Tourist Confusion Rampant, Say Thai Hoteliers

george

From the comments of some of the posters, it seems that the only referral centres for all tourists are a)Patpong at Silom and B) Nana at Sukhumvit! I really wonder what trash TAT is attracting to this country and also the quality of certain expats here. I really hope that the whores and also the clients at these trashy areas all simply drown! Thailand really needs a good cleansing.

(PS: I am not a Christian!)

No...i could tell you what you are, but I like posting here!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The administration has little credibility. They persevere   in trying to convince the world that it'll all be ok. You can gild a turd and tell people it's a gold brick. Works for the locals, sadly it doesn't wash with the rest of the world.

Meanwhile TAT is a job club for well connected hisos, expecting anything like commercial common sense is a bit of a stretch.

It's still not clear whether Swampy airport is safe. This is the government that said Bangkok was safe. Leadership in the land of smiles is a factor of birth and the ability to carve up the 20% take. As another poster said, why should a family who have saved all year have confidence to trust their time and money to these people?

If the tourist industry thinks things are bad now wait till summer 2012. Its that period just after Xmas when many people start to look around for holiday deals for the summer. Thailand's floods, probable disease to come, won't put it top of many tourists lists, especially the family tourists its so keen to attract.

The rapid disintegration of the Euro won't help either.

Greece could be top of the hit parade if it leaves the Euro and reverts to a much devalued drachma....if only Thailand would do the same for the baht :rolleyes:

If the tourist industry thinks things are bad now wait till summer 2012. Its that period just after Xmas when many people start to look around for holiday deals for the summer. Thailand's floods, probable disease to come, won't put it top of many tourists lists, especially the family tourists its so keen to attract.

The rapid disintegration of the Euro won't help either.

Greece could be top of the hit parade if it leaves the Euro and reverts to a much devalued drachma....if only Thailand would do the same for the baht :rolleyes:

We are VERY aware of this.

Not sure if this is related to Thailand arrivals - i just booked a weekend in KL. Flight on TG showing virtually empty on seat plan and Mandarin Oriental offering a stay one night, second night free including wifi, room upgrade, breakfast and an afternoon tea for two for about 6300 baht including tax for the two nights.

Cheaper to stay in KL than Bangkok........

don't know what TAT is doing, but some hotels are out there promoting now, this link just came from Bangkok Air and Marriott...

hotel deals

I could exactly tell you what they are doing...or not doing!

But since I work in "the industry", I would rather not do that publicly...

It's a cheap deal to pressure sell a timeshare. Read the conditions - married couples only/over30 and must attend a "90 minute" sales presentation.

In spite of doing everything possible to discourage tourism, business keeps going in Thailand. Limited English when you need it, murdered and disappeared tourists, coups, airport closures, price gouging, rip offs, Tsunami, a natural disaster, massive political demonstrations and services disruption, and the current natural disaster illuminated by decades of mismanagement and disparity of justice and rights between ordinary people and business class feudal elite. You have to ask why and how. Let's say the tourism sector represents 6% of the total $300 Billion USD, as figures I've seen used by Thai higher ups and conoscenti. So that would mean roughly $18-20 USD as a total pie. First, we don't know for sure what the Thais count as elements of "tourism revenue." Let's be fair and say that a portion of airfares, airport taxes, taxis, tuk tuks, BTS, on the ground tour guides, hotels, and restaurants make up a large slice. What we don't know is how much of MICE revenue is counted as "tourism" for example. So the point is, we don't know how the Thais are counting the beans that end up in the tourist bucket to make up that $18-20 Billion USD.

Why would tourists come to Thailand now when it is struck with a human disaster of monumental scale disease, contamination and confusion and soon chaos? The answer is simple. Generally speaking, a very large amount of money coming from tourists goes in to feeding the sex and let's say "non-traditional entertainment" in and around Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket. So do the Thais count the airfares, hotels, taxis, airport taxes and so on for all the sex tourists whether they are planeloads from China, Mongolia, Korea, and Japan, or just onesies and twosies from Europe, Australia, Russia, Middle East, and the US as part of the "tourism" bucket? We don't actually know how Thais do accounting, and they don't want us to know the details. We have to assume that the major segment of "Hoteliers" complaining are those around Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket, known, proven, and very visible sex trade destinations. Therefore, the Hoteliers are clearly messaging the government that by not promoting safe travel to these destinations, that many different layers of the substantial Thai "black economy" , government official, police, army, and independent businesses will suffer hardship if these key sex trade destinations aren't promoted properly. And don't forget all the illegitimate enterprises, such as pirated movies, music, clothes, watches..etc., the peripheral businesses to the sex trade, including the illegal drug trade which provides plenty of skim to all levels of Thai economy including real estate.

