Danger From The Flood Emerges As Deadly Green Mambas Escape

webfact

Man, I would like to know who this idiot is that raising these Green Mamba. It's look like he is going to sell it or sell it's venom. Thai Press should put out his photos and phone number so we know who the idiot is. As far as I'm concern he just lost his right for privacy.

Wont help. Do you really think this is THE ONLY case? The only case REPORTED maybe. Who knows how many reptile freaks like me( only have Phytons and paradise snakes) are within 12 Mio. People and what kind of creatures they host? Nobody has any idea. I live on Koh Samui , population about 50 000 . I personally know 15 holders here. Thats just me. My snakes are 'locals' from my land and NOT venomous. People should learn, that cobras are no threat for people, unless attact. They warn a lot before attacking and even their FIRST bite usually is NOT deadly for humans, as the first-bite injection of venoum for non prey is usually very minor. Dont mess with them, leave them space to escape and you will not have a problem with them. Open the door, take a long stick or a broom and direct them out. If thy hide some place, use any kind of conzentrated alcohol in a watersprayer and spray on snake towards escaperoute. If bitten make photo of snake if you can or kill, make SHURE ITS DEAD, put in a bag and take with you to hospital for id. DO NOT PANIC! MOVE VERY SLOW! Wash out wound asap. Block bloodflow tight obove biten limb. Reduce block every 5 Minutes for a little wile then tighten again. WALK SLOWLY AND TRY TO RELAX! Better is beeing carried. Avoid unnecessary moves. Go straight to nearest hospital. Do NOT FORGET PHOTO OR SNAKE!

Edited by BinDhumm

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are the chances of actually catching all of these? I hope no one has a bad encounter with these things. And shouldn't they fly the serum in from south America now as there is a good chance it will be needed soon.

Maybe they should have it already.

It doesn't say why these snakes were in the building but There doesn't seem to be much planning in place for these problems. I admit this is unusual but whenever there are floods crocodiles escape from a farm somewhere which seems to take everyone by surprise.

I must be missing something here.

Venomous snakes are pretty much everywhere in Thailand and no-one worries that much - they're there, so be cautious when walking through long grass etc.

Perhaps there aren't deadly snakes in Bangkok?

I think possibly they meant that the anti-venom has to come from South Africa as this is where the snakes originate from. They are not foound in South America. They are far less aggressive than the famed black Mamba and are typically shy. What is more concerning is the fact that Thailand ia absolutely perfect habitat and temperature wise for these snakes and there is a real danger they will now multiply making a previously alien species endemic to Thailand. I also believe any poly valent anti serum produced for Cobra's, which is also a neurotoxic venom can be used while waiting for the mono valent mamba specific anti venom to arrive...from South Africa.

No problem since they don't have a work permit, kick them out.LOL

Venomous snakes are pretty much everywhere in Thailand and no-one worries that much - they're there, so be cautious when walking through long grass etc.

There are plenty of them in Bangkok, usually livng in parks but mainly in sewer canals. If they flood, they come up....and snakes are VERY GOOD SWIMMERS! If stressed somebecome more agressiv. Wear shoes or boots and long strong pants when wading the waters and carry a stick to defend if necessary. Avoid to BEAT the snake in the water because little effect if close up and rises agression just push away with the stick and watch until disappeated. Do not dip it under water to try to drown it. Drowning snakes become EXTREMLY AGRESSIV!

What are the chances of actually catching all of these? I hope no one has a bad encounter with these things. And shouldn't they fly the serum in from south America now as there is a good chance it will be needed soon.

Don't you think you expect a bit too much planning in advance?

Situation

Mambas

complete confuse troubled situation

a lot people in the area

flying in serum is very cheap in compare to emergency treatment and emergency flying in and may save lifes.

What would be Thai official/politician do?

Nothing because no one is bite yet.

how can they make money doing things that only makes sense ?

As far as I understood: these are african snakes and there is no anti-serum available in Thailand as per now.

Fly it in NOW? But that would be proactive! Hold your tongue, sir!

These snakes are not native to South America but Southern Africa, so the news is probably wrong as usual.

The antivenom should be coming from South Africa, Kenya etc. However, as I recall there was, and still maybe, a venomous snake centre at Chulalungkorn Hospital Rama IV Rd where all the snake anti venoms should be available. Having said that, Green Mambas live in trees and tend to avoid humans, unless you climb a tree you are safe. I do not understand all the fuss about a few tree snakes, when there a thousands of venomous native snakes slithering around the Moo Bahns in Bangkok. Plenty of these snakes swim, probably to get away from the Essarn people trying to catch them for the cooking pot.

I stand to be corrected but green mambas are native to East Africa so <deleted> would they be getting anti-venom from South America for....lost in the translation again....may be should read South Africa ?

Brazil has a unique institution in the state of São Paulo: the Butantã, as it is known internationally in the medical field.

Butantã not only researches and develops new approaches to treat most snake bites in the world, but it also has thousands upon thousands of different types of serum/antidotes stored and provided free of charge to any hospital worldwide.

Unfortunately, most tropical countries such a Thailand, for generations, have preferred to live with the risk of death by venom toxin than to invest in a facility to store antidotes for species known to live in the country.

