URGENT: Bangkok Governor Orders Evacuation Of Residents Of 27 Communities

webfact

<Snip!>.... I'm coming to bangkok on the second and i will be staying near the Chao Phya river on the other side of the saphan taksin bridge even if i'm going to be on the 9th floor its going to put a dent in my holiday plans. any advice guys?

Go to Chiang Mai

Don't him THAT! The way I figure, we have enough of those nasty farang here now. We don't need any more to spoil it for the rest of us.

hahah

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a CROCK OF ****! We live on the Chao Praya at Charan Sanit Wong Soi 70/2 (Bangplad). I have been monitoring the water levels closely as we live RIGHT NEXT TO THE WATER. At 15:48 (high tide) the water was about 2" higher than yesterday's tide @ 16:48 (when the evac order was given) the water level had dropped by 2". I know this because I am using static points on the neighbouring building to monitor it. Simple technique, I know, but effective.

Will post more if it changes.

I've been watching the water level on the Saphan Phut webcam for the last week. While it varies with the tide, today was the highest it's been, it's still slopping over onto the footpath at the moment. There was also water starting to come out the drains in some parts of Sukhumvit about lunchtime.

Ditto re K. Rangsit: It rose at K.4 an average rate of 1-1.5" per day for the last 7-10 days (not allowing for tides) until 12-36 hours ago when it rose 6''.

How do I know this? I ride my bicycle down there every morning to see for myself.post-133770-0-40792300-1319291324_thumb.

Edited by GazR

A post listing the 27 communities ordered to evacuate in Thai script has been deleted as the listing has already been posted in English:

List of 27 Riverside Communities Ordered to Evacuate

UPDATE : 22 October 2011

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is evacuating 27 riverside communities in 13 districts as follows:

1. Khlong Bang Khen Mai, 16 households

2. Rama 6 (near river), 25 households

3. Keaw Kai Ka, 20 households

4. Soi Si Kam (the end of Sam Saen Soi 19), 11 households

5. Ratchapa Thuptim Ruamjai (foot of Krungthon Bridge), 40 households

6. End of Soi Mitrkam (Sam Sean Soi 13), 140 households,

7. Tawaratch Khunchorn, 40 households

8. Tah Wang (Pier), 16 households

9. Tah Chang (Pier) , 25 households

10. Tah Tien (Pier), 120 households

11. Pathum Kongka Temple, 12 households

12. Talad Noi, 10 households

13. Behind Chareonkrung Pracharak Hospital, 14 households

14. Rear of Soi Mathanusorn, 31 households

15. Bangklo Nok Temple, 36 households

16. In front of Inbanchong Temple, 13 households

17. Rhong Si, Rama 3 Rd, 60 households

18. Suansai (on the banks of Prakanong Canal), 9 households

19. Chatkaew Templed, 8 households

20. Dusit Nimitmai, 23 households

21. Santichonsongkror, 153 households

22. Opening of Namtal Canal, Pinpat Canal, 103 households

23. Trok Wang Lung, 66 households

24. Opening of Bangkok Yai Canal, 12 households

25. Chareonnakorn Soi 29/2, 11 households

26. Dao Kanong, 157 households

27. Bhuranawas Temple, 38 households

So this is so far a very low level evacuation of communities that are right on the river. If it comes to the need of a mass evacuation across the city I don't think we will hear anything because it probably can't be done.

I went along the small klong that runs just to the South of Pattanakarn Road this afternoon and it was about 60 cm from the top. Some of the houses along the klong are actually built well below the level of the concrete bank and will fill up with a metre of water within a few minutes, if it bursts its banks. Klong Prakanong was still about 80 cm from the top at Onnut Soi 17 this afternoon and was flowing faster than usual.

Edited by Arkady

By what stretch of the imagination is this not a state of emergency - Thailand should be asking the rest of the world to help not pretending that it will all be alright!

I will never in a million years understand this "loss of face" thing - life is much more simple "if you are in trouble ask for help" and when you are not in trouble look for others that need help!

I really hope that something is done before any more people needlessly lose their lives - they could have evacuated areas days ago in an orderly fashion - now they are opening the way for panic. I dont think this government or PM are particularly responsible since it seems that no Thai public figures are ever prepared to admit there are problems they cant deal with!

The thai goverment asked the World Bank and UN for help last week- a massive needs assessment is underway coordinated by the bank. UN will provide relief support.

