What Is The Better Way To Travel From Bkk To Phuket?

eddyxwb

I will be vacationing in Thailand for three weeks in June and I need help. What is the best way to travel from Bangkok to Phuket? I was thinking about taking overnight train to Phuket but I am not sure how long it will take me.

In addition, is it cheaper to take the bus or train? I wouldn't mind flying there but trying to be conservative a little. My destination will be Ayuthaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Ko Samui, and other cities.

Any information would be very helpful. Will be flying from California to Bangkok.

Thanks

http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/ on line train booking

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm more info for trains in Thailand

second class sleeper around $25

trains can be a lot of fun and scenic, also you will save on a nights accommodation

Maybe so, but think about the hassle. Arriving at Suvanaphumi, taxi to city, finding a hotel, taxi to trainstation,finding a bus from Surat to Phuket. :rolleyes:

"Maybe so, but think about the hassle. Arriving at Suvanaphumi, taxi to city, finding a hotel, taxi to trainstation,finding a bus from Surat to Phuket. :rolleyes:"

I guess the Bangkok to Russia train in that link is not for you ?:)

OP said he wants to go BKK-Phuket so he would be in BKK already.

Of course the best option is to fly from home town straight to Phuket Internatinal

"Maybe so, but think about the hassle. Arriving at Suvanaphumi, taxi to city, finding a hotel, taxi to trainstation,finding a bus from Surat to Phuket. :rolleyes:"

I guess the Bangkok to Russia train in that link is not for you ?:)

OP said he wants to go BKK-Phuket so he would be in BKK already.

Of course the best option is to fly from home town straight to Phuket Internatinal

OP also said " Will be flying from California to Bangkok" meaning he will be at Suvanaphumi and can take a flight to Phuket. Not sure if he can do a direct flight California-Phuket. :)

Thanks, what about train to Surat Thani and then take the bus to Phuket? Or you would recommend Thai Airway is a better route?

Check other airlines prices quoted by Vayama over the Xmas period Bangkok to Krabi return:

1/ Air Asia $179.00

2/ Thai Air $325.00

Thanks, what about train to Surat Thani and then take the bus to Phuket? Or you would recommend Thai Airway is a better route?

Check other airlines prices quoted by Vayama over the Xmas period Bangkok to Krabi return:

1/ Air Asia $179.00

2/ Thai Air $325.00

Sorry forgot to add those prices are for 3 adults/

Thanks for all of your inputs and I appreciated greatly. We wants to spend couple days in Phuket only and the rest will probably be in Bangkok.

Semper, you are right. It may be much easier flying to Phuket. It may cost little more but I think it is better to sit in a plane for one hour rather then ten hours in the train.

I will discuss this with my families and see what is best for us. There might be four or five persons altogether in this trip so I am trying to gather some info of which direction is best suited for us.

Taking a plane will be less than any other options when all is said and done if you book your ticket a week or so in advance. Air Asia I think is under 1400 baht right now one way. I would imagine a bus is near the same and you still need to do transfers and stuff if you take the train. Taking a plane will also save you on all the food and other items you will need to spend on a day long trip. Plus you will have more enjoyable time to spend there as opposed to wasting an entire day and night getting there and probably needing time to recoup from the bus or train ride.

Not in Phuket itself, but if you have the time then a day drip round the adjacent Phang Nga Bay is terrific.

ps do not hire a jet ski. It probably would be OK, but some jet ski operators are known to claim tourists have damaged the jet skis, when really the damage is old.

My destination will be Ayuthaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Ko Samui, and other cities.

Dear,

Best start is Bangkok, the big city. Check for a hotel close to the BTS and your choice of places to visit. The visits can be done by local transportation if you prepare well. A local driver with private car may be the most confortable (if you desire I use myself a correct, well English speaking driver who knows his country by hard).

Ayuthaya can be visited from Bankok.

