Soldiers, Volunteers, Media Most Popular In Relief Work: Thailand Flood

webfact

Soldiers, volunteers, media most popular in relief work

The Nation

30169353-01.jpg

Soldiers continue to top the list of the most helpful groups helping to alleviate the plight of people affected by floods, according to an Abac poll released yesterday.

On the score of 10, soldiers again gained the most votes with 9.56, followed by volunteers 9.10 and the media 9.08. Police saw their vote position rise from eighth to fourth with 9.05.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration received the score of 8.34, not much better than the government which received 8.30.

Other groups include singers, actors, the Irrigation Department and MPs, municipality councillors and district councillors.

Of the total respondents, 53.2 per cent said they had less than one week to prepare for floods, 32.2 per cent said they had more than one week, and 14.6 per cent did not have time to prepare at all.

Complaint services that received the most calls were the medical emergency 1669 which received 6.83 (out of 10), followed by the State Railway of Thailand hotline 1690 which took 5.86. The 191 hotline also received 5.86.

Of the total respondents, 72.6 per cent said their income had dropped or was stable - but their expenses had risen. They were most troubled by rising food prices - 72.6 per cent - and drinking water- 65.7 per cent- followed by medicine, transportation - especially boats - and sand bags, bricks, and cement.

Asked what they wanted most as New Year gifts, 65 per cent said funds to repair their houses, 59.3 per cent wanted the government to solve rising prices, 54.6 per cent a solution to the unemployment problem.

Among flood victims reflecting on performances of the government and the opposition in tackling the flood situation, 93.8 per cent said they wanted both to stop fighting, 63 per cent wanted both to tell the truth, 58 per cent wanted them to defend public safety.

The poll of 1,478 respondents was conducted from November 15 in Bangkok and provinces in its vicinity.

A Dusit poll conducted from November 15 among 1,454 respondents, found most wanted the government to provide compensation to fix their houses. The respondents included those not living in evacuation centres and those who still remained in their flooded homes.

Those who resided in evacuation centres said they had shifted out because :

Number one, their one storey houses were deeply flooded and they did not have relatives; second because electricity in their houses was cut and they could not get out of the soi to buy food plus their neighbours had moved out; third, they were worried about their children and the elderly; fourth, they were persuaded to shift to the evacuation centre to receive accommodation, board and health care.

The main reasons for deciding to remain in their flooded homes instead of evacuation centres were that they could still live on the second floor of the house; second, they were worried about their family members who refused to leave, they did not want to leave because of their pets, or they feared burglaries. Other reasons were that they had moved to stay with relatives, friends and in hotels.

The Dusit poll found 60 per cent wanted the government to provide compensation for fixing houses, 21 per cent - the unemployment problem solved, 18 per cent a debt moratorium, 46 per cent believed the government failed to solve the flood problems, 24 per cent said the government lacked preparation, 15 per cent believed the government's performance was satisfactory as natural disasters were inevitable, 13 per cent wanted water experts to solve the problem or provide information, and 13 per cent believed the government's support to flood victims was not fairly distributed.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-07

RT @ThanongK: Sukhumbhand has written four letters to Irrigation Dept asking for water pumps. No reply.

RT @ThanongK: Even pro-government Thai Rath is running out of patience now.

I think that the above quotes sum up precisely just how effective the government has been in this matter.

In the governments eyes the public don't matter

Edited by siampolee

RT @ThanongK: Sukhumbhand has written four letters to Irrigation Dept asking for water pumps. No reply.

RT @ThanongK: Even pro-government Thai Rath is running out of patience now.

I think that the above quotes sum up precisely just how effective the government has been in this matter.

In the governments eyes the public don't matter

He would be better to address it in Thai than to write "Irrigation Department". :lol:

Maybe the quote meant to say "Sukhumband has been writing four letter words to the Irrigation department. No reply"

No doubt the Irrigation Dept consider the letters are from the Irritation Dept.

Soldiers continue to top the list of the most helpful groups helping to alleviate the plight of people affected by floods …

Other groups include singers, actors, the Irrigation Department and MPs, municipality councillors and district councillors.

Any ranking for the relentless whiners/whingers on ThaiVisa? They must top some list.

Surely their incessant whining and juvenile prattle on all topics cannot go unnoticed by a grateful nation.

Soldiers continue to top the list of the most helpful groups helping to alleviate the plight of people affected by floods …

Any ranking for the relentless whiners/whingers on ThaiVisa? They must top some list.

Surely their incessant whining and juvenile prattle on all topics cannot go unnoticed by a grateful nation.

I love the soldiers and volunteers, they are the ones doing all the work. The government is a joke. Here we did it all our self, set it up our self. No help from the government (Bang Yai here). But the soldiers with their truck and help are the best. Always taking people where to go.

Bet the government does not like this so bad for their image. You could argue the soldiers are the government but we all know better this is Thailand.

One thing I dislike about all this is that the government is "directing" rescue and relief services all over Thailand as if it owns them but after working with the floods for over a month now I would really like to know the percentage of flood supplies that the government is actually supplying because from what I have seen from Ayutthya to Bangkok is that over 90%+++ is by NGO's, companies, etc... For example, almost all those supplies at FROC are donated from individuals, companies,etc. and to make it worse to see all those supplies at FROC going to waste in piles like at a rubbish dump is criminal.

The army only seems to be putting sandbags in place and very occasionally rescuing people from flood areas (in combination with NGO rescue services who seem to be doing more than 90%+++ of that work too).

In reality it seems that the government is merely "directing" all the volunteer groups. Even the relief centers and makeshift hospitals are manned and supplied by volunteers (including medicine). No government doctors or workers here. The government "officials do come through to take photos but then leave moments after. (This I know because this is the area I work in).

