Mobile Phone Registration

awarrumbungle

Can somebody clear this up for me.

I have heard that I need to take my pre-paid mobile phone (1-2-call) to an AIS center to get it registered or they will cancel it.  Is this true?  Why?

Yes!

Because it's the law!

It's all to do with the southern insurgents using mobiles to trigger bombs. There's a bunch of threads all about it.

Piece of cake to do, take yourself, your passport and your mobile to any AIS outlet, fill in a simple form, go home :o

EDIT: Just a thought, what planet have you been on? This has been major news for at least 6 months. :D

Edited by Crossy

Can somebody clear this up for me.

I have heard that I need to take my pre-paid mobile phone (1-2-call) to an AIS center to get it registered or they will cancel it.  Is this true?  Why?

Yes!

Because it's the law!

It's all to do with the southern insurgents using mobiles to trigger bombs. There's a bunch of threads all about it.

Piece of cake to do, take yourself, your passport and your mobile to any AIS outlet, fill in a simple form, go home :D

EDIT: Just a thought, what planet have you been on? This has been major news for at least 6 months. :D

:o

Pointless exercise!

The terrorists in the south just go over the border into Malaysia where there is no problem getting an unregistered number.

You don't have to register here!

Talk about the Thai gov not tying up the loose ends! :o

Also dawns on me that by not registering our phone the mobile phone companies are going to know exactly how much is in their pre-paid kitty for them to use (good money making scheme)

• 2 weeks later...

I just did mine at the Nana BTS station. There is a Jaymart there and it took 5 minutes. Even if that is not your stop you can do it there because it is inside the gates, so you can get back on the next train without paying another fare. Apparently any place that sells sim cards will do it.

You don't have to register here!

Talk about the Thai gov not tying up the loose ends! :o

That is incorrect.

The 3 southern provinces had until November 15 to register their pre-paid SIM cards, and the rest of the nation has until December 31 this year.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not really about the problems in the South of Thailand.

Surely it is about the ability of the government to listen in to

your telephone calls and to know who is calling who.

It is suposed to help in the war on terrorism.

The reasoning escapes me.