Flooded Bangkok's Defences Hold

webfact

Im sure you lot r taking the piss. The mass amount of water hasnt even reached bkk yet. has it?

if it has its all been a false alarm then. Jeez i was worried there for a minute.

Best i get everything downstairs again and go and pick my kids up.

The mass of water is not the immediate concern. It's the high tides that would prevent draining into the Gulf. If the defences hold up over the weekend, then the backlog of water can continue to be let out. If this happens, kudos to the Government. Great move to invoke the disaster law. put the Governor in his place and take over the control of Bangkok's waterways.

Really. Can you let me know what has been done that he wasn't already doing?

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand (reading the threads here), he was resisting the current measures (ie letting Bangkok be partially flooded in certain areas) and as such, prolonging the suffering of those living further up north.

There may or may not have been political reasons for that. If there were, then he would have brought his party into disrepute. If there weren't, then he may well have overstepped his mark by protecting his constituency at the expense of others.

I understood that by invoking the disaster law, the relevant agencies (irrigation etc) could then finally look at the big picture and implement measures that are best for all, rather than just a select few.

Spot on !!!

Thank you.

(One Gwielo to another)

Edited by philw

I am curious as to why there is dismay at the decision to declare a "disaster" and invoke the applicable law, but the same people denouncing the decision are the ones that were demanding a State of Emergency that would have granted similar powers, but with a suspension of some civil rights, to the military? What is the logic? Why is it wrong for a civilan elected government to act under the law, but "right" for the military to be given absolute power?

The mass of water is not the immediate concern. It's the high tides that would prevent draining into the Gulf. If the defences hold up over the weekend, then the backlog of water can continue to be let out. If this happens, kudos to the Government. Great move to invoke the disaster law. put the Governor in his place and take over the control of Bangkok's waterways.

The mass of water is an immediate concern. Ask anyone who has a few meters of it preventing access to his/her house. The only extra problem high tides create is to block the run off from running off. Even without that block it will still take a month (or two?) to have all excess water drained off and a month to dry up :ermm:

Yes, the mass of water is of concern, though I was referring to the next 24/48 hours, especially for Bangkok residents. Once we get over this period, the next (immediate) concern will of course be the mass of water north of Bangkok.

My heart goes out to those whose houses are currently submerged in water. However, they are probably counting in days and weeks as to when they can return home, rather than in hours. When the high tide is (eventually) behind us, then water can continue to be released (hopefully at a controlled rate, and resulting in 50 cm deep as opposed to 1 m or 2 m deep floods.I could live with 50 cm deep water for a month as opposed to 2 m deep water for a day.

Just to repeat, the mass of water is an immediate concern. You may rather have 50cm for a month, but some already have a meter for weeks and probably will stay with it for another few weeks. Some out there will have water running through the living room for MONTHS. Unless you have experienced that don't even try to be superfluously sympathetic :angry:

Hooray for the people who designed the Bangkok system of flood control!

It may not be the best it could have been but clearly somebody with a brain did a fairly good job.

But of course it was NOT the current PM.

She handled the floods from start until it reached Bangkok. She could not have done worse.

THEN took control of the existing defenses.

That can hardly be called her work.

She just seized somebody else's job and working system.

She gets credit for everything from the mountains up to the border of Bangkok.

It is not going to be easy for the current gang to spin this to their advantage but I know some of their spin doctors and strategic communications consultants they hire and they are plenty smart so ... I do NOT assume the PM cannot turn the situation around -- at least in the minds of simpletons.

And if you have enough of them, and they have a vote, who knows what type of madness could lie ahead.

The democrats are no angels but at least their leaders have brains.

Their policies may not be that great, but they didn't do anything idiotic.

I don't care what party the governor of Bangkok currently belongs.

He has an IQ over 100. He kept calm. He kept it simple for all us. He earned his salary. He kept the theatrics to a minimum.

In the past, I held his privileged upbringing against him but I was mistaken.

He has proven he deserved the votes of Bangkok's residents and I hope they keep him in there for awhile longer.

Bangkok may be safe but the suburbs are pretty much waterworld.