BKK - Chiang Mai by plane. I advise AirAsia, new fleet & good prices. The best price with early booking, you might be surprised. Visit Chiang Mai with local transportation.

For your beach destination check carefully for the weather. Phuket usualy has early rainy season. Ko Samui is the better option. Both are best reachable by plane. From Chiang Mai You will have a stop over for both in BKK. For Koh Samui you will land in Surat Thani. That is Mainland but a short stroll from the ferry were you can find transporttaion to the island.

You will sure have a wonderfull time in the land of smiles.

Yours sincerly, JeanElie.

Why are you guys demotivating him of riding a bus or a train?

To the OP, if you have time to spend, go for it. It is a good way to experience the country. True, there is a bit more a hassle to it than taking an airplane, but it is fun. Not to mention the ride will cost you at least a half (if not a quarter) of the price of a plane ticket. If you choose to take a bus, and that's true to any destination in Thailand, make sure to take the public bus, and not any private owned or those that TAT arrange you with (like I did in the first time and regret it). The average price for a bus trip BKK-CM or BKK-PKT should be 600-900 baht (to get to Phuket you need two buses). BKK-CM is around 10-11 hours trip and to Phuket twice as that. Oh, and you get a stop to eat a Thai style meal (included). The train is also fun.

Either way you choose, enjoy your trip :)

To the OP, if you have time to spend, go for it. It is a good way to experience the country. True, there is a bit more a hassle to it than taking an airplane, but it is fun. Not to mention the ride will cost you at least a half (if not a quarter) of the price of a plane ticket. If you choose to take a bus, and that's true to any destination in Thailand, make sure to take the public bus, and not any private owned or those that TAT arrange you with (like I did in the first time and regret it). The average price for a bus trip BKK-CM or BKK-PKT should be 600-900 baht (to get to Phuket you need two buses). BKK-CM is around 10-11 hours trip and to Phuket twice as that. Oh, and you get a stop to eat a Thai style meal (included). The train is also fun.

A first class air condition bus will run about 1,000 baht and they generally leave at night. So, not ,much to see during the 14 hours i will take you to get there by bus while you spend most of your time sitting in a chair praying the car or truck in front of you that the bus driver is tailgating doesn't suddenly slow or stop .

You can currently fly for under 1600 baht (all inclusive) without even looking hard for a good deal.

For another 5 or 600 baht it makes no sense to waste near 12+ hours that you could be on the beach or sleeping in a bed and waking up feeling relaxed.

A train might be more interesting to do one way but that is about 12 hours on the train and then another 5 or 6 on a bus ... but i believe most trains also leave at night leaving little to see. Not sure of the price but am guessing it is at least more than taking a bus directly to Phuket.

With airfare so cheap within Thailand, I just can't see the merits of wanting to go another way unless it is sight seeing which is hard to do at night and who really wants to spend 14 hours sightseeing the highway.

But this is just my opinion.

Thanks for all of your inputs and I appreciated greatly. We wants to spend couple days in Phuket only and the rest will probably be in Bangkok.

Semper, you are right. It may be much easier flying to Phuket. It may cost little more but I think it is better to sit in a plane for one hour rather then ten hours in the train.

I will discuss this with my families and see what is best for us. There might be four or five persons altogether in this trip so I am trying to gather some info of which direction is best suited for us.

Check out Bangkok Airways as well... they have some very good deals on flights.

Cheers

I once thought I'd try the sleeper train to Udon Thani, on my way the Laos for a visa run.

It was the worst train ride I have ever been on. Sure the sleeper beds are fine, but the train is painfully slow, stopping at every tiny village on the way, and at times it feel like there are sections of track missing. I got no sleep at all, and wasted the next day catching up on sleep.

I always questioned why train travel time in thailand are slower than busses. Now I know.

It's about time Thailand upgraded the tracks and trains, as it really could be a quick, comfortable and convenient way to travel the country.

