High Season Prices For Thai Residents In Chiang Mai

Thailand

Just added new prices to a blog at ChiangMaiGolfCourses .com - prices are for Thai residents with driving license / ID and are mainly for weekdays only. Check with courses for confirmation.

Big increases from a couple of the courses but Gold Canyon is good value and Inthanon not too bad.

Please post any additional info or corrections you may have.

So, and even though i'm a member there, mae jo are joining the greedy ranks of that uber-corporate alpine golf club in trying to fleece its customers with open avarice.

I would also add that buying drinking water in the club house at mae jo is more expensive than petrol.

I think there's one price for you to add mate: i believe i'm correct in saying that green valley charge 800 baht (or thereabouts) for their night golf tee-off times. I think that means you start after 2pm, or maybe 3. I also think that this price INCLUDES the caddy fee.

It's a great deal, and you won't play too many holes in the lights.

So, and even though i'm a member there, mae jo are joining the greedy ranks of that uber-corporate alpine golf club in trying to fleece its customers with open avarice.

can you explain further?

2500 baht is surely an extortionate price for a round of golf. Add in a minimum of 500 baht for caddy fee and tip, and we come to 3000 baht, which to my english brain is over 60 quid. Now one can play very decent courses indeed in england for this price, yet thailand is a developing world nation, with accordingly lower prices for most things. And most golfers like to play at least weekly, so the game again reverts to an exclusive group of people who can stump up such sums every week to play the game.

Their avarice becomes further exposed when they are charging more for their drinking water than petrol. Not to mention the ubiquitous 10% and 7% charges that make the already high food and beer prices pretty exhorbitant. I would think i'm right in saying that the price of a beer can only be more expensive in thailand in five star hotels. I can't see any justification for that, except that they know japanese and koreans will pay these prices and think they're cheap.

When i first started playing golf in thailand about 12 years ago, none of this was happening. But as word of mouth spread around the world of the great thai golfing experience, golf course owners - presumably making profit at all the old prices - started pushing prices up steeply, very steeply. And at a time when the global economy is stalling, here we have two courses in chiang mai behaving poorly.

In my opinion!

I agree, the cost of golf in Thailand, relative to other things, is very expensive. I just wasn't sure exactly what you meant as far as who and how they were over charging.

One thing to remember, is that land is also relatively expensive. Therefore it seems logical, the cost of golf will be expensive.

Also, as I call it, the caddy 'tax' doesnt' make things any better.

All that said, if the courses are full, you can't blame them for charging what they do. If people wanted to come and stand in my yard for 4 hours and pay me 3000 baht to do it, that's what I would charge so long as that was the price that optimized my revenue.

Re your comment that land is relatively expensive. Most courses were formed years ago when land prices were much less than they are now. These courses used to operate with no problems charging a fraction of what they charge just a decade later.

One of the two newest courses in chiang mai, gold canyon, remains the cheapest according to the list from the OP, and of course, that land was only purchased in the much more recent past.

I recall that the Royal golf course in chiang mai about nine years ago was charging about 600 baht for a round. Then suddenly this went up to about 1600 baht to match most other courses around here.

So i'm not sure it's down to land prices.

I think it's the thinking that you refer to later, where you would charge what you could get away with. As i said in another thread, this is the capitalist model of life what we have all had foisted on us, especially so in the last 20-30 years in western nations, and which has now infested richer thai business owners. It's all about maximising revenue, so that a few people can get ridiculously rich from land that has existed for thousands of years.

Yes, in the high season the courses may well be pretty full, but full of tourists who have the mega bucks required to play the game. Hardly land for the locals is it? I play some of my golf at a club which charges much less, and meet local thais who would love to play the bigger courses here, but don't earn enough money. Their land for other people on holiday.

It wouldn't be so bad if all the courses banded together to offer a sort of area membership for local people. But no, tourist revenue is more important.

... this is the capitalist model of life what we have all had foisted on us, especially so in the last 20-30 years in western nations, ...

Indeed, in the ‘good ole days’ 50 years ago there were no greedy capitalist exploiting the proletariat.

You people crack me up.

:rolleyes:

TH

Added

Stardome

Green fee: 600฿ caddy fee 200฿ 2x9 -18holes.

Same for everybody although a pre 8am special for over 60's 9 holes for 250฿ green fee only so not much of a deal.

A 9 hole course so not very good value, also have "night golf" from 1600hrs extra fees for electricity. They allow sixes to play there so another downside.

Added

Stardome

Green fee: 600฿ caddy fee 200฿ 2x9 -18holes.

Same for everybody although a pre 8am special for over 60's 9 holes for 250฿ green fee only so not much of a deal.

A 9 hole course so not very good value, also have "night golf" from 1600hrs extra fees for electricity. They allow sixes to play there so another downside.

Golf is basically a rich mans game, many people here on Phuket have vast amounts of money and do not care what the green fee's are, ex-pat off shore workers, Koreans, Japanese will pay what is asked, this has ruined the game for the more normal people who do not have vast amounts of money, I will not pay 4000 bht and up here, yes I can get close to half price discount with a golf society card but still too expensive for me, my local 9 hole course is better, high season green fee is with discount card 1100 bht including caddy fee. unfortunately it's life and the green fee's will continue to rise if the market is their, duel pricing is also something that will not go away pay or don't play, I choose not to play, thinking of taking up tidily winks!!!

• 1 month later...

Gassan Lake City update. I played today 550b. Surprisingly good condition, I havn't played there in about 6 months. The course is very green and there was some watering on the 5th . The fairway and tee boxes are quite good and the greens are very acceptable. Few brown spots and fairly smooth. sand traps however are hopeless. It's a holiday today and the course was as busy as I have ever seen it. But I had no waiting, playing as a single, until 16. It's probably as good as it's going to get, so patronize the course and give some caddies some work. It's now the best deal in the city!!

