American Fast Food In Thailand

Eun SOe

Does The Dude dig Wendy's over Carl's Jr.?  Because a Wendy's square hamburger with ranch dressing and swiss cheese does not rule over a bacon guacamole Santa Fe burger from Carl's Jr.. Nor does a Big Mac compare to the Carl's Jr bacon burger with lettuce, tomato and onion for only 99 cents.

Wow Huckleberry, never had that CJs burg you refer to but used to dig CJs. I like that sound of the bacon guac on that there burger. Been to Jack-in-the-crotch lately, their food improved after getting rid of the clown but never anything to write home about

Edited by The Dude

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately, in Hua Hin, we've pretty much missed out on these outlets. MCD's have been trying for years to get a franchise, but it eventually went to BK. There's the equivalent of Pizza Hut as well.

That's as far as it goes - for now.

The BK is generally pretty busy with westerners on hols getting their daily fix of whatever.

Home from home,eh?

Wow, thanx for the tip there dude. Now I know why I've been avoiding that place all these years. Can't hang in a place that sleepy with no MCDs

The BK is generally pretty busy with westerners on hols getting their daily fix of whatever.

Home from home,eh?

Bangkok seems vastly different. Whenever I walk past a fast food restaurant, and there are hundreds, they seem to be filled with 99% Thais, and the odd BFA of course. Again, this is an example of Thais successfully marketing and selling a product to Thais. All the ads I see on TV, for fast food or any consumer product, seem to be targeted at Thais (the language is a dead giveway for me), with Thai actors or celebrities and portray the products being marketed positively in the context of a Thai lifestyle. Thais seem no less successful selling products than any other nationalities.

People should not be eatting chickens, cows, and pigs anyway I belive, just not natural, but to eat them the way KFC and Mc'd serves up dead animals is a shame, a crying shame.

Huh?

The word "natural" is defined as:

- Conforming to the usual or ordinary course of nature.

- Having a particular character by nature.

(and a bunch of other definitions too, but these are the most relevant).

"Conforming to the usual or ordinary".... "Having a particular character by nature"....

If you want to be a vegetarian for health reasons, or because you want to make a political statement about land use (beef cattle farming) or humane treatment (egg factories), or because you just don't like the taste of meat, then by all means, be a vegetarian.

Just remember that PERSONAL CHOICE is a two-way street, if you want it, you have to allow other people to have it too (without moralizing your objections to their decisions).

And certainly don't try to use some BS pseudo-science you read on some Vegan website to try to contradict the SCIENTIFIC REALITY that humans ARE omnivores and that the vast majority of humanity for its ENTIRE history has been omnivores.

Saying it's "not natural" for humans to eat meat is like saying it's not natural for fish to swim. Fish DO swim and people DO eat meat.

Scientifically (not morally) speaking, there's no such thing as an "unnatural act" because if it was "un-natural" you wouldn't be physically capable of doing it. For example, humans--without the aid of technology--cannot swim to a depth of 2000 meters or fly like a bird, but we most certainly CAN and DO eat meat without any sort of technical assistance. Early humans scavenged animal carcasses on the plains of Africa using "technology" no greater than that used by a chimpanzee or sea otter. Human teeth marks on animal bones PROVE that we've been omnivores for pretty much our entire existence as a species.

You cannot say that it is "not natural" (scientifically or morally) for humans to eat meat when the vast majority of the species does exactly that, and always has done exactly that.

I've got absolutely no problem with someone chosing a vegan lifestyle, and I'm very considerate of my vegan friends when they come to dine at my home (I do my best to ensure a menu selection that they can eat). But what really irks me is when some people start to get all preachy about it.

I eat a perfectly healthy diet that happens to include meat. You eat a perfectly healthy diet that doesn't. That should be the end of it. Nobody should tell me that my dietary habits are "immoral" or "unnatural", especially when that statement contradicts all of human history and pre-history, all scientific and antecdotal evidence, and most importantly, the very sharp and pointy canines in my own mouth.

What should I use those teeth for? Rending the flesh of a tomato? Feh...

Edited by Pudgimelon

Also in regard to Taco Bell – when I heard last year that they were opening Taco Bells in China I could hardly believe my ears.  It was too good to be true – well it turned out to be too good to be true.  The Taco Bells they have opened in China are nothing like the fast food Taco Bells in the US.  They are more like a Chi-Chi’s, or Don Pablo’s – a sit down and order type Mexican restaurant – decent Mexican food for China, but no Taco Bell by any stretch of the imagination.

Note that Taco Bell is part of the Yum! Brands, Inc. company (A&W All American Food, KFC, Long John Silver's, Pizza Hut & Taco Bell) The Thailand franchises are managed out of the Yum! China company. Sad to hear they are implementing the Taco Bell franchise differently in China. It seems it would be better to start off with the fast-food/take-out formula and then migrate it upscale to the sit-down format?

