Thai Govt Worried About Locals Destroying Flood Barriers

webfact

They would not have to worry so much about people destroying dykes and levees and what not if they declared a state of emergency.

The state of emergency is all ready upon them now all they have to do is recognize it declare it and act on it.

Not going to happen big brother dosen't want it.

This IS the crux of the matter - Thaksin losing all he has to gain through a (phantom imaginary coup) has instructed the red shirt MP's to resist the Democrats calls for a state of emergency.

Through not involving the army to maintain civilian unrest and stop things from getting out of hand he has exacerbated the problems. He is nothing but an "agent of despair" for the Thai people if the truth be known but will the people keep on listening to and blindly follow this "self claimed messiah's" every word, of course they will!!! Their blind faith in this corrupt individual beggars belief, and he will continue to hold Thailand back and create misery for the people whilst he remains involved in Thai politics and running the show for his own benefit!!!:unsure:.

Sad of course, but they only have themselves to blame and are suffering more than need be as a consequence of this foolish belief that he cares about them when he clearly doesn't!!

Another thing, does anyone think he cares about baby Yingluck who is experiencing her "personal hell"?? I for one don't, and cannot feel sorry for her as she was stupid to have listened to her brother by signing up to all of this - with his simple agenda of getting his passport back and smooth the way for his return to Thailand!!! It was doomed for the start - it is like putting someone into a grand prix car who hasn't learned to drive and expect them to compete. She hit the wall on the first corner after taking three other cars out in the process because nobody explained to her what the steering wheel was for!!!:jap:.

Fact: nobody has heard much of Tea S these last days... Would it be that the messiah has - for a change - no magic remedy to propose to "his" people?

I've heard that he has applied for a name change recently to try to help out the situation!!

It went something along the lines of............. "Khun King Canute" I think!!!!:jap:.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A State of Emergency would not have been required to stop people from destroying the wall.

A simple, police intervention would have done the trick to stop it.

Not having the SOE is no excuse.

One might rightly ask: where were the police when this was taking place?

They would not have to worry so much about people destroying dykes and levees and what not if they declared a state of emergency.

The state of emergency is all ready upon them now all they have to do is recognize it declare it and act on it.

Taking 500 Baht bribe money for destroying the dykes won't help. What else could the police do?

You really cant blame people.

There is no public plan in place & announcements from the govt have in the main been totally useless.

If no-one has any confidence that these dykes are going to do any good - why not break them down to solve local flooding?

Uncontrolled flooding could lead to the MRT completely flooding.

This "flood Bangkok" debate still goes on with the usual suspects and their ill informed ideas.

The fact is, no-one on here knows what the best course of action is, what the impact will be on various areas and when various areas in the North/Central Thailand would see water levels drop.

"flood Bangkok" is a bogeyman, it's someone to blame for your plight, it's divisive politics.

If the government put forward a cohesive plan to move the water to the sea and gave details of who would suffer and for how long as well as who would benefit - THEN you would have something to debate.

As it is, no-one here has really put any arguments forward in terms of how to get this water out to sea. To put together such a plan is way beyong the remit of the posters on here. It would take some very, very intelligent people. People with geographical knowledge and experience of water management.

So - what we are left with is "flood Bangkok to solve this issue" when no-one actually knows if it would solve the issue for them or not.

Personally, I have no opinion either way because I have no idea of the cost/benefits of doing this.

They fail to realize that without the provinces, without the food and work force that comes from those provinces, Bangkok could not survive. Bangkok is Bangkok, it is NOT Thailand.

Hypothetically, if the non-Bangkok population and infrastructure were eradicated, people from Bangkok could relocate and re-populate those areas and resume agricultural operations. Regarding the Bangkok jobs that were previously done by those who were from outside Bangkok, people in Bangkok could simply fill them.

What if, on the other hand, the population and infrastructure of Bangkok were eradicated? Could the non-Bangkok population rebuild the infrastructure and replace the skilled workforce currently in Bangkok?

Edited by hyperdimension

nobody has heard much of Tea S these last days... Would it be that the messiah has - for a change - no magic remedy to propose to "his" people?

Done.

Chiangrai Times Newspaper

Oct 11 2011

Thaksin Shinawatra Talks about Flood Management

As usual, Mr Thaksin was full of ideas, particularly on how to solve Thailand’s chronic water problems.