I believe without the goodness of Thai people and the culture of volunteerism in Thailand the government would not be able to handle this flood relief at all. I'd really like to see actual statistics on what the government has supplied and done... I think it would show them having achieved very little and I think all the praise for relief and rescue efforts should go to all these volunteer groups and to all the people that donated to them.

Who, or what is "Abac"? And who, or what is "Dusit"?

I assume the the article means the polls were conducted "from" October 15 and not November 15.

Conducted by Rajabat Suan Dusit University, I was one of them btw. wink.gif

One thing I dislike about all this is that the government is "directing" rescue and relief services all over Thailand as if it owns them but after working with the floods for over a month now I would really like to know the percentage of flood supplies that the government is actually supplying because from what I have seen from Ayutthya to Bangkok is that over 90%+++ is by NGO's, companies, etc... For example, almost all those supplies at FROC are donated from individuals, companies,etc. and to make it worse to see all those supplies at FROC going to waste in piles like at a rubbish dump is criminal.

That they are donated by the public, NGO's etc. doesn't stop some others from claiming to the benefactors...

I just watched some red tv because I want to be broadly informed. I'm sorry but I couldn't watch it longer than a few minutes. Flood relief packages distributed by a truck with a big banner of Thaksin. I doubt he paid for it and it made me sick.

Sounds like FROC needs to re-issue it's rule again (from 9 days ago)

TR @aunoline: FROC's new rule - all trucks carry donations will bear FROC name only. A political party sign allowed as a small sticker.

Further report, in the other paper, of huge banners, in contradiction of the FROC's ruling, on flood relief trucks saying in red letters, DONATED ITEMS COURTESY OF POLITICIAN KARUN HOSAKUL (the indicted Red Shirt Leader out on bail/Pheu Thai Party MP) followed later by a truck's banner reading, A GIFT FROM POLICE GENERAL THAKSIN SHINAWATRA.

I assume the the article means the polls were conducted "from" October 15 and not November 15.

Conducted by Rajabat Suan Dusit University, I was one of them btw. wink.gif

Abac= Assumption University

Thank you for those posts.

As a journalism student, I learned that the first use of an abbreviation in a news story should be followed by the un-abbreviated form. Hard to guess, oftentimes, what a few letters might be for, and it's often nice for the reader ( :coffee1: ) to know.

BTW: I see now, 506 deaths due to the flooding in Thailand. That's up A LOT from the 446 I saw just a day or two ago. Amidst all this, a lot of suffering is going on. Somehow, the TV images and news releases aren't capturing that very real and tragic aspect of the flooding.

That they are donated by the public, NGO's etc. doesn't stop some others from claiming to the benefactors...

I just watched some red tv because I want to be broadly informed. I'm sorry but I couldn't watch it longer than a few minutes. Flood relief packages distributed by a truck with a big banner of Thaksin. I doubt he paid for it and it made me sick.

Sounds like FROC needs to re-issue it's rule again (from 9 days ago)

TR @aunoline: FROC's new rule - all trucks carry donations will bear FROC name only. A political party sign allowed as a small sticker.

Further report, in the other paper, of huge banners, in contradiction of the FROC's ruling, on flood relief trucks saying in red letters, DONATED ITEMS COURTESY OF POLITICIAN KARUN HOSAKUL (the indicted Red Shirt Leader out on bail/Pheu Thai Party MP) followed later by a truck's banner reading, A GIFT FROM POLICE GENERAL THAKSIN SHINAWATRA.

Just watched red tv, It's Thaksin shinawatra all over the place: on blue boats with his name in white, filmed while distributed during the night and big banners on trucks and tents. Even if he paid for all this stuff it's shameless to make such a show of it.

Seems like the perfect opportunity for the Jetski Boys down Pattaya way to step in and earn some brownie points.:whistling:

Although, I guess you have to be careful what you wish for - they might send the Govt broke with "damage" claims.

I have seen pleny of jetski's here in Bang Bua thong. They are helping people for a price. Some motorcy taxis have a boat. Ok its expensive but better as nothing. Only problem is its not totally flooded everywhere so you have to cross dry patches of land.

Just watched red tv, It's Thaksin shinawatra all over the place: on blue boats with his name in white, filmed while distributed during the night and big banners on trucks and tents. Even if he paid for all this stuff it's shameless to make such a show of it.

As big a ham as he is, and his attempts to mold himself into something beyond just PM are well-known, the East Asian ethic of making sure to be incredibly visible and ham it up when you do something good is pretty well-worn. Hell, the Army churned out 4-5 brand new well-produced TV spots as soon as they started doing flood relief highlighting their bravery and helpfulness to Thai people. Not a truck goes by out here in floodville without a giant banner that says ROYAL THAI ARMY on it (as if a huge military truck driven by guys in uniform could possibly be mistaken). I'm definitely not defending squarehead as I'm no fan, but rarely a good thing is done in this country without making sure someone's watching to see you do it.

It's good to see these soldiers faces and realize they are the faces of the boys/young men we see everyday. But well disciplined and enthusiastically helping people with (sincere) smiles on their faces.

Today I saw on the tele a clip of a military truck full of Karaoke singing soldiers (men and women) who were trying to raise the spirits of people in flooded communities. The were singing and dancing the Lamvong (sp?) with the local neighborhood.

I couldn't help but remember last year's violence and stupidity and how many of them were killed needlessly.

The army is carrying out relief/rescue work under the government. they ar e effectively for a disaster the relief agency of the government. They are not an independent agency at all but under the government. Im surprised by people trying to make all these distinctions when the reality is in trying times everyone should and to a large degree are working together.

By the way any score over 6.0 on those Abac polls is very high and even 5.0 (50%) aint bad, so whatever the report tries to sway it as there are a lot of organizations and hotlines doing a reasonable to very good job.