German Shepard (Gsd)

A bit of both really... my motivation for getting a GSD was it was the breed of dog i grew up with, but this being Thailand i wanted to get a loud and big dog to guard the house. Still i want a dog to mess around with and go for long walks etc.

He barks when the doorbell rings and he barked at my cleaner when she came yesterday (until he got to know her, then he was as good as gold) so hes instinctively got it in him already, i do intend to socialize him to people and dogs as soon as possible, hes total fine with strangers outside of the house in the few people he has met outside.

You hit the nail on the head when you talked about socialize, this is a must for any type of dog and more so for GSD and sometimes they can become aloof. The sooner you start to socialize the better. They are a great breed who unfortunately over the years have received a lot of bad press. Back in the UK I was involved in the GSD rescue and at one stage ended up with 8 older dogs who we could not rehome because of their age (no one wanted and old dog and the vet fees), but they were all characters in their own right.

Enjoy your puppy and do not walk him to far while he is still young as this can effect his hips.

Thanks for the advice guys, i do appreciate it... i'm not put off by it, i understand that they will need regular vet visits to keep them healthy.

We found a breeder now and have selected our dog, i'm gunna give him another week or two before we collect him, he's 9-10 weeks old right now, but i prefer to leave it as close to 12 weeks as possible, we gotta puppy-proof the house and garden now and get all the bits we need to welcome him home.

Congratulations MunterHunter - any chance you can share the breeders contact details?

We have a "cross" GSD who is now 13 months old. My girl friend suddenly announced last week she wanted to buy another puppy (12 week old male) she had seen at the same place we bought the first one (she only went to buy some nail clippers). Unfortunately I am not in Thailand the whole time but gave ny assent and the new puppy was home the same day. To cut a long story short he unfortunately died Thursday night/Ftiday am in hospital - parvovirus plus possibly something else. This was after the doctor treating him had said on Thursday 80/90% will be home on Sunday.

Needless to say GF has been distraught but still wants a second GSD. She is sensible enough not to rush into it but was interested in a pure breed. Personally that is not important to me and as a previous poster said I think maybe some mix gives a bit more resistance to diseases.

Picture taken last Saturday.

Can anybody say what would be the range of pricing for a pure GSD between 8 and 12 weeks as I have absolutely no idea?

post-108341-0-45993400-1322290505_thumb.

10,000 to 15,000 is normal price for pure blood GSD.But if search in web u can find about 7500 bht from home breeders but not guaranteed for his race

Thanks for the advice guys, i do appreciate it... i'm not put off by it, i understand that they will need regular vet visits to keep them healthy.

We found a breeder now and have selected our dog, i'm gunna give him another week or two before we collect him, he's 9-10 weeks old right now, but i prefer to leave it as close to 12 weeks as possible, we gotta puppy-proof the house and garden now and get all the bits we need to welcome him home.

Congratulations MunterHunter - any chance you can share the breeders contact details?

We have a "cross" GSD who is now 13 months old. My girl friend suddenly announced last week she wanted to buy another puppy (12 week old male) she had seen at the same place we bought the first one (she only went to buy some nail clippers). Unfortunately I am not in Thailand the whole time but gave ny assent and the new puppy was home the same day. To cut a long story short he unfortunately died Thursday night/Ftiday am in hospital - parvovirus plus possibly something else. This was after the doctor treating him had said on Thursday 80/90% will be home on Sunday.

Needless to say GF has been distraught but still wants a second GSD. She is sensible enough not to rush into it but was interested in a pure breed. Personally that is not important to me and as a previous poster said I think maybe some mix gives a bit more resistance to diseases.

Can anybody say what would be the range of pricing for a pure GSD between 8 and 12 weeks as I have absolutely no idea?

My pup was a bit more than that... in fact a lot more than that :)

I will get the details off the GF, the breeder only speaks Thai, so you will need someone to translate for you unless you have good Thai language skills.

I was a bit surprised the price level was not higher.

Thanks MH - that would be a great help and as my GF is driving this language is no problem

Hi Topt,

Please be aware that Parvovirus is highly contagious and hardy and can live in the environment for six months to one year and by some reports even up to seven years.

Parvo can be transmitted to your home on shoes, clothing, hands and even car tires. If you still want to bring a new pup home where another dog has died from parvo, all areas in the home should be throughly cleaned with chlorine bleach diluted I think with 1 part to 30 of bleach. All bedding should be thrown out or at least throughly cleaned also don't forget your clothing. All stools and any vomit must be picked up and disposed of. Even the soil must be sprayed. It is best not to bring a new pup in the area until it has had at least all the shots for parvo starting around 8 weeks every 3 or 4 weeks to about 20 weeks, but talk to your vet. A dog over 12 months of age will have the best chance not to catch Parvo. Don't want to scare you but it is a terrible virus and I have witnessed 1 dog die of parvo, and a friend of mine in Australia that bred greyhounds had almost all of his dogs wiped out.

Also, good luck to Miffhunter, hope all goes well with your new pup.

Hi Topt,

Please be aware that Parvovirus is highly contagious and hardy and can live in the environment for six months to one year and by some reports even up to seven years.

Parvo can be transmitted to your home on shoes, clothing, hands and even car tires. If you still want to bring a new pup home where another dog has died from parvo, all areas in the home should be throughly cleaned with chlorine bleach diluted I think with 1 part to 30 of bleach. All bedding should be thrown out or at least throughly cleaned also don't forget your clothing. All stools and any vomit must be picked up and disposed of. Even the soil must be sprayed. It is best not to bring a new pup in the area until it has had at least all the shots for parvo starting around 8 weeks every 3 or 4 weeks to about 20 weeks, but talk to your vet. A dog over 12 months of age will have the best chance not to catch Parvo. Don't want to scare you but it is a terrible virus and I have witnessed 1 dog die of parvo, and a friend of mine in Australia that bred greyhounds had almost all of his dogs wiped out

Thank you very much for the advice - much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...