Toyota V8 Exhaust Pipes Length/Size

Your sitting in water so why even run a radiator ?

There are systems which run piping from the rad into the water along the hull, and cool this way. High drag tho'

The best reason to run a rad is an enclosed cooling system, which you can keep clean and with the proper PH balance. It also allows for accurate operating temperature of the engine, with the side benefit of being able to incorporate engine oil cooling into the system.

• Like 1

There are systems which run piping from the rad into the water along the hull, and cool this way. High drag tho'

The best reason to run a rad is an enclosed cooling system, which you can keep clean and with the proper PH balance. It also allows for accurate operating temperature of the engine, with the side benefit of being able to incorporate engine oil cooling into the system.

And, if alloy block/heads are used, a corrosion inhibitor is paramount on this sealed cooling system. thumbsup.gif

Get a proper shroud for the fan, too.

shroud????? sorry, but whats that? some cover to prevent the fan from taking air from above/below/the sides of the radiator?

Yes.

post-62503-0-59444100-1345953796_thumb.j

ta, thought so

talked it over with a mechanic today, he both grasped and liked the idea

the suction ain't too bad though, (through the rad.)

tested with some paperbox bits

but the fan is too small and it is not well aligned with the rad and it is too far away from the rad

problem is that these guys have never seen a boat with rad. before,

such boats are very few and far between on the inland waterways

getting a bit fed up with the difficulties of getting spare parts,

but will visit another engine market in Nonthaburi tomorrow

was at the huge engine market in Bang Pli (BangNA - Trat) yesterday

discovered that most 1UZs have either electric or hydraulic driven fans, mine is belt driven

found one 1UZ fan, the chap just wouldn't sell it, even when I offered stupid amounts

right,

but piping outside or under the hull ain't really feasible on high speed boats (I think)

would be good to have roughly the right operating temperature,

that would also help having the right temperature for the engine oil

I have installed an oil cooler, not sure if its needed, if not can just cover it with plastic.

(it looks good though)

you can see it one of the video clips above

right,

but piping outside or under the hull ain't really feasible on high speed boats (I think)

Millions of inboard ski boats says there is no need for a sealed cooling system.

right,

Millions of inboard ski boats says there is no need for a sealed cooling system.

Millions of inboard ski boats don't run on the Chao Praya where there is so much silt, plant life and plastic bags in the water that can make your day into a nightmare. Besides the silt playing havoc on your pump impellers, how'd you like to making a run up river and then having a plastic bag get sucked up into your intake? You wouldn't notice it until it was too late and your heads were warped. And that's just if your lucky.

Millions of inboard ski boats don't run on the Chao Praya where there is so much silt, plant life and plastic bags in the water that can make your day into a nightmare. Besides the silt playing havoc on your pump impellers, how'd you like to making a run up river and then having a plastic bag get sucked up into your intake? You wouldn't notice it until it was too late and your heads were warped. And that's just if your lucky.

I was replying to those who said it would not work, nothing to do with actual water conditions but now that you bring the subject how do the other water cooled long tails that run on the Chao Praya go with an open cooling system ?

Edited by Spoonman

I was replying to those who said it would not work, nothing to do with actual water conditions but now that you bring the subject how do the other water cooled long tails that run on the Chao Praya go with an open cooling system ?

I don't own one, wouldn't know. All I know is if I did own one, I wouldn't do it.

I have installed an oil cooler, not sure if its needed, if not can just cover it with plastic.

(it looks good though)

Try and keep you oil temp no hotter than about 250 - 275 F

Problems with the oil breaking down start once temp gets around 300 F

Below that - no problem. I have never run a long tail boat, but boats in general run a pretty constant RPM and are not subject to long pulls up steep hills as you have in a tractor-trailer. I forsee no problems with excessive oil temp.

You could use river water to cool the engine coolant using a sealed heat exchanger

Sealed is best for you. Me, Sure about that. thumbsup.gif

Why is not popular on inboard engine boats and please craft then ?

A jet ski would look hilarious with a massive china spec alloy radiator hanging on the front !!!!

Edited by Spoonman

You could use river water to cool the engine coolant using a sealed heat exchanger

A jet ski would look hilarious with a massive china spec alloy radiator hanging on the front !!!!

Think you must do your home work on stuff that probably isn't used much an corrosion. rolleyes.gif

Think you must do your home work on stuff that probably isn't used much an corrosion. rolleyes.gif

Off course if the owner is lazy and does no preventative maintenance things will corrode but adding weight and complexity to cool something that is sitting in millions of gallons of natural coolant seems to be idiotic at best.

Rubbish, the river that the ride will be used in does not contain anti corrosive properties, only POO. laugh.png

Where did I say water had anti corrosion properties ?

Come on now. YOU suggested using river cooling. Does river water contain the stuff to protect alloy stuff ? smile.png Nooooooooooooooo, and the OP does not know what is in the water except Poooooooooooo. His application SHOULD be sealed with the appropriate inhibiter's. thumbsup.gif

Rubbish, the river that the ride will be used in does not contain anti corrosive properties, only POO. laugh.png

Come on now. YOU suggested using river cooling. Does river water contain the stuff to protect alloy stuff ? smile.png Nooooooooooooooo, and the OP does not know what is in the water except Poooooooooooo. His application SHOULD be sealed with the appropriate inhibiter's. thumbsup.gif

Well I guess its just like running an alcohol engine aint it, complete drain and flush between use keeps the system happy, notice where I mentioned "preventative maintenance".......

Kinda like running an outboard in sea water, ya needs to give it a flush with fresh water once the day is done.

Edited by Spoonman

Well I guess its just like running an alcohol engine aint it, complete drain and flush between use keeps the system happy, notice where I mentioned "preventative maintenance".......

Kinda like running an outboard in sea water, ya needs to give it a flush with fresh water once the day is done.

So how does the OP flush it with fresh water. ? Poooooooo water ? Noooo, with his combo the sealed, inhibited system is trouble free and insurance. thumbsup.gif You can disagree, and thats OK, BUT, food for thought for the OP. smile.png

, with his combo the sealed, inhibited system is trouble free and insurance. thumbsup.gif

working a treat so far for him.

The lads that run on the same river of poo, how are they cooling their engines ?

Edited by Spoonman

, with his combo the sealed, inhibited system is trouble free and insurance. thumbsup.gif

The lads that run on the same river of poo, how are they cooling their engines ?

Honda lawn mower engines. laugh.png

Really, at the very least I would have though some sort of water cooled scooter engine. did not realise lawn mower engines were so prevalent.

What do the "speed racer" long tails use and how are they cooled on the river of poo ?

Honda lawn mower engines. laugh.png

Really, at the very least I would have though some sort of water cooled scooter engine. did not realise lawn mower engines were so prevalent.

What do the "speed racer" long tails use and how are they cooled on the river of poo ?

Do they all run alloy V8's ?

AND we are not talking river drag racers here, but a guy who has a fun boat that WILL be laid up a lot. Come on now, brain into gear eh. thumbsup.gif

Do they all run alloy V8's ?

AND we are not talking river drag racers here, but a guy who has a fun boat that WILL be laid up a lot. Come on now, brain into gear eh. thumbsup.gif

My brain is in gear hence I do not understand the need to add complexity to something that is supposed to be fun. each to their own I guess.