Recommendation For Neurologist In Chiang Mai

jko

Can anyone recommend a top professional neurologist based in Chiang Mai?

A friend of mine has been informed at Chiang Mai Ram that he has "early Alzheimer's" based on a verbal description of his symptoms, but without using any detailed memory testing method.

The neurologist at Ram calmly prescribed a 2-week supply of Aricept (Donepezil Hydrocholoride) costing nearly Baht 5000, advising that it 'slows the progress' of the disease, when apparently this is not the case at all - Aricept is only palliative, and has no effect on the advancement of Alzheimer's.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Dr Surat at Sripat Hospital is the person you need to refer to, 13th floor, he's a Doctor of Neurology and an Assistant Professor at CMU, consultations after 5pm each day - nice guy with good English, very switched on and focused. Just walk in and ask for an appointment.

OP I'm sorry to hear the distressing news regarding your friend.

I post a quote from Alzheimer's Association

'There are 10 warning signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's. Every individual may experience one or more of these signs in different degrees'.

Have a look at the 10 warning signs - then go and see the recommended Neurologist at Sripat.smile.gif

http://www.alz.org/a..._alzheimers.asp

Edited by uptheos

I just wanted to add that looking at the ten signs before seeking help is important, as I believe many practitioners don't take the trouble to differentiate between 'normal' old age mistakes and genuine dementia processes.

E.g It's not a problem forgetting where you left you car keys......it's knowing what to do with them when they are found.

Good luck. smile.gif

Having just taken care of my 92 yr old father [that just past away here in my CM home this last march] and with no real resources or awareness here in LOS.......I didn't know about the neurologist in Sipat. I relied on the alz.org forum for support.....especialy the 'caregiver's forum' that had 'soldiers on the frontlines' like me to share experiences and knowledge and frustrations of this terrible disease that robs the mind. http://alzheimers.infopop.cc/eve/forums

Take 'uptheos' advise and DX and inform yourself as well but if you are in it for the long haul, then check with the forum that I mentioned. There is an alz.co.th here, but they were of no support. I did it myself for the last 2+ yrs of my father's life and it was the hardest job that I have ever done......especially here in LOS.

And chalk up another wrong DX/RX to Ram1, which has really gone down hill over the years.

Best of luck and PM me if you need an ear in private.

My thanks first of all to those who caringly posted.

We therefore consulted Dr Surat Tanprawate at Sripath as suggested. This doctor has an excellent manner, and speaks very good English.

Based on a memory test given to the patient by a nurse on the spot, Dr Surat did not agree with the diagnosis of ''early Alzheimer's' given by the first doctor at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital.

A happy ending therefore, with an obvious lesson to be learned - for any potentially serious illness, seek recommendations for the best doctor in the field of medicine concerned before you make an appointment.

Incidentally, we found out that Dr Surat has a clinic at Chiang Mai Ram on some Friday evenings, but not every Friday.

For folks reluctant to join the long wait at Sripath this is an easier option, but you will have to phone ahead to find out which Friday he will be at Ram.

We therefore consulted Dr Surat Tanprawate at Sripath as suggested. This doctor has an excellent manner, and speaks very good English.

Based on a memory test given to the patient by a nurse on the spot, Dr Surat did not agree with the diagnosis of ''early Alzheimer's' given by the first doctor at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital.

A happy ending therefore, with an obvious lesson to be learned - for any potentially serious illness, seek recommendations for the best doctor in the field of medicine concerned before you make an appointment.

Incidentally, we found out that Dr Surat has a clinic at Chiang Mai Ram on some Friday evenings, but not every Friday.

For folks reluctant to join the long wait at Sripath this is an easier option, but you will have to phone ahead to find out which Friday he will be at Ram.

I'm pleased to hear your good news, just one point though:

A consultation with Dr Surat at Sripat will cost around 300 Baht, the same consultation at RAM will be at least three times the cost.

