Bt5,000 Compensation For Each Flood-Affected Household

webfact

I have some questions and a comment...

Comment is... 5,000 certainly isn't very much. It isn't enough. As one poster said, it will buy a hollow front door; another said, a couple pairs of boots.

My questions are...

If this is the number, 5,000/ household and that's it, all that anyone gets, 10 billion total. Let's also assume that every household does actually get the 5,000 and some politician doesn't get any of it (I know, a big assumption but I'm just cynical).

What will people actually do with that money?

Will they throw it in the flood water in their house because it just isn't enough?

Will they use it for toilet paper?

Will they save it in their soggy mattress until someone comes and gives them more?

Will they burn it in protest?

I'm just wondering, what will they do with it? Any ideas out there?

True that 5,000 Baht isn't much to you and me, but in Ayuttaya, after a recent Minimum Wage increase to 190 Baht per day it is almost a full months wages given to them for free. Nobody said it was to be the final consideration to the flood victims. I assume it is for emergency compensation only. I mean if nobody is working for over a month because of the flood, nobody is getting paid. And in Thailand if you are not working and don't have money, you don't eat. So I think this money would come in handy to many people who are is a terrible situation right now with no food or possible job to support themselves.

To be totally honest I am not sure what my own government would do if I was in this perdicament because I don't trust them to do anything for me. So I try not to get into a situation where I would need there help. Instead like you I carry Insurance for this, which costs me dearly. But I would like to think that at least in my own country I wouldn't starve to death. At least get a hand out for food, if I needed it, and shelter, which they are getting in Thailand.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They would do better to target money to people who could not afford insurance for their houses. Those who have insurance or who could afford it but didnt bother could be excepted. It is those that really lack the ability to get back who need the money and more than 5000 baht. The wealthy need nothing and the middle classes should be insured although there is a horrible tendency to think why should I waste money on insurance among that class

Now the problem with this is those who chose to buy insurance and sacrificed a case of Leo to do so and those who had the case of Leo and sacrificed the insurance

All you wise farangs may sneer at 5000 Baht, but for many in my village that is probably the worth of what they have lost in terms of furniture. 5000 Baht will by a bed and mattress some plastic chairs and a cheap table.

Here in my village in the suburbs of BKK people have lost quite a bit more then that. They are not rich here but they had build up savings and possessions. Its gone now.

If the government had told us what was comming we could have taken more precautions. But because of their constant mishandeling of the situation and covering it up not to loose face we were kept in the dark till it was too late.

A lot could have been avoided. That is why i think compensation should be awarded. Because the government failed its task. Not because there is a national disaster but because they made it worse.

Let me ask you a simple (yet not so simple) question: who will actually measure IF a government (any government) "failed it's task"?

What are actually your measurement policies? The "best case scenario"? The continuously "we would have been better of with Abby and a SOE"?

How do you KNOW (not assume, not wish, not accuse) that this wasn't the best they could do?

How do you KNOW, a lot could have been avoided? And how much? And how does that value?

Don't get me wrong: I want everybody to get compensated! The poorer people are, the more I want it.

But where does this "demand"- position come from?

"If the government had told us what was comming"

Where have you been in the last 2 months.

It is over the news 24-7 that flood was coming.

Sorry mate, I think you are being unreasonable.

The government has spent most of the time saying things were Ok, or getting better. Right after the big tide on 18 October government spokesmen assured us that it was all over and "Bangkok" was safe. Rob has got it absolutely correct. Not only did the government fail to warn, they gave false assurances. They lied.

Cabinet approves Bt3.1 billion for helping Bangkok flood victims

The Cabinet Tuesday approved budget of Bt3.1 billion as compensation for flood-hit Bangkok residents.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has been instructed to review people's eligibility for compensation within two weeks. Each eligible family will get Bt5,000.

"Within 45 days, compensation must reach the hands of eligible people," Deputy Government Spokeswoman Anuttama Amornwiwat said Tuesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-08

get ready for major demonstrations, perhaps even violent ones, 5000 bt is a major insult and the rich will suffer the consequences for this

True.

