New British Passport From Hk / Uk

Can anyone tell me how long it takes after the application paperwork arrives at Hong Kong, until you receive your passport by DHL back in Thailand from the UK?

When the UK sends your passport, do they email you the DHL tracking number?

Has anyone been through this, yet?

They say 6 weeks.

I applied for one 3 weeks ago, nothing yet.

They say 6 weeks for a first-time passport and 4 weeks for a renewal.

Mine arrived in HK two weeks ago. They have already taken the fee from my credit card (a disgraceful 181 pounds sterling), but, nothing back and no word.

They say 6 weeks for a first-time passport and 4 weeks for a renewal.

Mine arrived in HK two weeks ago. They have already taken the fee from my credit card (a disgraceful 181 pounds sterling), but, nothing back and no word.

Bargain!

I paid 14,200bht up front for birth registration and passport.

The birth registration arrived back in a week.

I received my new passport just over a week ago.

I sent the forms off to Hong Kong via DHL and it arrived just under four weeks later.

Strangely enough I received a separate DHL package containing only a confirmation that my new passport would be sent separately and directly from the UK and a credit card receipt. The day after this confirmation / receipt arrived my new passport arrived.

I sent the forms off to Hong Kong via DHL and it arrived just under four weeks later.

Strangely enough I received a separate DHL package containing only a confirmation that my new passport would be sent separately and directly from the UK and a credit card receipt. The day after this confirmation / receipt arrived my new passport arrived.

Many thanks. Means I don't have to panic just yet.

This new system totally sucks.

It is more expensive and takes far longer than the one week to ten days when you could get a passport from the Bangkok embassy.

I went to Chiang Mai UK consulate office for my passport, missed renewing it there by a week.:annoyed:

Anyway filled forms sent everything required to Hong Kong and got the new passport back in 18 days.

DHL do not deliver to our neck of the woods so it was sent back to Chiang Mai and the lady there sent it on to me by EMS.:)

Edited by Kwasaki

Why do we have to send to China?

This is weirder than outsourcing the help desk to India.

This is the first step in completely moving the renewal process back to the UK. From sometime next year all we will have to do for a normal renewal is send a photocopy of the id page, the renewal form, the payment and a couple of photos to the UK for processing, then they will send the new passport back. This beats a trip to an Embassy any day.

I do wonder how they will continue to justify the much higher price when you renew from overseas as this is 'supposedly' based on the additional costs involved in printing the passports in different places around the world. This old system never made much sense to me.

I have my suspicions that maybe they never really printed them overseas anyway. Why does it take four weeks to process an application and print a passport ? They really need to modernise, to print a standard document like this will take several minutes, the fact that it takes them up to four weeks to process a renewal in this day and age is completely unacceptable.

Once the application is approved it should be printed and mailed back the next day. I'm sure if they wanted to they could do this in less than a week.

The passport offices should be completely overhauled, people should be fired and replaced by an efficient system after all it's not like we're paying a nominal fee for these documents.

Same here. I got 2 envelopes a couple of days apart.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=13.682228,100.644469

The passport offices should be completely overhauled, people should be fired and replaced by an efficient system after all it's not like we're paying a nominal fee for these documents.

How dare you mention effciency in relation to a goverment department....shame on you, do you actually think they are there to provide customer service...:D

Hi, I'm new on here, could anyone please supply links for the procedure to be followed when renewing a British passport ?

Mine is due next year, and I live in Northern Thailand, and only go to Bangkok for medical check-ups. My next one is due in January 2012, and I was hoping to send off the passport forms, fees etc, while I was there.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Hi, I'm new on here, could anyone please supply links for the procedure to be followed when renewing a British passport ?

Mine is due next year, and I live in Northern Thailand, and only go to Bangkok for medical check-ups. My next one is due in January 2012, and I was hoping to send off the passport forms, fees etc, while I was there.

If you Google "British Embassy Bangkok Thailand" this will give you

the embassy website with a link to "passports" on the top right of the

homepage and procedure for renewal. Note you can renew a passport up

to nine months ahead of expiry, remaining time is added to your new

passport, important if you plan to exit Thailand in the next few months

as remember you need six months validity on your pasport when

re-entering the kingdom

The UK end don't issue a DHL tracking number, but the Bangkok embassy can get hold of it for you.

Is that what you did?

Did you call them up, or, ask them via email?

I emailed the consular enquiries address, they got the tracking number for me in about 24 hours.

If you Google "British Embassy Bangkok Thailand" this will give you

the embassy website with a link to "passports" on the top right of the

homepage and procedure for renewal. Note you can renew a passport up

to nine months ahead of expiry, remaining time is added to your new

passport, important if you plan to exit Thailand in the next few months

as remember you need six months validity on your pasport when

re-entering the kingdom

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.