Of Residents Of 27 Communities

webfact

This might be a silly question, but I live on 36th floor. Should I be worried about my toilets?

Nah, but I'd be worried about subsidence, or getting jammed in the lift when the juice goes out and gensets get inundated. :whistling:

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not being flippant about this but it will be interesting to see how the insurance companies work this one out

as its a natural rain water flood held back by levies and protection then levies opened which makes it a man made flood and not an act of nature

Most insurance policies omit everything that any one can make a claim on and so this is an interesting situation

BTW I am housing and feeding a few Thais that have lost all

Most Thais do not have residential insurance. For those that do, flood is typically an excluded peril on a residential insurance policy. Some companies may offer an endorsement. but it is up to the consumer to ask for the coverage and to accept the additional premium. This is nothing new. The large commercial estates most likely do have flood insurance, and the reported claims to date are 100 billion baht according to the industry news sources. Many residential policies offer the option of sewer backup coverage, but again it has to be requested and an additional premium paid.

There is a big difference between sewer backup and flood. The damage occurring now is due to flooding and not sewer backup. Read the policy definition. I don't know why you make the statement "Most insurance policies omit everything that any one can make a claim",because that isn''t true. It is the responsibility of the consumer to read the available coverage options and the policy wordings. A broad perils policy is quite explicit as it provides coverage for "direct damage" subject to the policy named exclusions and limitations. Our commercial coverage is "all risks" with about 10 specific exclusions. We have the added endorsements for earth movement, typhoon and flood and we paid the additional premium. In respect to my personal belongings, I don't have flood coverage.

An insurance policy is a contract of risk transfer whereby the insured transfers the obligations to pay for damage to the third party insurer. The insurer decides how much of the risk it will accept and chages a premium to offset the risk transferred. No one forces the insured to buy insurance.If you feel that there is limited risk or that the cost of the transfer should be lower, than keep the risk. It is the insured that is seeking to offload its risk. If there wasn't a risk and there were no claims events, there would be no need for insurance.

URGENT:

Residents near Klongtan, Phra Kanong, Pattanakarn & Bangkapi should move belongings to at least 1 m high

Any further information on this? Where is the flood going to come from, Klong Dan? When is it expected? Is 1m the predicted level for these areas or the absolute maximum? As a Phra Khanong resident, any info would be very welcome!!

Same here is there anywhere where we can check for updates on water in Pattanakarn?

They've also called my number 'Bang Kapi', I wouldn't put more emphasis on the warning other than they probably are getting a bit closer to open up a bit more on the gates in Minbury and lad Krabang as to move water through Saen Saep. Klong Phra Kanong, etc.. They made the same warnings two days before flooding the mentioned areas - so expect some water to come to your neighborhood today, tomorrow or next week

I am right in the middle of those areas too. I can't find any reference to this warning on Bkk Post, Nation or TAN. Klong Prakanong looked still well behaved this afternoon where it passes Onnut but I noticed a reference on TAN to water levels rising at Prakanong from this afternoon's high tide.

It would be nice to know who gave the warning and whether the basis for it was a planned draining of water down the canals, as you mention, or that they think the flow from Don Muang is going to come down through Lat Prao, which is not yet mentioned, to Ramkhamhaeng and beyond, or all of the above. I suppose it won't make much difference at the end of the day.

i will be reaching bkk tomorrow . . and staying at sukhumvit 7

is it safe or should i go to pattaya?

is transportation easily available?? and on.plz plz plz help . im worried

I am close by and so far so good. Going to Pattaya still possible as well. At least it was today. Tomorrow is another day!

I think the point was that if they can exclude it they will, and if they can hide/disguise that exclusion they will do all in their powers to do so. They offer policies to make money and exclude all they can and use as much jargon as possible to fool consumers. I bet I can guess what you do for a living.

I am not being flippant about this but it will be interesting to see how the insurance companies work this one out

as its a natural rain water flood held back by levies and protection then levies opened which makes it a man made flood and not an act of nature

Most insurance policies omit everything that any one can make a claim on and so this is an interesting situation

Most Thais do not have residential insurance. For those that do, flood is typically an excluded peril on a residential insurance policy. Some companies may offer an endorsement. but it is up to the consumer to ask for the coverage and to accept the additional premium. This is nothing new. The large commercial estates most likely do have flood insurance, and the reported claims to date are 100 billion baht according to the industry news sources. Many residential policies offer the option of sewer backup coverage, but again it has to be requested and an additional premium paid.