During the interview, he called for the government to invest in an integrated water management system to permanently solve inundation and drought problems.

Thaksin estimated such a system would cost up to 400 billion baht

Continues:

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/news/3053.html

This "flood Bangkok" debate still goes on with the usual suspects and their ill informed ideas.

The fact is, no-one on here knows what the best course of action is, what the impact will be on various areas and when various areas in the North/Central Thailand would see water levels drop.

"flood Bangkok" is a bogeyman, it's someone to blame for your plight, it's divisive politics.

If the government put forward a cohesive plan to move the water to the sea and gave details of who would suffer and for how long as well as who would benefit - THEN you would have something to debate.

As it is, no-one here has really put any arguments forward in terms of how to get this water out to sea. To put together such a plan is way beyong the remit of the posters on here. It would take some very, very intelligent people. People with geographical knowledge and experience of water management.

So - what we are left with is "flood Bangkok to solve this issue" when no-one actually knows if it would solve the issue for them or not.

Personally, I have no opinion either way because I have no idea of the cost/benefits of doing this.

I agree with you there, I dont want to flood BKK if it has no benefits at all.

But blocking up water and not giving it an viable alternative route is just as stupid. In the end something will breach.(by nature).

They should think of sacrificing parts of it for the greater good. But only after careful checking of elevation and exit route for water.

Just flooding a part of BKK and creating an other stagnant pool is not a good idea. But a stream that drains water would be a good idea. I admit i don't know if its possible but its something that has to be thought about.

Imagine a sloping area, if its not blocked water will flow down freely and at speed never getting high and moving quickly. Now if you block that slope water will rise on higher parts of the slope causing more trouble there. Also the water will take longer to find its path around the slope giving more trouble to parts higher up the sloping area.

So what i am saying is don't block the flow of water or when you do give it alternatives to move to. This way everyone will be rid of it faster and the water wont be as high in the effected area's. Of course sandbags will have to be placed around hospitals and other important buildings as long as you give the water an alternative place to go to.

I'd agree, and was thinking a large wedge shaped guiding barrier (with the pointed end facing against the incoming direction of the water) would allow the mass of water to flow faster down and around whatever the barrier is trying to protect, instead of a flat barrier that faces the mass of water.

Would a wedge-shaped barrier on the north end of Bangkok make sense?

Edited by hyperdimension

nobody has heard much of Tea S these last days... Would it be that the messiah has - for a change - no magic remedy to propose to "his" people?

Done.

Oct 11 2011

As usual, Mr Thaksin was full of ideas, particularly on how to solve Thailand's chronic water problems.

During the interview, he called for the government to invest in an integrated water management system to permanently solve inundation and drought problems.

Continues:

http://www.chiangrai.../news/3053.html

13-day-old news. Nothing new here.

This IS the crux of the matter - Thaksin losing all he has to gain through a (phantom imaginary coup) has instructed the red shirt MP's to resist the Democrats calls for a state of emergency.

Through not involving the army to maintain civilian unrest and stop things from getting out of hand he has exacerbated the problems. He is nothing but an "agent of despair" for the Thai people if the truth be known but will the people keep on listening to and blindly follow this "self claimed messiah's" every word, of course they will!!! Their blind faith in this corrupt individual beggars belief, and he will continue to hold Thailand back and create misery for the people whilst he remains involved in Thai politics and running the show for his own benefit!!!:unsure:.

Sad of course, but they only have themselves to blame and are suffering more than need be as a consequence of this foolish belief that he cares about them when he clearly doesn't!!

Another thing, does anyone think he cares about baby Yingluck who is experiencing her "personal hell"?? I for one don't, and cannot feel sorry for her as she was stupid to have listened to her brother by signing up to all of this - with his simple agenda of getting his passport back and smooth the way for his return to Thailand!!! It was doomed for the start - it is like putting someone into a grand prix car who hasn't learned to drive and expect them to compete. She hit the wall on the first corner after taking three other cars out in the process because nobody explained to her what the steering wheel was for!!!:jap:.

Fact: nobody has heard much of Tea S these last days... Would it be that the messiah has - for a change - no magic remedy to propose to "his" people?

I've heard that he has applied for a name change recently to try to help out the situation!!

