L.P.G. Conversions For Small Engines

Crossy

We have a small (2kVA) portable generator which is currently running a few lights etc during our flood related power outage.

The unit itself is petrol (gasoline) rather than my preferred diesel but since it was acquired cheap by my wife I can't complain. I am however not overly happy with having relatively large quantities of petrol around the house.

This being the case I'm looking for an LPG conversion kit like the ones these chaps sell http://www.propanecarbs.com/ fitting looks a realistic DIY proposition, simple even. LPG is far safer than petrol, keeps forever (petrol can go off if stored long term) and, conveniently, it's cheaper too.

So, has anyone seen these simple kits around BKK? Indication of cost?

• 2 months later...

The Honda generator failed and has now been replaced by a locally made Kwai Thong 5kVA unit (Honda is repaired and provides backup).

I finally got a 'universal' LPG conversion kit from Edge Technology in the UK and got a mate to bring it over. Probably not the cheapest option but had all the bits.

Of course being universal the adaptor needed some adapting and I had to modify the air cleaner to fit but nothing beyond a power drill and some hand tools so we now have a dual-fuel generator smile.png Works like a dream.

Oddly the wife is terrified of it, she'll happily splash gasohol around filling the tank but put an LPG cylinder nearby and she thinks we're all going to blow up. Odd really as our cooking cylinder is right under the stove.

I've always equated LPG with being a very safe fuel, but nothing will change Wifeys mind sad.png

This happened while I was in High School. From the Indianapolis Star archives:

"Oct. 31, 1963, will forever be ingrained in the memory of the people of Indianapolis. That night an explosion ripped through the Indiana State Fairgrounds Coliseum, claiming the lives of 74 people and injuring nearly 400. It was one of the worst tragedies in Indiana history. It was opening night for the Holiday on Ice show, with more than 4,000 spectators on hand.

Propane, being used to keep pre-popped popcorn warm, was leaking from a faulty valve. At 11:04 p.m. an explosion sent bodies flying nearly 60 feet. A second blast took place a few minutes later, caused by heat rising and air rushing into the vacuumized area. The victims were either severely burned or crushed by concrete."

The Honda generator failed and has now been replaced by a locally made Kwai Thong 5kVA unit (Honda is repaired and provides backup).

I finally got a 'universal' LPG conversion kit from Edge Technology in the UK and got a mate to bring it over. Probably not the cheapest option but had all the bits.

Of course being universal the adaptor needed some adapting and I had to modify the air cleaner to fit but nothing beyond a power drill and some hand tools so we now have a dual-fuel generator smile.png Works like a dream.

Oddly the wife is terrified of it, she'll happily splash gasohol around filling the tank but put an LPG cylinder nearby and she thinks we're all going to blow up. Odd really as our cooking cylinder is right under the stove.

I've always equated LPG with being a very safe fuel, but nothing will change Wifeys mind sad.png

My wife is the same. But I bet neither of our wifes have any problem in working through outdoor markets where lots of cooking is occurring...almost all of it with many banged-up LPG cylinders positioned under/next to the stoves.

Use a clear hose and show your wife that LPG is actually a liquid and not gas.

Common misunderstanding.

LPG Liquefied Petroleum Gas, is a Natural gas derived from fossil fuels, when stored under pressure it becomes liquid. Thus the term"Liquefied".The moment the gas is released from it's pressure container,it immediately returns to it's Gas Natural state. The problem with LPG is that it is heavier than air and will flow and pool in low areas undetected until evaporation,or ignition.

To clear up a few misunderstandings on LPG:

When in a storage container LPG has both liquid and gas phases, if in doubt shake one and you can hear/feel the liquid sloshing around. The liquid stays that way due to the pressure in the container. So when some of the gas is drawn off it causes a lower pressure in the cylinder and some of the liquid boils of until a state of equilibrium is reached again. I have seen a demo on video of some LPG in a laboratory glass container boiling when some gas was drawn of, looked exactly like water boiling. So the fuel being delivered is expected to be gas, as such the regulator hoses, injection nozzles are all based on this assumption. If you have ever seen an LPG bottle knocked over when feeding a burner and the resulting burner flareup you will understand the need to keep the bottle in the designed position. I believe the tanks installed in cars have a tube the goes to the top of the cylinder to ensure gas and not liquid is fed to the system.

The average calorific value of LPG is 24.9MJ/Litre and Petrol 32.2MJ/Litre so your petrol has a bit more bang per litre. There are numerous other specifications on both substances however the important difference is: Petrol is a normal atmospheric pressure/temperature (t greater than 15degc) a liquid, so if released will remain a liquid and vaporise at a rate depending on the ambient temperature. LPG at normal atmospheric conditions is a gas and will instantly expand to about 27 times the volume of a liquid. The resulting LPG vapour cloud will continue to expand until it either disperses or explodes. For a large LPG explosions the technical term is BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapaour explosion). There are some good videos via google.

Which is safer, hard to be specific as both have their pros and cons. Basically keep all fuels outside in a well ventilated area and look for signs of rust or rubbing or anything that is likely to allow a fuel leakage on the fuel system. Also LPG is heavier than air so can actually form pools in low points on cold day.

Cheers