Marriage Visa

Hi, sorry if i sound ignorant.

But, i thought you could only have a non imm O visa (90 days stay, if multiple entry can come and go as you please for 12 months staying 90 days at a time), what is the extension of stay for 12 months based on marriage i.e i thought you could only get this if you are 50 years of older?

Q 1: I had my non imm O visa issued in Australia, so you are saying that with the additional info while i am in thailand i could apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage which will allow me to stay for 12 months , rather that leaving the country every 90 days, is this correct?

Q2: I only have a marriage certificate from Australia, so i am assuming this will suffice and i would need it translated ?

Q3. What is a KOR2, KOR 3 ?

Q4: If we are living in a rented house, do we need show the rental agreement? is this part of a KOR 2 what ever that is

Q5: if have Australian marriage certifcate as we got married in Australia not Thailand do i need anything else , apart from the Police order stating all the requirements, to get a letter from the embassy to state proof of income i am assuming you have to show you embassy proof such as bank statements etc, does this letter from embassy need to be translated?

many thanks

darrenr

PS can verify below but will provide answer for now:

1. Yes.

2. Translated, chop from your Embassy, registration at MFA and then recorded at a District Office to receive KR2 document.

3. KR2 is ledger entry of marriage and KR3 is Thai marriage certificate. Foreign marriage certificate can be used if in English for immigration.

4. Rental agreement or some such proof of residence (determines what office you can use). Will still require wife ID and her blue book registration documents.

5. Believe Oz uses the same notarized statement requirement as US for letter (but additional supporting documents could be asked by immigration). English is fine.

Many thanks for the answers, What is a chop from the Embasy, registration at the MFA ?

Q1:So you are saying that even though i married by wife in Australia with Australian certificate , i still need to have it registered and recorded for the purposes of a extension of stay based on marriage/

Q2: Is this the same for a non imm O-A retirement visa ? or i can just show my australian marriage certificate without it being registered.

Q3: We did have a thai wedding in her village, but did not register it as legally married in Australia in 2006, Thai wedding this was back in 2007 ?

many thanks for your help and assistance.

regards

darrenr

Thank you everyone! How do I find out contact info for the immigration offices such as phone numbers and addresses? Do I need to schedule an appointment or just show up early and grab a queue ticket? Do they have phone numbers that work?... so far I haven't been able to contact a single office. But I would really like to actually talk to someone and make sure that I understand the requirements correctly BEFORE i show up there.

There are many expats living in Bang Saen and the surrounding area. Your best bet is to just go to the office in Sri Racha. It is on the road that passes by Samitivej Hospital down by the harbor. There are actually a couple of people there that speak English. Good luck.

Edited by Griffin09

Yes you can convert to a non-O based on marriage for 2000 baht.

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Paperwork for the 1 year extension of stay.

1. Application form T.M. 7 with one photograph size 4x6 cm. and Visa Fee 1900.-Baht

2. Copy Marriage Certificate

3. Copy Kor Ror 2 from amphur office (not older than six months)

4. Child's birth certificate (if any)

5. Copy wife's house registration

6. Copy wife's identity card

7. Copy passport, non-Im visa, arrival card.

8. Interview the husband and wife for confirming status of husband and wife

9. Map to residency

10. Picture of house and family, in house and outside showing house number.

With money in bank option.

1. Letter from bank same day or day before stating bank records, make a transaction just before to get it up to date.

2. Bank account must be in Husbands name, joint accounts will not qualify.

With Income in Thailand option

1. A copy of work permit

2. Personal Corporation income Tax (PND.1) in latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt

With Income from abroad.

1. Embassy letter stating your income.

All of the above in two copies, if not in BKK

This is a super reply and a pleasure to see someone stretch out a helping hand.

Many thanks for the answers, What is a chop from the Embasy, registration at the MFA ?

Q1:So you are saying that even though i married by wife in Australia with Australian certificate , i still need to have it registered and recorded for the purposes of a extension of stay based on marriage/

Q2: Is this the same for a non imm O-A retirement visa ? or i can just show my australian marriage certificate without it being registered.

Q3: We did have a thai wedding in her village, but did not register it as legally married in Australia in 2006, Thai wedding this was back in 2007 ?

many thanks for your help and assistance.

regards

darrenr

1. You must have KR2 to extend - that requires recording of the foreign marriage in ledger of a District Office and they only accept Thai language and a translation requires Embassy signature and recording at MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) to make it legal.

2. Retirement has nothing to do with marriage so it would not be required for OA visa or extension of stay within Thailand for retirement.

3. Thai ceremony has no legal status in or outside of Thailand and is not required.

Regarding the Kor Ror 2

PoorSucker, Thanks for sharing your knowledge.. perhaps you can expand on this for me.....

Don't know the immigrations in Udon, but here on Samui they require a recent one.

It's stamped and signed with a date.

You can get the Kor Ror 2 at any Amphur, recent marriages are on the computer.

If you have a long way to immigrations, get a recent Kor Ror 2 before travelling, costs me 20 baht here on Samui.

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

1. Application form T.M. 7 with one photograph size 4x6 cm. and Visa Fee 1900.-Baht

9. Map to residency

1. Letter from bank same day or day before stating bank records, make a transaction just before to get it up to date.

1. A copy of work permit

2. Personal Corporation income Tax (PND.1) in latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt

With Income from abroad.

This is SPOT on what you have to do.

