5Ft Black Dish C-Band

kwestroc

Correct me if I'm wrong but can you change the LNB on the dish to KU? Wishful thinking?

I would imagine that the feedhorn would also need to be replaced. Are the costs involved worth it? and 5ft for Ku band is a bit of an overkill unless you are on the edge of the footprint.

Edited by jayceebee

kwestroc,

You have been given good information.

(1) Truevsions package is Ku-band on Thaicom 5 at 78.5E.

(2) Most likely, the scalar ring (feedhorn) on your 170 cm dish is C-band.

(3) A Ku-band LNB will cost about 350 baht. Adapting the Ku-band LNB to the C-band scalar ring will require a little handiwork. Of course, you can get a dual Ku/C-band LNB. But, more expensive.

(4) On the edge of the Ku-band footprint the large dish is helpful. In Thailand, then maybe not much concern.

(5) The large dish may help somewhat with rain fade. Although, spending extra time aligning a small dish will also help.

If you Image Google a little you will find photos of large dishes with Ku-band LNB mounted in several fashions onto the scalar ring of C- band LNB. It's possible to pick up adjacent satellites on a single large dish.

Cheers

Edited by TwentyBaht

YOU SEEM TO BE UP ON ALL OF THIS TECHNICAL JARGON SO I WILL ASK YOU THE QUESTION I HAVE ASKED GMM GRAMMY ABOUT THEIR 1-SKY SATTELITE. I HAVE BOTH TRUE VISIONS ON THEIR KU BAND ANTENNA AND THAICOM ON THE 5FT C- BAND DISH.. TRUE RECENTLY LOST THEIR CONTRACT TO BROADCAST ASN AND ASN HAS NOW SIGNED WITH 1-SKY. 1-SKY OFFERED A REDUCED PRICE IF I ALREDY HAD A 5FT C- BAND DISH. I ASKED THEM IF I USED THE EXISTING DISH CAN IT BE USED FOR BOTH THE THAICOM RECEIVER AND THE 1-SKY RECEIVER AT THE SAME TIME SO THAT I COULD HAVE THAICOM TROUGH THEIR SET TOP BOX ON ONE TV AND 1-SKY ON ANOTHER WITH THE SAME DISH. THEY HAVE NEVER ANSWERED AND HAVE NOW DELAYED 1-SKY INTRODUCTUION UNTIL NEXT YEAR. SORRY FOR THE CAPS , THE CAPS LOCK WAS ON AND I'M TOO LAZY TO RETYPE IT

kwestroc,

You have been given good information.

(1) Truevsions package is Ku-band on Thaicom 5 at 78.5E.

(2) Most likely, the scalar ring (feedhorn) on your 170 cm dish is C-band.

(3) A Ku-band LNB will cost about 350 baht. Adapting the Ku-band LNB to the C-band scalar ring will require a little handiwork. Of course, you can get a dual Ku/C-band LNB. But, more expensive.

(4) On the edge of the Ku-band footprint the large dish is helpful. In Thailand, then maybe not much concern.

(5) The large dish may help somewhat with rain fade. Although, spending extra time aligning a small dish will also help.

If you Image Google a little you will find photos of large dishes with Ku-band LNB mounted in several fashions onto the scalar ring of C- band LNB. It's possible to pick up adjacent satellites on a single large dish.

Cheers

wayned,

Probably, two questions here.

First, will GMM take flight? Lyngsat shows it to beam from the 4174 V Thaicom5 transponder. But,the GMM website does not list ASN programming. (A handful of people have posted as receiving the Grammy ASN signal. But, video in black/white.)

Second, signal from a single dish can split to two receivers. A dual output C-band LNB (about 400 baht) will provide signal to two receivers. And, another way is to install a two-way signal splitter on the LNB cable. (I've even temporarily used a cheap 120baht signal splitter from a hardware store.)

Will offer that ASN is broadcast on TelkomVision and Skynindo Packages. And, in HD on the VTC Digital Package (AsiaSat5).

Cheers

Edited by TwentyBaht

Thanks for the quick and concise answer. I can't find ASN other than telecom 5 which, I think, is true and they have cancelled the contract with ASN. I find ASN on Skynindo. If I wanted to install skynindo along with Thaicom, which I already have, what about the elevation and azimuth of the different sattelites. I had a system years ago that could receive signals from different sattelites, but the position of the antenna had to be moved remotely.

wayned,

Probably, two questions here.

First, will GMM take flight? Lyngsat shows it to beam from the 4174 V Thaicom5 transponder. But,the GMM website does not list ASN programming. (A handful of people have posted as receiving the Grammy ASN signal. But, video in black/white.)