Pathum, nonthaburi, minburi, even thonburi are at a dead stop.

Can't go to work, buy food, some don't even have a place to sleep anymore.

Inner Bangkok is bone dry while most of the work force and industry are located in the now underwater world.

What is the bigger threat? The high tide or the water up north?

Maybe the Prime Minister deserves a bit of praise at this point ??

Perhaps her hard efforts are starting to pay off ??

You want her to get praise for the previously built defenses? Alright...as long as we then can blame her if any of them fails... :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand (reading the threads here), he was resisting the current measures (ie letting Bangkok be partially flooded in certain areas) and as such, prolonging the suffering of those living further up north.

There may or may not have been political reasons for that. If there were, then he would have brought his party into disrepute. If there weren't, then he may well have overstepped his mark by protecting his constituency at the expense of others.

I understood that by invoking the disaster law, the relevant agencies (irrigation etc) could then finally look at the big picture and implement measures that are best for all, rather than just a select few.

The only flaw with your post of praise is that the Government doesn't seem to be doing anything differently from the Governor...

Off topic and insulting post and responses to that post removed. If you cannot disagree with someone without resorting to childish insults then I would highly recommend you refrain from posting completely

The worst is yet to come

What happens when the water is gone

Lots of people lost everything ... their house .. their jobs ...ce the water is gon

You know once the water is gone the media will move on to the next story ..

Who will take care of these people ? Thaksin ? Yingluck ? .... who ?

Cry me a river. No pun intended. These people have been taking care of themselves since the beginning of time. The gov't has never been a great source of comfort. You, from western civilization apparently have no idea what these people are capable of. Not only will they survive, they will be stronger and you, 'chicken little' will be just wasting your breath.

In case you did not know, Thailand is a third world country. I like it here. I am not very sympathetic for you whinging attitude. I like it where children are not forced to dress up in armor to ride a bicycle. I like it where mistakes driving a car are taken as such. I like much more about this country than any other country I can think of and I have been to many. So many in fact, it would probably make your little head swim.

Edited by Gonsalviz

At last a bit of potential good news for the country, Bangkok and the government.

The TVF response after 2,661 views is about 12 inane posts.

Maybe the Prime Minister deserves a bit of praise at this point ??

Perhaps her hard efforts are starting to pay off ??

Some posters on here are going to love it when she, or her party, win the next election.

And, BTW, a red shirt is not defined as someone who disagrees with you.

I have no blame for the PM and she is doing the best job they (her cabinet) allow her to do but she is irrelevant and not in charge. The problem is, no one is in charge; not even Dr. T. Everyone in the government is a law unto himself and takes responsibilities no one delegated to them. If Dr. T were here, they would 'snap to' and perform in a responsible way but Dr. T is not here and the inmates are running the asylum. I wish Ms. Yingluck every success dealing with this disaster because her success is Thailand's gain and every failure (they are not her fault) is Thailand's loss. I wish Ms. Yingluck truely had the power to sack some of the clowns who have inserted their personalities into the situation for their own personal aggrandisement; then she would have my and many other's admiration and gratitude.

Just to repeat, the mass of water is an immediate concern. You may rather have 50cm for a month, but some already have a meter for weeks and probably will stay with it for another few weeks. Some out there will have water running through the living room for MONTHS. Unless you have experienced that don't even try to be superfluously sympathetic :angry:

Correct.

And please mind that flooding is NOT something pleasant like you have now at your dry house plus some water on the floor. Imagine the reality:

1. First thing you'll notice is tap water shortage, when floodwater comes to pumps at your g-floor. READ: no shower, NO toilet wash, NO drinking water (even if you have purifier).

2. Second thing is electricity: it will be off. Don't believe those officials from BMA said that the electricity will stay - they have no idea what are they talking about. The first second floodwater lick the someone's plugs (those might be not your ones - but any Somchai's ones at the g-floor, or just a old cable with damaged isolation somewhere on the ground) - will be the second where main breakers will switch your building off. And they can't be turn ON while the shortcut is still there. READ: no lights, NO aircon, NO computer/internet, NO waterpump (if you have private house), NO charging for mobiles/notebooks - you'll be unable to make even emergency call!!! And you can't even run to your neighbours as they'll have very same situation...