They already start talking about "changing PM".

150 USD PER FAMILY (not even per person!) to compensate the losses is absolute absurd.

I gonna spend more for soaps,clothes & paints ONLY.

Don't tell me about those in Auttaya having that much monthly. They also eat som-tam - should I eat that rotten-crabs-salat too?

Just have a visit to Auttaya's Lotus or something like that, and see how much utilities you can afford for 5K thb. Don't count on average income - count on average prices, nationwide! Lotus, BigC are cheap enough even for locals - go there with 5K and see how you will repair your house.

get ready for major demonstrations, perhaps even violent ones, 5000 bt is a major insult and the rich will suffer the consequences for this, the govt of Thailand will never learn

But I thought the PTP/UDD were all about enriching the poor with power... or at least that's what countless transient Red apologists have been posting.

I see the complaints about the money being inadequate. Ok. Considering that the economy has been kicked in the nutz, where do you propose the money come from?

Well, I don't know...when they want to give 200,00 baht to a terrorist that blow himself and friends up, surely they can give 5,000 baht more to a full family that lost everything due to government (including who-over bureaucrat that oversaw each dam) mismanagement.

I see the complaints about the money being inadequate. Ok. Considering that the economy has been kicked in the nutz, where do you propose the money come from?

Well, I don't know...when they want to give 200,00 baht to a terrorist that blow himself and friends up, surely they can give 5,000 baht more to a full family that lost everything due to government (including who-over bureaucrat that oversaw each dam) mismanagement.

This 5000 baht is the "Amart" government gift to the "Prai"

10 billion baht for the people. 100 billion baht for businesses.

You got the numbers wrong. 10,000,000,000 for people and 100,000,000 for business. Billion vs million. Big difference.

Not that 5k per household is much...

Thai Govt Will Seek To Spend Bt900 Billion On Flood Recovery

Bt800bn to overhaul water management procedures, Bt100bn to help flooded industrial estates

If they did not know or were not able to interpret satellite imaging or aerial imaging then they are incompetent. I kept asking for bkk to take as much water as they could. Mr fan boy im sure you never lived a day in a really flooded area. Guys like you make me laugh defending the red dream till the end. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">"If i had the information they had i could done it much better. At least i would not lie and deny to save face as i don't care about it. Ying Luck.. walking on boards in boots the ordinary man cant pay for walking over them. The symbol of red pride. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">I am curious if she is really dumb or if she planned it this way.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">First house buyer promotion .. result houses flood<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">First car promotion.... result cars get flooded<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">300 bt a day labor (after being delayed and made less) factories get flooded<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">In this village what was fairly red they also started accusing the government. So that shows you how the red shirt at ground level think."

Ok...so to sumn all your "yellow dreams" up ( I know! You are not yellows! But I am not red either...so who gives a sh@t?):

the government saw it, new it, couldn't interpret it, didn't warn...lied to all of us.

Guess what? I agree!

Not so much on the "lie" part...whatever.

...and so did the govenor!

...and so did all the experts, that were crawling out of the bushes, every other day!

What is your point?

I guess, the fact, that NO ONE in the last 3 month could give an only halfway correct statement to this disaster, should tell you something?!

No?

Sorry for asking.

What the hell did you do to the formatting ?

What this tells me is that people are not selected for their qualities but for their ties to mr T. It shows me what cronyism does to a country. It shows me many ppl in power are not capable of what they do. I had a lot more faith in the previous government though there were a lot of crooks there too. But I liked the priminier and korn. Both were at least capable and not corrupt. But to form a coalition they had to work with crooks so there was corruption there too.

I'm pretty sure they would have done a better job. They should have brought in the Dutch much earlier it would have helped. If they had listened that is... Again a big if. This government hates loosing face

There is false and stupid promises that i hate in politics,......My Follow people here...please lets read the news and understand something that is going on...This Government is the worse i ever see in thailand and in my life,What an insult..The government will allocate more than Bt10 billion to compensate some 2 million households nationwide affected by the flooding,and they will give out 5000bath to each household, Meanwhile, the Senate expected to receive donations of more than Bt36 million from the public to contribute to flood-affected people, according to Senate speaker Theeradej Meepian............... The Senate secretary's office has already received nearly Bt30 million in donations, he said....(Public Contribution ....personal use)....Why cant this people in this so called Government Help their people?Why Giving out 5000bath,Dont Blame the Government,Blame Goes to who ever that bring out this stupid 5000Bath compensation.....Can i ask you a question Mr/Mrs Compensation.....How much do you buy a bag of sand to protect the flood from entering your Rich house?How much Buy a Door window in your so call house..I think is wicked for you to even open up your brain to think of 5000bath.Help yourselve first and stop insulting Us here...

(Authority Stealing)

There is false and stupid promises that i hate in politics,......My Follow people here...please lets read the news and understand something that is going on...This Government is the worse i ever see in thailand and in my life,What an insult..The government will allocate more than Bt10 billion to compensate some 2 million households nationwide affected by the flooding,and they will give out 5000bath to each household, Meanwhile, the Senate expected to receive donations of more than Bt36 million from the public to contribute to flood-affected people, according to Senate speaker Theeradej Meepian............... The Senate secretary's office has already received nearly Bt30 million in donations, he said....(Public Contribution ....personal use)....Why cant this people in this so called Government Help their people?Why Giving out 5000bath,Dont Blame the Government,Blame Goes to who ever that bring out this stupid 5000Bath compensation.....Can i ask you a question Mr/Mrs Compensation.....How much do you buy a bag of sand to protect the flood from entering your Rich house?How much Buy a Door window in your so call house..I think is wicked for you to even open up your brain to think of 5000bath.Help yourselve first and stop insulting Us here...

(Authority Stealing)

"Dont Blame the Government,Blame Goes to who ever that bring out this stupid 5000Bath compensation"

... Don't blame the government, Blame the government. :blink:

Edited by whybother

<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

:blink:

Yeah....I don't know...copy/paste....and that is what happens.

Sure I could learn a lot from you, master of cuttings!

Back to the subject, though!

Here's a tip.

Rather than trying to copy/paste when replying to a post, just click on the reply button :

reply.png

at the lower right hand corner of their post.

:)

If they did not know or were not able to interpret satellite imaging or aerial imaging then they are incompetent. I kept asking for bkk to take as much water as they could. Mr fan boy im sure you never lived a day in a really flooded area. Guys like you make me laugh defending the red dream till the end. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">"If i had the information they had i could done it much better. At least i would not lie and deny to save face as i don't care about it. Ying Luck.. walking on boards in boots the ordinary man cant pay for walking over them. The symbol of red pride. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">I am curious if she is really dumb or if she planned it this way.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">First house buyer promotion .. result houses flood<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">First car promotion.... result cars get flooded<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">300 bt a day labor (after being delayed and made less) factories get flooded<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">In this village what was fairly red they also started accusing the government. So that shows you how the red shirt at ground level think."

Ok...so to sumn all your "yellow dreams" up ( I know! You are not yellows! But I am not red either...so who gives a sh@t?):

the government saw it, new it, couldn't interpret it, didn't warn...lied to all of us.

Guess what? I agree!

...and so did all the experts, that were crawling out of the bushes, every other day!

What is your point?

I guess, the fact, that NO ONE in the last 3 month could give an only halfway correct statement to this disaster, should tell you something?!

No?

Sorry for asking.

What this tells me is that people are not selected for their qualities but for their ties to mr T. It shows me what cronyism does to a country. It shows me many ppl in power are not capable of what they do. I had a lot more faith in the previous government though there were a lot of crooks there too. But I liked the priminier and korn. Both were at least capable and not corrupt. But to form a coalition they had to work with crooks so there was corruption there too.

I'm pretty sure they would have done a better job. They should have brought in the Dutch much earlier it would have helped. If they had listened that is... Again a big if. This government hates loosing face

I don't know. I just copy/pasted and ...oh, &lt;deleted&gt; who cares!

But you would agree, that not all the (contradicting) reports and essays were made by "experts" who were all hired by TS, right?!

I mean (yes, I am still on dry land- sorry for that!) for my area there are no less than 4 different scenarios by 6 different sources, from "experts" to the Govenor, to FROC...and they are indicating that my place would be dry forver/ get 50 cm of water...maybe/ 1 meter of water last week/ 1,5 meters of water next week! I am sure, they are not all TS friends and family- I just guess, they have no clue.

So my guess would be, that there were equally as many "expert opinions" for the area you are in, agreed?!

So to talk about "lies" is totally far fetched.

I am sorry, but that's how I see it!

Nothing to do with being red or yellow or green...just a bunch of people, who simply did have no idea about what was going to happen or miscalculated the situation.

So then you agree that its because the people in charge are incompetent. Also they cant find any competent people for their information because they only use people who they like instead of real experts.

Not sure what is worse a lying government or an incompetent one. Even I (might be dutch but no water engineer) could see from satellite images that we were not going to keep it dry. If i had access to them earlier. So then its incompetence, could have been expected from a clone.

<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

:blink:

Yeah....I don't know...copy/paste....and that is what happens.

Sure I could learn a lot from you, master of cuttings!

Back to the subject, though!

Here's a tip.

Rather than trying to copy/paste when replying to a post, just click on the reply button :

reply.png

at the lower right hand corner of their post.

:)

Yep...it works, I just did it!

Guess what? I agree!

What is your point?

No?

Sorry for asking.

I don't know. I just copy/pasted and ...oh, &lt;deleted&gt; who cares!

But you would agree, that not all the (contradicting) reports and essays were made by "experts" who were all hired by TS, right?!

I mean (yes, I am still on dry land- sorry for that!) for my area there are no less than 4 different scenarios by 6 different sources, from "experts" to the Govenor, to FROC...and they are indicating that my place would be dry forver/ get 50 cm of water...maybe/ 1 meter of water last week/ 1,5 meters of water next week! I am sure, they are not all TS friends and family- I just guess, they have no clue.

So my guess would be, that there were equally as many "expert opinions" for the area you are in, agreed?!

So to talk about "lies" is totally far fetched.

I am sorry, but that's how I see it!

Nothing to do with being red or yellow or green...just a bunch of people, who simply did have no idea about what was going to happen or miscalculated the situation.

So then you agree that its because the people in charge are incompetent. Also they cant find any competent people for their information because they only use people who they like instead of real experts.

Not sure what is worse a lying government or an incompetent one. Even I (might be dutch but no water engineer) could see from satellite images that we were not going to keep it dry. If i had access to them earlier. So then its incompetence, could have been expected from a clone.

Of course I agree, that there are a lot of morons in this government!

Who wouldn't?!

And yes, they didn't find (m)any qualified people to work.

My point is: not only the government is incompetent.

The BMA is incompetent (telling the same contradicting bull* since day one)!

And all the "experts", who think they will die, if they do not issue 1 theory on what might/ will/ can happen, per day are incompetent.

So what I am saying is: no one "lied"!

And one side is not better or more capable than the other!

A bunch headless chicken was hit by something they never saw before, could not understand and had basically no idea, where this would lead to.

...who do you wanna get money from again...and why?

Who wouldn't?!

And all the "experts", who think they will die, if they do not issue 1 theory on what might/ will/ can happen, per day are incompetent.

A bunch headless chicken was hit by something they never saw before, could not understand and had basically no idea, where this would lead to.

DocN,

If we were to receive money id give it to my MIL because she is hit in Rangsit and I can handle all damages here. I already gave MIL money to fix her home.

Its not an issue of money because 5000bt does not impress me much. (ok you can have some fun with it but compared with the damages its nothing).

Its more that its an admission of guilt.

But this is what cronyism and corruption leads too. I still think the democrats would have handled it better (at least the communication part). Thing is the whole thing was denied until they could no longer. At that time my house was flooded. If i had had a bit more time i might have made it more comfortable for myself.

Well I'm glad to inform you all that 5,000 baht will build you a new stick house on a canal of your choice.

In all seriousness.... why don't they take that lot of money and invest it in housing projects and education for chum chon's. I would gladly give up a 5,000 baht hand-out if I knew it was helping my neighbor stick house slum get a new lot of proper houses and some education for their children so that they can learn how to live in a contributing society. I know it's wishful thinking, but more needs to be done. I don't know, maybe that's not the answer.... maybe instead of a handout, it should be hope that's given-- inspiration-- motivation-- more examples of credible leadership to follow (In the steps of HM the King, who is probably the only male Thai that I sincerely respect and admire). The downfall of Thailand through this disaster is the belief that materialism is the heart of the nation and materialism is what will fix the nation. Sad.

Who wouldn't?!

DocN,

If we were to receive money id give it to my MIL because she is hit in Rangsit and I can handle all damages here. I already gave MIL money to fix her home.

Its not an issue of money because 5000bt does not impress me much. (ok you can have some fun with it but compared with the damages its nothing).

But this is what cronyism and corruption leads too. I still think the democrats would have handled it better (at least the communication part). Thing is the whole thing was denied until they could no longer. At that time my house was flooded. If i had had a bit more time i might have made it more comfortable for myself.

If you think so...

But remember: same country! Same face-saving- stupidity.

I actually believe, no one could have done anything- we would be exactly where we are right now.

Who wouldn't?!

DocN,

If you think so...

I actually believe, no one could have done anything- we would be exactly where we are right now.

Im sure the water would have come as far under the democrats as it did under the reds. I doubt either had much chance of stopping it. Its more the information that would have been given out and options that would have been considered would be clearer. Abisith is far more experienced and educated then Yingl uck.

Who wouldn't?!

DocN,

If you think so...

Im sure the water would have come as far under the democrats as it did under the reds. I doubt either had much chance of stopping it. Its more the information that would have been given out and options that would have been considered would be clearer. Abisith is far more experienced and educated then Yingl uck.

Why don't we just agree to disagree on this point? And otherwise: all morons, no matter what side!

DocN,

If you think so...

Why don't we just agree to disagree on this point? And otherwise: all morons, no matter what side!

As there is no way to check it i can agree to that. And besides Abisith and Korn i think most democrats are as corrupt as the reds. (idiots probably too)

i dont now if anyone has mentioned this but i have just spoke to a woman who's parents have not recieved last years payment for being flooded out.

Why not? Does she own her house? Did she apply for it? Did they reject it? Has she complained about it? Did she go to the bank to get it? Or did she just wait for it to magically turn up?

Finance Minister: Govt Savings Bank Has Enough Cash for Flood Compensation Payments

The finance minister insists the Government Housing Bank has enough cash to cover flood compensation payments on behalf of the government.

Finance Minister Thirachai Bhuvanartnaranubala said the Government Savings Bank will advance flood compensation payments of 5,000 baht per household on behalf of the government.

More funds are required for compensation in Bangkok than in other provinces.

Teerachai said that the Government Savings Bank is obliged to provide additional funding of 20 billion baht for commercial banks to offer soft loans to small and medium businesses.

He added that the bank will also offer 15 billion in loans with an interest rate of 0.01 percent for seven years to seven flood-stricken industrial estates, to fund the construction of flood walls with drainage pipelines underneath.

The state-run bank will manage risk involved, while the government will subsidize interest payments.

The finance minister admitted that many state-owned banks do not have enough cash and may need to raise more funds.

He said his ministry is ready to provide additional funding, but the banks must make their financial disclosure to international standards so the ministry is able to know its actual financial footing.

He also urged the banks to promote measures to help flood victims and offer fast service.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-09

footer_n.gif

i dont now if anyone has mentioned this but i have just spoke to a woman who's parents have not recieved last years payment for being flooded out.

Why not? Does she own her house? Did she apply for it? Did they reject it? Has she complained about it? Did she go to the bank to get it? Or did she just wait for it to magically turn up?

bit sensitive to old people arnt you maybe you should get off your high horse and go and advise people what to do.[complaining dont get you anywhere]