Second, signal from a single dish can split to two receivers. A dual output C-band LNB (about 400 baht) will provide signal to two receivers. And, another way is to install a two-way signal splitter on the LNB cable. (I've even temporarily used a cheap 120baht signal splitter from a hardware store.)

Will offer that ASN is broadcast on TelkomVision and Skynindo Packages. And, in HD on the VTC Digital Package (AsiaSat5).

Cheers

Is your dish motorised?

Thaicom is at 78.5E and Skynindo on Palapa D at 113E

I doubt you can receive from both without moving the dish.

Also Skynindo is encrypted with Viaccess, so you will need a card to view.

There is a Promo channel that is FTA for you to test reception.

I had the 1 Sky Grammy 5' C band dish system installed a couple of weeks ago. ASN is on, in full color, with dual language audio, and in fact is better picture and sound quality than it ever was with true. The rest of the channels currently available are of no interest to me, but the wife likes them.

ASN can also be recieved by any standard 5' C band dish without the 1 Sky receiver during this trial period at least. I tuned it in on my brother-in-law's standard PSI system, again in full color, good picture, but I was unable to get the English audio.

Grammy's plans and prices are still a complete mystery, so who knows what all channels they will have, and how much they will charge. The other day, additional channels showed up in the receiver's channel list including the sports channels shown here:

http://www.gmmsport.com/howto.php

These channels cannot be tuned in yet, and I think are all at 3480 H 30000 as well. In addition, some other channels are newly listed, including something called WB TV which apparently shows American movies and series. This cannot be tuned in yet either, but is listed at 4170 V 13333.

Also FYI, the reciever channel list shows KU band selections as well, so maybe this receiver can be used with both.

So who knows what is going to happen in the next couple months, or at the new year when the service is supposed to start up for real? Is that when the other channels start up and KU band comes online? How much are they going to want to charge? Who knows?

I can say this for sure, ASN is on right now on C band, I have been watching it for a couple weeks now.

I can't get GMM to answer any e-mails. Initally they sent me an installation quote, but since then silence. The latest that I read is that no setop boxes are available until next year. They have joined the masess and are blaming it on the flood. I despiration I signed up with nfl.com to watch via internet. You said that ASN is available on Thai tv for a limited time., I assume you mean Thaicom. I've searched but can not find. What channel?

I had the 1 Sky Grammy 5' C band dish system installed a couple of weeks ago. ASN is on, in full color, with dual language audio, and in fact is better picture and sound quality than it ever was with true. The rest of the channels currently available are of no interest to me, but the wife likes them.

ASN can also be recieved by any standard 5' C band dish without the 1 Sky receiver during this trial period at least. I tuned it in on my brother-in-law's standard PSI system, again in full color, good picture, but I was unable to get the English audio.

Grammy's plans and prices are still a complete mystery, so who knows what all channels they will have, and how much they will charge. The other day, additional channels showed up in the receiver's channel list including the sports channels shown here:

http://www.gmmsport.com/howto.php

These channels cannot be tuned in yet, and I think are all at 3480 H 30000 as well. In addition, some other channels are newly listed, including something called WB TV which apparently shows American movies and series. This cannot be tuned in yet either, but is listed at 4170 V 13333.

Also FYI, the reciever channel list shows KU band selections as well, so maybe this receiver can be used with both.

So who knows what is going to happen in the next couple months, or at the new year when the service is supposed to start up for real? Is that when the other channels start up and KU band comes online? How much are they going to want to charge? Who knows?

I can say this for sure, ASN is on right now on C band, I have been watching it for a couple weeks now.

chmod777,

Excellent post. Thank you.

So, scan the Thaicom5 transponders;

3480 H 30000

4170 V 13333 (?Not listed on Lyngsat)

4174 V 5000

Looks like the five sports channels listed on the website are scheduled to start with ASN (8 Oct) and the rest added through January of next year.

One question, please? The Ku-band channels that showed up. Any, transponder numbers?

Excellent username.:D

Cheers

A dual feed horn is quite practical for a large dish, though not cheap.

post-7384-0-41318100-1320214381_thumb.jp

Here is the link for more details.

When I asked in a previous thread I was told TrueVision requires a single band LNB only and it won't work on a dual band.

The feed horn has two lnb's, one for C-band and the second for Ku-band.

The exact model of lnb for Ku-band can be select to meet the requirements of TrueVision.

To watch ASN for free now on a standard C band receiver:

Find the channel called "Thai Chaiyo" and edit the settings for it, changing "205" to "206" and "305" to "306". When you save the settings, it should tune in ASN. "Good Channel" is another one you could use, change "212" to "206" and "312" to "306".