It went something along the lines of............. "Khun King Canute" I think!!!!:jap:.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

All the Thaksin obsessives are gutted there hasn't been a Mr T sound bite they can rip into. Worry not, my friends. Your tormentor and provider is merely increasing your hunger so that its sating will be all the more joyous and frenzied. There will be fresh meat before long, just when you think you can't stand the waiting any more.

Done.

Oct 11 2011

As usual, Mr Thaksin was full of ideas, particularly on how to solve Thailand's chronic water problems.

Continues:

I doesn't happen that his son, daughter, brother in law or home maid just opened an integrated water management company on aeh "Island of Man"?

Done.

Oct 11 2011

Continues:

Obviously new to some. ;)

This has happend everywhere over Thailand and it will happen in BKK too. By building dykes you flood other parts more. So i understand people breaking them down. Same here we have more water because BKK refused to open its floodgates more. So if one of those breaks down it could help me.

Once the water hits your house you think a lot differently about dykes that make the water enter your home.

Either you are as dense as a sandbag or English is not be your first language. The tone of what you keep posting sounds vindictive and childish. And just what does your comment:

"Once the water hits your house you (will) think a lot differently about dykes that make the water enter your home." mean???? blink.gif

How does any of that not make sense? Put simply they've flooded the provinces to save Bangkok. It would piss me off if I lived up there

OMG. Please, not another revolution.

Yes, but this time the Red Shirts will not come personally to destroy Bangkok. They will just, with the help of the government, send their water to do the molestation of the capital.

Friend of mine in the UK made the comment....... Surely it would be better to have an engineer making decisions rather than the Thai PM. I told him it doesn't really matter as they both bought their degrees out of the same box of cornflakes. Best of luck to all those effected, was in Bang Bua Thong upto the Rama V bridge yesterday and it's really a horrible mess.

Given that this matter has clearly been part of the nation's problems for decades doing something now is definitely closing the barn door once the horses are out. This matter should have been addressed decades ago but apparently no one saw enough money in it to pursue it.

Says it all really - I agree totally.

Edited by Maverell

I can't, I can't!!!! that's why I jumped the gun and pre-empted it!!;).

Having said that, I see that the pygmy has spoken about his ideas for preventing future flood crisis. It seems that anyone can play this game so I'm going to spend the next couples of hours fixing the future and will present my findings and plan soon after to the awaiting press. I can tell you one thing!!! it will cost a lot more than Thaksin's quoted 400 million baht after I've taken my wedge out of it :unsure:.

That IS how it works, isn't it????????????

Done.

Oct 11 2011

Continues:

I doesn't happen that his son, daughter, brother in law or home maid just opened an integrated water management company on aeh "Island of Man"?

Source?

This has happend everywhere over Thailand and it will happen in BKK too. By building dykes you flood other parts more. So i understand people breaking them down. Same here we have more water because BKK refused to open its floodgates more. So if one of those breaks down it could help me.

Once the water hits your house you think a lot differently about dykes that make the water enter your home.

The water does not belong to Bangkok and should not be allowed to flood the capital, which will cause an economic disaster for the whole country.

Bangkok has a flood protection to protect its citizens and values from being flooded, so why should Bangkok now be flooded, because other provinces didn´t do anything preventive, to protect their own homes from being flooded?

Imagine a sloping area, if its not blocked water will flow down freely and at speed never getting high and moving quickly. Now if you block that slope water will rise on higher parts of thie slope causing more trouble there. Also the water will take longer to find its path around the slope giving more trouble to parts higher up the sloping area.

So what i am saying is don't block the flow of water or when you do give it alternatives to move to. This way everyone will be rid of it faster and the water wont be as high in the effected area's. Of course sandbags will have to be placed around hospitals and other important buildings as long as you give the water an alternative place to go to.

This is what i propose, not the who scale flooding of Bangkok out of revenge.

I hope this makes it more clear.