Speaking of Belgian fries, which are indescribably delicous due in part to the two-stage frying technique, can anyone name the number one condiment used on these fries? Well, most natives (same goes for the Netherlands and Germany) I observed lathered on the mayonnaise. I figure this comes from the "What does not kill me makes me stronger", or "Hey, how much worse, for my health, can they be with mayo?" schools of thought?

The deal on those mega-burgers is that if you can finish one, typically in some prescribed time limit, you do not have to pay for it.

For those who might want to understand the "White Castle" experience, check out the film, "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle."

{I was a little disappointed in the local showing of "The Big Lebowski" on Star movies last night as fully half the sound track was missing! The F-bomb was missing! I am curious what the Thai subtitles had for the F-word? And of course there was a mention of "In 'n Out" in the film! A favorite exchange, between the private detective trying to track down Bunny and the Dude,:

Private Det.: Hey, relax man, I'm a brother shamus.

Dude: Brother Shamus? Like an Irish monk?

For me, "The Big Lebowski" is an update (comedic) of "The Big Sleep". There is a real Dude by the way, his name is Jeff Dowd.}

And lastly, what's up with those 'speed-eaters'? Have you ever seen the champions? They're small, and generally thin. Takeru Kobayashi of Japan, the man who's won the annual July 4th Nathan's hot dog eating contest like 5 years in a row (ate 49 hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes), weighs 65 Kg, and the second place finisher, Sonya Thomas, a 37-year-old Korean-born resident of Alexandria, VA (ate 37 hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes) weighs in at a whopping 45 Kg! I see they have these speed-eating contests here (Thailand) on TV, and it seems like this relatively small woman is the perpetual champion. It doesn't matter what the food is, she seems to always win.

p.s. I had the best fried chicken last night. There is a man with a push-cart on my soi, and he has a deep-fat fryer, and he cooks up excellent fried chicken, wings and legs only (faster to cook), and the batter looks to be rice-flour based? Very yummy with a ranch or blue-cheese dip! This cart is extremely popular, all Thai customers, except for me of course. My BMI is probably higher now than the 22.5 it was before I indulged?

What soi is it then? I will be arriving in Bkk in a few weeks and I haven't had good food in three months. Mother of God, man, don't hold out on me! I really, really need deep fried chicken...that isn't massed produced and shipped from half way around the world. I beg of you, if not for me then the children! Where is it at?! : :o

Picture this girl with dark skin and you can imagine what Thai girls will look like in 20 years - well the rich ones that eat that McDonalds and KFC crap.

If you are genuinely concerned about the perils that await the Thai people as a result of their consumption of fast food, and sincerely want to help them, I would suggest that you do something more than search the internet for pictures of overweight women. Maybe you could make signs and go protest in front of a McDonalds or KFC here in Thailand? I imagine that the Thai owners might not appreciate your efforts but don’t let that stop you. You seem to know what's best for them. If your interests are limited to just the pictures you should be aware, if you are not already, that there is a whole genre of adult films dedicated to people who like to watch chubby Americans doin’ it. It would not surprise me to learn that there is a multi-volume set with a title, “Supersize me, Baby”.

And certainly don't try to use some BS pseudo-science you read on some Vegan website to try to contradict the SCIENTIFIC REALITY that humans ARE omnivores and that the vast majority of humanity for its ENTIRE history has been omnivores.

So why does the human being have an appendix?

:o

:o

What is the function of the human appendix? Did it once have a purpose that has since been lost?

Ross Rowland

Great Falls, Va.

Loren G. Martin, professor of physiology at Oklahoma State University:

"For years, the appendix was credited with very little physiological function. We now know, however, that the appendix serves an important role in the fetus and in young adults. Endocrine cells appear in the appendix of the human fetus at around the 11th week of development. These endocrine cells of the fetal appendix have been shown to produce various biogenic amines and peptide hormones, compounds that assist with various biological control (homeostatic) mechanisms. There had been little prior evidence of this or any other role of the appendix in animal research, because the appendix does not exist in domestic mammals.

ADVERTISEMENT (article continues below)

"Among adult humans, the appendix is now thought to be involved primarily in immune functions. Lymphoid tissue begins to accumulate in the appendix shortly after birth and reaches a peak between the second and third decades of life, decreasing rapidly thereafter and practically disappearing after the age of 60. During the early years of development, however, the appendix has been shown to function as a lymphoid organ, assisting with the maturation of B lymphocytes (one variety of white blood cell) and in the production of the class of antibodies known as immunoglobulin A (IgA) antibodies. Researchers have also shown that the appendix is involved in the production of molecules that help to direct the movement of lymphocytes to various other locations in the body.