A consultation with Dr Surat at Sripat will cost around 300 Baht, the same consultation at RAM will be at least three times the cost.

That is true. Dr. Siri, the dermatologist, even tells patients that you can see him for 50-100 Baht at his clinic, 300 on up at Sripat, or 900 on up at Ram.

Great news! smile.gif

Some doctors don't know (or care) about the difference between normal aging processes and early dementia.

Thanks for the thumbs up, good neurologists are hard to find.

After dealing with my father's undiagnosed alz/dementia.....we just called it 'old timer's disease' and treated him as such. If you are a caregiver or close friend that sees him often, I would still suggest that you check with the http://alzheimers.in...p.cc/eve/forums

for hints and tips on how to handle the situation. I really have my doubts about the diagnosis techniques as the only sure way to DX for alz is autopsy.....but you still have to deal with the short term memory, mood swings and many other issues even in normal old age.

And it seems that this topic is working me up into a 'Ram Rant' that I may post some day. We just experienced a wrong diagnosis from one of their drs [no names] and his rx was an expensive and risky operation.....then sought a 2nd opinion with a dr in Sripat and was told a whole different and more conservative approach which we are taking now. This is a current/still developing situation and when the dust settles I'll post my 'Ram Rant'. Lots of people have been posting on negative experiences with Ram1 lately......hardly a 'world class' operation!!

After dealing with my father's undiagnosed alz/dementia.....we just called it 'old timer's disease' and treated him as such. If you are a caregiver or close friend that sees him often, I would still suggest that you check with the http://alzheimers.in...p.cc/eve/forums

for hints and tips on how to handle the situation. I really have my doubts about the diagnosis techniques as the only sure way to DX for alz is autopsy.....but you still have to deal with the short term memory, mood swings and many other issues even in normal old age.

And it seems that this topic is working me up into a 'Ram Rant' that I may post some day. We just experienced a wrong diagnosis from one of their drs [no names] and his rx was an expensive and risky operation.....then sought a 2nd opinion with a dr in Sripat and was told a whole different and more conservative approach which we are taking now. This is a current/still developing situation and when the dust settles I'll post my 'Ram Rant'. Lots of people have been posting on negative experiences with Ram1 lately......hardly a 'world class' operation!!

It's a mixed bag with RAM where the contents change from time to time, their cardio guy is excellent, ditto their gastrointestinal/liver guy - unfortunately the hospital is let down by some of their doctors on the ground floor (literally the ground floor) whereas the second and third floor specialty clinics seem to have some very capable people working there. But then that leaves the cost issue and the tendency to over prescribe often very expensive RX. A patient can manage the RX side of things by declining it and filling prescriptions outside at say Pharma-Choice and the like, the doctor/hospital fees issue though is inescapable and little can be done other than to try and consult with he doctors at less expensive venues.

If anyone needs it I have started to compile a short list of CM doctors that I think are expert at what they do and offer good value also, Dr Surat in this thread is one of them. I don't have a complete list of all specialties yet but if someone is looking for a particular skill, feel free to give me a shout and I may be able to help. For the avoidance of doubt: my list has been compiled for my benefit whilst trying to research some personal medical scenario's and it's this I'm happy to share, nothing more.

It's a mixed bag with RAM where the contents change from time to time, their cardio guy is excellent, ditto their gastrointestinal/liver guy - unfortunately the hospital is let down by some of their doctors on the ground floor (literally the ground floor) whereas the second and third floor specialty clinics seem to have some very capable people working there. But then that leaves the cost issue and the tendency to over prescribe often very expensive RX. A patient can manage the RX side of things by declining it and filling prescriptions outside at say Pharma-Choice and the like, the doctor/hospital fees issue though is inescapable and little can be done other than to try and consult with he doctors at less expensive venues.