Euro Sport is now online and viewable, they are showing a man pulling a truck right now. It is also at 3480 H 30000 with 218, 318

Still can't tune in the other "new" channels that showed up in the receiver, maybe they are coming soon.

The 1 Sky receiver channel listing shows the following on KU band, again some of these are not shown on Lyngsat:

Thaicom 5: 12272 H and V 30000, 12313 H and V 30000, 12355 H 30000, 12438 H 30000, 12720 H 30000

NSS6: 11130 V 27500, 11635 H 27500, 11676 H 27500

I found the channel called S Thai Chai Yo, Channel 165 on my Thaicom receiver. By pressing info on the remote the following appears:

Local: 5150 MHZ

4122 MHZ

Symbol Rate: 4688 MHZ

Video PID: 0524 DISEqC LNB1

Audio PID: 0770 Thai script

Pcr PID: 0770 Thai script V

Text PID: 0000 S-3 090908ZL-59.1

---------------------- 83%

---------------------- 69%

There is no video or sound on the channel. I do not see either "206" or " 312"and would not know how to change it if I did. I tried everything to scroll to one of the settings above but could not. If I press menu it comes up with a box with Thai script in it and a place to enter something. No matter what you try to enter it comes it displays "###" and only will accept three characters and then resets.

Am I on the right channel, it's the only one called Thaiyo but has the addition of the S. If it is can you help me getting the correct info input. If you haven't already guessed, I don't have a clue as to what I am doing.

To watch ASN for free now on a standard C band receiver:

Find the channel called "Thai Chaiyo" and edit the settings for it, changing "205" to "206" and "305" to "306". When you save the settings, it should tune in ASN. "Good Channel" is another one you could use, change "212" to "206" and "312" to "306".

Euro Sport is now online and viewable, they are showing a man pulling a truck right now. It is also at 3480 H 30000 with 218, 318

Still can't tune in the other "new" channels that showed up in the receiver, maybe they are coming soon.

The 1 Sky receiver channel listing shows the following on KU band, again some of these are not shown on Lyngsat:

Thaicom 5: 12272 H and V 30000, 12313 H and V 30000, 12355 H 30000, 12438 H 30000, 12720 H 30000

NSS6: 11130 V 27500, 11635 H 27500, 11676 H 27500

Have a motorized C band mesh type dish with dual LNB ( C/KU band) on same LNB unit. So there is seperate output for each C and Ku band. You will need a Diseqc switch between LNB and motor controller unit (or receiver for fixed dish) . Since have mesh type dish, the signal for Ku band is not as strong as metal type dish.

Wayned:

You are on the right track, I can't follow up with much detail until I get back home tomorrow, but try this:

The Chaiyo settings you are seeing may actually be for another channel, NBT or Zaa or something.

Look for "Good Channel" instead, and see if it set for 212, 312. The ### is prompting for a password, usually the default is 123, 1234, 0000, or something easy like that..

C/Ku LNB's for Thaicom, are common place here in Thailand. A single unit like the Infosat one for prime focus dishes (the black dishes) costs between 1100-1300 baht at most satellite shops nationwide.

FYI:

1. The truevisions dishes are called "offset" dishes and require an offset LNB (no external scalar ring required as it is built into the LNB)

2. the big black dishes are called "prime focus" dishes and require a prime focus LNB and scalar ring

3. the dual band (C/Ku) lnbs are designed for "prime focus" dishes and already have a scalar ring on the Ku section of the LNB and a built in diseqc in most cases so you can swap bands with your set top box seamlessly. But their gain is quite low but work well on Thaicom.

4. SkyNindo has no card for it, it is built into the HD set top box, so you need to buy a SkyNindo set top box to watch ASN HD on their network.

If you hadn't guessed I'm a computer illiterate and that, coupled with having to figure things out in Thai with a Thai wife yelling at me in the backgroud because I'm messing with "her" tv, makes me a total idiot. But I perservered and figured it out.

I couldn't find "Good Channel" so I used the S ThaiChai Yo channel, mucked around a bit but finally figured out how to reset the parameters

First I made sure that the satellite was Thicom2/5, which it was.

Then I changed the parameters as below with mixed results

TP Frequency Symbol Rate Polarity VID PID AUD PID Results

03481 29927 H 0206 0306 ASN - Good color & Sound

03480 30000 H 0206 0306 ASN - Good color & sound

04170 13333 H 0206 0306 No Signal

04174 05000 H 0206 0306 No Signal

I tried the first two settings using a number of unused channels with the same results, Good color video and good audio in English. It looks like you can use any unused, or for that matter used, channel as long as the parameters are set right. I haven't figured out how to change the channel name on the menu, but who cares. Now I have ASN all over the place until they decide to remove or encrypt it. I even mucked up one of my wife's favorite channels to see her reaction and even thought about changing all of the channels to ASN but I might not be too long for this world if I did! I'll try the channels with "no signal"after the first of the year.