If Thailand has never, never seriously in decades of terrible floods (I was here in 1995) have summoned the wisdom and know-how of Holland to rid the country of the devastating effects of the floods, what can we expect of the Thai governments in the 21th. century?

There has been a snake bite and venom research centre at Chulalongkorn University Hospital Rama IV which was established in 1947. I thought this was common knowledge especially as there was a bit of fuss in the past about the dangers should their snakes escape during Bangkok floods.

Since death occurs within 25 minutes, antivenom will not help you unless you are carrying it with you when bitten!

Plenty, even in my moo bahn near Seacon Square. Fortunately we have a few giant lizards (Komodo Dragons) that like to eat snakes.

Edited by Estrada

Nonthaburi governor orders hunting of green mamba snakes

Nonthaburi Governor Wichien Phutthiwinyu Thursday assigned a team to hunt for the 15 green mamba snakes, the fatally venomous snakes that went on loose from a flooded home in Pakkred district.

Saying that it wasn’t confirmed if one of the snakes has already been captured, Wichien urged people who saw the long yellowish green snakes not to try to capture or kill the snakes themselves because the serum for their venom weren’t available in Thailand.

He urged the people to call the hotline 1131 or 1363 for officials to dispatch well-equipped experts to capture them.

Earlier in the day, a widely-circulated tweet said a green mamba was found on Soi Kosumruamjai.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-03

Nonthaburi governor orders hunting of green mamba snakes

Nonthaburi Governor Wichien Phutthiwinyu Thursday assigned a team to hunt for the 15 green mamba snakes, the fatally venomous snakes that went on loose from a flooded home in Pakkred district.

Saying that it wasn’t confirmed if one of the snakes has already been captured, Wichien urged people who saw the long yellowish green snakes not to try to capture or kill the snakes themselves because the serum for their venom weren’t available in Thailand.

He urged the people to call the hotline 1131 or 1363 for officials to dispatch well-equipped experts to capture them.

Earlier in the day, a widely-circulated tweet said a green mamba was found on Soi Kosumruamjai.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-03

I still cannot understand the panic about these 15! Snakes. There are thousands of vipers and kraits out there, witch are as poisoness as the mambas. If you do not LIVE in a hospital who knows EXCACTLY what kind of snake bit you and has the right antivenoum at hand your chances to survive their bites are as low as the mamba bites. BIG PUBLIC RELATION HERE!

The best thing would be buy SAWYER EXTRACTOR (can google it) which is a small device that looks like a syringe. It's used to suck out the poison in case of snakebites...we bought it from www.amazon.com last year.

Oh dear!!!!! They are giving out the wrong information to treat a snake bite.

Firstly NEVER wash the bite area. Its the bite area that can show what type of snake bit you. Then you will know what type of anti venom should be used. The wrong anti venom can cause death. Secondly you have to put a constrictive bandage directly to the bite area and extending as far a possible up the limb. (If bite was not on a limb then its obviuos.... Your in big trouble.)

This is 1 site that has it right, http://www.snake-awa...way-services/1/

If these snakes are now loose and in the wild they should be getting the anti venom here in Thailand immediatly. These snakes are very nervous and highly aggressive. Not to mention extremely fast.

The other issue is that these snakes might thrive in the Thailand country side. This can have a massive ecological disaster for Thailand. Just look at what Burmese Pythons are doing to the Southern states of the USA.

I stand to be corrected but green mambas are native to East Africa so <deleted> would they be getting anti-venom from South America for....lost in the translation again....may be should read South Africa ?

Brazil has a unique institution in the state of São Paulo: the Butantã, as it is known internationally in the medical field.

Butantã not only researches and develops new approaches to treat most snake bites in the world, but it also has thousands upon thousands of different types of serum/antidotes stored and provided free of charge to any hospital worldwide.

Unfortunately, most tropical countries such a Thailand, for generations, have preferred to live with the risk of death by venom toxin than to invest in a facility to store antidotes for species known to live in the country.

If Thailand has never, never seriously in decades of terrible floods (I was here in 1995) have summoned the wisdom and know-how of Holland to rid the country of the devastating effects of the floods, what can we expect of the Thai governments in the 21th. century?

Heres what you can expect from the Thai govt in the 21st century, same same but different. :-)

Imported anti-venom serum for Green Mamba snakebites arriving Friday

image_20111103180622691BB27F-D6D6-E7CE-CB0A27A94CB31A86.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 3 – An imported serum antidote to counter snakebites from green mamba snakes, of which the original birthplace is in Africa, is to arrive Thailand Friday, according to the Ministry of Public Health.

News about the escape of the venomous snakes has been circulating on social media websites since Wednesday.

As a precautionary measure, Health Minister Wittaya Buranasiri said his agency ordered the serum after 15 poisonous green mamba snakes, with body lengths of 1-2 metres, had reportedly escaped via floodwater from a house in Nonthaburi province.

No patients in Thailand have been found bitten by this reptile, he said, while asking the public not to panic.

If bitten by a serpent, the victim is advised to notice fang marks. Poisonous snakes leave 1-2 fang holes, while innoxious or harmless snakes leave only teeth marks or signs of laceration and bruising without holes.

The public health ministry currently reserves 3,500 bottles of seven kinds of serum especially for use during flooding situations according to the types of snakes commonly found in each part of the country – the cobra, king cobra, banded krait, Malayan krait, Siamese Russell's viper, Malayan Pit viper and green pit viper.

Meanwhile, the ministry's permanent secretary Dr Paichit Varachit said the green pit viper is found countrywide. Its body is smaller and shorter than green mamba, while its poison harms a victim's blood causing pain and swollen bruises.

The poison from green mamba affects a human's nervous system which leads to death. Symptoms include somnolence, bodily weakness, paralysis, difficulties to breathe and stopping breathing. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-03

Ah...don't worry about the snakes...they will be eaten by the crocodiles!

And it is well known the crocs escaped from captivity cannot survive in the wild more than 2 months... So be patient!!

Shouldn't we wait for the sharks, you mean?!

the sharks are already there, we have not to wait....plenty of sharks in the political arena, but unfortunately not the good specie: they are unable to solve any issue except their own wealth!!!

I think possibly they meant that the anti-venom has to come from South Africa as this is where the snakes originate from. They are not foound in South America. They are far less aggressive than the famed black Mamba and are typically shy. What is more concerning is the fact that Thailand ia absolutely perfect habitat and temperature wise for these snakes and there is a real danger they will now multiply making a previously alien species endemic to Thailand. I also believe any poly valent anti serum produced for Cobra's, which is also a neurotoxic venom can be used while waiting for the mono valent mamba specific anti venom to arrive...from South Africa.

Agreed that that there should be some concern as these Little Buggers could adapt to Thailand quite nicely. The climate isn't much different than East Africa and they like to eat young birds, bird eggs, frogs, rodents, and other small mammals which are plentiful here. Why someone would bring something like that here, and then not insure it could never excape alive is beyond me.

Not sure how powerful its' venom is but his cousin, the Black Mamba from West Africa, is 5 times more potent then a King Cobra and also the fastest snake in the world, out slithering and running human. The mortality rate of a Black Mamba Bite is 100%. It has killed and adult elephant and when you compare your weight to an elephant, well, you just don't have a chance. You have less than 30 minutes left of your life if you get bit so I personally wouldn't worry about them getting anti-venom shipped in unless you can carry one in your front pocket, or get bit at the hospital that has it.

A Black Mamba once bit seven villagers in a row who were trying to kill it. They succeeded but the last villager who got bit was the last one to die. He lasted 90 minutes. Although the Green Mamba is not as aggressive, and lives mostly in trees, it is still deadly and can still bite. They don't even have any real natural predators. Instead of anti-venom they should import some Egytian Mongoose, or is it Mongeese? At lease they will eat there eggs and small ones although toe to toe with an adult they can hold there own. Interesting to see how this all develops in a few years.

There is also a similar looking snake indigenous to Thailand which (in English) is called a Bamboo Viper which is also poisonous.

Many years ago when I lived in the Silom area, we found one of these curled up inside a potted plant in my living room!

As posted by me before. The picture shown here IS a bamboo viper NOT a mamba. If you are bit by one of these green mambas, VENOUM WILL NOT HELP YOU, UNLESS YOU HAVE IT IN YOUR POCKET! For buddhas sake! It makes NO SENSE AT ALL TO IMPORT THIS SERUM! It just makes people to FEEL safer. SORRY, I handle snakes in my house for a long time, but THIS IS STUPID! To hunt for them is also very difficult, as they might be 10 cm away from you in any bush , tree or green and you would not even notice it. even then only experts woul be able to identify them.

Be careful not to be bitten because there was no serum available in Thailand at present to counteract their venom. UNBELIEVABLE - they keep those killers and have no serum available. Mai Pen Rai - who cares, there are already too many people in Thailand....In the West, if you have such you also must have serum in case of things go bad, but in the ASIA the life doesn´t cost any. Only good snake is a dead snake!

Edited by Yeppe

Green mambas

https://www.google.com/search?q=green+mambas+snake&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Vwy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=601&prmd=imvnsu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=mp-yTpDcBMnQiAKdicFw&ved=0CFkQsAQ

Green bamboo viper

https://www.google.com/search?q=green+bamboo+viper&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Oyy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=D6CyTrqRAajaiQK4tuF5&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=601&sei=%20FaCyTp2dD4qfiQK4r6R0

Do you think people can easily distinguish the species just by looking at the pictures?

However, the mambas are making highlights on TV.... be careful.

What individual/organization would be in possession of these deadly snakes here in Thailand? If it was a research project, did other varieties of snake escape? They mention they escaped from a flooded building, did they swim out? Much more info could be given to people as to likely habitat for the snakes to go to, normal range, etc.

Is this a mating pair and their 13 babies? What is the purpose of having a supply of this snake venom? Who funded this research? Why were not funds provided to bring in the antidote as well? What do they eat and how often? Are these snakes normally at the top of their food chain? If not, who are their predators? What is the probability that they will stop breeding now that they in their element and as free as free can be?