There is a big difference between sewer backup and flood. The damage occurring now is due to flooding and not sewer backup. Read the policy definition. I don't know why you make the statement "Most insurance policies omit everything that any one can make a claim",because that isn''t true. It is the responsibility of the consumer to read the available coverage options and the policy wordings. A broad perils policy is quite explicit as it provides coverage for "direct damage" subject to the policy named exclusions and limitations. Our commercial coverage is "all risks" with about 10 specific exclusions. We have the added endorsements for earth movement, typhoon and flood and we paid the additional premium. In respect to my personal belongings, I don't have flood coverage.

An insurance policy is a contract of risk transfer whereby the insured transfers the obligations to pay for damage to the third party insurer. The insurer decides how much of the risk it will accept and chages a premium to offset the risk transferred. No one forces the insured to buy insurance.If you feel that there is limited risk or that the cost of the transfer should be lower, than keep the risk. It is the insured that is seeking to offload its risk. If there wasn't a risk and there were no claims events, there would be no need for insurance.

To cover this point simply. The first photo was taken at 08:19 on the 14th.

post-68756-0-35813400-1319280033_thumb.j

This 2nd image was taken today at 17:03

post-68756-0-69891700-1319280060_thumb.j

er...not exactly 1m is it. Since I have taken that photo the water has continued to drop with the outgoing tide. I have sat at my desk with the view of the river for 4 years and I know the tides round here very well. The river IS very swollen, but it is not overflowing the wall. Right now it is 40cm below our flood wall. I am willing to accept that our flood wall might be higher, but 30cm higher?

How are those pics a reflection of the whole river? Do you think BKK is perfectly flat?

I am right in the middle of those areas too. I can't find any reference to this warning on Bkk Post, Nation or TAN. Klong Prakanong looked still well behaved this afternoon where it passes Onnut but I noticed a reference on TAN to water levels rising at Prakanong from this afternoon's high tide.

It would be nice to know who gave the warning and whether the basis for it was a planned draining of water down the canals, as you mention, or that they think the flow from Don Muang is going to come down through Lat Prao, which is not yet mentioned, to Ramkhamhaeng and beyond, or all of the above. I suppose it won't make much difference at the end of the day.

Source for this item: https://twitter.com/#!/search/Residents%20near%20Klongtan%2C%20Phra%20Kanong%2C%20Pattanakarn%20%26%20Bangkapi%20should%20move%20belongings%20to%20at%20least%201%20m%20high%20%20

Asean Newsroom is the MCOT/Nation Channel 99 on Truevisions.

The first time I complete agree with you

What do you refer to rogerdee me wonders?

Water, flooding - too obvious.

Aliens? Nah, already came, don't want to clean up this mess.

Only leaves on option as I see it left in this chess-match that is heading towards another deep throat moment at the watergate.

Well them draino snakes can snap down on you (or I should say ,, can snap up on you) if you don't stay alert ... when you sit down on the throne, keep your hands on your gonads brother.

:jap:

What do you refer to rogerdee me wonders?

Water, flooding - too obvious.

Aliens? Nah, already came, don't want to clean up this mess.

Only leaves on option as I see it left in this chess-match that is heading towards another deep throat moment at the watergate.

Well them draino snakes can snap down on you (or I should say ,, can snap up on you) if you don't stay alert ... when you sit down on the throne, keep your hands on your gonads brother.

:jap:

A pretty little coloured snake popped up the drain and into the bath (luckily no one was in it) when I lived in an apartment on the second floor in Nanglinchee when there was no flooding but construction of a new condo next door on previously waste land had obviously made a lot reptiles homeless. I don't what it was but one of the guards who came up and killed it with a broom handle said it was poisonous. A couple of days later the guards killed another homeless reptile in the car park - this time a large Siamese cobra.

Source for this item: https://twitter.com/#!/search/Residents%20near%20Klongtan%2C%20Phra%20Kanong%2C%20Pattanakarn%20%26%20Bangkapi%20should%20move%20belongings%20to%20at%20least%201%20m%20high%20%20

Asean Newsroom is the MCOT/Nation Channel 99 on Truevisions.

