Price Of Notebooks

KKvampire

Who has noticed how the price of notebook.laptop PCs are reducing in Thailand. maybe because of the current fashion for Pads but there are some good bargains out there for anyone needing to get a new Notebook and not want to be part of the craze for pads. It does make you think though how the profit margin on PC notebooks was inflated for many years.

I continue this thread instead of starting another.

Looking for a note book, well for the misses, So many I have seen, do not have a operating system on them. All of my 6 personal laptops I have bought in Australia had a legal windows on them.

What is the go with that? Every shop I have looked in, I have been told, no problem, get a copy or they can put a copy on for a 200 - 1000 baht "tip". This is a operating system for goodnes sake. I am not anti torents etc, using a cracked program is one thing, but only asking for trouble with windows. Why don't brand name laptops in Thailand come with a legal Windows form the factory?

Also, Of the stores I have looked in, when told,I will ONLY buy a laptop that is still in a sealed box, well, that was another issue. Every box is opened and every computer inspected by the staff to make sure it works ok, I am highly suspect they checked the checklist of installing key-loggers etc as well.

I am not looking to be scaby, I am looking in the 25,000b price range.

I am so pissed off of my experience in the Thailand laptop shopping experience, I have come to the conclusion to just get a laptop in oz on my next trip or in Singapore, I under no advantage in Singapore price wise.

I feel totally frustrated, any suggestions of a "normal" place to go.smile.gif

I can go to Bangkok no prop, and can go for an "adventure" to Pattaya region if there is a good store there.

jap.gif

Edited by haveaniceday

I continue this thread instead of starting another.

Looking for a note book, well for the misses, So many I have seen, do not have a operating system on them. All of my 6 personal laptops I have bought in Australia had a legal windows on them.

What is the go with that? Every shop I have looked in, I have been told, no problem, get a copy or they can put a copy on for a 200 - 1000 baht "tip". This is a operating system for goodnes sake. I am not anti torents etc, using a cracked program is one thing, but only asking for trouble with windows. Why don't brand name laptops in Thailand come with a legal Windows form the factory?

Also, Of the stores I have looked in, when told,I will ONLY buy a laptop that is still in a sealed box, well, that was another issue. Every box is opened and every computer inspected by the staff to make sure it works ok, I am highly suspect they checked the checklist of installing key-loggers etc as well.

I am not looking to be scaby, I am looking in the 25,000b price range.

I am so pissed off of my experience in the Thailand laptop shopping experience, I have come to the conclusion to just get a laptop in oz on my next trip or in Singapore, I under no advantage in Singapore price wise.

I feel totally frustrated, any suggestions of a "normal" place to go.smile.gif

I can go to Bangkok no prop, and can go for an "adventure" to Pattaya region if there is a good store there.

jap.gif

You'll be hard pushed to find ANYONE that will supply what you ask, it just doesnt happen here because for a genuine OEM windows costs money and Thais wont pay it, and why, because there are millions of copies, its the land of counterfeit and copy. The Thais would never pay for one pre-installed they would prefer to spend less for the machine and add their own and the market reflects that.

As for the box open etc , again this is Thailand, most places will only give you a 7 day guarantee too....hahaha....they check its working when you buy and thats about it, back-up and support is pretty poor even if it does exist.

You can buy a legit copy of windows and install yourself here but now you know why the machines appear to be lower priced, in reality they are not that much cheaper, my advice buy in Singapore but make sure you unpack it and it looks to be already in use etc or you will get hit hard at customs for import duty.

most places will only give you a 7 day guarantee too....hahaha....

<snip>

my advice buy in Singapore but make sure you unpack it and it looks to be already in use etc or you will get hit hard at customs for import duty.

Don't know where you got that info as they are normally 1 year manufacturer warrantied. I also paid a small premium to extend it to 3 years for all the ones I bought for the office.

If you get one in Singapore you will have similar problems and need to be sure it is covered under world wide warranty.

Well word wide warranties are not worth crap in Thailand.

I bought a ASUS in early 2011 in Australia, I chose ASUS because of the world wide warranty, over a 10 week period and the computer had 3 trip to Bangkok to ASUS Thailand service center, and the exact same issues were there after they "fixed it".

That was the excuse for a unplanned trip back top Australia, the technition in Australia rang me to ask a couple of questions. She rang back about an hour later to tell me it is not worth try to fix and a new one is in order and a few questions about making arrangements for that to happen, also about backing up data on the old machine that Bangkok ASUS returned to me 3 times saying all good. She was actually very good, and I quote her, she said, "It's a lemon, you were just unlucky". I do understand that with machinery, shit happens.

But it proved to me that the Intl warranty is useless in Thailand. I wonder if it is a loss of face thing it the person fixing it can't ?

My latest experience to buy one here, echos my laptop experience in Thailand.

Re customs, I believe, all you have to do is make sure it is not in it's box, and not look like a new machine. I get what you mean though.

Thanks for your input.

most places will only give you a 7 day guarantee too....hahaha....

<snip>

my advice buy in Singapore but make sure you unpack it and it looks to be already in use etc or you will get hit hard at customs for import duty.

Don't know where you got that info as they are normally 1 year manufacturer warrantied. I also paid a small premium to extend it to 3 years for all the ones I bought for the office.

If you get one in Singapore you will have similar problems and need to be sure it is covered under world wide warranty.

Where dd I get that from, personal experience, they will tell you anything to sell it, but you try actually using the warranty and see what happens, delays and promises always broken.

as said not worth a crap in Thailand. If you paid more to extend it, then based on my experience you have thrown the money away. Hope you get a better experience than I did in reality. You'll probably be told the "we have to send it to....xyz, will be back about 3 months.....or did you want to buy another one?

Edited by CharlieH

So can anyone recommend a store that has a operating system pre loaded that I can buy a comp out of a sealed box?

In Thailand.

Any of the major suppliers in Bangkok, if they arent closed due to floods. Pantip, It City , Zeers Or better still, Go to Tesco Lotus or Makro good prices 10-15k Bht, and make sure the price they show includes the 7% Tax. Just look around. Make sure you get a good warranty and there is a service centre in Thailand if you are living here, some have some dont, DELL and ASUS service is crap in Thailand but Samsung is OK

Edited by KKvampire

There are plenty of laptops that come with genuine Windows already installed but not usually the cheaper models for reasons detailed in #6.

Save yourself a headache and buy in Singapore or Australia as going by your comments you will be dissatisfied purchasing the Thai way.

The Singapore warranty on laptops may be limited to SE Asia (includes Thailand) but ring head office to confirm.

btw, the 'tip' a Thai would pay is usually 200 baht... 1500 baht gets you genuine Windows starter so 1000, no way.