URGENT: Bangkok Governor Orders Evacuation Of Residents Of 27 Communities

webfact

The point about better coordination with the Democrat BMA seems plausible but I think we saw during the last election how much more responsive and effective the PTP PR machine was compared to the Dems. It was the scale of the disaster, the level of panic and the urgent need for information that prompted announcements from various administration bigwigs that apparently contradicted each other at times and suggested a lack of co-ordination and free flow of information between agencies.

I think it is indicative of the general standard of intra-party communications within Thai politics that this turned out to be a series of fairly unhelpful pronouncements from the PTP.

" how much more responsive and effective the PTP PR machine was"

Yes, but it lacked a quality known as veracity - honesty if you prefer. I particularly liked the "No More Floods" poster, a party line they were still trying to sell, at least in BKK, up till a few days ago.

Of course you particularly liked it. It was deliberately taken out of context to make them look stupid, which is a favorite tactic of government haters.

Let me explain. You are at a disadvantage here because you obviously can't read Thai. If you could, you would have noticed that under the big words 'No More Flooding' (the bit taken out of context), there were slightly smaller - but still perceptible to people without 20/20 vision - the words 'Build Flood Defenses Nationwide'.

So it was a campaign promise to improve flood mitigation facilities, not a promise that there would never be any flooding whilst they were in office. I'm not saying it was any more or less attainable than some of their other promises, but as an example of what you are saying it just doesn't fit so you're either twisting it deliberately to perpetuate your animosity for the government, or you need to check your sources before parroting the gossip of fellow government haters on this forum.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, I am one of the stupid farang, who just works here, but this massive accumulation of signs 10. เขตธนบุรี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนปากคลองบางกอกใหญ่ means "(Thonburi)" ???

I would be SO happy, if would get some relaible....ok, no wait...ANY information in english!

"เขตธนบุรี" the red words written here read out as " Khet Thonburi", yes. To be translated as "area" / "district" But the rest of the letters - not sure about it, sorry.

Sorry, I am one of the stupid farang, who just works here, but this massive accumulation of signs 10. เขตธนบุรี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนปากคลองบางกอกใหญ่ means "(Thonburi)" ???

I would be SO happy, if would get some relaible....ok, no wait...ANY information in english!

"เขตธนบุรี" the red words written here read out as " Khet Thonburi", yes. To be translated as "area" / "district" But the rest of the letters - not sure about it, sorry.

My Thai isn't that good, but I think that it says "Thonburi, in particular the communities along the Klong Bangkok Yai"

Yes, but it lacked a quality known as veracity - honesty if you prefer. I particularly liked the "No More Floods" poster, a party line they were still trying to sell, at least in BKK, up till a few days ago.

from pantip.com there's a number of poignant photos from the public on the floods, including one with the PTP campaign poster:

23.jpg

Edited by Buchholz

Thanks for trying anyways.

a) they have the translation on here by now.

B) It's good to know, that even stupid farangs get some help on here! wink.gif

Cheers

Does anybody actually know when Bangkok is going to be inundated. First it was 18th. Then it was today now am

told in 5 days. I was planning to go to Disney Land but think will stay here and save money because Mickey Mouse is alive and here in Bangkok. Believe he made a guest appearance at the Yanni concert earlier.

This country is going through hell and misery and you are worried about missing MICKY MOUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM Yingluck should order all Jet Ski Mafia to Bangkok to help with evacuation.

It is a perfect vessel for swift water rescue.

Much better in an urban environment than U S helicoptors.

In fact her older brorher hates America because George Bush didnt help him during the coup.

The Shinawatra cousins who operate the Jet Skis probably would rarher screw falang than assist fellow Thais.

Panic, panic, panic! The flood is upon us, Bangkok will be safe, Bangkok is in grave danger, only certain areas will be affected, everybody has to brace and be on alert, nobody is going to be harmed, the end is near.... it's been going on like this for a good week or so. Meanwhile, my own (low-lying) area is bone dry. The sun came out for the first time in a long while, and it's been a pleasant, balmy day so far. I am all for 'better to be safe than sorry', but conflicting reports have only poured oil on the panic fire that seems to have engulfed many people. I am getting a little upset (not much) when I see the shelves in my neighbourhood convenience store collecting dust, because they've been emptied of instant noodles, sugar (very important to stock up on enough sugar during a flood crisis!!!) and even toilet paper by the 'lemmings'. If there is as of yet no water lapping against your front gate, chances are there won't be. By the way: I am going to prepare a pork roast this evening, complete with all the trimmings. Unlike other people, I always have enough food at home to last me for at least one week if not longer, flooding or not. It's called 'housekeeping' as opposed to 'living by the day'. I feel sorry for the countless people who really have to suffer because their places are 2 or more feet underwater. They deserve our sympathy and help. As for me, I am enjoying a lovely sunset and let's be frank: If my area hasn't been inundated by now, it's not going to happen, that much is certain. If you are in the same position as I am, my advice is: Calm down, don't listen to your panicking wife, open a bottle of beer and enjoy your Saturday evening. 'Nuff said.