Still, the dimensions flooding of inner BKK would have justify the attempts to avoid the water getting in at any cost. If you ever experienced what's coming up from the underworld when city roads are flooded then you really don't want to be in that place again. The estimation is that there are 4 rats per human in the sewers of bigger cities. And that's just one of the smaller problems to deal with. Try to find a solution to feed the 4+ million in the inner core and get rid of the food once it is digested. I feel you pain but there's a good reason they block the waters. In your Moobaan 1 rai most likely equals 4 - 20 pax. Where I live the density per Rai is > 1000 pax (on 20+ floors).

someones obsessed with a former PM

Either you are as dense as a sandbag or English is not be your first language. The tone of what you keep posting sounds vindictive and childish. And just what does your comment:

"Once the water hits your house you (will) think a lot differently about dykes that make the water enter your home." mean???? blink.gif

No need for (will).

You can use present tense if the idea of the statement is that every time water hits your house you think a lot differently. example, when I go to work i think of my family. That is past, present and future wrapped into one.

I would not feel good if water that was flowing by my house became backed up because someone put up a wall. Some people have been living in water for weeks now. I do not know what the solution is, I am no expert, but I certainly can sympathize with someone who sacrificed so much, especially since many who benefit from that sacrifice will never appreciate it.

I have been trying to figure out what to do with my family who lives next to maha sawat canal, soon to breach the banks. The more I think about it the more I realize, there are no good choices for us. This is just an incredibly difficult situation for everyone and certainly not the time to be overly critical, it is more of a time for compassion and consideration.

Imagine a sloping area, if its not blocked water will flow down freely and at speed never getting high and moving quickly. Now if you block that slope water will rise on higher parts of thie slope causing more trouble there. Also the water will take longer to find its path around the slope giving more trouble to parts higher up the sloping area.

This is what i propose, not the who scale flooding of Bangkok out of revenge.

I hope this makes it more clear.

Still, the dimensions flooding of inner BKK would have justify the attempts to avoid the water getting in at any cost. If you ever experienced what's coming up from the underworld when city roads are flooded then you really don't want to be in that place again. The estimation is that there are 4 rats per human in the sewers of bigger cities. And that's just one of the smaller problems to deal with. Try to find a solution to feed the 4+ million in the inner core and get rid of the food once it is digested. I feel you pain but there's a good reason they block the waters. In your Moobaan 1 rai most likely equals 4 - 20 pax. Where I live the density per Rai is > 1000 pax (on 20+ floors).

Ill be honest I dont know if it will help but if it does then i still say to flood BKK especially if its only a week and lower then half a meter. Especially if it saves all uf us 6 weeks of suffering. But these are figures i just get out of my head just like your fears and figures.

Also i am not suggesting to flooding the whole of bkk.. but blocking off certain areas so a nice constant stream of water starts that moves and flows (then no rats because it will all flow to the river / ocean. Just making one big stagnant pool out of Bangkok to save it here is not what i want. But a nice flowing path through BKK (if at all possible) would be good.

I have neither the knowledge of the land nor other info to see if its possible but its something that should be thought of and checked.

But blocking up water and not giving it an viable alternative route is just as stupid. In the end something will breach.(by nature).

They should think of sacrificing parts of it for the greater good. But only after careful checking of elevation and exit route for water.

Just flooding a part of BKK and creating an other stagnant pool is not a good idea. But a stream that drains water would be a good idea. I admit i don't know if its possible but its something that has to be thought about.

I must have missed the news. When was the Chao Phraya blocked?

They fail to realize that without the provinces, without the food and work force that comes from those provinces, Bangkok could not survive. Bangkok is Bangkok, it is NOT Thailand.

Hypothetically, if the non-Bangkok population and infrastructure were eradicated, people from Bangkok could relocate and re-populate those areas and resume agricultural operations. Regarding the Bangkok jobs that were previously done by those who were from outside Bangkok, people in Bangkok could simply fill them.

What if, on the other hand, the population and infrastructure of Bangkok were eradicated? Could the non-Bangkok population rebuild the infrastructure and replace the skilled workforce currently in Bangkok?

Blimey. I thought Pol Pot was dead. But it seems he is alive and well and his name is .............................

I must have missed the news. When was the Chao Phraya blocked?

Its not.. but have you seen what is comming ? is a wide front of water much wider then the Chao Phraya. It needs to be drained too. I am really far from the Chao Phraya. Just look at those satellite images. Bangkok is blocking it, question is till what extent and as i said countless times i would not want it to flood if there was no benefit and only created another stagnate pool of water. Nice flowing water up to 30 cm would be nice. (if it helped speed up the situation by a few weeks)