I have a S Star S-3 set-top box so if anybody is interested in how I did it I'll try to run through it for them.

Thanks for all of your help. Now I can get back to watching football instead of readin the "BS" that goes on in some of these forums , it really does get out of hand.

Wayned:

You are on the right track, I can't follow up with much detail until I get back home tomorrow, but try this:

The Chaiyo settings you are seeing may actually be for another channel, NBT or Zaa or something.

Look for "Good Channel" instead, and see if it set for 212, 312. The ### is prompting for a password, usually the default is 123, 1234, 0000, or something easy like that..

Here in western and flooded Bangkok I have a 5.5 ft C band dish with a integrated C/KU band LNB (cost approx 750 baht) mounted on the focal point. The C band LNB portion has two output and the KU-band portion one output. The dish is fixed and pointed at the Thaicom5 satellite. The KU band portion of the LNB is 11300MHz in order to work easily with TrueVisions. I also have another KU LNB (2 outputs) mounted slight off center on one of the LNB support arms for the NSS6 satellite. These various LNB outputs feed into my 4 input/6 output multiswitch (approx 900 baht) which then feeds outlets around the house. Multiswitches come in various input/output combinations, self powered/non-self powered, gain, etc., and can run from from a few hundred baht to several thousand baht.

Here's the 9Sat link showing 4 integrated/combo C & KU band LNBs. Link I bought/use the first one shown on the page.

Here's the 9Sat link showing six 4 input/6 output multiswitches. Link I bought/use the first one shown on the page.

The other KU band LNB I bought for use with the NSS6 satellite was just a universal two output LNB....can't remember which one I bought....it was an InfoSat/IdeaSat LNB...cost around 350 baht.

When I was still subscribing to TrueVisions Dish Satellite TV (I know have TrueVisions Cable TV) I got better/stronger reception with the C band dish setup than the standard TrueVisions KU band 75cm small dish setup. I use to get a lot of rainfade with the KU band 75cm dish which was aligned correctly; with the KU band LNB on the C-band dish I only got rainfade in the heaviest of rainstorms.

P.S. My C band dish is still well above the 4 foot flood waters in my western Bangkok moobaan/Khet Talingchan (referenced to road level)...about 1 foot of water surrounding the lower portions of the my house foundation since the house foundation is about 3 feet above road level. We evacuated to Nakhorn Pathom last Tuesday....water levels are still 4 to 5 feet high in my moobaan....only boats can travel my moobaan streets right now. Floods suck.

Edited by Pib

With thhe Vid set at 306 the audio is actually Thai, but they don,t mute the english announcers, they just reduce the volume. if you adjust the volume to hear the english, when the Thai announcer comes on you are blasted out of the room. The printout that I was able to get shows that 406 is the setting for english, but when I try 406 or any other number there is no audio. I've e-mailed gmmsport but don't really to expect an answer

If you hadn't guessed I'm a computer illiterate and that, coupled with having to figure things out in Thai with a Thai wife yelling at me in the backgroud because I'm messing with "her" tv, makes me a total idiot. But I perservered and figured it out.

I couldn't find "Good Channel" so I used the S ThaiChai Yo channel, mucked around a bit but finally figured out how to reset the parameters

I tried the first two settings using a number of unused channels with the same results, Good color video and good audio in English. It looks like you can use any unused, or for that matter used, channel as long as the parameters are set right. I haven't figured out how to change the channel name on the menu, but who cares. Now I have ASN all over the place until they decide to remove or encrypt it. I even mucked up one of my wife's favorite channels to see her reaction and even thought about changing all of the channels to ASN but I might not be too long for this world if I did! I'll try the channels with "no signal"after the first of the year.

I have a S Star S-3 set-top box so if anybody is interested in how I did it I'll try to run through it for them.

Thanks for all of your help. Now I can get back to watching football instead of readin the "BS" that goes on in some of these forums , it really does get out of hand.

Wayned:

Sorry, i meant AUD PID set to 306

With thhe Vid set at 306 the audio is actually Thai, but they don,t mute the english announcers, they just reduce the volume. if you adjust the volume to hear the english, when the Thai announcer comes on you are blasted out of the room. The printout that I was able to get shows that 406 is the setting for english, but when I try 406 or any other number there is no audio. I've e-mailed gmmsport but don't really to expect an answer

Wayned: