Whole Bangkok At Risk Of Flooding After Opening Of Key Sluice Gate

webfact

cant help thinking that all this water making the ground soggy and this supports all those mega buildings in BKK

its a fact that BKK is sinking and maybe this might speed things up

people will be shocked when they find out their insurance probably wont cover anything

good luck all

I was not sure if what I wished to say would be relevant on this thread, but bearing in mind the above post here goes.

Do we have any 'qualified' civil engineers on tvf? If Bangkok were to be flooded to, say, one metre (just for a figure) would that create any potential problems for the structural safety of all the very high-rise buildings? I would expect that someone in authority has already looked at/is looking at that particular scenario.

My wife and I live in Pattaya and it is right to say that we cannot even begin to appreciate, let alone understand, the suffering and misery that this tragic event has caused people. I have heard various expats here (and a few Thais) who are far from enamoured that their local superstores are running low/out of their favourite products and that traffic congestion has increased due to the influx of those wanting to escape the ravages of up north. It saddens me that a miniscule number of Pattaya people can find nothing better to do than moan about a minor inconvenience compared to the tragedy farther afield.

Having read the majority of threads/posts concerning this disaster I can understand contributors raising the various political questions and attempting to place blame here, there and everywhere. I have only lived (retired) here since 2007 so I do not intend to enter into the political debate concerning matters I do not pretend to understand.

What have we done to help those affected? Well, not a great deal really save for donating clothes (all our surplus has now gone) and the occasional items of basic food/toiletry items which a local Thai friend/businessman who works in Bangkok has been delivering. Clearly with the current flooding situation apparently not improving it is about time we did more. On that basis I extend an invitation to anyone wanting to come here until their home situation improves. No charge or remuneration is required or asked for. All I would say is provide your own food and there is still plenty available locally. For anyone interested out property is one the east side of Sukhumvit Road off Soi Khow Noi in a Thai enclave cul-de-sac with only a handfull of farangs. It is a two up and one down old terraced property (30 years) - cosy without being too small - not the Hilton or even approaching 5* luxury as far as the fixtures/fittings are concerned but our welcome and sincerity is 5*. We do not have our own transport but there are motorcycle taxis into Pattaya (ten minutes away) at 40baht per person per one way - there are also local open taxis but I do not know how often they pass the end of our soi. Please feel free to send me a personal message if interested.

I should have mentioned that I am a UK expat and my wife is Thai. We have an extended Thai family living within a five miles radius with non-UK husbands - not that nationnality should make any difference as the invitation is open to all.

God bless all those who are surrering/may suffer from this disaster and I hope there will be no more loss of life - buildings can be replaced but loved ones cannot.

Lest anyone reading this forgets - any 'qualified' civil engineers can answer my initial point. Thank you.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been in the flooded areas. So I'm not talking through my emotions.

People are going get sick and die. Flooding Bangkok just means that more people are going to get sick and die.

Bangkok has a responsibility to help. But they can't help if they are flooded. If Bangkok is flooded, that just means that the relief efforts (what little their is) needs to be spread 2 or 3 times as thin. How does that help the people in flooded areas?

There seems to be a lot of people who understands this, but unfortunately even more people who does not, just take a look at thaivisa, so many people here just do not understand what would happen if the inner city of Bangkok would be flooded.

A lot of people seems to think, "why should inner Bangkok with rich people be saved when all the poor people in the villages are suffering?, making it look like a class war, the amount of stupidity is just amazing.

cant help thinking that all this water making the ground soggy and this supports all those mega buildings in BKK

people will be shocked when they find out their insurance probably wont cover anything

good luck all

I was not sure if what I wished to say would be relevant on this thread, but bearing in mind the above post here goes.

Do we have any 'qualified' civil engineers on tvf? If Bangkok were to be flooded to, say, one metre (just for a figure) would that create any potential problems for the structural safety of all the very high-rise buildings? I would expect that someone in authority has already looked at/is looking at that particular scenario.

My wife and I live in Pattaya and it is right to say that we cannot even begin to appreciate, let alone understand, the suffering and misery that this tragic event has caused people. I have heard various expats here (and a few Thais) who are far from enamoured that their local superstores are running low/out of their favourite products and that traffic congestion has increased due to the influx of those wanting to escape the ravages of up north. It saddens me that a miniscule number of Pattaya people can find nothing better to do than moan about a minor inconvenience compared to the tragedy farther afield.

