Google Chrome set to overtake rival Firefox in terms of usage

News_Editor

Google Chrome set to overtake rival Firefox in terms of usage

2011-11-04 07:20:39 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- Web browser Google Chrome continues to expand its market share and is, for the first time, close to overtaking Mozilla's Firefox, according to new figures released on Thursday. Microsoft's Internet Explorer, meanwhile, continues to lose users.

Updated figures released by StatCounter, which analyzes web traffic, show that Chrome's global market share increased to 25.08 percent at the start of November, a significant increase from the 13.35 percent it had in November 2010.

Firefox, which was the biggest rival of Internet Explorer until Chrome launched in September 2008, saw its market share drop from 31.17 percent in November 2010 to 26.08 percent this month, only one percent more than Chrome.

Although Internet Explorer remains the browser with the most users, both Firefox and Chrome have caused Internet Explorer's market share to plummet from 68.57 percent in July 2008 to 40.6 percent this month. The browser is included as part of Microsoft Windows, which may explain why it remains a key player.

If the current trend continues, Chrome is likely to surpass Firefox within weeks and become the second most popular browser in terms of usage. The fourth most used browser is Safari with a market share of 5.93 percent, followed by Opera's 1.81 percent.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-11-04

Let's not lose track of who the real enemy is :P

InternetExplorerIcon.jpg

I'm not exactly enthralled with FF these days, but not unhappy enough to leave... yet.

+1, love Firefox but switching to Chrome ........ nah not yet ... too much of a Big Brother is watching you feeling ;)

I was using Chrome for my default browser and have now switched back to Firefox. I like Firefox a little better because of all the add ons that are available. Actually I could use either one and be happy.

InternetExplorerIcon.jpg

I'm not exactly enthralled with FF these days, but not unhappy enough to leave... yet.

I left when I couldn't stand the memory leak anymore. When are they going to fix it? It's been several versions already.

InternetExplorerIcon.jpg

I left when I couldn't stand the memory leak anymore. When are they going to fix it? It's been several versions already.

Have you used Firefox 7 ?? And adding more memory is cheap :lol:

http://hothardware.com/News/Mozilla-to-Get-a-Grip-on-Memory-Leak-Issues-in-Firefox-7/

http://www.cravingtech.com/how-to-fix-firefox-memory-leak.html

InternetExplorerIcon.jpg

Memory Fox https://addons.mozil...ory-fox/?src=ss

It's like a whole different browser.

Before Memory Fox it would use up to 1gb of RAM, now it's 100-150kb

Why is Internet Explorer the enemy? If you don't like it, don't use it. I have changed back to Firefox from Chrome as my default browser. Most computers today have enough RAM that IF FF uses more, it is not noticeable. My old computer had three GIG and my new one has four GIG.

Switched to Comodo Dragon, a Chrome build, with Comodo security features built in. Chrome plug-ins and extensions work fine, and it is quite fast and stable.

Recommended.

I'm going to take a look at this. Thanks. Presently I use Chrome as my default with Opera my secondary..Opera has a great rss feature. Firefox is becoming a bit too much for me.

Edited by craig

Memory Fox https://addons.mozil...ory-fox/?src=ss

It's like a whole different browser.

Before Memory Fox it would use up to 1gb of RAM, now it's 100-150kb

I tried Memory Fox and was a bit confused by the memory used by Firefox.

Before enabling Memory Fox, the figure shown under "Mem Usage" on the "Processes" tab in Task Manager was 347,543K and the figure shown as "Total Commit Charge" on the "Performance" tab in Task Manager was 788,420.

After enabling Memory Fox, the figure shown under "Mem Usage" on the "Processes" tab in Task Manager had fallen to 5,651 (a large decrease), but the figure shown as "Total Commit Charge" on the "Performance" tab in Task Manager was 790,123 (roughly the same).

This seems to indicate that Memory Fox was not freeing memory from Firefox, it was merely forcing Firefox to use the paging file on the hard disk, rather than RAM. If this is the case, then Firefox would be slightly slower and the wear on the hard disk would be increased.

I'm no expert in this, and this is just how I interpret the figures. If anyone can offer a better explanation, please do so.