Foreigner Speaks - Nothing Is Heard

thequietman

Am I alone. I speak with ideas and thoughts about which I know. Nobody hears me.

A Thai man speaks with the same ideas - and hearing is restored ?

after 10 years of taking care of this family and my opinion means nothing. The thai pu-yai suggests the same idea and hearing is restored. Its a miracle.

I try the mai pen rai but this is clearly ignoring me. Your thoughts please.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's normal.

I can give advice about certain matters and no one listens. A few days later a Thai will give the same advice and they all think he is great.

Incidentally, I get a lot of updates about the floods here on TV and no one believes me until much later when they hear from a Thai.

Just had the same thing about protecting the house from the floods.

Oh, I am in "central" Bangkok.

It's normal.

I can give advice about certain matters and no one listens. A few days later a Thai will give the same advice and they all think he is great.

Incidentally, I get a lot of updates about the floods here on TV and no one believes me until much later when they hear from a Thai.

I agree with this post 100%

If, however the poster is not English, could one of you tell him I agree with him 100%?

It's normal.

If, however, the poster is not English, could one of you please tell him I agree with him 100%?

Haha I am English.

Just had a typical case where I read here on TV that Klongtan, Phrakanong and Pattanakarn residents should move their belongings over 1 meter. She commented that I was panicking and that TV was rubbish. Five minutes later she received an SMS from a Thai friend with the same message. NOW she believes me.

It's normal.

If, however, the poster is not English, could one of you please tell him I agree with him 100%?

Haha I am English.

Just had a typical case where I read here on TV that Klongtan, Phrakanong and Pattanakarn residents should move their belongings over 1 meter. She commented that I was panicking and that TV was rubbish. Five minutes later she received an SMS from a Thai friend with the same message. NOW she believes me.

O.K, he says he is English, but in case he doesn`t understand what I am writing, can someone let him know I hope he remains safe from the flooding?

Best of luck, mate. Seriously.

This:

1. You're a sucker for punishment.

2. It's not going to change.

3. If you don't like it; leave.

4. If don't want to leave; stop making suggestions or giving your opinions - your opinions and suggestions don't matter, or count, because everyone in the villages knows that they are smarter than the farang. The farang is only there to provide money. Don't waste your time discussing with them what you are going to do; just do it. And when they ask you why you didn't discuss something with them, just say there's no point because they know everything already lol.

This:

1. You're a sucker for punishment.

2. It's not going to change.

3. If you don't like it; leave.

4. If don't want to leave; stop making suggestions or giving your opinions - your opinions and suggestions don't matter, or count, because everyone in the villages knows that they are smarter than the farang. The farang is only there to provide money. Don't waste your time discussing with them what you are going to do; just do it. And when they ask you why you didn't discuss something with them, just say there's no point because they know everything already lol.

5. rather than trying to get them to see the sense in your opinions and ways, adopt some of their ways. try this one first "sorry, i haven't got any money."

This is a phenomenon not exclusive to Thai / Farang relationships. Seen it happen many times and it became a running joke with a group of friends who were all married to women from other cultures. You could tell them something, offer proof, verified by others and they won't believe you until it is verified by a fellow countryman. To me, this demonstrates a fundamental lack of trust in the one person you should trust implicitly. This behavior is part of the reason that my ex-wife and I are no longer together. She demonstrated that she did not trust me and I lost respect for her. Game over.

I saw the reverse, an English friend decided to build a small brick shed "english style" ie walls first then roof as he knew better and the Thais didn't know what they were doing. After the third day sweating in the boiling sun he acknowledged that perhaps local knowledge wasn't so wrong after all and that putting the roof up first was a better idea. I have found that when I treat others opinions with respect I tend to get the same in return.

Include more ghosts in your suggestions and they might listen more.

Good one rakers. Start every sentence with " Granny Lek came to me in a dream and said...." It'll work wonders I reckon.

"Granny Lek came to me in a dream and said that the correct tyre pressures on an unladen D-Max are about 30 psi and not 60 as your brother seems to insist"

or

"Granny Lek came to me in a dream and said not to celebrate a 1000 baht win on the lottery seeing as you spend 5000 baht a month on tickets. You haven't "won" 1000 baht. You've only lost 4000."

or

"Granny Lek came to me in a dream and doesn't think it's a good idea to let our 12 year old son to take the motorcycle to school with his 7 year old sister on the back"