I will fly or drive in the future :)

A first class air condition bus will run about 1,000 baht and they generally leave at night. So, not ,much to see during the 14 hours i will take you to get there by bus while you spend most of your time sitting in a chair praying the car or truck in front of you that the bus driver is tailgating doesn't suddenly slow or stop .

You can currently fly for under 1600 baht (all inclusive) without even looking hard for a good deal.

For another 5 or 600 baht it makes no sense to waste near 12+ hours that you could be on the beach or sleeping in a bed and waking up feeling relaxed.

A train might be more interesting to do one way but that is about 12 hours on the train and then another 5 or 6 on a bus ... but i believe most trains also leave at night leaving little to see. Not sure of the price but am guessing it is at least more than taking a bus directly to Phuket.

With airfare so cheap within Thailand, I just can't see the merits of wanting to go another way unless it is sight seeing which is hard to do at night and who really wants to spend 14 hours sightseeing the highway.

But this is just my opinion.

I totally agree. There is alot to visit in Thailand. Do not waste your time with long bustrips. BKK Chiang Mai will take you about 10 hours. Phuket from Sai Tai Mai BKK busstation about 16 hours. Three weeks will be gone very quick. Do not spend 20% of it in a bus not to speak spending a night in a bus makes you need a day to recover. The best sight seeing you will have from the plane if you can catch a windowseat. With airasia you can book them in advance for a little extra

This maybe currently, but not in June, as far as I've seen :unsure:.

Anyway, I think one should give it a try, especially if he/ she is not in a short visit to Thailand.

This maybe currently, but not in June, as far as I've seen :unsure:.

Anyway, I think one should give it a try, especially if he/ she is not in a short visit to Thailand.

That is odd. because June is the Low season and November (now) is the start of the high season. There are numerous carries flying from BKK to Phuket and fairs can even be got much lower during certain times of the year. I just double checked and Air Asia has flights for 1590 (total) .. didn't bother looking at the other airlines.

My destination will be Ayuthaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Ko Samui, and other cities.

Dear,

Best start is Bangkok, the big city. Check for a hotel close to the BTS and your choice of places to visit. The visits can be done by local transportation if you prepare well. A local driver with private car may be the most confortable (if you desire I use myself a correct, well English speaking driver who knows his country by hard).

BKK - Chiang Mai by plane. I advise AirAsia, new fleet & good prices. The best price with early booking, you might be surprised. Visit Chiang Mai with local transportation.

For your beach destination check carefully for the weather. Phuket usualy has early rainy season. Ko Samui is the better option. Both are best reachable by plane. From Chiang Mai You will have a stop over for both in BKK. For Koh Samui you will land in Surat Thani. That is Mainland but a short stroll from the ferry were you can find transporttaion to the island.

IGNORE most of the above;

Bangkok-Chaing Mai,,, take the night train!! great ride saves u hotel for the night as well.

Bangkok u fly to SAMUI on Bangkok airlines expensive but 1,15 min

or take the train to surat an then there is a bus over with the ferry

Phuket rainy season is July - Nov

U can also fly direct Phuket-Chaing Mai!!!

MY suggestion

arrive in Bangkok- take the night train to Surat, bus-ferry over to Samui-

Ferry /bus over to phuket ( or if u have$$ fly)

Phuket fly to Chaing Mai

Chaing mai overnight train back to Bangkok

this way u will see all u need to see an have a great trip as well

Dear,

IGNORE most of the above;

Bangkok-Chaing Mai,,, take the night train!! great ride saves u hotel for the night as well.

Bangkok u fly to SAMUI on Bangkok airlines expensive but 1,15 min

or take the train to surat an then there is a bus over with the ferry

Phuket rainy season is July - Nov

U can also fly direct Phuket-Chaing Mai!!!

