Double Pricing At Palm Hills Hua Hin...

richard_smith237

Following is an interesting article that says residents of St. Andrews pay 180 GBP annually to play all seven courses in St. Andrews.

Trust announces St Andrews links ticket price rises

By Cheryl Peebles

Published in the Courier : 10.12.10

The St Andrews Links Trust announced "slight increases" after a freeze for the 2010 season.

A full resident ticket allowing play on all seven courses will go up from £170 to £180, while a restricted resident ticket for play on all courses except the Old and Castle will be £105 instead of £100.

Read more here: http://www.thecourie...rice-rises.html

Single round green fees for non-residents on the Old Course from 16 April 2012 through 14 October 2012 are... 150 GBP.

http://www.standrews...ourse-info.aspx

Thailand isn't the only country that has dual pricing.

PS: The first time I played the Old Course it cost me 2.50 GBP. The year was 1976.

St.Andrews is a public golf course.

As someone has already pointed out, there's a difference in providing a discount based on - for instance - a tax paying status. In the case of Thailand it doesn't matter if you're paying tax, you don't get the discount, whereas if a Thai moves to St.Andrews he will. Surely you understand the difference...?

In addition, I sometimes feel the Thai system is reversed; there is no discount for locals but a higher price for farang.

Just as richard, I dont argue or complain. I simply pay what they ask, never to return. I can even afford a smile. As simple as "Sawatdee krub and good bye!"

St.Andrews is a public golf course.

As someone has already pointed out, there's a difference in providing a discount based on - for instance - a tax paying status. In the case of Thailand it doesn't matter if you're paying tax, you don't get the discount, whereas if a Thai moves to St.Andrews he will. Surely you understand the difference...?

In addition, I sometimes feel the Thai system is reversed; there is no discount for locals but a higher price for farang.

Just as richard, I dont argue or complain. I simply pay what they ask, never to return. I can even afford a smile. As simple as "Sawatdee krub and good bye!"

Golly, gee. Is St. Andrews REALLY a public course???? I've played the Old Course only 100 times or so and now you surprise me with this startling revelation. B)

When is double pricing not double pricing?

My last question is rhetorical in nature and does not require a response...sarcastic or otherwise.

If a Thai or a person of any other nationality could show a NZ driving license, or in the alternative example offered, they could show proof that they were a resident of St. Andrews I'm sure they would receive the benefits being offered to 'locals'...

The examples provided are not examples where an excess is being charged to visitors, rather they are examples of discounts for locals on a non-discriminatory basis.

'Horses for courses' some might suggest. But in the examples of Palm Hill's and many other place where 'double pricing' is observed, locals are not offered the discount, foreigners are charged an excess.

The national parks issue has been covered in other threads: It's based on who has paid Tax: Those who show work permits can legally enter on the Thai price, if a Work Permit is rejected, the official at the park entrance does not know the regulations (sometimes a DL works, sometimes not). It is my understanding that National Parks can legally 'double charge' but have to accept a Work Permit (by the way, double charge in this instance doesn't mean charge twice as much, it simply means two tiered pricing).

In answer to Chuckd's rhetorical question which didn't need answering: When is double pricing not double pricing?

.... When the person who is paying does not feel he is being treated unfairly.

Edited by richard_smith237

Golly, gee. Is St. Andrews REALLY a public course???? I've played the Old Course only 100 times or so and now you surprise me with this startling revelation. B)

I mentioned the crucial fact that the Old Course is a public course, but I get the impression you failed completely to figure out why...?

You seem to be basing your opinion on the concept of them charging Thais less simply on skin colour, not that their perceived beliefs are about the financial being of those other than Thais.

I don't believe they charge foreigners more/Thais less because of the colour of their skin, they do it because they perceive foreigners to have more money. As simple as that.

The exact same goes for golf courses in the West. They charge a group of people more than others, based on what they perceive their income to be. No difference.

Do you actually believe that Thai courses charge more simply because you have a difference ethnicity , or because they believe those of your ethnicity generally have a much better financial standing and income?

Surely you don't believe perceived wealth has nothing to do with it? Do you?

A few questions come to mind

1. How do they know you're not Thai?

2. How do they know how much money you have in the bank? or get paid?

3. If you and your billionaire Thai mate Shinawatra Thaksin turned up to play golf would they charge him more than you or less than you?

A few questions come to mind

1. How do they know you're not Thai?

2. How do they know how much money you have in the bank? or get paid?

3. If you and your billionaire Thai mate Shinawatra Thaksin turned up to play golf would they charge him more than you or less than you?

Do you really think these are good points?

• 2 weeks later...