Many people have many ideas on the total expenditure made as the result of the sex trade and "non-traditional" entertainment. Very strong sources would support anywhere from 4% to 10% of Thai GDP resulting from sex trade and illegal merchandise. So if a tourist comes here for sex and spends money on sex, drinks in entertainment venues, massage (more often a code word for sex), and taxis to run around in, what portion of this money ends up in the Thai tourism bucket? We don't know the accurate answers to all these questions, but we know it's a substantial amount of money. We don't know how much of the tourism bucket comes from three, four and five star hotel lounges that front for freelance sex trade. But we do know that the Thai Hoteliers are very supportive of the sex trade and need "tourists" very much because it is the girls who make the non-manufacturing segments of the Thai economy go around. A very large segment of the overall Thai economy makes its money on the back of the girls. So the Hoteliers represent the girls to a large extent in wanting to promote that Thailand is open for business. Thailand Hoteliers should be very grateful to the girls, they bring the tourists, who in turn bring the money, which pays the salaries, and shops for all that merchandise. Hats off to the girls, the real backbone of Thailand and the right hand of the Hoteliers.

As much as I know about the flood situations and where it affects, I would not visit Thailand at this time. This is from a tourist's perspective.

Living here in Thailand it is hard enough to know exactly what it going on regards the floods. I do not blame any tourist for not wanting to come here. Add to that the chaos of food and water shortages it is a crazy situation. To top it all off very few people have any real ideas what is happening to the transport network either.

Best of to anyone travelling.

If that sounds like doom and gloom to some reading this, tough. I would stay away until some semblance of normality returns.

From the comments of some of the posters, it seems that the only referral centres for all tourists are a)Patpong at Silom and B) Nana at Sukhumvit! I really wonder what trash TAT is attracting to this country and also the quality of certain expats here. I really hope that the whores and also the clients at these trashy areas all simply drown! Thailand really needs a good cleansing.

(PS: I am not a Christian!)

No...i could tell you what you are, but I like posting here!

I'll second that, this guy sounds like he needs serious help, very very disturbing person after reading some of his posts here

I find it very difficult to feel sorry for hoteliers who have compounded the problem by building their high rise hotels on reclaimed or filled in land and canals and contributed to the restrictions on the easy flow of water to the sea.

ourladyoffatima1.jpg

A model of excellence or perfection of a kind; a peerless example: A veritable paragon of virtue

Enough of the Yingluck photos please. :rolleyes:

I said it before, I'll say it again: a good joke, is a good joke!cheesy.gif

1:31pm AOT confident with flood prevention at Suvarnabhumi Airport & ready to relocate in 5 airports if emergency ~ @thaiflood

hmmm .... ready to relocate etc etc .... doesn't sound like they are really THAT confident ...

"ready to relocate in 5 airports if emergency" - what does this mean? where/what are the five airports?

My advice to tourist, Simply stay away until atleast next year.

There are so many shortages and closures. Tourist only add to the problems.

No detour signs in English and no help from Government officalls

Repairs will take months to get things back in order just like in Phuket years back

your life and safety are really at risk.

Repairs will take months to get things back in order just like in Phuket years back

Sorry, but I would call that really bad advice. The livelihood for many depends on tourists and much of the tourists destinations happen to not be in the flood zone. if tourism drops, a lot of people suffer.

As for recovery, some things will take time, however, once the water is gone, many places will bounce back into functional shape in a matter of days, not months.

Just noticed that the baht is again rising against sterling. What the frack is going on?

Certainly not going to make tourists rush over!

The SET is still at 957, condominium prices are still going up-I tell you this is the most invincible economy of all.