I'm assuming you're the typical expat who lives on the frozen overpriced crap sold at Villa/Tops/Foodland et al and wouldn't be seen dead at a local market, where the Thais shop and prepare their FRESH food to eat? I buy and prepare the local produce every day. Even kept in a refrigerator everything starts to wilt/go off after a day or two. So enough with the sarcastic/smug 'It's called housekeeping' and watch you don't choke on your frozen peas.

Edited by evanson

Does anybody actually know when Bangkok is going to be inundated. First it was 18th. Then it was today now am

told in 5 days. I was planning to go to Disney Land but think will stay here and save money because Mickey Mouse is alive and here in Bangkok. Believe he made a guest appearance at the Yanni concert earlier.

This country is going through hell and misery and you are worried about missing MICKY MOUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another prime example of sarchasm.

The point about better coordination with the Democrat BMA seems plausible but I think we saw during the last election how much more responsive and effective the PTP PR machine was compared to the Dems. It was the scale of the disaster, the level of panic and the urgent need for information that prompted announcements from various administration bigwigs that apparently contradicted each other at times and suggested a lack of co-ordination and free flow of information between agencies.

I think it is indicative of the general standard of intra-party communications within Thai politics that this turned out to be a series of fairly unhelpful pronouncements from the PTP.

Of course you particularly liked it. It was deliberately taken out of context to make them look stupid, which is a favorite tactic of government haters.

Let me explain. You are at a disadvantage here because you obviously can't read Thai. If you could, you would have noticed that under the big words 'No More Flooding' (the bit taken out of context), there were slightly smaller - but still perceptible to people without 20/20 vision - the words 'Build Flood Defenses Nationwide'.

So it was a campaign promise to improve flood mitigation facilities, not a promise that there would never be any flooding whilst they were in office. I'm not saying it was any more or less attainable than some of their other promises, but as an example of what you are saying it just doesn't fit so you're either twisting it deliberately to perpetuate your animosity for the government, or you need to check your sources before parroting the gossip of fellow government haters on this forum.

I don't have to able to read Thai as I have hired someone who can. As we headed to Isaan, I saw hundreds of red posters which were translated as "No More Floods" and B300/d for Every Worker (more or less), as well as lots of other <deleted>; perhaps we should have stopped and read the fine print on each one. Did the B300/d have "one day in a province far, far away?

My clumsy point was that the PTP PR machine was a lie generator, still is today, and until a few days ago the PM was promising no flooding in BKK. If that upsets your sensibilities, it is a crying shame.

If there is as of yet no water lapping against your front gate, chances are there won't be. .. and let's be frank: If my area hasn't been inundated by now, it's not going to happen, that much is certain. If you are in the same position as I am, my advice is: Calm down, don't listen to your panicking wife, open a bottle of beer and enjoy your Saturday evening. 'Nuff said.

Not very good advice IMO but good luck.

I'll 2nd that....all the water that is only just now reaching bangkok has travelled from the top of Thailand a distance of roughly 400 miles...that is some distance and some water....our local town Phayuha Khiri has been underwater for over 4 weeks now and is only just starting to recede very slowly....the next big town Nakhon Sawan is also still underwater and has been for the past 10 - 12 days.

The water is not stopping on it's route to the sea...it seems to go through or round any obsticles in it's way and is leaving behind 1 m + high rivers where roads used to be and lakes where fields used to be. You may not have water yet but trust me it's coming.

As mentioned the water is just starting to reach Bangkok...theres another 400 miles of it to come. Bangkok in IMHO could well become the same as Ayutthaya over the next few days...good luck to everyone in Bangers

If you are in the same position as I am, my advice is: Calm down, don't listen to your panicking wife, open a bottle of beer and enjoy your Saturday evening. 'Nuff said.

I buy and prepare the local produce every day. Even kept in a refrigerator everything starts to wilt/go off after a day or two. So enough with the sarcastic/smug 'It's called housekeeping' and watch you don't choke on your frozen peas.

