Bangkok Is In Panic Mood

webfact

Bangkok in a panicking mood

BY LUC CITRINOT, ETN

post-327-0-61083800-1319693859_thumb.jpg

Hua Hin turns into a refugee centre for middle- and upper-class Bangkokians

(Photo: Luc Citrinot)

BANGKOK/HUA HIN (eTN)- In just 24 hours Bangkok's mood has changed from anxiety to panic. After claiming to be on a holy mission to save Bangkok in a previous comment a couple of weeks ago, Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumband finally admitted that flooding will now reach more areas, including the city center.

After Don Muang district, three more districts of the capital will experience heavy flooding which could reach up to two meters, especially for houses massed along the Chao Praya River, water gate sluices and canals.

Bangkok Administration announced that both Sai Mai and Lat Prao districts have to be evacuated. The Royal Palace was last afternoon surrounded by waters following the Statement of his Majesty the King, asking to let waters going through.

Blocking waters around the Royal Palace - located next to the Chao Praya River- would only add to the suffering of local people around as it would provocate a higher level of water. With Don Muang airport remaining closed, refugees will now be accommodated at Suvarnabhumi airport.

The last 24 hours have experienced a complete change in the official speech of both Government and Bangkok Administration. They suddenly admit their failure in controling the billions of cubic metres of waters massed North of the Thai capital The Flood Relief Operation Centre (FROC) just advised Bangkokians to leave the city as soon as possible for the long week-end holiday.

Since yesterday morning, Bangkok is experiencing an exodus of people. Lots of them flee to Pattaya and Hua Hin, two seaside resorts located some two hours drive from the capital. however both resort cities along the Gulf of Thailand also experience shortages for food and drinking water due to the closure of all distribution centers in Ayutthaya, flooded two weeks ago.

As hotels and residences are already packed in Cha Am, Hua Hin and Pattaya, the exodus is likely to move deeper to the South.

Source: http://www.eturbonews.com/26021/bangkok-panicking-mood

-- eturbonews.com 2011-10-27

footer_n.gif

related link: http://huahin.thaivisa.com

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The people in Bangkok have been blind to the obvious from the beginning. Even as the city fills up with water there are people who only just now realise that they might get wet. This has been a certainty for weeks.

...housing refugees at Suvarnabhumi? Amazing Thailand!

If it isn't the Yellow Shirts shutting down an airport, it is dispossed folks bussed there by Yingluck's Gov't in charge?

One thing is certain...Tai politics is never dull. Never ho-hum, never boring.

Western press not controlled by Thaksin is labeling Yingluck as "Thailand's Novice Politician."

Finally, some candor in the matter. Hold the Burberries.

This has been an ignored Humanitarian Disaster since August with the pleas for help from Ayutthaya covered up or ignored.

Now the crows come home to roost.

I had a close friend send me a photo of her house well underwater in Ayutthaya, the roofline barely visible.

In the background and not intentional, was an ocean going frieghter. It had the appearance of pulling in for some somtam bpuu.

Interesting. This thing could spell doom form months and months. Not weeks.

No one is in charge.

Asian face-saving coming head to head with the Force of Nature.

SomNam Naaa

If it isn't the Yellow Shirts shutting down an airport, it is dispossed folks bussed there by Yingluck's Gov't in charge?

Western press not controlled by Thaksin is labeling Yingluck as "Thailand's Novice Politician."

This has been an ignored Humanitarian Disaster since August with the pleas for help from Ayutthaya covered up or ignored.

I had a close friend send me a photo of her house well underwater in Ayutthaya, the roofline barely visible.

In the background and not intentional, was an ocean going frieghter. It had the appearance of pulling in for some somtam bpuu.

No one is in charge.

SomNam Naaa

Western press not controlled by Thaksin?? I have seen Thaksin paranoia, but that takes the cake. Which Western media does he control? Names, citation please.

The people in Bangkok have been blind to the obvious from the beginning. Even as the city fills up with water there are people who only just now realise that they might get wet. This has been a certainty for weeks.

------------------------

Gee, I haven't noticed any Thais...and only a small percentage of farangs that actually live here on a long term basis...that are panicing.

Putting up sandbag barricades, moving valued possesions to the 2nd floor, packing suitcases and waterproof bags with emergency supplies if we have to evacuate, etc. But I call that preparations...not panicing.

