Whole Bangkok At Risk Of Flooding After Opening Of Key Sluice Gate

webfact

Whole city at risk of flooding after opening of key sluice gate

The Nation

30169037-01.jpg

The government's snap decision under public pressure to raise a critical sluice gate in eastern Bangkok to one metre could expose the whole city to flooding.

"Such a fast drainage rate will make the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's [bMA] calculation that 19 districts in the capital will be safe completely inaccurate. They will be all inundated as a result," Deputy Governor Theerachon Manomaiphiboon said yesterday.

If the gate stays open at that height, the Bangkok districts immediately at risk of flooding are Bang Kapi, Saphan Soong and Bueng Kum, all next to Klong Sam Wa district where the watergate in dispute is located, he said.

"The excess flood water being drained through Sam Wa Canal's gate will travel to Saen Saeb Canal, which will overflow in all 50 Bangkok districts through underground links and sewer networks," he said.

The government should declare a state of emergency so it can fully implement crowd control measures at key watergates and pumping stations to prevent angry mobs from forcefully stopping their operations, he added.

In response to the scuffle at the Sam Wa gate between officials and residents, the government yesterday set up a tripartite committee dealing with flood management to cope with individual leaks and conflicts over drainage rates.

The two other parties are the BMA and the Royal Irrigation Department, Deputy Governor Phornthep Techapaiboon said.

The committee, to be chaired by Pheu Thai Party secretary-general Jaruphong Ruengsuwan, has a panel to communicate with the local communities and explain how other areas not yet affected will be put at greater

risk of flooding.

The BMA, which operates the Sam Wa gate, has reportedly been unwilling to comply with the government. It insists that 70 centimetres is technically an appropriate level, but it agreed to open the gate to 1 metre after pressure from angry residents over the weekend.

The new committee was studying whether the 1-metre height of the gate would send excess flood water into two large industrial estates in Bang Chan and Lat Krabang. This is what Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra publicly claimed was the reason the Sam Wa gate should not be opened more than 70cm.

The residents are not yet fully happy with the gate's height and still gather occasionally at the site to make sure it is not lowered.

BMA officials are trying to repair both shoulders of the gate, which had been damaged by the mob on Monday night, letting through torrents of flood water.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-02

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's difficult to tell what's being reported on, because I'm only accessing English news, but I wonder if anyone is reporting on whether tearing down all these embankments, forcing open the sluice gates and so on is relieving any of the flooding that is cited as the reasoning for doing so. Perhaps the Thai media is reporting on these things? Certainly we've had a number of levees and other things destroyed at the behest of angry citizens by now (including the amazing MP commandeering a frontloader to tear one down himself), so what has the effect been? Are their locales now high and dry? Less-flooded? If so, great. If not, perhaps reporting on this would be an effective way to point out that it doesn't help.

Not that I don't understand their frustration and their lack of trust in the authorities' recommendations, of course. For all I know maybe the citizens are right, they certainly seem to be no less adept at decision-making than the people they've elected to govern them.

It's difficult to tell what's being reported on, because I'm only accessing English news, but I wonder if anyone is reporting on whether tearing down all these embankments, forcing open the sluice gates and so on is relieving any of the flooding that is cited as the reasoning for doing so. Perhaps the Thai media is reporting on these things? Certainly we've had a number of levees and other things destroyed at the behest of angry citizens by now (including the amazing MP commandeering a frontloader to tear one down himself), so what has the effect been? Are their locales now high and dry? Less-flooded? If so, great. If not, perhaps reporting on this would be an effective way to point out that it doesn't help.

Not that I don't understand their frustration and their lack of trust in the authorities' recommendations, of course. For all I know maybe the citizens are right, they certainly seem to be no less adept at decision-making than the people they've elected to govern them.

It's probably not something that is measurable.

There was a tweet yesterday saying that the water level behind the gate was 50cm higher, which was due to the high tides. If the levels go lower, it will also be mainly from the lower tides.