Having read the majority of threads/posts concerning this disaster I can understand contributors raising the various political questions and attempting to place blame here, there and everywhere. I have only lived (retired) here since 2007 so I do not intend to enter into the political debate concerning matters I do not pretend to understand.

What have we done to help those affected? Well, not a great deal really save for donating clothes (all our surplus has now gone) and the occasional items of basic food/toiletry items which a local Thai friend/businessman who works in Bangkok has been delivering. Clearly with the current flooding situation apparently not improving it is about time we did more. On that basis I extend an invitation to anyone wanting to come here until their home situation improves. No charge or remuneration is required or asked for. All I would say is provide your own food and there is still plenty available locally. For anyone interested out property is one the east side of Sukhumvit Road off Soi Khow Noi in a Thai enclave cul-de-sac with only a handfull of farangs. It is a two up and one down old terraced property (30 years) - cosy without being too small - not the Hilton or even approaching 5* luxury as far as the fixtures/fittings are concerned but our welcome and sincerity is 5*. We do not have our own transport but there are motorcycle taxis into Pattaya (ten minutes away) at 40baht per person per one way - there are also local open taxis but I do not know how often they pass the end of our soi. Please feel free to send me a personal message if interested.

I should have mentioned that I am a UK expat and my wife is Thai. We have an extended Thai family living within a five miles radius with non-UK husbands - not that nationnality should make any difference as the invitation is open to all.

God bless all those who are surrering/may suffer from this disaster and I hope there will be no more loss of life - buildings can be replaced but loved ones cannot.

Lest anyone reading this forgets - any 'qualified' civil engineers can answer my initial point. Thank you.

I'm not a civil engineer but talked to one who know the scene in Bangkok. The newer buildings, lets say from the last 15 years are over safety standards. The piles go deep into the ground to the max. Not sure I think it was 32 m, after that the piles would fold and have no longer effect. It will affect the older buildings and the roads badly though. They will be hollowed and than crack and break when the hot season comes.

good luck all

What a refreshing post. Chris, you have been living here for 4 years. I sincerely hope that over the next 40 years, you are still able to hang on to your positive outlook and not get drowned by the cynicism and negativity shown here by lots of the other posters (I think you know to whom I am referring).

p/s: on another point, don't you worry. TVF is full of "qualified armchair" experts on anything under the sun :)

The issue is would it make the water drain away tangibly quicker for those outside the flood walls. There is so much water up there, and relative to what the area of Bangkok is, I somehow doubt it. It has taken effectively 2 weeks to flood into Don Muang, and I don't hear that it has improved the lot of those beyond the flood walls one bit.

I heard somewhere that they have opened up another of the damns to reduce the load upstream, where will all this extra water go? Firstly Ayuttaya, to the edge of the flood barriers, into Don Muang, into Thonburi, and round the edge of the city to SVB.

I was around the airport yesterday, and when you consider how saturated that whole area is, somewhere is going to get wet that isn't already, and it basically will be downtown (or very close to) Bangkok. Be it 10cm, or 1m deep, there is just nowhere else for this water to go.

The issue is would it make the water drain away tangibly quicker for those outside the flood walls. There is so much water up there, and relative to what the area of Bangkok is, I somehow doubt it. It has taken effectively 2 weeks to flood into Don Muang, and I don't hear that it has improved the lot of those beyond the flood walls one bit.

I heard somewhere that they have opened up another of the damns to reduce the load upstream, where will all this extra water go? Firstly Ayuttaya, to the edge of the flood barriers, into Don Muang, into Thonburi, and round the edge of the city to SVB.

I was around the airport yesterday, and when you consider how saturated that whole area is, somewhere is going to get wet that isn't already, and it basically will be downtown (or very close to) Bangkok. Be it 10cm, or 1m deep, there is just nowhere else for this water to go.

It will be probably much higher. That's the problem, when the area is saturated it will push higher with the next major high tide on November 26

As a question, if all the flood defenses were removed, what is the calculation for how long it would take for downtown Bangkok to be dry after being inundated?

A week? Two weeks, a month?

until next year, some areas up to six months. El-Nino will be ending next year which will make it more problematic.

A win for the poor.

This should be the way to fight double standard.

Why should bangkok be kept dry? Do bangkok people pay special tax for this privilege?

Bangkok should be kept dry for reasons of importance not flooded for being equal with the rest.

As a question, if all the flood defenses were removed, what is the calculation for how long it would take for downtown Bangkok to be dry after being inundated?

until next year, some areas up to six months. El-Nino will be ending next year which will make it more problematic.

Really that long? If they broke up all the damns and catchments and levees just let the water flow freely, it would still be presenting flooded areas which are dry now, in 6 months?

Flooding Bangkok is not going to help anyone. Over 60% of Thailand's financial income is created in Bangkok. Flood Bangkok and you will have several million more poor people and no tourist income for a long time to come. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions, that's life. Protect your wealth then you will have monies to help those poor souls who have suffered and yes I have already been flooded but I still say protect your capital.

Capitol or Capital ????? of both

"of both " or "or both" ?

must be an English teacher, proud to be able to spot a typo hehehe

Edited by skippybangkok

I'm not a civil engineer but talked to one who know the scene in Bangkok. The newer buildings, lets say from the last 15 years are over safety standards. The piles go deep into the ground to the max. Not sure I think it was 32 m, after that the piles would fold and have no longer effect. It will affect the older buildings and the roads badly though. They will be hollowed and than crack and break when the hot season comes.

Supposedly there is bedrock down there somewhere ... but how deep ????

FROC Announcement Assures Safety of Research Nuclear Reactor

At 2.10 PM, the Flood Relief Operations Center (FROC) held a press conference to assure the safety from flooding from a research nuclear reactor facility at the Office of Atomic Energy for Peace, located on the flooded Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

The reactor is housed on the third story of a small building which is 1.2 meters above the street level. Sandbag barricades and water pumps have been put up and so far the building has not seen flooding yet.

The reactor itself is located inside a pool that is 8.7 meters from the street level. The pool is 8 meters long and has 2.4 cubic meters of water. The walls of the pool is made of concrete that is 1 meter thick on each side so it should easily withstand pressure of 1-2 tons of water.

The reactor has been shut down since late October due to the fact that nuclear material cannot be transported to the facility.

Officials assured they are closely monitoring the reactor but they are confident the flood situation will not cause any nuclear material leak.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-02

footer_n.gif

THAT is the question of the day. NOBODY has any idea just guesses. At least the water would flood, not stand. MY OPINION

: BAD for the economic future, but GOOD for the health of hundredthousands at the spot. Floating water is very much healthier than standing, rotten floods were bakteria and virus explodeand Mosquito breeding ponds. Make your choice.

Flooding Bangkok is not going to help anyone. Over 60% of Thailand's financial income is created in Bangkok. Flood Bangkok and you will have several million more poor people and no tourist income for a long time to come. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions, that's life. Protect your wealth then you will have monies to help those poor souls who have suffered and yes I have already been flooded but I still say protect your capital.

Capitol or Capital ????? of both

"of both " or "or both" ?

must be an English teacher, proud to be able to spot a typo hehehe

I like the "Thai Bath" prices instead of "Thai Baht".

A win for the poor.

Why should bangkok be kept dry? Do bangkok people pay special tax for this privilege?

Bangkok should be kept dry for reasons of importance not flooded for being equal with the rest.

has it occurs to anyone at all that poor farmers are people too, just just bangkokians.

Really that long? If they broke up all the damns and catchments and levees just let the water flow freely, it would still be presenting flooded areas which are dry now, in 6 months?

The sea is exceptional high during this time. Even when you pump it out new water would press to sea-level from the ground, for which there would be plenty of it. When they can mange to drain 1 million cubic meters a day, how long would it take to drain, lets say 12 billion cubic meters excess water that may accumulate during that time and event? Even when you consider the low tides where water can flow into the sea there would be still to much coming from the north to refill Bangkok to the brim.

Better not to have the inner city saturated.

Supposedly there is bedrock down there somewhere ... but how deep ????

no, it's more like toothpicks in a jelly.

A win for the poor.

has it occurs to anyone at all that poor farmers are people too, just just bangkokians.

Some Bangkokneys might say" But buffaloes can swim"

THAT is the question of the day. NOBODY has any idea just guesses. At least the water would flood, not stand. MY OPINION

: BAD for the economic future, but GOOD for the health of hundredthousands at the spot. Floating water is very much healthier than standing, rotten floods were bakteria and virus explodeand Mosquito breeding ponds. Make your choice.

Well, I guess no one wants to answer the question, but if it is something like 2 weeks, give everyone one in downtown Bangkok a weeks notice to sandbag everything critical that is dry right now and give a weeks holiday and let it all go. People will say it can't be done of course, this will be a problem, that will be a problem. Well, there is a bloody big problem now. Of course, as you say, no one knows for sure how long any of this will take, but there must be someone out there who can give some answer somewhere. I don't see the rationale in holding it back and back and back, when it will trickle slowly into various bits and bobs anyway, and take months to get rid of.

Bangkokians get to have a songkran holiday in November, everything is co-ordinated, the army can get involved. Of course, if there was a plan before, I am sure someone far smarter than me would have come up with it, but then of course the answer probably was "up to you".

FROC Announcement Assures Safety of Research Nuclear Reactor

At 2.10 PM, the Flood Relief Operations Center (FROC) held a press conference to assure the safety from flooding from a research nuclear reactor facility at the Office of Atomic Energy for Peace, located on the flooded Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

The reactor is housed on the third story of a small building which is 1.2 meters above the street level. Sandbag barricades and water pumps have been put up and so far the building has not seen flooding yet.

The reactor itself is located inside a pool that is 8.7 meters from the street level. The pool is 8 meters long and has 2.4 cubic meters of water. The walls of the pool is made of concrete that is 1 meter thick on each side so it should easily withstand pressure of 1-2 tons of water.

The reactor has been shut down since late October due to the fact that nuclear material cannot be transported to the facility.

Officials assured they are closely monitoring the reactor but they are confident the flood situation will not cause any nuclear material leak.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-02

footer_n.gif

Yeah right up to the time the next bunch of local morons knocks down some dyke etc

The sea is exceptional high during this time. Even when you pump it out new water would press to sea-level from the ground, for which there would be plenty of it. When they can mange to drain 1 million cubic meters a day, how long would it take to drain, lets say 12 billion cubic meters excess water that may accumulate during that time and event? Even when you consider the low tides where water can flow into the sea there would be still to much coming from the north to refill Bangkok to the brim.

Better not to have the inner city saturated.

Well, you have an answer, it is just that I can't seem to find anyone else giving something that matches it. Not to say that you are wrong, but is the total maximum drainage daily in Bangkok 1mn qm? I don't know, but since it appears that nobody from the govt wants to countenance the idea, I haven't heard anyone else really discuss, how long it "should" take to get Bangkok back from being wet to dry give or take a day or so. If letting it go significantly shortens the whole mess, I think they should seriously think about it.

Sadly, will anything be achieved if it trickles slowly into unflooded areas in 2 weeks time anyway? and it takes longer to get rid of than it should?

A win for the poor.

Of course, that's why we should help them by NOT flooding the area that generate 40% of the government revenue that these poor farmers need the tax money from ^_^

Edited by MikeyIdea

Well, I guess no one wants to answer the question, but if it is something like 2 weeks, give everyone one in downtown Bangkok a weeks notice to sandbag everything critical that is dry right now and give a weeks holiday and let it all go. People will say it can't be done of course, this will be a problem, that will be a problem. Well, there is a bloody big problem now. Of course, as you say, no one knows for sure how long any of this will take, but there must be someone out there who can give some answer somewhere. I don't see the rationale in holding it back and back and back, when it will trickle slowly into various bits and bobs anyway, and take months to get rid of.

Bangkokians get to have a songkran holiday in November, everything is co-ordinated, the army can get involved. Of course, if there was a plan before, I am sure someone far smarter than me would have come up with it, but then of course the answer probably was "up to you".

As far as my research goes, there IS NO PLAN AND NO SCENARIO for such an event of 12 Mio. People getting flooded at nearly the same time. Which doesnt even include the other areas outside of Bangkok.! Very soon the rapid increase of patients suffering of diarea, dengue, hong kong foot and multiple flood related disease will mount ! Instead gettng started to face these livethreatening problems, witch soon will have to catch all attention, the government is tying to save the inner zones, witch, by my opinion CANNOT be saved. Tough desitions will have to be made NOW! But as usual here, nobody wants the burden of responsiblity on ones shoulders.

As far as my research goes, there IS NO PLAN AND NO SCENARIO for such an event of 12 Mio. People getting flooded at nearly the same time. Which doesnt even include the other areas outside of Bangkok.! Very soon the rapid increase of patients suffering of diarea, dengue, hong kong foot and multiple flood related disease will mount ! Instead gettng started to face these livethreatening problems, witch soon will have to catch all attention, the government is tying to save the inner zones, witch, by my opinion CANNOT be saved. Tough desitions will have to be made NOW! But as usual here, nobody wants the burden of responsiblity on ones shoulders.

Well, this is the issue, if most of the area that isn't wet now, is likely to become partially inundated anyway, why prolong the agony?

What is hong kong foot? Does it mean your foot ends up looking like dim sum?