Not surprising for the UN to be solicited for assistance, but the World Bank? Thailand has billions USD in their war chest, why not us their own funds before soliciting aid from the rest of the world? The sad part of any $$$ aid sent to Thailand is that very little of it will be used to assist those in need as it will find it's way into the accounts of those in power. One only has to recall the tsunami in Phuket and the millions in aid that mysteriously went missing.

"The UN is not my father." (PM Thaksin)

"America: Useless friend. " (PM Thaksin)

"Thailand is now a develpoed counrty." (PM Thaksin)

So I ask you, does the latest flood news amount to a reality check or more gross hypocracy from the Sinatras?

You decide. (Rookies - take all the time you need.)

post-133770-0-93376800-1319291925_thumb.

Edited by GazR

Put sand bags in all of your lower level toilets ...OR...you will have snakes, rats, waterbugs and sewage enter as the waters back up underground.

I speak from 4 years of heavy flooding in BKK.

<Snip!>.... I'm coming to bangkok on the second and i will be staying near the Chao Phya river on the other side of the saphan taksin bridge even if i'm going to be on the 9th floor its going to put a dent in my holiday plans. any advice guys?

As I said before. Don't come.

Chiang Mai already survived the floods so it's fine up here. I just arrived back to Chiang Mai from BKK this afternoon. All the businesses along Sukhumvit and Silom had sandbags piled up and were adding more. I didn't stay around to see if they will be put to the test.

Edited by venturalaw

Put sand bags in all of your lower level toilets ...OR...you will have snakes, rats, waterbugs and sewage enter as the waters back up underground.

This might be a silly question, but I live on 36th floor. Should I be worried about my toilets?

Probably not, but I guess it does not hurt to ask.

This might be a silly question, but I live on 36th floor. Should I be worried about my toilets?

Only if the electricity goes off....

One thing to bear in mind: these 'communities' are what the farang call 'slums.' They all have names, and the ones named here are the ones expected to flood. Most of us will have them as neighbors, but either won't realize it or (if we do) won't know the community names, in any event. For example, my development abuts the Rong See Community on Rama III, but as the community is much more low-lying than our development, it will unfortunately flood well before the surrounding area. Many of these communities are also low-lying and flood every year, as they usually sit on undeveloped, unfilled, land.

The point is that this warning is all but useless to the rest of us. Come down to it, the info is useless to the communities, as well: they pretty well count on flooding every rainy season, as it is.

------------------------

Here is the list from Naew Nah.

I'll print it here first and translate in a bit:

สำหรับรายชื่อ 27 ชุมชน ใน 13 เขตดังกล่าว ได้แก่

1.ชุมชนปากคลองบางเขนใหม่ มี 16 ครัวเรือน

< ---snip--->

Bring a boat. If you don't need it by then on the 9th floor you can sell it for a very good mark up !

The Governor's statement on the 27 areas to be immediately evacuated is aimed at those tiny groups that live in front of the flood protection barrier, usually in houses on stilts, in mostly slum quarters. Note the tiny numbers of households involved.

I live in one of those 27 areas and it is bone dry.

Does anybody actually know when Bangkok is going to be inundated. First it was 18th. Then it was today now am

told in 5 days. I was planning to go to Disney Land but think will stay here and save money because Mickey Mouse is alive and here in Bangkok. Believe he made a guest appearance at the Yanni concert earlier.

Why leave? All the Disney characters are here working in the Government !

One thing to bear in mind: these 'communities' are what the farang call 'slums.' They all have names, and the ones named here are the ones expected to flood. Most of us will have them as neighbors, but either won't realize it or (if we do) won't know the community names, in any event. For example, my development abuts the Rong See Community on Rama III, but as the community is much more low-lying than our development, it will unfortunately flood well before the surrounding area. Many of these communities are also low-lying and flood every year, as they usually sit on undeveloped, unfilled, land.

The point is that this warning is all but useless to the rest of us. Come down to it, the info is useless to the communities, as well: they pretty well count on flooding every rainy season, as it is.

Yeah, I dont recognize a single one of those names.

It seems that none of the BTS or MRT-stations has been flooed yet. I know all the names of the stations.

Edited by ricku

URGENT:

Residents near Klongtan, Phra Kanong, Pattanakarn & Bangkapi should move belongings to at least 1 m high

Any further information on this? Where is the flood going to come from, Klong Dan? When is it expected? Is 1m the predicted level for these areas or the absolute maximum? As a Phra Khanong resident, any info would be very welcome!!