9. Map to residency

1. A copy of work permit

With Income from abroad.

Hi there, you seems to know about this VISA rules!

A question, there is a lot of different opinions in different offices when converting VISA:s, can you please clear this out?

In Nakhon Rachtasima they claim that the only way to convert a tourist VISA is with 800 000 Baht in the bank,

no income proof is accepted and no other option is available, only temporary 3 months non-O VISA and/or when

proofed from bank that you have 800 000 in 3 months you can have a retirement VISA

In Chiang Mai they claim that you can not change a retirement VISA to a marriage VISA in Thailand but you

have to go abroad to another country and Thai embassy and even though you can not be sure. All embassies

seems to have their own rules...

If I understand you right one can change a retirement VISA to a marriage VISA in Bangkok, has this been done?

//Martin

The thread is about change of a tourist visa or visa exempt entry into a non immigrant visa to allow retirement or marriage extension of stay and this is available for anyone in Thailand - if not by local office Bangkok will do it and you then can make the normal extension later at local office.

You can also change from retirement extension or marriage extension anywhere at next extension of stay (but if you meet retirement financials they will likely provide that extension rather than the more complex marriage which requires Bangkok approval). The requirement for extension of stay is 2 months (not three) for marriage and for first retirement extension.

In Nakhon Rachtasima they claim that the only way to convert a tourist VISA is with 800 000 Baht in the bank,

no income proof is accepted and no other option is available, only temporary 3 months non-O VISA and/or when

proofed from bank that you have 800 000 in 3 months you can have a retirement VISA

In Chiang Mai they claim that you can not change a retirement VISA to a marriage VISA in Thailand but you

have to go abroad to another country and Thai embassy and even though you can not be sure. All embassies

seems to have their own rules...

If I understand you right one can change a retirement VISA to a marriage VISA in Bangkok, has this been done?

//Martin

Offices tries to makes their own rules.

They really don't want to convert retirement extensions to marriage extensions because it's more work for them.

No, you can only get your extension at the office that serves your location.

But if they deny you, an appeal can be made to BKK.

This will cause the officer to lose face and give you really bad service in the future.

I did not appeal, but I refused to pay 3100 baht in key money some years ago.

After that I have to wait until they close to get my extension.

No problem, now I turn up 45 min before they close. :lol:

Here's a quick question. I'm currently on an "under consideration" stamp for a marriage extension and will pick up the full year's stamp next week. Since I paid the 1900 baht for the extension my circumstances have changed and I might have to be in and out of Thailand quite a bit over the next year. When I go to pick up my extension can I ask them to make it a multi-entry and pay the difference there and then or is it a bit more involved than that? Cheers.

OP, you may be required to stay at your home during the initial process to prove that you live together as husband and wife. Four years ago there was a required "surprise" visit. We were given a 2 week time frame. After 10 days of being housebound, immigration telephoned and said they'll be at our home within 2 hours. They showed up and inspected all of our documents.

Also, forget about calling immigration. Just GO to the office. Each office seems to vary slightly in the requirements so get a list from your local immigration of their specific requirements. For instance, for some a letter from your embassy is sufficient proof of income while other immigration offices require bank statements. After the initial issuance of the visa, the renewal process is pretty straight forward.

Edited by venturalaw

Here's a quick question. I'm currently on an "under consideration" stamp for a marriage extension and will pick up the full year's stamp next week. Since I paid the 1900 baht for the extension my circumstances have changed and I might have to be in and out of Thailand quite a bit over the next year. When I go to pick up my extension can I ask them to make it a multi-entry and pay the difference there and then or is it a bit more involved than that? Cheers.

You can apply for the Multi Re Entry permit any time you want. 3,800 Baht. Don't forget the passport size photo.

You can apply for the Multi Re Entry permit any time you want. 3,800 Baht. Don't forget the passport size photo.

Cheers LB. I take it that's available at any immi office?

The Kor Ror 2. Seems it is issued to your wife, not to you, using her ID card. They didn't talk to me or want my passport. Was told at my Amphur for Visa purposes it must be up to date, new copy near Visa renewal. This is what the mrs told me, (as l don't speak the lingo) , . :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I will be going to renew my one year extension based on marriage in the coming weeks. Specifically, for Chonburi immigration, can anyone please confirm if a current copy of the Kor Ror 2 from the amphur office (not older than six months) is now required? In the past, I have only provided them with a copy of the marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3) as part of the application and that was sufficient.

I also recall having seen reports that Chonburi immigration now requires 3 application forms T.M. 7 with 3 attached photographs. Is this still the case in Chonburi based on any recent experiences?

Many thanks.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I will be going to renew my one year extension based on marriage in the coming weeks. Specifically, for Chonburi immigration, can anyone please confirm if a current copy of the Kor Ror 2 from the amphur office (not older than six months) is now required? In the past, I have only provided them with a copy of the marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3) as part of the application and that was sufficient.

I also recall having seen reports that Chonburi immigration now requires 3 application forms T.M. 7 with 3 attached photographs. Is this still the case in Chonburi based on any recent experiences?

Many thanks.

It bears repeating for you can never be assured that the information received from posters, although perhaps provided with the best intentions, is current and/or accurate.

Just GO to the office. . . get a list from your local immigration of their specific requirements.

Bring the list with you to your interview with the specific documents checked off on the list and with the items in the order requested on the list. Then there won't (or shouldn't) be any problems.