3. The floodwater coming is not a clean water as at your nearest swimming pool. The coming one is a BAD water, full of BS. Completely black in color (seems like someone just mixed the charcoal powder in the water). It has bad smell, itchy when touching your skin, and has some chemicals dissolved on it (it has passed NavaNakorn ind.est., don't forget). You can't drink this liquid even after long boiling.

4. The water comes fast. SO fast. And the first entry to your house it will make NOT through your frontdoors barricaded with hundreds of sandbags - no....it will strike you from behind: from your toilet/bathroom (and all your recent shit wil flow to your corridor, BTW). Remember those water holes at the floor? Keep your eyes on'em.

The water can reach 1.5m deep just within 30min, as it was on my house.

5. And there will be NO food for you - NO common Lotus/BigC shoppings (no elecric for them -> closed), NO 7/11, NO local markets (submerged) and NO even mama/papa shops and/or walking vendors. NOONE. But you'll be able to have fishing at your g/floor, and make some fries if you have gas tank and portable gas stove....Have you? ;)

5. And THEN there will be night. Dark night with NO aircon, NO elecric, NO water, NO toilets, NO TV/internet/bashing th govt here at thaivisa, VERY hot and VERY humid night, and only strange sounds "Blurrrppp......blurrrrrrp...." will be heard in the dark. And there will be the very looooong night for you, believe me....And there will be other ones....

AND NO COLD BEER to cover the stress!!!!!!!!! :(

Greets from 1.5m sinked Pathumthani (ohh, dried as a bone Thonburi - as I abandoned my house yesterday due to all said above). I stand that for more than a week, but finally my wife got mad about this all. I can stand waters (as I have trainings while in da army), but I can't stand furyous girl longer than an hour... :)

I have no blame for the PM and she is doing the best job they (her cabinet) allow her to do but she is irrelevant and not in charge. The problem is, no one is in charge; not even Dr. T. Everyone in the government is a law unto himself and takes responsibilities no one delegated to them. If Dr. T were here, they would 'snap to' and perform in a responsible way but Dr. T is not here and the inmates are running the asylum. I wish Ms. Yingluck every success dealing with this disaster because her success is Thailand's gain and every failure (they are not her fault) is Thailand's loss. I wish Ms. Yingluck truely had the power to sack some of the clowns who have inserted their personalities into the situation for their own personal aggrandisement; then she would have my and many other's admiration and gratitude.

The PM is in charge of the country AND the flood relief operation. Unless she does get rid of, or at least name, the people that are stopping her from doing her job, then it is her that is responsible for it.

If heads don't roll, then she is taking responsibility for it.

Im sure you lot r taking the piss. The mass amount of water hasnt even reached bkk yet. has it?

if it has its all been a false alarm then. Jeez i was worried there for a minute.

Best i get everything downstairs again and go and pick my kids up.

Really. Can you let me know what has been done that he wasn't already doing?

the canals IN BKK are for city drainage and have to be pumped out to sea to remove water, or the flood gates to the North can be opened to the river if it is low. During heavy rain periods

the pumps are at full capacity.

When the rain stopped/slowed, BMA partially opened the flood gates to allow in as much water as the pumps could remove. There was absolutely no point in opening them further and flooding large urban/suburban areas - the pumps can't pump any more and there is nowhere for it to flow to. Since FROC "took over" exactly the same policy has been followed.

the canals IN BKK are for city drainage and have to be pumped out to sea to remove water, or the flood gates to the North can be opened to the river if it is low. During heavy rain periods

the pumps are at full capacity.

When the rain stopped/slowed, BMA partially opened the flood gates to allow in as much water as the pumps could remove. There was absolutely no point in opening them further and flooding large urban/suburban areas - the pumps can't pump any more and there is nowhere for it to flow to. Since FROC "took over" exactly the same policy has been followed.

That was exactly as being happened NOW in DonMueang/SaiNoi area. The gates were just opened in full - w/o any control.

"Absolutely no point", yeah....say it to those being affected (incl.me myself).

Edited by alexakap