PM Yingluck Hopeful But Bangkok Governor Fears A Second Wave

webfact

PM hopeful but governor fears a second wave

The Nation

30168958-01.jpg

The prime minister and the Bangkok governor offered differing views of the flood situation yesterday.

The premier said a critical mass of water had already been diverted away from the capital, while the governor feared another 'wave' would hit the western part of the city.

"I have never said there would be no more water in Bangkok, but the massive surge of billions of cubic metres from the North was diverted through canals in the eastern part of the capital," Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told reporters.

City Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra, meanwhile, said he did not believe information from the government-run Flood Relief Operations Command (FROC) indicating that the flow of water from the North was slowing.

The governor said the most critical locations were Don Muang and Lak Si, where water levels were rising yesterday.

Levels in the west of the city were also rising and needed close surveillance, he said.

Water in Thon Buri, Bang Plad, Thawee Wattana and Taling Chan remained high. Bang Khae was critical. Many main roads in western Bangkok such as Uttayan, Charan Sanitwong, Boromrajchonnee, Kanchanapisek, Suan Pak and Putthamonthon 1 and 3 were inundated.

The problem was the drain system in the west was not as good as in eastern Bangkok, he said. Western Bangkok got water from Nonthaburi's Bang Kruay and Nakhon Pathom, he said.

"I will not cry 'crisis' where there is no crisis, but nor can I say the disaster is over, either, as long as Don Muang, Bang Plad and Thawee Wattana are inundated," Sukhumbhand said.

Yingluck said it was difficult to push water from the western part of the capital out to sea, as canals in the area mostly ran parallel to the coast.

However, the flood situation in Bangkok wasn't as severe as in other provinces. "We have not allowed all the water to surge into Bangkok at once," she said.

"May I offer my sympathy to all parts of society, including people in Bangkok's suburbs [and adjacent areas] such as Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Ayutthaya," Yingluck said.

The situation at many industrial parks such as Rojana and Nava Nakhon would improve within two weeks of the water in eastern Bangkok flowing out to sea, she said.

The government would spend at least three months rehabilitating flood-damaged areas, she said, adding that state and private banks would prepare over Bt300 billion in loans for victims of the floods. These include business owners, the industrial sector and citizens who need to rebuild or repair businesses or homes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-01

"May I offer my sympathy to all parts of society, including people in Bangkok's suburbs [and adjacent areas] such as Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Ayutthaya," Yingluck said.

....and the band launches into ' Sometimes it's hard to be a woman'.

As a female I have to say at this point any lady soup stall vendor on the street would be better placed to organise a bit of actual help to 'society' than this princess drippy dope.

As a female I have to say at this point any lady soup stall vendor on the street would be better placed to organise a bit of actual help to 'society' than this princess drippy dope.

+ 1

+ 1

+ 2. But don't forget who put her in this job, the grand selfish puppeteer, who dumped his totally unprepared sister into this job (his clone) and then surrounded her with a gang of incapable insincere cronies, then surrounded the incapable with the grossly incapable red thugs.

Be disappointed with her, but me much more angry with the puppeteer who is now strangely quite, but I guess he's too busy with blood diamonds, and organizing stickers for lunch boxes donated by others.

By the way, anybody heard about the delivery date of the big pumps he ordered (weeks too late) from Korea?

+3

That's the best she can do, offer sympathy?

Nevermind they transferred Pirasak Hinmuangkao, democratically elected Goverenor of Phathumthani, and replaced him with one of their own, Kachornsak Singtokul, behind the people's backs. Kachornsak Singtokul will kowtow to what the party wants, and that's to keep as much water as possible in these areas until who knows when. I cannot help but notice Yingluck and her henchmen have given no time frames at all when any of that water will be released. Personally, I am starting to believe they are totally clueless what to do and are buying time at the peoples expense in the provinces.

Sympathy means nothing at all.

Edited by frodo

Nevermind they transferred Pirasak Hinmuangkao, democratically elected Goverenor of Phathumthani, and replaced him with one of their own, Kachornsak Singtokul, behind the people's backs. Kachornsak Singtokul will kowtow to what the party wants, and that's to keep as much water as possible in these areas until who knows when. I cannot help but notice Yingluck and her henchmen have given no time frames at all when any of that water will be released. Personally, I am starting to believe they are totally clueless what to do and are buying time at the peoples expense in the provinces.

Only the governor of Bangkok is elected. All the other governors are appointed by the central government.

+ 1

+2

"The governor said the most critical locations were Don Muang and Lak Si, where water levels were rising yesterday."

Just considering the fact that Don Muang lies in the north, doesn't that mean the flood is rising? I might be wrong as I'm not a meteorologist or a frog. Here's the new tourist attraction, driven by Ms. Ying..............jap.gif

post-108180-0-67191000-1320123064_thumb.

....... for some reason the sixties singer Sandie Shaw comes to mind. Maybe because she never wore shoes, very wise just now in Bangkok. Or maybe it's that song she used to sing.....

Edited by bigbamboo

"The governor said the most critical locations were Don Muang and Lak Si, where water levels were rising yesterday."

Just considering the fact that Don Muang lies in the north, doesn't that mean the flood is rising?

According to Yingluck, it is...

From the "We're Nearly Through It" thread :

^^ That's exactly what she means because a few days ago it was perhaps a month/6 weeks... you have 16 billion cubic metres being drained at 50 million m3 per day. Do the maths, Yingluck, and tell people how it is.

It WAS 16 billion cbm, everyday more of that drains. At a total drainage rate of 400million cbm per day.

That is drainage from the whole basin. Tha Chin, Chao Praya, Bang Pakong rivers and various canals.