Thanks George. I notice from the link that ASEAN Newsroom is getting some stick on Twitter for passing on what they picked up on Suvarnabhumi TV without knowing the source or the basis for the rumour. It does sound if it could be based on a plan to drain more water through Klongs Saen Saep and Prakanong. If this is true, hopefully we will get more information soon. Better still, if it is not true.

Edited by Arkady

This whole flood thing can't be that big a deal. Just flipped through the tv channels - one station ch.11 - is broadcasting flood news. the rest: soaps, variety shows. Alfred E. Neuman comes to mind. "What me worry"?

Guess you were not here last year during the red shirts VS government crackdown. It was same thing back then.

Even if Bangkok was attacked by aliens from outer space, there would still be soaps on tv. laugh.gif

Soaps and floods: there's a drama in there somewhere.

Someone needs to check and make sure the water level is really rising to the dangerous levels that they are claiming or if Gilligan has simply just moved to lobster trap further out into the lagoon again !!!!blink.gif

lol......I remember that episode.....wow...that was a long time ago and I still remember that...sigh.

Edited by ES1

By what stretch of the imagination is this not a state of emergency - Thailand should be asking the rest of the world to help not pretending that it will all be alright!

I will never in a million years understand this "loss of face" thing - life is much more simple "if you are in trouble ask for help" and when you are not in trouble look for others that need help!

I really hope that something is done before any more people needlessly lose their lives - they could have evacuated areas days ago in an orderly fashion - now they are opening the way for panic. I dont think this government or PM are particularly responsible since it seems that no Thai public figures are ever prepared to admit there are problems they cant deal with!

You have never been to Thailand? Thailand should ask foreigners to help in Thailand?? Get real. The government will let people starve and die before that would happen.

Love repeating myself. Goes to show how little you understand about Thailand. The dumb farang is always right and why the Thais call it Thailand.

Definition = free of dumb stupid ignorant god fearing cultural void cheap charlie farangs. Yet to meet one foreigner that is not cultural inept. If you don't appreciate the country there are 63 million Thais willing to to see your potentially flabby backside wobbling through any departures lounge.

Do you realise that you just proved his statement to be absolutely correct? No, of course you don't. Saying anything further would be like trying to teach a pig to whistle.................

<Snip!>.... I'm coming to bangkok on the second and i will be staying near the Chao Phya river on the other side of the saphan taksin bridge even if i'm going to be on the 9th floor its going to put a dent in my holiday plans. any advice guys?

Go to Chiang Mai...no problems here.

As long s you don't wear a yellow shirt...................:D

By what stretch of the imagination is this not a state of emergency - Thailand should be asking the rest of the world to help not pretending that it will all be alright!

I will never in a million years understand this "loss of face" thing - life is much more simple "if you are in trouble ask for help" and when you are not in trouble look for others that need help!

I really hope that something is done before any more people needlessly lose their lives - they could have evacuated areas days ago in an orderly fashion - now they are opening the way for panic. I dont think this government or PM are particularly responsible since it seems that no Thai public figures are ever prepared to admit there are problems they cant deal with!

The thai goverment asked the World Bank and UN for help last week- a massive needs assessment is underway coordinated by the bank. UN will provide relief support.

Not surprising for the UN to be solicited for assistance, but the World Bank? Thailand has billions USD in their war chest, why not us their own funds before soliciting aid from the rest of the world? The sad part of any $$ aid sent to Thailand is that very little of it will be used to assist those in need as it will find it's way into the accounts of those in power. One only has to recall the tsunami in Phuket and the millions in aid that mysteriously went missing.

I suppose as usual the Thai Govt only wants cash donations ... no advice please and also probably no advisors wanted.

And if at all possible, no signed receipts.

What I want to know is how in the heck they can keep the MRT from getting flooded? Seems a no brainer that underground tunnels all over the place are gonna have problems no? Unless it's designed for this possibility somehow.

But it wont affect tourism!blink.gif

Dropping friends off at the airport 3 hours ago, the car park was full, as were all the roads leading in and out of the terminal and car park (used as parking lots). After a senior security officer allowed one of his mates into the car park he told me the car park was full and to go to the long term park and catch a bus back.

Quite a round trip. Of course when I arrived at the long term car park, I was told it was full.

The cronies of the AOT get to park above water level, while customers get turned away.