There was a tweet yesterday saying that the water level behind the gate was 50cm higher, which was due to the high tides. If the levels go lower, it will also be mainly from the lower tides.

That's sort of the point, I'd think. If they break open the sluice gate and water remains the same height, or varies back and forth around the same height, then even accounting for the variance due to all the inputs in the system you'd have to assume that at absolute best it didn't improve the situation. On the other hand, you could more easily measure whether other communities were flooded because of it in many cases. I think the specific grievances would be the easiest to test, like the people who tore down the embankment because the school they were sheltering in was under a meter and a half of water (or however much), Go back and check it once a day, see if it's still under water or less under water or what. Obviously you can't measure what would have happened absent the change and there are a lot of variables, but you can at least measure what did happen.

That's sort of the point, I'd think. If they break open the sluice gate and water remains the same height, or varies back and forth around the same height, then even accounting for the variance due to all the inputs in the system you'd have to assume that at absolute best it didn't improve the situation. On the other hand, you could more easily measure whether other communities were flooded because of it in many cases. I think the specific grievances would be the easiest to test, like the people who tore down the embankment because the school they were sheltering in was under a meter and a half of water (or however much), Go back and check it once a day, see if it's still under water or less under water or what. Obviously you can't measure what would have happened absent the change and there are a lot of variables, but you can at least measure what did happen.

Its a very hard thing to measure as it also depends on the water flow 'into' the community that is being flooded behind the gates.. This kind of detailed data is hard to access.

What is certain tho, is if your in a flooded area, and water is not being allowed to leave it as fast as possible, your flooding is being made worse, either for longer duration or higher flood levels, the restriction on water leaving makes that obvious.

Thats without getting into the rights and wrongs of choosing who is flooded or what areas have higher or lesser importance. Of course protecting business and infrastructure is important, of course hard moral choices have to be made, to put pain in some areas to save pain in others, but the question is who has the right to make those choices, and on what variables are they calculated.

A win for the poor.

This should be the way to fight double standard.

Why should bangkok be kept dry? Do bangkok people pay special tax for this privilege?

Don't any poor people live in Bangkok?

Some of the people in flooded areas still have jobs in Bangkok. Do you want them to lose their jobs too?

Also, given that very few Thai's pay tax, maybe the people in Bangkok DO pay a special tax for this privilege.

A win for the poor.

Why should bangkok be kept dry? Do bangkok people pay special tax for this privilege?

Some of the people in flooded areas still have jobs in Bangkok. Do you want them to lose their jobs too?

Also, given that very few Thai's pay tax, maybe the people in Bangkok DO pay a special tax for this privilege.

there are so many reasons why this is a bad idea.... i personally dont care if it floods, if it happens it happens. but these people only care about the social injustice they face because the city which provides most of them with jobs, and not to mention food and water, isnt flooded. we'll just see what happens when they start whining about starving or because their government compensation package shrinks because bkk needs to be bailed out too. honestly, if they act like that, they totally deserve it. it's the collectivist mentality, one monkey does it, and all the other monkeys see and follow....

A win for the poor.

That is the point, the people in Bangkok pay tax because they earn enough to do so. It is where a good percentage of the tax revenue comes from. So it could be argued the government is just protecting it's income base.

A win for the poor.

If I was rural people, I'am boring to carry the idiots head too. Why people outside Bangkok should pay for all the blemish they make since months?

There is a lot of water in the north, waiting for flow. It's not only a few thousend in eastern Bkk, It's the whole Land, and some of them standing since 6 weeks in the water.

And when you hear, how Sukumbhand speak about flood victims, then its really time to see clear. :angry:

Edited by Scott
Royal reference removed

If I was rural people, I'am boring to carry the idiots head too. Why people outside Bangkok should pay for all the blemish they make since months?

There is a lot of water in the north, waiting for flow. It's not only a few thousend in eastern Bkk, It's the whole Land, and some of them standing since 6 weeks in the water.

And when you hear, how Sukumbhand speak about flood victims, then its really time to see clear. :angry:

So instead of having 2.5 - 3 million people suffering for weeks with floods, you would prefer 6 - 9 million people suffering for weeks?

