Retirement Visa

I just completed process in Bangkok for my retirement visa. I neglected to ask a few questions, hopefully someone can answer for me:

1. With retirement visa I assume I still must check in every 3 months, I can't remember the time frame, is it no earlier than one week before, no later than one week after the 3 mo?

2. With retirement visa, can I leave the country unlimited amount of times throughout the year without getting any other stamps or any other paperwork?

3. I obtained the retirement visa in Bangkok, is that where I must go each 3 mo, or can I go to any immigration office, specifically Chiang Mai?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1) Correct, you must report your address every 90 days give or take 7 days

2)If you plan to leave the country you need a re-entry permit to keep your retirement extension alive, single entry 1000 baht multi entry 3600 (not too sure on the price) failure to get this permit would result in your extension being cancelled when you return and you would have to start the whole process again.

3) You normally do your 90 day report in the area you live , not sure how it works if you get an extension in one area then move to live in another.

There are other more qualified people on the forum who may confirm the above.

1: as said every 90 days, not 3 months adn up to 15 days before or 1 week after. You can also report by mail, but must make sure the reprot arrives before the due date.

2. As said, you will need a re-entry permit. If you leave the country, the 90 day clock would be reset. You would report 90 days after you return to Thailand.

3. You go to the office for the area you live. As said, you can report by mail.

Just remember if you report by mail to do it EMS (signed for) and keep the receipt just in case, as it will prove you sent it in good time for processing should it get lost along the way.

Edited by CharlieH

Her is the 90 day report mailin procedure copied from the immigration website;

Notification by registered mail

1. Copy of all passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)
  2. Copy of arrival/departure card TM.6 (front and back)
  3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any)
  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47
  5. Envelope with 5 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
  6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.
    Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to 90 DAYS REGISTRATION,
    IMMIGRATION DIVISION 1 120 MOO 3, CHAENGWATTANA ROAD,SOI 7,
    LAKSI, BANGKOK. 10210

Some of the offices tell you that you have to come into the office but this says that you don't and I've used it in the past.

When In was working in Pak Chong, they moved the Korat office to Chok Chai. They said that I had to report evry 90 days in person. I continued to send it to Bangkok and continued to get the 90 day cert returned by mail?

That address is only for Bangkok residents. Others must use there extension office and not all accept mail. Also stamp should be 10 baht these days I believe.

It used to be Bangkok handled all mail reporting - but that changed after all provinces got local or joint immigration offices (but it was not immediate enforcement) so by this time Bangkok should not be serving outside there area and believe those that continued to use have received return with instructions to cease.

1: as said every 90 days, not 3 months adn up to 15 days before or 1 week after. You can also report by mail, but must make sure the reprot arrives before the due date.

2. As said, you will need a re-entry permit. If you leave the country, the 90 day clock would be reset. You would report 90 days after you return to Thailand.

I was told by immigration people that no re-entry permit is necessary IF one has a multiple-entry OA retirement visa. I think that's the point of "multiple-entry".

I have had a Ret visa for 4 years. I have always needed to get a re-entry permit. It's a separate money-spinner.

It is worth getting the 3800 Multi, because you can come and go without worrying. By all means get the single (1000) but you will have to renew every time you want to fly out.

I did see that the new airport (Swampy) has a re-entry permit desk again, although it looks like my kitchen table. It was withdrawn before, but obviously they have seen the need again.

Eddy

I was told by immigration people that no re-entry permit is necessary IF one has a multiple-entry OA retirement visa. I think that's the point of "multiple-entry".

That is true but poster (and indeed most people) is not talking about a non immigrant O-A visa obtained from a Thai Consulate in his home country but about an extension of stay obtained in Thailand for retirement and there is no such thing a multi entry. A re-entry permit or a multi re-entry perit will be required to keep the current one year stay alive if travel is made.