And things like the 3 Thai males in my household working for 3 nights voluntarily with the work crews going around the local sois (here in Lad Prao) and helping build barricades and walls for those who can't do it themselves (some are too old and/or feeble to do it themselves)...I don't call that panicing either...I call that preperation also.

And that comment about the people of Bangkok being blind to the reality of flooding is just...male cattle ecretement...

The politicians.... well, that's a different matter. They are not, and never have been, the people of Bangkok.

Don't mistake the politicians for the real people of Bangkok. They are just weekend guests, at the best...and they can be asked (or told) to leave anytime.

:whistling:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Western press not controlled by Thaksin?? I have seen Thaksin paranoia, but that takes the cake. Which Western media does he control? Names, citation please.

Defending 'burgdawg', I think the writer is implying that the western press as a whole was not controlled by Thaksin. Instead of stating that 'parts' of the western press under his influence.

The overall inference of the comment was that the western press was able to report 'freely' without undue influence from the owner of the media.

Edited by David48

Defending 'burgdawg', I think the writer is implying that the western press as a whole was not controlled by Thaksin. Instead of stating that 'parts' of the western press under his influence.

The overall inference of the comment was that the western press was able to report 'freely' without undue influence form the owner of the media.

Robert Murdoch comes to mind. Plus articles offered for free by 'broadminded, concerned citizens' like Robert A.

david 48 had my intention correct.

Qualtrough was in the Twilight Zone, or Nana 2 mutt.

Sure, USA and Euro Sovereigns are corrupt. It is just that that Thaksin Tai version is a comedic soap opera.

Hilarious and all too transparent in his grab for power, dam_n the costs.

A goof like Thaksin makes JP Morgan look civic-minded.

The actual flooding is one thing. Cleaning up the mess, a whole 'nother Chapter and Verse.

This is just the Opening Act....am sure Ayutthay residents are having a good laugh about now.

It is called "just desserts."

I don't see any panic? I live and work in central Bangkok, and what I've seen is steady preparation, with sandbags and floodwalls being built around shops and offices while people get on with their business.

My apartment now has cement sheets attached to the door openings behind a sandbag wall, and overnight some large 10 gallon water containers appeared as if by magic outside each apartment.

I'm English so I can't bring myself to preapre for a flood if the sun is shining, but the Thai's around me seem to be a good example of the 'Keep Calm and Carry On' philosophy.

The overall inference of the comment was that the western press was able to report 'freely' without undue influence from the owner of the media.

That's the crux with democracy and freedom of speech- even people incapable to read or understand information can have their say…wink.gif

Is panic a mood? Thought it must be a misprint, should have read "Panic Mode"

Who lost the map?

nice one typical no order just panic and not a policeman in sight to try and get order bah.gif just like when those idiots see you wanting to turn at a uturn so they put foot down hard flashing theri lights to say get out of way bastard. I often wish I had a tank and then just drive straight in front of them Thailand must have worst most rube motorists anywhere in world

For what it's worth, the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office's on-line Travel Advice has been updated - as follows:

"This advice has been reviewed and reissued with an amendment to the Travel Summary (update to advice and information on floods). The overall level of the advice has changed. We now advise against all but essential travel to the city of Bangkok and the 26 provinces in Thailand affected by flooding. Our advice against all but essential travel to the city of Bangkok does not include transit through Suvarnabhumi international airport. Flights to destinations elsewhere in Thailand (eg the resorts of Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, and Koh Samui) continue to operate normally. We continue to advise against all travel to the Preah Vihear and Ta Krabey/Ta Moan temple areas and against all but essential travel to the provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla".

Which I assume means that, as I am sheduled to arrive next week and was planning to travel into Bangkok in order to continue my overland journey, my travel insurance will not apply (as my trip is not "essential" - define "essential", anyway. The fact that the trip was booked months ago and if I cancel I'll lose my money makes it pretty "essential" from where I'm sitting).

Also, BBC news, in UK, states that "Bangkok residents are fleeing the city - with long queues forming at bus and train stations".

I guess the supply & demand prices will soon be hiked, accordingly (particularly for farangs).:whistling:

I am not what you would call a happy-bunny at the moment.:angry:

No one is in charge.