I understand that these are troubling times, and there is great hardship, but this situation is quite ridiculous.

The haves and the have nots, an interesting contrast.

annoyed.gif

Does anybody actually know when Bangkok is going to be inundated. First it was 18th. Then it was today now am

told in 5 days. I was planning to go to Disney Land but think will stay here and save money because Mickey Mouse is alive and here in Bangkok. Believe he made a guest appearance at the Yanni concert earlier.

Why leave? All the Disney characters are here working in the Government !

What if YS pulls it off? What if, after all the assumptions that Bangkok will be chest high in water and crocodiles, somehow, magically her little diversion plan works? Does she look like God Almighty, then? Does this consolidate family power for decades to come? What if they purposely made it look worse than it was in order to look like saviors? I have been thinking they we're pretending to be able to save Bangkok, knowing they couldn't for weeks and weeks now. But what if it is the other way around? The family will be in power forever.

Edited by zydeco

What I want to know is how in the heck they can keep the MRT from getting flooded? Seems a no brainer that underground tunnels all over the place are gonna have problems no? Unless it's designed for this possibility somehow.

The tunnels are underground yes, but the walls of those tunnels are solid, if water starts flowing down the entrance to a station platform from ground level it will flood, if it doesn't, no it won't.

They have planned to reverse all the exhaust vents to blow instead of suck. This flow of air out of the MRT entrances will keep the flood water from flowing in.

But ... unfortunately that won't stop the draino monster :huh:

What if YS pulls it off? What if, after all the assumptions that Bangkok will be chest high in water and crocodiles, somehow, magically her little diversion plan works? Does she look like God Almighty, then? Does this consolidate family power for decades to come? What if they purposely made it look worse than it was in order to look like saviors? I have been thinking they we're pretending to be able to save Bangkok, knowing they couldn't for weeks and weeks now. But what if it is the other way around? The family will be in power forever.

Everything has to be political doesn't it! Surely there are better things to worrie about!!

Edited by metisdead
Repaired quote tag.

Does anybody actually know when Bangkok is going to be inundated. First it was 18th. Then it was today now am

told in 5 days. I was planning to go to Disney Land but think will stay here and save money because Mickey Mouse is alive and here in Bangkok. Believe he made a guest appearance at the Yanni concert earlier.

Why leave? All the Disney characters are here working in the Government !

_Honestly? I don't give a flying F! I wish this will be over- the sooner the better! I will be happy and reliefed and I hope that someone is going to work AFTER this, to NEVER let it happen again! And if that is Yingluck or Elvis or the Flying Spaghetti Monster: I DON'T CARE!

Bkk Gov Orders 27 Riverside Communities to Evacuate

The Bangkok governor has ordered the evacuations of 27 riverside communities outside the flood barriers of the Chrao Phraya River has the water level increases considerably.

The Chrao Phraya River water level was reported this afternoon at 2.4 meters, 10 centimeters below the barrier level.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-22

footer_n.gif

This is IRRESPONSIBLE journalism. Without reporting the complete details such as the exact communities, time of anticipated flooding, etc., this type of reporting only serves to incite panic (not to mention a slew of negative comments toward the government officials, whether warranted or not), both of which is counter-productive and creates more damage than benefit.

Maybe it will indeed happen, as you suggest, but, if so, it will probably be by chance. I don't think that Yingluck or the people advising her really know what is going on or what is likely to happen as a result of their decisions or lack of them. For the record I doubt that Abhisit would have done much better in terms of the flood management and outcome, except that he might have managed the communication with the public better due to his greater experience and should have been able to coordinate with the Democrat BMA better, even though he and Sukhumbhand don't get on very well.

Edited by Arkady

What a CROCK OF ****! We live on the Chao Praya at Charan Sanit Wong Soi 70/2 (Bangplad). I have been monitoring the water levels closely as we live RIGHT NEXT TO THE WATER. At 15:48 (high tide) the water was about 2" higher than yesterday's tide @ 16:48 (when the evac order was given) the water level had dropped by 2". I know this because I am using static points on the neighbouring building to monitor it. Simple technique, I know, but effective.

Will post more if it changes.

I also live in this area, But the level can be different in different points because there are many canals where some of the water flows, so the situation is worse in certain areas.

Here around Banglad-Pinklao-Banglamphoo looks not as bad as in other Bangkok's "kets"