If anyone needs it I have started to compile a short list of CM doctors that I think are expert at what they do and offer good value also, Dr Surat in this thread is one of them. I don't have a complete list of all specialties yet but if someone is looking for a particular skill, feel free to give me a shout and I may be able to help. For the avoidance of doubt: my list has been compiled for my benefit whilst trying to research some personal medical scenario's and it's this I'm happy to share, nothing more.

Good idea.....to have a pinned dr's [and hospitals]reviews and discussion and share experiences with the many good and bad drs here in CM. I can contribute from my own experiences here over the years. Maybe a 1 to 10 rating for different drs and WHY we rate them??

But, bottom line.....I've noticed a decline in the Ram1's services [and maintenance of bldg] while their prices keep increasing.

For routine things like colds and coughs and all the things that a family encounters I mostly go to Thepanya [the old Ram2] and found a good down to earth GP [Dr Therapat] who can handle most things.

Good idea.....to have a pinned dr's [and hospitals]reviews and discussion and share experiences with the many good and bad drs here in CM. I can contribute from my own experiences here over the years. Maybe a 1 to 10 rating for different drs and WHY we rate them??

But, bottom line.....I've noticed a decline in the Ram1's services [and maintenance of bldg] while their prices keep increasing.

For routine things like colds and coughs and all the things that a family encounters I mostly go to Thepanya [the old Ram2] and found a good down to earth GP [Dr Therapat] who can handle most things.

I agree that's a good idea and the end product should prove useful to many. How do we do that though without it turning into the usual "this is what happened to me when ..." stories and without it running to thirty disorganized pages over two months?

If you are buying your medications at Pharma Choice, you are paying at the high-end of the range. Shop around. You will find that prices at pharmacies can differ for the same drug/same brand by as much as 200%!

If you are buying your medications at Pharma Choice, you are paying at the high-end of the range. Shop around. You will find that prices at pharmacies can differ for the same drug/same brand by as much as 200%!

All tips and pointers welcome, specific names and locations welcome even more.

That is true. Dr. Siri, the dermatologist, even tells patients that you can see him for 50-100 Baht at his clinic, 300 on up at Sripat, or 900 on up at Ram.

I was told by a very very reliable source that Chiangmai Ram has a mulltiple charge system. One price to Thai without insurance, higher to Thai with insurance, higher still for Foreigner without insurance, and highest rate for foreigner with insurance, and that every attempt is made to put the foreigner in the hospital if possible. I have used Sripat a number of times and they are the fairest of the hospitals. One of the gastrointestinal specialists indicated to my wife and me that their cost for scoping the stomach and proctoscopy is as low or lowest of the hospitals in the area.

Charging what the traffic will bear is a bit unethical, but widespread here, even in the small clinics. So it pays to shop around. Its always good to get a second opinion for serious cases before deciding a course of treatment.

I was told by a very very reliable source that Chiangmai Ram has a mulltiple charge system. One price to Thai without insurance, higher to Thai with insurance, higher still for Foreigner without insurance, and highest rate for foreigner with insurance, and that every attempt is made to put the foreigner in the hospital if possible. I have used Sripat a number of times and they are the fairest of the hospitals. One of the gastrointestinal specialists indicated to my wife and me that their cost for scoping the stomach and proctoscopy is as low or lowest of the hospitals in the area.

Charging what the traffic will bear is a bit unethical, but widespread here, even in the small clinics. So it pays to shop around. Its always good to get a second opinion for serious cases before deciding a course of treatment.

Sadly that's all true.

Good idea.....to have a pinned Dr's and hospital reviews and share experiences with the many good and bad Drs here in CM. I have contributed from my own experiences here over the years and several posters can attest that I have always backed up my post with personal experience pm, sharing Dr's private numbers, plus saying what the good and bad points were IMO..

It would certainly be worth pinning, but I think any poster recommending a doctor should be required to share his/her, good/bad experience (to a certain degree) via pm, otherwise have the post removed. And how do we get around the name and shame bit? - We get warned for shaming a bad sausage sandwich....I'm sure shaming a physician would be a little more worrying to admin (though IMO Dr's should be shamed sometimes).