SomNam Naaa

He missed a couple of commas is all, as in "Western press, not controlled by Thaksin, is labelling... " but I thought the meaning was pretty clear and his comments credible.

Edited by Bpuumike

Is panic a mood? Thought it must be a misprint, should have read "Panic Mode"

Who lost the map?

nice one typical no order just panic and not a policeman in sight to try and get order bah.gif just like when those idiots see you wanting to turn at a uturn so they put foot down hard flashing theri lights to say get out of way bastard. I often wish I had a tank and then just drive straight in front of them Thailand must have worst most rube motorists anywhere in world

But I always remember they're all of the Buddhist faith

There was some confusion about Thailand's main airport closing, which it has not, only the old, smaller, "second" airport, Don Muang. Please note:

BANGKOK'S SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT OPEN AND OPERATING NORMALLY, DON MUEANG AIRPORT CLOSED

Issued at Bangkok at 19:30 (GMT+7) on 26 October 2011

Bangkok is served by two airports. Suvarnabhumi Airport, the main gateway to Thailand with 120 international and domestic airlines, remains open. It is operating normally and handling around 76 flights per hour including all scheduled international arrivals and departures.

Suvarnabhumi Airport is also the main connector for international visitor arrivals to transfer to and from domestic flights serving tourist destinations throughout Thailand such as Phuket, Chiang Mai and Surat Thani. All domestic flights are also operating as per usual.

Don Mueang Airport, the old international airport located about 30 km northeast of Suvarnabhumi Airport, is closed until November 1 st due to flooding . The two domestic airlines operating from Don Mueang, which are Nok Air and Orient Thai Airlines, have temporarily switched their operations to Suvarnabhumi Airport .

And see www.thailandtourismupdate.com for more news and the latest updates.

Thailand has some amazing people handling a disaster situation with grace, caring for each other, and kindness. If you watch any of the Thai TV news showing the people moving their children and only possessions they have in a tub you will still see some smiles and humor. It is Amazing Thailand. They deserve our praise.

For what it's worth, the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office's on-line Travel Advice has been updated - as follows:

"This advice has been reviewed and reissued with an amendment to the Travel Summary (update to advice and information on floods). The overall level of the advice has changed. We now advise against all but essential travel to the city of Bangkok and the 26 provinces in Thailand affected by flooding. Our advice against all but essential travel to the city of Bangkok does not include transit through Suvarnabhumi international airport. Flights to destinations elsewhere in Thailand (eg the resorts of Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, and Koh Samui) continue to operate normally. We continue to advise against all travel to the Preah Vihear and Ta Krabey/Ta Moan temple areas and against all but essential travel to the provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla".

Which I assume means that, as I am sheduled to arrive next week and was planning to travel into Bangkok in order to continue my overland journey, my travel insurance will not apply (as my trip is not "essential" - define "essential", anyway. The fact that the trip was booked months ago and if I cancel I'll lose my money makes it pretty "essential" from where I'm sitting).

Also, BBC news, in UK, states that "Bangkok residents are fleeing the city - with long queues forming at bus and train stations".

I guess the supply & demand prices will soon be hiked, accordingly (particularly for farangs).:whistling:

I am not what you would call a happy-bunny at the moment.:angry:

Check with your insurance company to see what they will and won't cover. Don't make assumptions.

re: panicking

The four women, actually three girls and woman manager, who served me at McD's just now in the heart of BKK were absolutely laughing, giggling, loving life and being Thai (i.e., talking about food).

I guess they didn't get or read the memo where there were supposed to be hiding in the corner.

What a croc articles like this are.

re: panicking

The four women, actually three girls and woman manager, who served me at McD's just now in the heart of BKK were absolutely laughing, giggling, loving life and being Thai (i.e., talking about food).

I guess they didn't get or read the memo where there were supposed to be hiding in the corner.

What a croc articles like this are.

Yes ... totally agree. People still working and making whatever preparations they can in a calm way. Some of our people in the office have flooded homes, and after sorting out what they can, they are back working even after being told they should take time off.

I hear that Soi Cowboy is well prepared (never go there myself ... but if I'd gone there last night I would have seen rows of sandbags outside each bar giving it a strange 'blitz' appearance).:rolleyes:

Keep calm and carry on ..... drinking.