We Lived With Floods Before; Why Can't We Do So Again?

webfact

If you don't want to read it then don't, but if you have got the time it is an interesting article.

People are always quick to blame the government or global warming when there is a problem like the floods this year.

But looking at the underlying cultural and historical reasons for the problem is important.

Understanding how Thai people coped in the past is relevant to the problems today, for example, not blocking the flow of water unless it is absolutely necessary.

It certainly isn't just Thailand that has made mistakes in this area. Across the world, including my own country, the UK, people have been building on flood plains, clearing forests and diverting rivers. This doesn't cause floods as such, but it certainly makes the consequences of a flood more serious.

a flood related article, many would be interested to know, how it use to be in the past and what might be future architectural designs.

the guy knows what he is proposing

This article defiantly went over the heads of several posters. It did not purport to solve the problem any more than the many articles that have been written about the problem, Funny those people probably read all the articles that counterdict each other and think that is just the ticket. Amazing Thailand except it is probably expats doing it. LOL :D

It did give some proven examples of being pro active. Not every ones cup of tea I see. Very informative article for some of us.

Not exactly down to the Nations normal standards.

a flood related article, many would be interested to know, how it use to be in the past and what might be future architectural designs.

This article defiantly went over the heads of several posters. It did not purport to solve the problem any more than the many articles that have been written about the problem, Funny those people probably read all the articles that counterdict each other and think that is just the ticket. Amazing Thailand except it is probably expats doing it. LOL :D

It did give some proven examples of being pro active. Not every ones cup of tea I see. Very informative article for some of us.

Not exactly down to the Nations normal standards.

A couple of illustrated historical articles re mid 19th Century Bangkok (attached). A couple of illustrations from each. Could not attach the larger, Venice of the East article.

The website having these has more, similar historical Bangkok/Siam/Thailand articles.

Message me for the URL or Google 'thai laws venice of the east' - don't believe I should post it here.

Enjoy, providing you are not 'flooded out' as one earlier poster put it. :jap:

post-120659-0-91132000-1319705170_thumb.

post-120659-0-05895100-1319705185_thumb.

post-120659-0-50037800-1319705218_thumb.

post-120659-0-27611800-1319705241_thumb.

alongrivertree.pdf

Edited by MaxYakov

I agree, a very interesting read and a refreshing change from the many threads covering more or less the same topics/political point scoring.

Bangkok was once known as the Venice of the East and I for one would like to see a modern day version of that architectural model.

Living with nature as opposed to constantly attempting to fight it, as any homeowner here knows, is an ongoing and futile battle.

There is a substantial plot of land close to my house which is in a basin. The land has always had a very large 'pond'. The landowner has, for at least the past 5 years I have lived here, attempted to fill the pond in order to build a housing development. This year he's to be seen every day with a very large and very old truck heaving truck fulls of dirt into the pond, regardless of the many small rivulets filling it up again. Can you imagine the mess any construction would be after just one monsoon season? This fool doesn't see that. Just the baht he thinks he'll make.

OK I understand that everyone is going nuts now because of the disaster we're in.

But I, for one, like the article. This guy makes a lot of sense. Two or three good ideas there that wouldn't be difficult to adapt.

After this flood is over a lot of money is going to be spent on rehabilitation. When the rebuilding starts up, people should be thinking of a smarter way to do it.

The level of stupidity and the close-mindedness of some posters here is baffling.

I thought the posted article was a good read with useful background information and elements to change people's attitude.

BTW, commenting on an article you haven't even read is like reviewing a camera you don't own. In other words, rubbish.

" am gonna grow fins and go back in the water again "

Captain Beefheart .

I've already lost my fins. I'm going to metastasize and emerge as an amoeba in Texas. Yep, Texas, user friendly to strange lifeforms.

The Topic states:- We Lived With Floods Before; Why Can't We Do So Again?

The vast majority of Thai's today have not lived with a flood this size at all. I think it was some 50 years ago that anything this big hit Thailand and the capitol Bangkok was no way as big as it is now and had no where near the population it has today, let alone all the other cities and villages that have been wiped out and more heartbreak to come. You only have to look at the stress on the peoples faces, the heartbreak and the tears, that includes the Politicians who have also broken down due to the drama of it all.

The article is about 2 things: 1) How to design buildings and communities that are more water flexible; 2) How to deal with water flow (i.e., whether or not to use the strategy emphasizing the blocking water flow).

Both are relevant issues on how Thailand deals annual flooding in the future.

I'm not sure why this article makes you so angry... by your comments it seems that you haven't even read it.

So there's one article that is more conceptual and deals with future planning? The Nation and Thai Visa have dozens of other articles and topics about the current flooding.

No purpose in posting this article, serves no practical purpose at this time. We need facts..not editorial opinions on what to do in 1 years time or longer.

Couldn't disagree more. Now is the perfect time to talk about such things, when it's more in the public consciousness. It's very relevant. Should every single story a paper puts out be about only what's happening with the flooding at this exact moment? Papers do have commentary sections, you know, should they just have no commentary at all on what's happening? If you don't want to read it, don't, but if you had, you would have found some amazing, extremely helpful insights for how Thailand should be better prepared for the future by learning the lessons from the past, with regards to flooding.

Why relevant? So that the current problems with flooding do not have to be repeated. One wonders if when the flooding has subsided if anyone would care would this guy has to say, as obviously the powers that be have mucked everything up and don't seem to care enough. Perhaps there are some smart people in the government who can get these ideas to a larger audience, as they are very relevant solutions to minimize the impact of flooding, even the kind going on right now.

Obviously you saw it wasn't an article about facts but a commentary, so why post at all? Go to the topics that are obvious news reports.