It's all too easy for some people on TV to recommend a doctor for a certain condition, without ever having experience of that doctor or a related condition themselves. We know a lot of posts on TV are made up.

It's not like Pizza or F&C, which is largely BS and I couldn't really give a toss about good or bad recommendations, the end result will be either a good or bad meal, no big deal. The same cannot be said when recommending or slagging of someone who can keep you going (or not).

Edited by uptheos

I'm totally against naming and shaming in this, we can only report the professionals whom we think are good otherwise we'll be here 'till the cows come home and much of it will be wrong.Here's my starters for ten, anybody add to it as needed:

GP – Dr Morgan, Hang Dong, Chiang Mai

Cardiologist – Dr Patarapong, RAM Hospital, Chiang Mai

Pulmonary – Dr Limsukon, Sripat Hospital, Chiang Mai

Endocrinologist – Dr Umpiga, Sripat Hospital, Chiang Mai

Gastrointestinal & Liver - DR Jaruwat Yossombat, RAM Hospital, Chiang Mai

Orthopaedic -Dr Suthee (Sripat) & Dr Paiboon (RAM)

Head & Neck Surgeon – Dr Mark Thong, NUH Singapore

Dentist (all aspects) - Dr Varaporn (RAM)

I've seen all of the above and can confirm their English is at least very good and based on my take, plus the views of the professionals who recommended them to me in the first place, they are all of a very high professional standard.

I guess if we're going to grow this list and keep it in order, somebody may wish to volunteer to be the custodian of it, any volunteers?

Edited by chiang mai

I'm totally against naming and shaming in this, we can only report the professionals whom we think are good otherwise we'll be here 'till the cows come home and much of it will be wrong.Here's my starters for ten, anybody add to it as needed:

I understand what you are saying, but if you had a surgical (or any other) procedure that went wrong, wouldn't you want others to be warned?

I like your list idea, maybe there could be a way a Dr's name is added with a "pm me before using"...or something.

I want to know about the good experiences, but equally I want to know about the nightmares.

I understand what you are saying, but if you had a surgical (or any other) procedure that went wrong, wouldn't you want others to be warned?

I like your list idea, maybe there could be a way a Dr's name is added with a "pm me before using"...or something.

I want to know about the good experiences, but equally I want to know about the nightmares.

I agree we should be able to warn each other. In other countries, malpractice suits help accomplish that.

Maybe a tread for recommended and one for name & shame? Poll format? It would be interesting to see how many drs appear on both.

As for "How do we do that ......without it running to thirty disorganized pages over two months? " It would help if people don't quote entire pages for a one-line reply. wai.gif

Surely our own list is preferable to some paid-for recommendations and ads. I have had some good outcomes with drs recommended in earlier posts on TV.

The problem with name and shame is that we would need to have a huge number of people agree that a particular doctor should be placed on the list, doctors are after all human and they do make mistakes, even the very best doctors kill people! I continue to think that we should have a list of recommended doctors and then perhaps a list of doctors where people should check very carefully before using their services but that's as close as we should get to having a blacklist or similar.

I remember a few years ago in the CM forum an "important member" decided it would be a good idea to have a blacklist of CM merchants whom farangs should carefully avoid, it only took a single post to get a merchants name on that list. I was appalled by that concept and protested but was voted down, subsequently the list was abandoned but I think much damage had already been done and I would not wish this list to even come close to that extremely bad idea.

I continue to think that we should have a list of recommended doctors and then perhaps a list of doctors where people should check very carefully before using their services but that's as close as we should get to having a blacklist or similar.

I think it's a good idea to have a list of recommended doctors and as you say people should still do their own research.

I don't think anyone's suggesting 'a blacklist' but I still think it's very important to know if a doctor screws up, human or not.

Maybe on the list that's created, if someone disagrees they can simply post, 'pm me for my experience of this doctor'

I'm with you on the idea. smile.gif