Ibm's And Linux

kelv23

Here we go again.

In my never ending search for a laptop I've now been steered toward an IBM.Thought they were way too expensive but learned that theyre pretty fairly priced looking at the 30-40,000 mark.Whats the compatibility stories and general views of IBM's and Linux.I'd be using suse on it if that helps any

thanks

Edited by kelv23

Here we go again.

In my never ending search for a laptop I've now been steered toward an IBM.Thought they were way too expensive but learned that theyre pretty fairly priced looking at the 30-40,000 mark.Whats the compatibility stories and general views of IBM's and Linux.I'd be using suse on it if that helps any

thanks

hi'

until last year, all I know, is :fully compatible :o

francois

IBM notebooks O no....Please save yourself from the horror buy a Acer

Acer Aspire 3003NWLCi

AMD Sempron 3000+ processor

Wireless Lan IEEE 802.11b/g

256MB DDR (max 2GB)

60GB Hard Disk

DVD combo (DVD drive CD-RW)

56K modem, 10/100 Lan,

15,4" WXGA Crystalbrite TFT

3D AGP 64MB graphics

Linux preinstalled

1 year international Warranty

1 year notebook insurance

Price 29.900 Baht (Acer price discounts possible)

People who ever try to install a internal "notebook" modem, then you know how to love that there are drivers on the CD's which install without much worry. I also did get a ADSL router with Ethernet Lan connection and 2 months free True ADSL.

IBM notebooks O no....Please save yourself from the horror buy a Acer

Acer Aspire 3003NWLCi

AMD Sempron 3000+ processor

Wireless Lan IEEE 802.11b/g

256MB DDR (max 2GB)

60GB Hard Disk

DVD combo (DVD drive CD-RW)

56K modem, 10/100 Lan,

15,4" WXGA Crystalbrite TFT

3D AGP 64MB graphics

Linux preinstalled

1 year international Warranty

1 year notebook insurance

Price 29.900 Baht (Acer price discounts possible)

People who ever try to install a internal "notebook" modem, then you know how to love that there are drivers on the CD's which install without much worry. I also did get a ADSL router with Ethernet Lan connection and 2 months free True ADSL.

yeah I know about acers but cant tell why you've said "save yourself the horror of an IBM"

You may or may not have this link already:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Cheers

Yup, this is the place to look. I've had no real troubles with any of the thinkpads I've used with Linux over the years (X20, X22, X30, T40, T41, X40), but the included hardware changes a bit with every version. I tend to research the specific items before getting a new computer, e.g. video adapter, wireless card, etc. I don't really use any other peripherals anymore, now that wireless is rampant.

I've been happy with T41 and X40 compatibility with recent Fedora releases, using the "cisco A/B/G" wireless card option, which is supported by the madwifi drivers which you need to obtain separately from the kernel. I also recommend the ibm-acpi modules from original authors if you intend to use ACPI. The ones bundled in kernels tend to be older and less feature-rich, if you care about having all the little doodads working. The recent radeon drivers seem OK for me, but I am not doing much in the line of OpenGL work; the TV-out is basically useless in Linux, but the LCD and VGA output work nicely. The speedstep/centrino stuff works just fine, as does the internal CD writer and DVD reader. Haven't had a chance to try the new T42 with DVD recorder.

I had a motherboard failure in my T41 and got free warranty service in Bangkok under the original 3 year warranty, so I am happy with the support. Who knows how long it will last before Lenova changes something for the worse.

> I had a motherboard failure in my T41 and got free warranty service in

> Bangkok under the original 3 year warranty, so I am happy with the support.

Hi autonomous - where did you get ThinkPad service in Bangkok?

I need to get my R51 wifi antenna checked out.

Anybody else have good info about laptop service in Bangkok?

Thanks much!

-- james [web]walker

[[ Cyberwallah to Tibet

Hi autonomous - where did you get ThinkPad service in Bangkok?

I need to get my R51 wifi antenna checked out.

Anybody else have good info about laptop service in Bangkok?

Thanks much!

-- james [web]walker

[[ Cyberwallah to Tibet

There is a big IBM Thailand service center near the Victory Monument. It is on the block with the Thai Farmers Bank, in the opposite direction from the monument as the Siam Discovery Center.

388 Paholyothin Rd., Phyathai, Bangkok 10400.

Tel: 02-273-0041

My wife swung by on the way to work, so I cannot tell you exactly where to go. She said it was pretty straightforward though to find the service counter and hand over the laptop w/ some paperwork to fill out.

BTW, if you go to the IBM website and navigate to PCs and laptops, there are some links in there under service to query the warranty status of a particular machine by entering the serial number, etc.