Edited by Scott
Royal reference removed

Bangkok is the only city in Thailand with a permanent, functional drainage system. Any water entering the central areas of the city can be drained out in relatively short time, like in days. Water let into the flat areas outside the city will stay there for weeks or months. There's no way to control it and pumping it out will take ages, since it flows so slowly. Interestingly, the other place with a functional drainage system, Suwannapoom, is being protected too. It's mostly about face.

Many of the pump stations along the coast in Samut Prakan are currently going at less than half speed, simply because there's not enough water there to work on. The water is moving slowly partly because of the nature of the landscape, but mostly because it's being obstructed by human action and by the fact that the klongs haven't been maintained and developed properly.

Remember also that in Bangkok, poor people live in concrete ghettos from the second floor and up. Mostly rich and upper middle class people live on the ground in Bangkok.

Edited by zakk9

So instead of having 2.5 - 3 million people suffering for weeks with floods, you would prefer 6 - 9 million people suffering for weeks?

What I was told yesterday by many posters to this board was that I and people in my area, Thawi Wattana, simply needed to accept the floods covering our homes because it was our fate and we supposedly chose poorly in deciding where to live. I wouldn't say the same thing about people living in central Bangkok today. But I'm thinking it. But, hey, don't worry. The government will come up with something to save the inner city. They'll probably just redirect a couple of more meters of water over my house. BTW, the area to which I evacuated, On Nut, on Sukhumvit Soi 50 has a klong out back that has been going down for two days. It was already barely a third full and now has dropped another 15-20 cm.

I fully agree with the King who say:" Let the water flow".

The question is for how long..

Surely you dont think that restrained flood waters drain at the same speed as unrestrained ones do you ??

I think it's hightime to let the water flow. The rural people not fish, people going sick and die. So Bkk have resposibility to help now, that is what I think.

Where do you stay?

You ever where in floodet areas?

Shut up.

Edited by Scott
Royal reference removed

Yeah, okay...bring it on! Flood the heart of the economy, bring Bangkok (and along with it : THE REST OF THAILAND) to a hold. Flood the airport, the last remaining industrial parks , the shops, the businesses and the shopping and entertainment areas. Just stop live in Bangkok for 1 or 2 weeks. I guess the food- vendors will levitate above the water with their jet-packs and the girls on Patpong will send all the millions to Isan, they hoard on their several offshore bank accounts.

But <deleted>: your houses will dry up in two hours and the water will be gone miraculously. And the pumps in Bangkok (which now can hardly cope with 3 days of torrential downpour without flooding streets en masse) will easily pump millions of cubicmeters of water out of the city in no time.

....and when you wake up, please get a reality check!

What I was told yesterday by many posters to this board was that I and people in my area, Thawi Wattana, simply needed to accept the floods covering our homes because it was our fate and we supposedly chose poorly in deciding where to live. I wouldn't say the same thing about people living in central Bangkok today. But I'm thinking it. But, hey, don't worry. The government will come up with something to save the inner city. They'll probably just redirect a couple of more meters of water over my house. BTW, the area to which I evacuated, On Nut, on Sukhumvit Soi 50 has a klong out back that has been going down for two days. It was already barely a third full and now has dropped another 15-20 cm.

I don't agree with the "you chose to live there" stuff. These floods are bigger than what anyone would have expected before 3 months ago.

Wasn't that klong overflowing a couple of days ago? Obviously they've shut down the gate because they couldn't pump the water out quick enough at the other end.

I think it's hightime to let the water flow. The rural people not fish, people going sick and die. So Bkk have resposibility to help now, that is what I think.

Where do you stay?

Shut up.

I haven't been in the flooded areas. So I'm not talking through my emotions.

People are going get sick and die. Flooding Bangkok just means that more people are going to get sick and die.

Bangkok has a responsibility to help. But they can't help if they are flooded. If Bangkok is flooded, that just means that the relief efforts (what little their is) needs to be spread 2 or 3 times as thin. How does that help the people in flooded areas?

