What Do I Need To Install Wifi In The Following Situation?

endure

I've got a mate (in Chiang Mai) who has broadband installed with a single port ADSL modem/router(?) and a 5 port switch with one port spare. He wants wifi in his room but doesn't want to replace his router. What's the easiest way to do it?

Wireless Access Points actually cost a little more than an integrated modem / wireless router / 4-5 port switch. Go figure- they do less, but cost more. I guess because they don't sell the same volumes.

However, your reply didn't provide the specific answer that the OP wanted, quite the opposite in fact. He doesn't "have to" change his existing router.

Once again, replies above are not exactly correct.

I'd imagine that there is a desktop PC located at the router / switch point.

If both PCs are Windows, a USB Wifi "Stick" could be used on the desktop PC to create an "adhoc" connection between it and the remote PC / laptop.

Once again, replies above are not exactly correct.

I'd imagine that there is a desktop PC located at the router / switch point.

If both PCs are Windows, a USB Wifi "Stick" could be used on the desktop PC to create an "adhoc" connection between it and the remote PC / laptop.

both pc's would require wifi for adhoc to work, lets keep this simple.

Would it be possible to use a USB wifi adapter as an access point?

Possible but not very practical. It's fairly tricky to set up and would require the main PC to be on whenever you want to use the laptop.

It may be possible to find a used access point very cheaply. They are the sort of thing that people often sell because they dont know what to do with them, or indeed buy in error because they dont know exactly what they are.

Of course we are assuming a lot without Endure to tell us what hardware is involved. However, I would think it is safe to assume that if Endure's mate is looking for a way to set up a WiFi signal that will reach his room, that the remote device in his room is already WiFi capable.

And as mentioned, adhoc connection will only work between two windows PCs. If the guy wants to use an android device, iPhone, Mac or some other device, then a proper router will be required to manage the connection. I've never seen a USB Wifi stick that has this functionality.

Edited by bino

Of course we are assuming a lot without Endure to tell us what hardware is involved. However, I would think it is safe to assume that if Endure's mate is looking for a way to set up a WiFi signal that will reach his room, that the remote device in his room is already WiFi capable.

And as mentioned, adhoc connection will only work between two windows PCs. If the guy wants to use an android device, iPhone, Mac or some other device, then a proper router will be required to manage the connection. I've never seen a USB Wifi stick that has this functionality.

*applause* at last a sensible answer, without being smug

If the pc with Ethernet connection is running win7 and has a wireless card he can setup a virtual router which will share the Ethernet connection through the wifi card. Any wireless device can connect: phone, consoles, computers etc. No hardware needed, just freeware software.

OK - a bit more info. At the moment he has a single pc running XP with a single port ADSL router. Into the router he has plugged a 5 port switch. The switch has one port free. He also owns the condo immediately next door which has no internet connectivity at all. He's also thinking of buying a Kindle and would prefer the wifi version as it's cheaper. So he'd like wifi for both next door and the Kindle. If he decides to go ahead I'm happy to set it up for him but I'm only here for a little while and he's not good with computers. Any recommendations of specific kit and where to get it in Chiang Mai would be much appreciated.

If that is the case, then I'd opt for the wireless access point as being fastest and easiest if he is dead set against changing the router for an integrated model. It will plug into the available port on the switch, and set it up like the wireless on an integrated wireless router modem.

This will be best because he won't be reliant on the desktop PC being online to provide signal to the condo next door, etc. and will support multiple devices. Adhoc connection is a pain in the arse to set up, finicky when it is running, and supports one device only.

I don't know CM well enough to tell you where, but the DLink model that I linked to is available in most decent computer supply places like IT city. Almost all manufacturers do one though, so if you don't like Dlink you can find one that will do the job from your preferred supplier.

I don't know about CM but in Tukcom in Pattaya there is a good Dlink ADSL modem/router with N band wifi for 1100B. This would be a good replacement for the pile of boxes he currently has.

I agree that is the simplest approach, provided it offers enough ports?

I am intrigued that 3 ports on the switch are already in use, when there is only ONE PC.

I don't know about CM but in Tukcom in Pattaya there is a good Dlink ADSL modem/router with N band wifi for 1100B. This would be a good replacement for the pile of boxes he currently has.

I agree that is the simplest approach, provided it offers enough ports?

I am intrigued that 3 ports on the switch are already in use, when there is only ONE PC.

One port is used by the ADSL modem connection, one by the PC and 2 by the TV system he has installed. Anyway I've explained the various options and he's thinking about it.