Have You Noticed The Supermarket Shelves?

khaan

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find interesting is that Rimping Markets manage to keep their shelves stocked with everything. They are getting their goods from the same suppliers as other markets. What is their secret?

They don't sell the same amount due to higher prices ?

What I find interesting is that Rimping Markets manage to keep their shelves stocked with everything. They are getting their goods from the same suppliers as other markets. What is their secret?

I've been shopping at Rimping and they don't seem to have a supply problem. Actually if you compare a lot of the prices there, they are cheaper.

Kasem store also still has things as per usual.

Prices are higher for unusual, quality stuff there, but normal items are normally priced, or often even less than the cattle markets - BigC et al. Could be something in the volume being shifted, or that the masses are scared to shop there due to the 'higher prices'. Suits me. ;)

Sent to me by a CM Old Hand.

VILLA MARKET, BANGKOK – A late attempt at panic-buying forced central Bangkok resident Henry Porter, an American expat, to stock up on several months’ supply of exotic and expensive imported foods yesterday.With panic buying having already taken place among most of the city’s 12 million population, Porter’s decision to wait until the last minute forced him to confront empty shelves bereft of basic supplies like drinking water, pasta and basic canned goods.

“I was hoping to get some reasonably cheap stuff, like maybe tuna fish or peanut butter,” the 44-year-old HSBC executive said. “But by the time I got to Villa, pretty much everything was gone – except, well, this stuff,” he said, indicating his shopping cart which contained 12 frozen French goose livers, a half kilogram of Camembert cheese, a jar of Claussen pickles, 11 pints of Haagen Dazs ice cream, 800 grams of Milano salami, three jars of sun-dried tomatoes, 30 bags of Kettle chips and various fresh produce from abroad, including hydroponic Dutch vine-grown tomatoes and 10 packs of fresh rocket.

“I guess I’m going to eat real well if I get stuck here,” he said. “At least until the power goes off,” he added, indicating the cheese and frozen goose livers.

Porter’s search for drinking water also led him down an embarrassing path of overpriced, second-choice items.

“They were totally out of water, even Evian, so I had to get 30 liters of San Pelligrino sparkling,” he said. “I mean I like Pelligrino, but this will be a real test.”

After searching in vain for water substitutes, including ice and fruit juice, Porter reluctantly added 24 cans of imported American Budweiser beer to his cart.

“It’s pretty expensive,” he admitted, referring to the price of Bt110 per can. “But Budweiser is about as close as beer gets to being plain water, so I think this will keep me hydrated in an emergency.”

Even basic supplies like cooking oil and butane were in short supply, forcing Porter to buy extra virgin olive oil and Kingston charcoals instead.

“I have a grill on the balcony, so I can always cook there if my induction range loses power,” he said. “Good thing too, since I have all this Wagyu ribeye steak and Australian lamb.”

Upon reaching the checkout, Porter’s total grocery bill was Bt45,932. While it was far more than what he had intended to spend on his panic buy, Porter expressed overall satisfaction with his mission to prepare himself for flood.

“Even if the power goes out and I lose refrigeration, I can always marinate everything,” he said. “I’ve got nineteen bottles of 1998 Appellation Haute-Medoc here and I can’t possibly drink it all

Edited by jonwilly

VILLA MARKET, BANGKOK – A late attempt at panic-buying forced central Bangkok resident Henry Porter, an American expat, to stock up on several months’ supply of exotic and expensive imported foods yesterday.With panic buying having already taken place among most of the city’s 12 million population, Porter’s decision to wait until the last minute forced him to confront empty shelves bereft of basic supplies like drinking water, pasta and basic canned goods.

“I was hoping to get some reasonably cheap stuff, like maybe tuna fish or peanut butter,” the 44-year-old HSBC executive said. “But by the time I got to Villa, pretty much everything was gone – except, well, this stuff,” he said, indicating his shopping cart which contained 12 frozen French goose livers, a half kilogram of Camembert cheese, a jar of Claussen pickles, 11 pints of Haagen Dazs ice cream, 800 grams of Milano salami, three jars of sun-dried tomatoes, 30 bags of Kettle chips and various fresh produce from abroad, including hydroponic Dutch vine-grown tomatoes and 10 packs of fresh rocket.

“I guess I’m going to eat real well if I get stuck here,” he said. “At least until the power goes off,” he added, indicating the cheese and frozen goose livers.

Porter’s search for drinking water also led him down an embarrassing path of overpriced, second-choice items.

“They were totally out of water, even Evian, so I had to get 30 liters of San Pelligrino sparkling,” he said. “I mean I like Pelligrino, but this will be a real test.”

After searching in vain for water substitutes, including ice and fruit juice, Porter reluctantly added 24 cans of imported American Budweiser beer to his cart.

“It’s pretty expensive,” he admitted, referring to the price of Bt110 per can. “But Budweiser is about as close as beer gets to being plain water, so I think this will keep me hydrated in an emergency.”

Even basic supplies like cooking oil and butane were in short supply, forcing Porter to buy extra virgin olive oil and Kingston charcoals instead.

“I have a grill on the balcony, so I can always cook there if my induction range loses power,” he said. “Good thing too, since I have all this Wagyu ribeye steak and Australian lamb.”

Upon reaching the checkout, Porter’s total grocery bill was Bt45,932. While it was far more than what he had intended to spend on his panic buy, Porter expressed overall satisfaction with his mission to prepare himself for flood.

“Even if the power goes out and I lose refrigeration, I can always marinate everything,” he said. “I’ve got nineteen bottles of 1998 Appellation Haute-Medoc here and I can’t possibly drink it all

People can live without a great deal of this overpriced toot.

I hope that this is a Not The Nation parody. It certainly looks like one. :D

What a CROCK!