Suggest plugging fridge in if stuff is going off that fast. :unsure: Veggies remain crisp & fresh for a long time in ours, though might have something to do with the LEDs. Also recommend smothering your market-bought veggies with hydrogen peroxide.

If you are in the same position as I am, my advice is: Calm down, don't listen to your panicking wife, open a bottle of beer and enjoy your Saturday evening. 'Nuff said.

I buy and prepare the local produce every day. Even kept in a refrigerator everything starts to wilt/go off after a day or two. So enough with the sarcastic/smug 'It's called housekeeping' and watch you don't choke on your frozen peas.

Suggest plugging fridge in if stuff is going off that fast. :unsure: Veggies remain crisp & fresh for a long time in ours, though might have something to do with the LEDs. Also recommend smothering your market-bought veggies with hydrogen peroxide.

hydrogen peroxide? or iodine ? or either?

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4785984

I think the rest of it "ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนปากคลองบางกอกใหญ่" relates to a community located at the mouth of klong bangkok yai.

Hope it helps.

What a CROCK OF ****! We live on the Chao Praya at Charan Sanit Wong Soi 70/2 (Bangplad). I have been monitoring the water levels closely as we live RIGHT NEXT TO THE WATER. At 15:48 (high tide) the water was about 2" higher than yesterday's tide @ 16:48 (when the evac order was given) the water level had dropped by 2". I know this because I am using static points on the neighbouring building to monitor it. Simple technique, I know, but effective.

Will post more if it changes.

I dont know what you are trying to say. The water through BKK is increasing. High Tide Equinox is imminent. an inch or two here or there is hardly indicative of the forthcoming problems ....

oh, I get it!!! yes, you work for the department of disinformation ( government)

To cover this point simply. The first photo was taken at 08:19 on the 14th.

post-68756-0-35813400-1319280033_thumb.j

This 2nd image was taken today at 17:03

post-68756-0-69891700-1319280060_thumb.j

er...not exactly 1m is it. Since I have taken that photo the water has continued to drop with the outgoing tide. I have sat at my desk with the view of the river for 4 years and I know the tides round here very well. The river IS very swollen, but it is not overflowing the wall. Right now it is 40cm below our flood wall. I am willing to accept that our flood wall might be higher, but 30cm higher?

How are those pics a reflection of the whole river? Do you think BKK is perfectly flat?

er...are you suggesting our river has hills?

Academic points.What does it matter how high your river retaining wall is. If you turn around you will see the 17 billion tons of water isnt actually keeping to the river course. yes its true it jumped out and is running loose in the streets and fields. and five metres is quoted. In Singburi ( my town ) as elsewhere, the river is 30 cms below the wall. The problem is it is 30 cms below the wall on both sides and both banks; and I guess you can go from Bangkok to Singburi by boat without using the rivers. ( 150 kilometres).

27 communities

Would this include Ratchada? I need to know please thanks.

If the governor says 27 communities you can guarantee its a figure out of thin air and on the optimistic side. .. coincidence 3 times 3 times 3.try adding another times 3.

The only person who has made any sense is Ajarn Sasin. He knows what he is talking about and yet has no real position in the Thai government. He's been making accurate predictions all week. His prediction that 'if' the water got past Don Muang, then it would have a free ride into the centre of Bangkok, having looked at all the maps involved, looks spot on. Central Bangkok will flood for sure now. Maybe only 50cm, but enough to make the next few weeks a pain for everyone due to everything grinding to a halt for even a day or two.

Jatujak and Bang Seu will probably see some water by tomorrow night - watch the drains as much as what is coming out the canals.

Din Daeng and the area around Victory Monument within another 24 hours.

Sukhumwit and Silom probably 3 days from today if not before.

What a CROCK OF ****! We live on the Chao Praya at Charan Sanit Wong Soi 70/2 (Bangplad). I have been monitoring the water levels closely as we live RIGHT NEXT TO THE WATER. At 15:48 (high tide) the water was about 2" higher than yesterday's tide @ 16:48 (when the evac order was given) the water level had dropped by 2". I know this because I am using static points on the neighbouring building to monitor it. Simple technique, I know, but effective.

Will post more if it changes.

If the level is going down, it must have been the 1,000 boats. :whistling:

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4785984

I think the rest of it "ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนปากคลองบางกอกใหญ่" relates to a community located at the mouth of klong bangkok yai.

Hope it helps.

The text is fully translated in the link above.

... my summary of the events to date ... so hard not to be cynical:

1. Thai ability to cope with their hapless lives ... A+

2. Thai ability to influence their destinies ... freakishly incompetent.

... after a decade+ here, I really reach for adequate adjectives ... (still, I fall short).