Bringing A Dlp Projector Into Thailand, Carry-on?

soibangla

hi all... yet another query for the fora, hope this isn't too OT but this seems the most appropriate forum i think...

i have a NEC LT240 DLP projector that i would really like to take w/ me to Thailand when i head over there in the next couple of month for an extended stay, and am wondering if i will have any problems bringing it w/ me as a piece of carry-on luggage... it is not large by any means, and came w/ a fitted nylon ballistic carrying case that has handles/straps and looks for the most part like a camera bag. i am thinking that if i carry the projector w/ me as my second piece of carry-on luggage that customs probably wouldn't give me any hassle about it (or even notice it), but am not sure...

anyone have an opinion as to whether this would pose a problem for me to carry across the border, assuming they did even look at it? i know projectors fetch pretty high prices in Thailand and it would be great to get mycurrent unit in for theatre enjoyment at my rented flat...

any input would be most welcome, and thx in advance all..!

IMHO

I suggest you will be just fine, IF it's not huge and looks like a camera / laptop bag. I brought DVD player and a digital satellite rx in my checked baggage without difficulty.

BUT

Last time I came through Don Muang (a couple of weeks back) customs were checking bags (first time I've seen that), so who knows.

If you get stopped and they realise what it is, you're here on business, it's for a corporate presentation.

I have brought multiple projectors into the country in carry on.. One worth nearly 12k USD makes flying to japan viable to purchase and avoid duty.

Even if seen you could be using it for a presentation or showing off some slides to friends.. Its not like projectors are a prohibited item.