A final look at the river outside our apartment in Bangplad, Charan Sanit Wong Soi 70/2 and I can see that the water level is about 10cm lower than 19:00. Went for a walk to Lotus at 20:00 and noticed that the water was coming out of the entrance to Bangkok Marina due to them refusing to have a flood wall built as it would ruin their "Marina". They have 1 boat....

Talking to the government water worker pumping out our soi and he was furious about the lack of a flood wall next door. Didn't have the heart to tell him about the lack of boats.

Good night all, be safe and try to play nice...I'm sure we're all trying to help more than the politicians are. We're all Bangkokians together, stand strong, stand together, stand proud, we WILL survive this year!

If the water can't come up the effluent can't wash down...

We do not recommend emptying chamber pots from the window.

Not to mention your walk UP to home, will be momentous every time.

A final look at the river outside our apartment in Bangplad, Charan Sanit Wong Soi 70/2 and I can see that the water level is about 10cm lower than 19:00. Went for a walk to Lotus at 20:00 and noticed that the water was coming out of the entrance to Bangkok Marina due to them refusing to have a flood wall built as it would ruin their "Marina". They have 1 boat....

Talking to the government water worker pumping out our soi and he was furious about the lack of a flood wall next door. Didn't have the heart to tell him about the lack of boats.

Good night all, be safe and try to play nice...I'm sure we're all trying to help more than the politicians are. We're all Bangkokians together, stand strong, stand together, stand proud, we WILL survive this year!

Thanks for your info this evening.. Your point of view is unique and so important.

URGENT:

Residents near Klongtan, Phra Kanong, Pattanakarn & Bangkapi should move belongings to at least 1 m high

Any further information on this? Where is the flood going to come from, Klong Dan? When is it expected? Is 1m the predicted level for these areas or the absolute maximum? As a Phra Khanong resident, any info would be very welcome!!

Same here is there anywhere where we can check for updates on water in Pattanakarn?

URGENT:

Same here is there anywhere where we can check for updates on water in Pattanakarn?

This is the info we have for now.

Don't get me wrong, I wish NO bad luck on anyone, but I really hope that those of you who are so caviler and casual about this as you toss back a beer or two saying: "Nah, I'm fine", don't wake up in the morning and go "Oh, Crap! I should'da bought that dam_n boat after all!"

Have a nice evening all, and good luck to everyone who is, might be, could be, getting wet.

"Ladies & Gentlemen, Elvis has left Chiang Mai!"

This whole flood thing can't be that big a deal. Just flipped through the tv channels - one station ch.11 - is broadcasting flood news. the rest: soaps, variety shows. Alfred E. Neuman comes to mind. "What me worry"?

Guess you were not here last year during the red shirts VS government crackdown. It was same thing back then.

Even if Bangkok was attacked by aliens from outer space, there would still be soaps on tv. laugh.gif

URGENT:

They've also called my number 'Bang Kapi', I wouldn't put more emphasis on the warning other than they probably are getting a bit closer to open up a bit more on the gates in Minbury and lad Krabang as to move water through Saen Saep. Klong Phra Kanong, etc.. They made the same warnings two days before flooding the mentioned areas - so expect some water to come to your neighborhood today, tomorrow or next week

Edited by satiariyan

This whole flood thing can't be that big a deal. Just flipped through the tv channels - one station ch.11 - is broadcasting flood news. the rest: soaps, variety shows. Alfred E. Neuman comes to mind. "What me worry"?

Have patience my son. Another exciting adventure is just around the corner,

i will be reaching bkk tomorrow . . and staying at sukhumvit 7

is it safe or should i go to pattaya?

is transportation easily available?? and on.plz plz plz help . im worried

Don't come to Bangkok, if you don't have to. Most of us with homes here would rather be somewhere else. Transport is available at the moment but no one can say if that will continue to be the case. Elevated trains are expected to keep on running but roads can be flooded.

If the water can't come up the effluent can't wash down...

We do not recommend emptying chamber pots from the window.

Not to mention your walk UP to home, will be momentous every time.

I'm not so sure 36 floors is high enough. Some of them draino snakes have been found on the top floor toilets of Baiyoke tower. Once they start crawling out of the drains, it's like opening pandora's box.

What do you refer to rogerdee me wonders?

Water, flooding - too obvious.

Aliens? Nah, already came, don't want to clean up this mess.

Only leaves on option as I see it left in this chess-match that is heading towards another deep throat moment at the watergate.