Edited by Scott
Royal reference removed

Bangkok is the only city in Thailand with a permanent, functional drainage system. Any water entering the central areas of the city can be drained out in relatively short time, like in days. Water let into the flat areas outside the city will stay there for weeks or months. There's no way to control it and pumping it out will take ages, since it flows so slowly. Interestingly, the other place with a functional drainage system, Suwannapoom, is being protected too. It's mostly about face.

Many of the pump stations along the coast in Samut Prakan are currently going at less than half speed, simply because there's not enough water there to work on. The water is moving slowly partly because of the nature of the landscape, but mostly because it's being obstructed by human action and by the fact that the klongs haven't been maintained and developed properly.

Remember also that in Bangkok, poor people live in concrete ghettos from the second floor and up. Mostly rich and upper middle class people live on the ground in Bangkok.

Thank you for this informations, I agree 100%, they do same than all the time, block water and flooding all around BKK.

I think it's political fight between yellow BKK and Rest-Thailand, the old rabbit hit the young chicken...

Sukumbhand have the most responsibillity for the disaster we have.

I don't agree with the "you chose to live there" stuff. These floods are bigger than what anyone would have expected before 3 months ago.

Wasn't that klong overflowing a couple of days ago? Obviously they've shut down the gate because they couldn't pump the water out quick enough at the other end.

No, that was a break in the barriers topping the Phra Khanong. I'm talking about the smaller drainage canals that interlace this area. I'm still not that familiar with the area but I did notice travellling around that many of them were either virtually empty or only a fraction full. I don't know their function, frankly. For all I know that could be rainwater catchments. I would just like to know why they're empty. And nobody around here seems to have an answer. The best reply I've received is that nobody knows how they work, nobody is in charge, and most of the pumps aren't working anyway.

Thank you for this informations, I agree 100%, they do same than all the time, block water and flooding all around BKK.

I think it's political fight between yellow BKK and Rest-Thailand, the old rabbit hit the young chicken...

While the post makes it too much a blame game.. There has to be some acknowledgement, that keeping bangkok dry costs other places the ability to drain.. Simple logic..

Now if the benefit is with the majority, if the benefit to economics, if all kinds of variables are 'right' or 'wrong' for that to happen is a debate.. But its a debate we dont see happening, we just see the BKK governor defending bangkok. Theres no discussion on the moral right or wrong of that defense, and if the price paid is fair.

It's a different, how long you stay in the water. After 1 month the rice and the fruittrees going dead. Toilets don't work, and the smell will make you run away.

And how will it help if another 3 million toilets aren't working?

A win for the poor.

Have to agree with why bother and ask what the heck sparebox2 is smokin.

You protect the capital and its infrastructure as priority.

Many good reasons for this

1) without infrastructure in place in capital effective and speedy recovery will not be possible

2) For a country where international opinion and confidence is already threatened to allow capital to flood furthering devastation and hampering recovery will be disasterous. If Im the Vietnamese and singaporean better business council trying to attract business to my shores I would just love to see bangkok flooded and deliberately so by Thai officials. Cancel my advertising.. the companies will come as Thailand is a basket case

3) You need a solid capital city base to drive growth back in the provinces. Evacuate the city in total or at least to a high majority and demand for goods and services drops and fragments delaying effective recovery

and yes far higher proportion of people in Bangkok pay tax than in regional areas so surely those whose monies will be applied to the poor in terms of recovery efforts should see some consideration.

Unfortunately as often in Thailand keeping regional interests propped up comes at the expense of allot of other things.

I fully agree with the King who say:" Let the water flow".

Where do you stay?

Shut up.

Where do you think people flooded out of their homes went? They went to the dry areas. Opening the gate more wont help the people already flooded, it just means more get affected. Is that what you want?

I've really had a gutful of the pathetic whining. You think you are the only person with problem? Grow up you drip.