In Shanghai China they are slashing condominium prices by 25 to 30% but here it is only up up up :blink:

Sorry, but I would call that really bad advice. The livelihood for many depends on tourists and much of the tourists destinations happen to not be in the flood zone. if tourism drops, a lot of people suffer.

As for recovery, some things will take time, however, once the water is gone, many places will bounce back into functional shape in a matter of days, not months.

I think it is good advice. Stay away for now or atleast until December. Whoever travels to Bangkok now is not in for a good time.

I think it is good advice. Stay away for now or atleast until December. Whoever travels to Bangkok now is not in for a good time.

To be a bit more clear, I am not suggesting that tourists take the CP river boat cruise ... I agree that Bangkok itself, now, would not be the best choice, but...

The BKK airport is open and domestic flights go to great tourist destinations. International travelers with connections will never see the floods. This is a very good idea. Good for Thailand, good for the tourists.

Regarding December, the holiday season is really important for the tourism industry, so yes, I hope that people will be coming in December, too. (at least!) :D

I rarely agreew with tlansford on anything besides time of day,

but in this case I agree with him.

There are plenty of places water free, and with few gross long term shortages. Certainly not enough to ruin a vacation because you didn't get the right cut of meat for dinner.

Coming to Thailand is either

High End, and those places will still be high end, maybe with a truncated menue.

The other scheme is backpacker or rough n tumble

and both of these groups will have a fine time in much of the country. As long as busses and trains are not your primary mode of transport.

Minivans will get from A-B.

Main point is 'The Country Needs Tourist Money NOW', not next year.

If it was so bad I'd have left for Malaysia. Ain't close to that by far.

If you are willing to forgo a few amenities then you can help the Thai peoples lives and general economy, and have a fine time too.

Edited by animatic

Much more than bad advices, utter nonsense.................from JM to make clear.

Edited by philw

I rarely agreew with tlansford on anything besides time of day,

but in this case I agree with him.

There are plenty of places water free, and with few gross long term shortages. Certainly not enough to ruin a vacation because you didn't get the right cut of meat for dinner.

Coming to Thailand is either

High End, and those places will still be high end, maybe with a truncated menue.

The other scheme is backpacker or rough n tumble

and both of these groups will have a fine time in much of the country. As long as busses and trains are not your primary mode of transport.

Minivans will get from A-B.

Main point is 'The Country Needs Tourist Money NOW', not next year.

If it was so bad I'd have left for Malaysia. Ain't close to that by far.

If you are willing to forgo a few amenities then you can help the Thai peoples lives and general economy, and have a fine time too.

Likewise, rarely agree with you Animatic but on this you are dead right.

The show goes on and it's still a good one.........

Cholera or dysentery would really make a tourists day.

That is the usual result of flooding and contaminated water.

Stay away until it's all over and fixed.

Exactly right. Anyone who does come in the near future may well regret it. Limited areas to see and , there will be the dieases that will follow the flood.

With respect, what is it with people making these statements about people's livelihood?

There are so many things wrong with these statements.

1. Are tourists expendable?

You would have people come over and be put in harms way or face having a terrible, unpredictable time? At the very least, tourist will feel some general malaise in the population as so many people are affected.

2. What of the assumption that all tourists visit Thailand PRIMARILY to support people who rely on tourism??? That's such an odd assumption, man. I love the idea of helping 'people less fortunate', but I have NEVER gone anywhere PRIMARILY because I wanted to support someone who I anticipated was worse off. I mean, how the heck would I even know who's worse off? I mean absent someone's financial statement, I can't know if they are worse off or better off, right?

3. Just because some tourist spots are not in the flood zone at present, is that the only variable you would use to judge the feasibility of a trip? I know it can't be. The crisis is still unfolding and bearing down on the political and economic capital of the country. There are food and water sanitation and distribution issues. What happens IF the main airport gets hit and if a bunch of tourists need to get out? At a bare minimum, it will be a nightmare for them. What of the potential health risks with this disgusting, fetid water?

Would you tell someone you love or care for very deeply to visit Thailand now or to hold off until some time in the future?

Tourists are NOT expendable, and I tire of seeing people encouraging them to come here while this absolute mess of a national disaster is unfolding.