Last time I saw any numbers about volume left to drain, it was more like 6 to 8 billion cbm.

Rather than the 16 billion cubic meters of water draining... with its total going down....

it's going up.

Today's announcement:

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has indicated there is still about 20 billion cubic meter of floodwater flowing down from the upper part of the country.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1049315

but hey, "We're nearly through it"

Edited by Buchholz

....... for some reason the sixties singer Sandie Shaw comes to mind. Maybe because she never wore shoes, very wise just now in Bangkok. Or maybe it's that song she used to sing.....

Think Smokey Robinson's tears of a clown maybe very approriate as well... :rolleyes:

Really? If you were PM, what would you do? What actions would you take? Would you move people from flooded homes? There's only a few million affected by these floods, so apparently there's an easy solution. Where would you move them? Do you have a plan for making the water go away? How exactly would you keep everyone in the region happy and satisfied, given that some areas must be flooded and others won't be?

I could pose 100 more questions about what you would do or say....what is your master plan that would be any wiser than what YL has given us.

Edited by jaytrading

The most disturbing part of this is that she said they are willing to provide loans to people in the affected areas. So all the government is going to do is have them take out loans to rebuild their homes? At what interest rate and which bank is profiting from these loans?

At the very least the government should be giving grants for people in neighborhoods who suffered total losses.

Astonishing! Truely astonishing! One news (?)- article and the usual suspects are out again, performing the same old routine. Compared to you, the Rolling Stones are an inovative, experimental group of people! And what am I missing here, again? Only 1 word of criticsm towards the govenor.

I think it is time TV prefaced these 'announcements' with a warning in red like what happens with the ones labelled 'satire'

Some possible warnings could include:

Warning article is speculative

Warning article is conjecture

Warning article may be fact-less

Warning article is political posturing

Warning statements made here are at odds with previous statements by (insert here Yingluck, BKK Governor, Minister for Science Fiction etc).

Article is p.ss.ng in the wind

I am sure you could come up with many more suitable labels. whistling.gif

Well said!

The prime minister and the Bangkok governor offered differing views of the flood situation yesterday.

The premier said a critical mass of water had already been diverted away from the capital, while the governor feared another 'wave' would hit the western part of the city.

Who to believe?

THAI LIVE TUESDAY #155:

Flood creeps south down Phayonyothin; Lat Phrao & Chatuchak could be flooded by end of the week (Thai PBS)/via@RichardBarrow

THAI LIVE TUESDAY #156:

7 districts in BKK under evacuation order: Don Mueang, Bangplad, Saimai, Taweewattana, Lak Si, Talingchan, and Bang Khen TR @tanatpong_nna/via@tucky_nt

THAI LIVE TUESDAY #159:

FROC admits flooding spreading into wider area along Paholyothin, Bangkae, Paseechareon, Nhong Kam/TAN_Network

I'm 'not' PM however am I? Why not pose your 100 questions to she who is?

My money's still on the soup lady though.

Really? If you were PM, what would you do? What actions would you take? Would you move people from flooded homes? There's only a few million affected by these floods, so apparently there's an easy solution. Where would you move them? Do you have a plan for making the water go away? How exactly would you keep everyone in the region happy and satisfied, given that some areas must be flooded and others won't be?

I could pose 100 more questions about what you would do or say....what is your master plan that would be any wiser than what YL has given us.

I'm 'not' PM however am I? Why not pose your 100 questions to she who is?

My money's still on the soup lady though.

Yep, I'd put my money on Soup Lady and member Chutney any day of the week, at least one of them has made some sense in this debacle so far by voicing, the other one hasn't spoken as yet, but given the chance I'm sure that her input would be just as credible as the lame ducks who apparently know what they are doing, which they don't.

Sound like both the PM and governor flip coins

I don't get at all the governor is as clueless as the PM.

"Yingluck said it was difficult to push water from the western part of the capital out to sea, as canals in the area mostly ran parallel to the coast."

And she found that out AFTER she sent all the water there?

What's wrong with this picture?

Now they are talking about letting people borrow money to recover.

Lose everything and THEN go into debt to the bloodsucking, heartless banks.

The new term coined by Thaddeus is brilliant: KARMAgeddon.

But the vehicle delivering the evil to the people is the PM and gang.

I can't see the governor screwing anything up. He knows the situation and is trying to warn the people of Bangkok but he has had control wrested away by Taksin's sister. He is really between a hard place and a rock.

How much more clear can he make it for us? He said: "I don't believe FROC."

That's just a nice way to say they LIE.

Edited by plumeria

"Yingluck said it was difficult to push water from the western part of the capital out to sea, as canals in the area mostly ran parallel to the coast."

The new term coined by Thaddeus is brilliant: KARMAgeddon.

But the vehicle delivering the evil to the people is the PM and gang.

I can't see the governor screwing anything up. He knows the situation and is trying to warn the people of Bangkok but he has had control wrested away by Taksin's sister. He is really between a hard place and a rock.

How much more clear can he make it for us? He said: "I don't believe FROC."

That's just a nice way to say they LIE.

Some people are probably going to need loans to recover and it's better that they get it from the banks, rather than from loan sharks.

Sound like both the PM and governor flip coins

I thought this was a pretty large amount of money that involves only essentially writing off over two and half million government loans, but also at the same time, giving those same two and half million voters, a 100,000 Baht payment.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/BAAC-to-grant-3-year-debt-moratorium-to-flood-vict-30168978.html

Hopefully, it's a mis-report somewhere and the BAAC isn't really going to provide 260,000,000,000 baht AND put a 3 year moratorium on loan repayments for 2.6 million people.

But the way this government is tossing huge amounts of money around, it could very well be accurate.