No, that was a break in the barriers topping the Phra Khanong. I'm talking about the smaller drainage canals that interlace this area. I'm still not that familiar with the area but I did notice travellling around that many of them were either virtually empty or only a fraction full. I don't know their function, frankly. For all I know that could be rainwater catchments. I would just like to know why they're empty. And nobody around here seems to have an answer. The best reply I've received is that nobody knows how they work, nobody is in charge, and most of the pumps aren't working anyway.

Most of the small klongs in Bangkok are for storm water drainage.

Any water that goes into the klongs has to be pumped out at the other end. Most of the pumps are working. But they pump the water into other klongs or back into the river.

The klongs aren't designed to handle the amount of water that is coming from the north. Look at Don Mueang for example. It is inside the flood protection zone, and it is under 1-2 metres of water, and it's been like that for a week. You don't think they would pump that out through the klong system if they could?

Spirit47 - Clearly you are frustrated but you frustration is clouding your judgement. If Bangkok goes under YOUR COUNTRY is broken and your house and community will still be flooded. I think you need to look at the Japanese and their fortitude in dealing with the tsunami or even the Brits during the Blitz. Unless you pull together as a people and stop looking with jealous eyes at your brothers and sisters your suffering will continue.

In other words if your house was dry and your fellow Thais were trying to flood it by tearing down barriers to flood your house, how would you feel towards your Thai brothers and sisters who were tearing down the barriers? Would you offer them help or would you fight them?

And you are wrong with your assertion of the Governor - The buck stops at Yinglucks door. She is the PM it is her responsibility to lead, co-ordinate and work with the relevant agencies to produce a clear plan of action in which all parties understand their roles. If these things do not happen it is her fault. And remember this ultimately boils down to the people who made the judgement and voted her in as the person in the whole country with the qualities best suited to lead Thailand. Remember that next time you put your cross in the box when you vote. Does this person have the qualities and experiences required to led my great country? As opposed to what will we be given for free.

P.S. i live in Minburi

Where do you stay?

Shut up.

I haven't been in the flooded areas. So I'm not talking through my emotions.

People are going get sick and die. Flooding Bangkok just means that more people are going to get sick and die.

Bangkok has a responsibility to help. But they can't help if they are flooded. If Bangkok is flooded, that just means that the relief efforts (what little their is) needs to be spread 2 or 3 times as thin. How does that help the people in flooded areas?

Your aptly named so why do you even attempt to explain the logic to someone whose emotions are probably rightly disturbed but is totally incapable of understanding simple logistics of keeping the areas of manufacture and finance open.

My advice Whybother is to beat your head against the nearest hard surface.

Spirit47 - Clearly you are frustrated but you frustration is clouding your judgement. If Bangkok goes under YOUR COUNTRY is broken and your house and community will still be flooded. I think you need to look at the Japanese and their fortitude in dealing with the tsunami or even the Brits during the Blitz. Unless you pull together as a people and stop looking with jealous eyes at your brothers and sisters your suffering will continue.

In other words if your house was dry and your fellow Thais were trying to flood it by tearing down barriers to flood your house, how would you feel towards your Thai brothers and sisters who were tearing down the barriers? Would you offer them help or would you fight them?

And you are wrong with your assertion of the Governor - The buck stops at Yinglucks door. She is the PM it is her responsibility to lead, co-ordinate and work with the relevant agencies to produce a clear plan of action in which all parties understand their roles. If these things do not happen it is her fault. And remember this ultimately boils down to the people who made the judgement and voted her in as the person in the whole country with the qualities best suited to lead Thailand. Remember that next time you put your cross in the box when you vote. Does this person have the qualities and experiences required to led my great country? As opposed to what will we be given for free.

P.S. i live in Minburi

Sorry but what a crock of the brown stuff when you cite experience in dealing with this flood which is the worst for fifty years and that you should have voted those people in, there is no politician in power that experienced the floods fifty yrs ago and last year when there was a drought, how was that handled, yes I know, just wonderful by the then incumbent, for christs sake stop putting politics into this and encourage the people to try and pull together for the good of the country.