MY suggestion

arrive in Bangkok- take the night train to Surat, bus-ferry over to Samui-

Ferry /bus over to phuket ( or if u have$ fly)

Phuket fly to Chaing Mai

Chaing mai overnight train back to Bangkok

this way u will see all u need to see an have a great trip as well

Dear,

Of course you can make the trip by train. Hopefully you have the habit of toiletholes, espescially used ones. If you are lucky to catch first class you may be together in the same coupé. Mostly they are quickly sold out and more expensive than the train. Second class you will be at least forty in one wagon, you can have a good sleep but the train stops a lot and your luggage will be left unattended. Sure you can find a flight and a decent hotel for the price of the trainride.

Bankok Airways. A friend of mine who lives on Samui has flown his last trip to Samui this year with Bangkok Airways. The difference with Air asia was about 1000$ for 4 pax. Up to you.

Everytime I have been in Phuket in the month of July the rainy season started .... early that year.

I hope to have informed you correctly

Yours sincerely, JeanElie.

Thanks for the info. This will help me plan on our trip next year. I am looking forward for the vacation since it has been almost ten years since my last visited to Thailand. I an grateful that you all weights on the pros and cons of planning my trip. :)

Thanks for the info. This will help me plan on our trip next year. I am looking forward for the vacation since it has been almost ten years since my last visited to Thailand. I an grateful that you all weights on the pros and cons of planning my trip. :)

One other thing to consider is booking your trip by calling the airlines and arrange a round trip flight from Thailand but make your arriving destination be Phucket because you will have to do a stop in Bangkok first anyway. Instead of doing a few hour layover, ask the airline to make the layover be a few days or week. There should be no extra charge for this and the price to fly to Phuket or BKK will likely be the same or near same from your home country. Then instead of booking your return flight from Bangkok, book it from Chang Mi. Doing this may provide you with what amounts to almost free travel to one of your destinations and you just need to get from Phucket to Chang Mi. You could also skip Chang Mi and book your return back from Phuket with another long layover in Bangkok for a second visit.

While in Bangkok take the much longer train (as opposed to bus) to Ayutthaya just to confirm to yourself it is not something you would have wanted to take for 12 hours.

Depending on how much time you have, I would consider scratching Chang Mi off the trip unless there is something you really want to see outside the city. If you go to Bangkok then you are just going to see Chang Mi as a smaller version.

Air asia only fly's to Surat Thani NOT Samui and then u need take the bus to the ferry and then the ferry across (another min 2 hours travel time) Just chekced for lfights in july Bangkok Samui on Bangkok airlines

Bangkok airways runs low season specials for around 6,000 baht r/t bangkok Samui 3,00-4,000 baht one way

Air Asia is 1,200-1,400 bah to Surat than u need add the fare for the bus and the ferry

The train is a great way to travel and if u book second class overnight u get the sleeper train and if its only one way.

I live in Phuket and yes, rains start in Late July as i said but it is never bad

The route i mentioned will allow u to see the places u want at the best deals, including trains/bus's and flying without backtracking

note that Asiana fly's from SF to Phuket via Seoul.

I don't think any flights originate in Chaing Mai to the states and all would go thru Bangkok

Chaing Mai is NOTHING like Bangkok and very nice place to visit for a few days

They are hundreds of options to travel if u have the time.

Personally i will always take a train over a bus. AT least u can get up and walk around and eat in a dinning car.

note that Asiana fly's from SF to Phuket via Seoul.

I don't think any flights originate in Chaing Mai to the states and all would go thru Bangkok

Chaing Mai is NOTHING like Bangkok and very nice place to visit for a few days

They are hundreds of options to travel if u have the time.

Personally i will always take a train over a bus. AT least u can get up and walk around and eat in a dinning car.

What does Chang Mai offer that Bangkok doesn't .. in terms of in the city? Especially in terms of somebody looking not to waste money getting between places and/or has limited time. There is not big contrast at all and the point was that depending on his time, he might want to limit the number of places he visits so he can actually relax and visit and not be going from place to place ... especially if he decides to believe taking a family on a 12 / 14 hour bus or train ride to go to reach each place is a part of a vacation.

Edited by Nisa