Seems a lot of people drink Supermarket bottled water. I guess you guys live in condo's etc where delivery trucks don't go. If the Supermarkets run out just hail a passing water truck or two and get some in.

Yeah I was wondering that. Why buy supermarket water when I can get 12 1 litre bottles for 30 Baht. Never mind the bid 20 litre containers.

Exactly. Family has used the larger containers for 15 Baht for 14 years. Never a problem. If you have the extra money to blow, I'm sure the Thai merchants will appreciate it.

Tops is owned by Central Pattana (CPN).

It is a Bangkok-based operation.

I noticed ages ago that much of the fresh produce like lettuce in their stores is trucked up from way down south; if not Bangkok, probably Central Plains area. Which is possibly where their main distribution center(s) are. And in this flood situation, they are probably giving preference to their Bangkok Metro customers.

Went today to Tops KSK. Not a scrap of tissue in the paper isle.

Mouthwash only no-name dodgy purple stuff that was green tea/vanilla flavored.

Had to fight a diminutive elderly Japanese lady for the last cans of tuna steak.

Bought some way overpriced English soup to console myself for a totally wasted shopping trip.

I think Tesco Lotus (big stores, not local mini Express) stores should have most of what was missing today at Tops.

I hope.:lol:

yeah i noticed that. all the local stores, mom and pop or tesco express, seem to have sold out of lav roll. may have to start using the nation and bangkok post at some point.

There wasn't toilet paper at several superstores yesterday, including Hangdong Big C, unless they got some in since then. Yesterday the parking lots were full with people snatching up multiples of everything.

yeah i noticed that. all the local stores, mom and pop or tesco express, seem to have sold out of lav roll. may have to start using the nation and bangkok post at some point.

Ah well, there's always the bum squirter as a last resort.

For a country that practically invented the "bum gun", it makes you wonder where all the toilet paper and tissue is going. Is there some strange government directive that says it can be used to quickly absorb the floods! In which case they should probably be looking for the Andrex double thickness or whatever it is!

This is an interesting result of the flood I wasn't expecting....

While going to the moobahn where I am buying a house, my wife and I were talking to the sales girl who said this weekend she sold 20 houses to people from Bangkok at prices ranging from 2 to 5 million baht.

For a country that practically invented the "bum gun", it makes you wonder where all the toilet paper and tissue is going.

It used to be on the table of many cheap Thai restaurants instead of napkins when I first came here. I'm not sure if that is common any more.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Drinking and cooking Water from the Local Home Delivery Merchants in One Liter and Bigger Hard Plastic Bottles is Locally produced. Best to keep stock of these.

Bum Squirters are great for the No Tissue Issue, but if no water pressure, will need tissue or some water to help cleanse those delicate areas.

Even in worse case scinereo's, there will be local fruits, vegetables, and local ranch products.

Not ideal, but survivable.

Edited by KimoMax

There wasn't toilet paper at several superstores yesterday, including Hangdong Big C, unless they got some in since then. Yesterday the parking lots were full with people snatching up multiples of everything.

Ah well, there's always the bum squirter as a last resort.

We went to all the supermarkets yesterday in search of dunny roll and all were out. When we got Mackro we saw trolley after trolley comming out ladened with the stuff, my wife ran in and secured 1/2 dozen large bundles of the stuff until I got in with a trolley. I think we have enough to last 10 yrs now. Yes my wife is a panick buyer should see our spare room.

While going to the moobahn where I am buying a house, my wife and I were talking to the sales girl who said this weekend she sold 20 houses to people from Bangkok at prices ranging from 2 to 5 million baht.

Exactly what I was alluding to in a previous post about housing when all the supposed experts came out with all the reasons housing was cheap. Follow the trends to see whats happening. Now with the problems in Bangkok and other areas, the ones with the money will start buying up houses or property in the North because they think they are safer up here than Bangkok.

Supply and demand. You can't change the stripes on a zebra, or ostriches for that matter; although, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Exactly what I was alluding to in a previous post about housing when all the supposed experts came out with all the reasons housing was cheap. Follow the trends to see whats happening. Now with the problems in Bangkok and other areas, the ones with the money will start buying up houses or property in the North because they think they are safer up here than Bangkok.

Supply and demand. You can't change the stripes on a zebra, or ostriches for that matter; although, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I don't doubt Richard passed on what he was told accurately but I do doubt that the girl in one office on one Moobahn sold 20 houses 'this weekend', when this weekend was but a few hours old on the Saturday ! Sounds just a little bit of hyper sales chat to me....like 'buy now because Bangkokians will buy them all if you don't'. Bullshit.

Latest update. Been to Big C (ex Carrefour) on 108 this afternoon and everything well stocked including the beloved Toilet Rolls. Only thing that was a little thin on the shelves was boxes of Beer. However; a lot of loose bottles on shelves and in the fridge's. Water of many types and eggs were plentiful.

Edited by trainman34014

I don't doubt Richard passed on what he was told accurately but I do doubt that the girl in one office on one Moobahn sold 20 houses 'this weekend', when this weekend was but a few hours old on the Saturday ! Sounds just a little bit of hyper sales chat to me....like 'buy now because Bangkokians will buy them all if you don't'. Bullshit.

I agree, selling 20 houses in a weekend sounds like utter BS and of course Thai sales people always go OTT making it sound more ludicrous.

The people living in Bangkok, who have a spare 5 million to float around, live in Bangkok for a reason, mostly business. They don't just say "hey I'm buying a 5 million baht house in Chiang Mai this weekend.......hey I know, let's all go to this girl I know and we can all buy a house in Chiang Mai this weekend.......and think of how good that girl will feel selling 20 houses in a weekend for 100 million baht"...............Give me a break!

And you believe that!