"In this context, the function of the appendix appears to be to expose white blood cells to the wide variety of antigens, or foreign substances, present in the gastrointestinal tract. Thus, the appendix probably helps to suppress potentially destructive humoral (blood- and lymph-borne) antibody responses while promoting local immunity. The appendix--like the tiny structures called Peyer's patches in other areas of the gastrointestinal tract--takes up antigens from the contents of the intestines and reacts to these contents. This local immune system plays a vital role in the physiological immune response and in the control of food, drug, microbial or viral antigens. The connection between these local immune reactions and inflammatory bowel diseases, as well as autoimmune reactions in which the individual's own tissues are attacked by the immune system, is currently under investigation.

"In the past, the appendix was often routinely removed and discarded during other abdominal surgeries to prevent any possibility of a later attack of appendicitis; the appendix is now spared in case it is needed later for reconstructive surgery if the urinary bladder is removed. In such surgery, a section of the intestine is formed into a replacement bladder, and the appendix is used to re-create a 'sphincter muscle' so that the patient remains continent (able to retain urine). In addition, the appendix has been successfully fashioned into a makeshift replacement for a diseased ureter, allowing urine to flow from the kidneys to the bladder. As a result, the appendix, once regarded as a nonfunctional tissue, is now regarded as an important 'back-up' that can be used in a variety of reconstructive surgical techniques. It is no longer routinely removed and discarded if it is healthy.

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-11-18 22:55:46)

tongue.gif

What is the function of the human appendix? Did it once have a purpose that has since been lost?

Ross Rowland

Great Falls, Va.

Loren G. Martin, professor of physiology at Oklahoma State University:

"For years, the appendix was credited with very little physiological function. We now know, however, that the appendix serves an important role in the fetus and in young adults. Endocrine cells appear in the appendix of the human fetus at around the 11th week of development. These endocrine cells of the fetal appendix have been shown to produce various biogenic amines and peptide hormones, compounds that assist with various biological control (homeostatic) mechanisms. There had been little prior evidence of this or any other role of the appendix in animal research, because the appendix does not exist in domestic mammals.

ADVERTISEMENT (article continues below)

"Among adult humans, the appendix is now thought to be involved primarily in immune functions. Lymphoid tissue begins to accumulate in the appendix shortly after birth and reaches a peak between the second and third decades of life, decreasing rapidly thereafter and practically disappearing after the age of 60. During the early years of development, however, the appendix has been shown to function as a lymphoid organ, assisting with the maturation of B lymphocytes (one variety of white blood cell) and in the production of the class of antibodies known as immunoglobulin A (IgA) antibodies. Researchers have also shown that the appendix is involved in the production of molecules that help to direct the movement of lymphocytes to various other locations in the body.

"In this context, the function of the appendix appears to be to expose white blood cells to the wide variety of antigens, or foreign substances, present in the gastrointestinal tract. Thus, the appendix probably helps to suppress potentially destructive humoral (blood- and lymph-borne) antibody responses while promoting local immunity. The appendix--like the tiny structures called Peyer's patches in other areas of the gastrointestinal tract--takes up antigens from the contents of the intestines and reacts to these contents. This local immune system plays a vital role in the physiological immune response and in the control of food, drug, microbial or viral antigens. The connection between these local immune reactions and inflammatory bowel diseases, as well as autoimmune reactions in which the individual's own tissues are attacked by the immune system, is currently under investigation.

"In the past, the appendix was often routinely removed and discarded during other abdominal surgeries to prevent any possibility of a later attack of appendicitis; the appendix is now spared in case it is needed later for reconstructive surgery if the urinary bladder is removed. In such surgery, a section of the intestine is formed into a replacement bladder, and the appendix is used to re-create a 'sphincter muscle' so that the patient remains continent (able to retain urine). In addition, the appendix has been successfully fashioned into a makeshift replacement for a diseased ureter, allowing urine to flow from the kidneys to the bladder. As a result, the appendix, once regarded as a nonfunctional tissue, is now regarded as an important 'back-up' that can be used in a variety of reconstructive surgical techniques. It is no longer routinely removed and discarded if it is healthy.

Thanks for taking the time to look for that, mate.

Don't believe all you read or hear though.

They will be telling us that we evolved from apes next, which, of course, is nonsense!!

Edited by Neeranam

"Americans are not overweight as a nation, they're just 'big boned'..." :D
Exactly, :o:D,

Actually 30% of the population is overweight, (defined as being 10% over ideal BW), many clinically obese. (+20%).

Hence frivolous lawsuits against fast food franchises, .. you made me fat, you made me unhealthy, yada, it's about personal responsibility.

... all things in moderation ... mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif