Pin Striping

DJH77

This type of cheap dress up of cars seems to not exist in Thailand so on a recent trip back to Oz i decided to buy some and also found that it was virtually obsolute there also. So after contacting 3M i was given the info of the only shop in Sydney that still carried the tape. The shop owner turned out to be a Vietnamese guy, one of the boat people when he was a kid, anyway he said that years ago they would do the cars in the saleyards by the dozens but that has all gone now and forgotten. So i brought back 6 x 45 meter rolls in Red, White and Black. I've put the 6mm - 2 line black down the side ridge line on my Pearl White Pajero GT and i think it looks terrific, it breaks the solid white up and shows off the lines of the car, just as it did in the 60's & 70's on Mustangs, Holden Monaro's and the first car i did back then, my 1966 Triumph TR4a, wish i still had that. Anyway if anybody is interested and are close enough to Mukdahan to make it worthwhile and want it done give me a call on 0810474781 and we'll see what can be arranged. On looking at google it seems that it is still very popular in the US and England with many sites to look at.B)

I can't remember the last time I saw pinstripes :D

Got any pics?

MRO I'm pretty useless at this computer stuff but i will get somebody to take some shots and post them in the next couple of days. Maybe you would also be interested in some AIB Brush work also. Yesterday i came up to a road with 6 police, 5 waved me through but 1 put his hand up for me to stop, so i did. He just pointed at the Hot Rod Style Flames i have on the Bonnet scoop and the sides and said Suwai Mr Don, if that how you spell beautiful, and waved me on. I've been stopped heaps of times just so they can look at talk about it. Completely the opposite to Oz where even when i was a young bloke if you had a flash car with something different about it, the cops would use that for a reason to chase you and give you a bad time.:lol:

oh shit I do

we always tryed to source factory new vehicles when we imported from Canada to Europe, but on occasions we got from dealers stock. With freaking pin stripes customers who had pre purchased didnt want, covered with clear coat.

except for that, I am sure its ok :)

oh shit I do

we always tryed to source factory new vehicles when we imported from Canada to Europe, but on occasions we got from dealers stock. With freaking pin stripes customers who had pre purchased didnt want, covered with clear coat.

When we did cars back then i don't think there was any such thing as clear coat but if you had that problem 3M actually sell a special brush for removing this type of problem but if it's just the tape it is easily removed.B)

oh shit I do

When we did cars back then i don't think there was any such thing as clear coat but if you had that problem 3M actually sell a special brush for removing this type of problem but if it's just the tape it is easily removed.B)

just tape is warm air and pull off, clean with solvent and wax. I remove all stickers this way from new cars and bikes here in TH. problem in the 90s was the clear coat sprayed on

In the UK you can buy it anywhere plus the roller thingy to do it :). It's cheap and can experiment and remove at will till you get it right. Good stuff. :D

I think the UK is kind of far to go for pinstripes................ ha ha ha

Not if your English ........... :D

I did some cars with this staff before...it makes a visible difference,if it's done right...I was just thinking about it,even before this topic started...if it's available and 3M still makes it,I will be interested...

Pinstriping mid 70's -80's everything S/H got striped along with whitewalls on XJ's & Rollers punters thought they looked great, little did they know the knife that cut them possibly also cut their paint, patently obvious six months later when they had large rusty barnicles on all the panels :annoyed: .

Pinstriping mid 70's -80's everything S/H got striped along with whitewalls on XJ's & Rollers punters thought they looked great, little did they know the knife that cut them possibly also cut their paint, patently obvious six months later when they had large rusty barnicles on all the panels :annoyed: .

"...it makes a visible difference,if it's done right...:rolleyes:"

Edited by funcat

Here its a big thing with classic Hot Rods , in fact when I go to the Mooneyes show I just take pictures of all the cool pinstripes ,

I have my cars done by a striper wo started in the 1960s , still lots of these guys around California ,

I have never seen it done in BKK, but I know the talent is there,

Does anyone know where to buy striping brushes in BKK ? I looked in Chinatown but just found the regukar painters brushes.

I would like to learn how to do it as a hobby , here you can get ANYTHING strioed including wallets ot toilet seats !

If anyone knows a source of brushes in Thailand or another cheap place please let me know ,

they are pretty expensive here.

BK

They must have been very heavy handed or maybe Butchers, It trims very easily.

I did some cars with this staff before...it makes a visible difference,if it's done right...I was just thinking about it,even before this topic started...if it's available and 3M still makes it,I will be interested...

If your in the North East i can help you, if not you could buy on the net.

• 2 weeks later...

Got any pics?

MRO, I hope this works. here a few pics.

Well, DJH I gotta say I'm a bit f'n speechless!

Here I was expecting to see a couple of pinstripes to break-up the monotony of the side, but what I'm actually seeing is the Paj from Hell! LOL! :D

Brilliant! ;)

Will keep the B&B in mind next time I'm in the area BTW..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Got any pics?

MRO, I hope this works. here a few pics.

Well, DJH I gotta say I'm a bit f'n speechless!

Here I was expecting to see a couple of pinstripes to break-up the monotony of the side, but what I'm actually seeing is the Paj from Hell! LOL! :D

Brilliant! ;)

Will keep the B&B in mind next time I'm in the area BTW..

Glad you like it. I have a few questions that i want to ask you so how can i contact you. My Mob. 0810474781. Please send me message or give me a call.

Has no one noticed the D. Max version of a Pin Stripe. Its done with a Lotus Paint Roller , straight down the middle , sort of Sixties Boy Racer Style. Im told the Air Brush guys who do the fancy VIP Coaches will do it for you . Those Pics get my vote , nice balance.coffee1.gif

Thanks mate, the air brush work was done by a bloke in Pattaya who does Bikes and Crash Helmets if anybody is interesed, pretty good job, cost 20k, I hate to think what it would cost in Oz or USA, 4 days work, probably 2 to 3k in d0llars.

I hit the Jackpot in Chiang Mai!!!!!!!!!! There is a small auto accessories shop about 100 meters North from the corner of Chang Lor Road and Kotchasan Road near Lai-Thai Guest House named Chaipattanayont. There number is 0-5327-2562. They have just about every color and size of Pin stripping. I bought a 3/8 in. x 30 ft. roll for 160 Baht. They will even ship anywhere in Thailand for only the cost of EMS. The owner said if you buy enough then shipping is free. Very nice people and there is someone who speaks and understands English quite well.