Is Bangkok Gonna Sink Soon

veryruay

As londonthai alludes to... Bangkok has been sinking since the late 1960s. It's a combination of many factors, most importantly the depletion of aquifers (ground water, used for residential, industrial uses, etc) coupled with substantial increases in the size of the built environment (exerting downward pressure). Various estimates by the World Bank among others, suggested that on average, land in Bangkok subsides by 2-5 centimeters per year.

You can clearly see how land subsides in Bangkok, it's a fact of life widely accepted. One of my friends owns a house in the south of Bangkok (well his Thai wife owns it) and you can see on the outside of the house the discoloration that shows the levels the soil used to be at compared with where it is now - it's like reading tree rings to tell the age of the property. He just gets more sand and soil delivered to recreate the garden periodically.Oh, and of course he has to buy more grass seed every years as the garden usually gets flooded out (from rain usually, not floods).

part of the plate from bangkok to ayuthaya has sunk this year. That's on top of the usual several cm due to underground water being pumped up.

bangkok won't be submerged, there would be preventative measures

looking forward for water front property :rolleyes:

Yes. It will be much worse by next year. The water is not the only disaster to affect Thai people. Political fighting, repairing the infrastructure, repairing personal property and automobiles damaged by floods, etc. etc.

For those that say, no proof, follow the trends.

You can clearly see how land subsides in Bangkok, it's a fact of life widely accepted. One of my friends owns a house in the south of Bangkok (well his Thai wife owns it) and you can see on the outside of the house the discoloration that shows the levels the soil used to be at compared with where it is now - it's like reading tree rings to tell the age of the property. He just gets more sand and soil delivered to recreate the garden periodically.Oh, and of course he has to buy more grass seed every years as the garden usually gets flooded out (from rain usually, not floods).

What you describe sounds like soil erosion, not sinking. If the property is sinking, the land and the house on top of it would both be sinking at the same rate, so there would not be the "tree ring" effect.

What you describe sounds like soil erosion, not sinking. If the property is sinking, the land and the house on top of it would both be sinking at the same rate, so there would not be the "tree ring" effect.

Yes, it sounds more like the soil is being washed away. If the house was sinking, then surely the soil would be rising in relation to the house.

Edited by w11guy

I remember reading an article within the past year..it was an interview with this professor from one of the BKK universities..and his estimates that BKK will be totally submerged within the next 10-20 years....I can see it happening with all the climate changes coupled with the over development mess......The "2012 catastrophe" that many people believe in outlined a map of what they believe will be the "new world"..and if you look at Thailand...everything south of (appprox) Korat will be completely gone

I remember reading an article within the past year..it was an interview with this professor from one of the BKK universities..and his estimates that BKK will be totally submerged within the next 10-20 years....I can see it happening with all the climate changes coupled with the over development mess......The "2012 catastrophe" that many people believe in outlined a map of what they believe will be the "new world"..and if you look at Thailand...everything south of (appprox) Korat will be completely gone

i cant find them, but i did post in the bangkok forum this month a wikileaks cable released from the US embassey , which stated bangkok would be underwater by 2025 ish, and they should be making measures,

i will try to find this cable again

Various estimates by the World Bank among others, suggested that on average, land in Bangkok subsides by 2-5 centimeters per year.

Also... (copy/paste from Wikipedia)

Global average sea level rose at an average rate of around 1.8 mm per year over 1961 to 2003 and at an average rate of about 3.1 mm per year from 1993 to 2003.[/url] It is unclear whether or not the increased rate observed between 1993 and 2003 reflects an increase in the underlying long-term trend.