More On O Extention To Stay For Retirement

I have now come to the time when I wish to extend my present tourist visa for a year for retirement (O extention).

I think I have everything pretty well sorted but there are a couple of questions.

I am over 50 so no problem there.

I will use a combination of income and money in my Thai bank account to qualify for the 800KB and have contacted my embassy re a Stat Dec, no problem.

Doing it this way there is no qualifying time I must have money in my Thai bank, correct?

My income is not monthly but in two streams one forghtnightly the other quarterly not all of it pension, I read somewhere that only pension income will be accepted by Thai immigration, is this correct or not?

I also remember someone saying they were told their income (pension) had to be paid into a Thai bank monthly, is this correct? I hope not as I would be very reluctant (like I wouldnt do it) to do this as I get charged both ends each time I transfer.

Will Thai immigration question my income as declared on the Stat Dec?

I also read that Thai Immigration will want some sort of ownership papers or rental agreement as to where I live? if this is correct it will be a problem as I have neither as I live with someone who rents a property from a relation without a rental agreement.

Is there any indication anywhere what exchange rate Thai immigration will use?

I read on a recent thread on the subject that someone was advised to apply a month ahead of expiration time of their visa, this brings the question of how long does it take from application to granting or rejection?

I will apply in BKK as advised, if I can get there.

Thanks in advance. Robby

Here's my take.

1. Using combo method as you are, no bank account money seasoning required.

2. Thai immigration does NOT limit qualifying income to pension monies. I don't know what NZ accepts or demands for their income letter though. Assuming you are a Kiwi. Best ask them!

3. There were reports of a short wave of annoying enforcement for certain nationalities (ones which do not ask for proof for the letter) of demanding to see money import streams for three months. Recently, those reports have stopped. In general, I wouldn't worry much about this, but you never know for sure, as they have the right to demand extra proof of anyone at any time. Sorry can't be more definitive.

4. Immigration probably will NOT question your income letter. But they can if they want, so if possible, be prepared to back it up to them as well.

5. You WILL absolutely need some proof of residence! I would take your landlord out to dinner and cook up something official looking in writing and/or get a utility bill put in your name.

6. You need an O visa first. You can do the two step process all in Bangkok. First change of visa status to O, then the extension. If you are prepared can be done the SAME DAY. Applying 30 days in advance of permission to stay is advisable.

There used to be a rule that change of visa status could not be done for people with less than 21 days left on their permission to stay. I don't know if Bangkok still enforces that way, but why take chances, come in 30 days out.

Edited by Jingthing

I also read that Thai Immigration will want some sort of ownership papers or rental agreement as to where I live? if this is correct it will be a problem as I have neither as I live with someone who rents a property from a relation without a rental agreement.

Assuming your bank account has your current address in its records, have them send you a statement of some sort. This would be acceptable to Immigration, I should think....

Which immigration office will you be using? If up country, you may need two income statements -- one for the conversion, one for the extension 60 days hence (as same-day conversion/extension probably won't be allowed). Getting two income statements on the same day from your embassy may be advisable -- assuming returning to Bangkok for a second income statement is not your cup of tea.

I would contact your immigration office beforehand to ask about their requirements for the combination method.

As much as it pains me to disagree with Jingthing (he is technically correct) the office in Khon Kaen DO require the money in the bank to be seasoned for two months before the date of application. I fell foul of that just two weeks ago when I had transferred the sum required from my UK bank to my Thai bank the week before.

After some grovelling and the fact I was dressed politely helped, I think, I was allowed my visa, but I was warned that next year the money must not fall below the amount required to match my pension income for the 60 days before my next application.

They are wrong in this, but you can't argue with immigration, so check first.

Please. I can't personally know the enforcement variations in every office in Thailand. Who here can claim that? OBVIOUSLY, it behooves everyone to learn the quirks of their particular office.

The OP is using Bangkok anyway. The general rule is that seasoning is only required for those using the 800K bank method, not combo method, and not embassy letter method. It's two months for the first extension and three months for subsequent ones for the bank account method.

Edited by Jingthing

I did it in Korat one time and went in early to see exactly what was required. The officer told me to get a rental agreement and a copy of the house book. I typed up an agreement had the landlord sign it and gave it along with a signed copy of the house book to the same officer six days later when I applied. He gave ithem back to me stateing that they weren't required. I had thye documents but now six days later he didn't need them. I advise getting them, it's better to be safe than have to run arround at the last minute.

Yes they are available online. I'll let someone else direct you to the links or you can search here yourself.

In your case, I think your main area of concern is your proof of address. I think you might have a problem.

I have been able to get hold of a rental agreement by the do it your self method and the landlady will sign. But copy of house book?

Next obsticle is which office to go to. The closest to me is in Lop buri but I dont know if they are A,open or B, if they have ever done this before.

I have seen advice that BKK is the best place to go but I understand there is a slight moisture problem there that, as the river here (upstream) is still up 13 metres, is likely to persist and I have read that they are only open for emergencies.

If all this is true then the next best plave would seem to be Jomtian, any ideas on this.

I have been able to get hold of a rental agreement by the do it your self method and the landlady will sign. But copy of house book?

Next obsticle is which office to go to. The closest to me is in Lop buri but I dont know if they are A,open or B, if they have ever done this before.

I have seen advice that BKK is the best place to go but I understand there is a slight moisture problem there that, as the river here (upstream) is still up 13 metres, is likely to persist and I have read that they are only open for emergencies.

If all this is true then the next best plave would seem to be Jomtian, any ideas on this.

--------------------------------

You must apply in your local district...where you live.

If you don't live in Bangkok, you can't apply there.

So from what you say in your post...I guess it's Lopburi.

Just don't know the answer to the flooding problem.

:rolleyes:

The house book is the registration for the house that you are living in. If the landlord owns the house he/she should have the house book even if he/she doesn't live there. They want a signed copy of the house book to verify the the address on your rental agreement is in fact a registered house and the landlord owns the house. Just another ntrap in the breaucratic rig-a- more-roll.

Yes, you are doing the two step process.

If your home immigration office is not Bangkok, first find out if your local office does change of visa status to O for retirement extension qualified people. If yes, you do the first step locally. If not, you do the first step in Bangkok.

For the second step, the retirement extension, you must do that locally.

I misread at first and thought you lived in Bangkok. Now I see you probably don't. People asking for advice should mention the location of their local office.

It is also possible that your local office may have variant enforcement as mentioned by another posting on the money seasoning requirement for your combo application.

Edited by Jingthing