Gassan Lake City update. I played today 550b. Surprisingly good condition, I havn't played there in about 6 months. The course is very green and there was some watering on the 5th . The fairway and tee boxes are quite good and the greens are very acceptable. Few brown spots and fairly smooth. sand traps however are hopeless. It's a holiday today and the course was as busy as I have ever seen it. But I had no waiting, playing as a single, until 16. It's probably as good as it's going to get, so patronize the course and give some caddies some work. It's now the best deal in the city!!

By a long way but was trying to keep it quiet! :)

They seem to be creeping the price up by 50 a month so watch out for that.

400 in Sept,500 Oct -Nov now 550.

Stay out of the "sand"!

• 3 weeks later...

To chime in, yes golf in TL is very expensive. I've played the top courses at a number of locations and have generally gotten all-in promotions for apx 3,500 baht. Done this while on holiday as I couldn't afford it as my local course. I'm from San Diego and we have dozens of courses at apx 1,000 baht per round. As a city resident can even play Torrey Pines during twilight for 1,000 baht. There are only a handfull of courses in the county that charge 3,000 and up, and they are the exceptions.

As for TL, it's a rich man's game. Even the new Singha Park in Khon Kaen was 3,000 for a mid-week round. Interestingly, the parking lot was full of vehicles driven by BiB, who appeared to be having a private tournament that day. Never seen so many brown vehicles in one place.

As for my TW and I, and yes she plays quite well, we have a 9-hole course, sritani golf forest, fifteen minutes from the house in Udon that charges 500 baht for 18 holes, plus 150 for caddie. There is also an 18 hole 45 minutes away near Nong Khai city that is apx 1,200 round. Hopefully these reasonable options in Udon don't go crazy like they have elsewhere in los.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• 2 weeks later...

I played Singha Park and Victory Park last week. Singha has sport day Tues. and Wed. 700B. Victory Park is a disappointment at 1000B, not very good condition as it's getting overgrown with 'cow' grass. Too bad as it's a nice layout. I'm sure Chang makes plenty of money from selling their 'beer' to invest in the course.

• 1 month later...

I'm just adding on low season rates, rather than start a new thread. It looks like low season rates are coming now. Green Valley night golf is now 650+250B. Starting at 3PM. We were all asked for proof of residence so be prepared.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just adding on low season rates, rather than start a new thread. It looks like low season rates are coming now. Green Valley night golf is now 650+250B. Starting at 3PM. We were all asked for proof of residence so be prepared.

Saw your post on Inthanon,really is amazing Thailand.

I posted about Lanna actually raising their prices from 1st March for sports day from 500 to 700 and heard that when the Chiangmai Golf Festival comes around they will go to 800baht +, TIT.

Also heard that Highland will not take part in the golf festival this year,anybody heard similar rumours?

Re your comment that land is relatively expensive. Most courses were formed years ago when land prices were much less than they are now. These courses used to operate with no problems charging a fraction of what they charge just a decade later....

..So i'm not sure it's down to land prices.

I'd disagree with you here. They bought the land for less but every day, every land based business makes a decision: Do I keep operating, or do I sell the land and cash out. Every year, the equation changes. It's the same with farming.

At some point, it may be better to sell the land and cash out. The alternative is to charge more for the "product" from the land. In the case of golf courses, that means higher greens fees. If they can't get the higher greens fees, there will be one more condo or industrial development and one less golf course to choose from.

That's not to say there aren't some other dynamics as others are pointing out (full courses even at higher prices- supply and demand).

• Like 2

Chiang Mai is over-supplied with golf courses and the demand is only for 5-6 months of the year. And even then they are not that crowded and you can pretty much play anywhere you want.There are 11 18 hole (1 is 27 and Gold Canyon will soon be 27) courses accessible from the city, Gassan Khuntan being the farthest away, and 3 more in Chiang Rai and 1 near Lampang. Now the Korean investors are getting into the game and supplying their tourists' demand with their own courses complete with accommodations and other facilities. Gold Canyon and Happy City(?) are the ones I'm aware of. So those courses will pull business away from the other local courses as tour operators in Korea book with the Korean owned courses. An additional new 18 hole course is under construction in Hang Dong. Anyone will tell you that the courses are virtually deserted though the low season, and the typical Thai solution is to increase rates. Even the tourists like a good deal and the better the price the more customers will come. The crowds at Lanna on 500B sport day attest to that. So what makes sense, at least to us? As far as I'm concerned, if Highlands opts out of the festival then they should be fully boycotted. Let them hit one way out of bounds, they don't give a dam_n about us foreign golfers here anyway so screw them. We should only be patronizing the courses which appreciate our business and price accordingly. Gold Canyon and Inthanon (sort of) are the best examples and get most of my business.

Edited by sticklee

Re your comment that land is relatively expensive. Most courses were formed years ago when land prices were much less than they are now. These courses used to operate with no problems charging a fraction of what they charge just a decade later....

..So i'm not sure it's down to land prices.

I'd disagree with you here. They bought the land for less but every day, every land based business makes a decision: Do I keep operating, or do I sell the land and cash out. Every year, the equation changes. It's the same with farming.

At some point, it may be better to sell the land and cash out. The alternative is to charge more for the "product" from the land. In the case of golf courses, that means higher greens fees. If they can't get the higher greens fees, there will be one more condo or industrial development and one less golf course to choose from.

That's not to say there aren't some other dynamics as others are pointing out (full courses even at higher prices- supply and demand).

You won't fit in here.

Played Inthanon today. 800+250.....hmmm so I asked how long the special price is for and was told that the special is for Golf Festival and they have the special rate until end of October. You might to confirm before heading down there.