Massive Traffic Almost Everywhere All The Time Now?

infernalman7

A lot of locals including me, finds Chiang Mai traffic so bad almost all the time now? Whether it's weekdays or weekends... it takes more than 30 minutes to go anywhere now.

What exactly has happened to Chiang Mai lately?? It shouldn't be like this this early (December I can understand)

Yes the traffic has increased as it always does this time of the year. Mainly due to Loy Krathong, but also masses of Bangkok registered cars, possibly just exiting Bangkok to get away from the floods. Put the two together, and you have the mess you are experiencing. Give it a couple of weeks and you will see a marked change.

Yes the traffic has increased as it always does this time of the year. Mainly due to Loy Krathong, but also masses of Bangkok registered cars, possibly just exiting Bangkok to get away from the floods. Put the two together, and you have the mess you are experiencing. Give it a couple of weeks and you will see a marked change.

Started about 1-2 weeks ago and mostly Bangkok refugees at the beginning but now geared up for Loy Krathong also. I've noticed a couple , what looked like, Mercedes Benz SLK 55 AMG's around over the last week. Bangkok elite? ;)

Started about 1-2 weeks ago and mostly Bangkok refugees at the beginning but now geared up for Loy Krathong also. I've noticed a couple , what looked like, Mercedes Benz SLK 55 AMG's around over the last week. Bangkok elite? ;)

Indeed, I too have noticed loads of Bangkok registered cars around as well as the aforementioned Mercedes Benz SLK 55 AMG's. I've taken to riding the motorcycle into the city which is something I almost never do. But at least I stand a chance of getting (and parking) someplace.

It took me 45 mins just to get around Nawarat bridge from Duke due to road closure, was trying to head into night bazaar but had to turn out again.

Edited by ShopBoy

This should represent good news, at least for business. In any case, trends should be for heavier traffic for years to come, as Chiang Mai grows and streets inside the Superhighway have but limited abilities. Floods and tourist seasons may vary in their impact, but anybody in a hurry better learn to like a motorbike or find the next small town.:huh: .

Fortunately none of them know the shortcuts, or which intersections to avoid. I would assume that we, as locals, do know this so we won't get stuck at intersections like Rincome, Huay Kaew/ Canal Road or around the Night Bazar, and Sunday walking street. or Saturday Wualai market. And so on.

This should represent good news, at least for business. In any case, trends should be for heavier traffic for years to come, as Chiang Mai grows and streets inside the Superhighway have but limited abilities. Floods and tourist seasons may vary in their impact, but anybody in a hurry better learn to like a motorbike or find the next small town.:huh: .

and don't forget your pollution free bicycle, the best, low cost, fastest way to get around CM.

Yep - simple math. Compare how many cars are sold every year in and around CM (many), and how many roads are built inside the super highway (none).

WTK know a good way to bypass Suthep road? I go from the city to canal road every day there, would love to avoid the mess (even on a bike it's slow).

I love that bicycling has gotten way more popular now, mainly due to the advent of the hip factor of (gorgeous) fixies. Now if CM could build some bike lanes, it would be fantastic. But... that's rather unlikely of course... city planning in CM seems to take a "hands-off" approach :P

Edited by nikster

Yep - simple math. Compare how many cars are sold every year in and around CM (many), and how many roads are built inside the super highway (none).

WTK know a good way to bypass Suthep road? I go from the city to canal road every day there, would love to avoid the mess (even on a bike it's slow).

I love that bicycling has gotten way more popular now, mainly due to the advent of the hip factor of (gorgeous) fixies. Now if CM could build some bike lanes, it would be fantastic. But... that's rather unlikely of course... city planning in CM seems to take a "hands-off" approach :P

doesn't Chiang Mai have bike lanes around the inside of the canals? Doesn't mean the cars don't use them as well, but I thought they did put them in.

MSPain

doesn't Chiang Mai have bike lanes around the inside of the canals? Doesn't mean the cars don't use them as well, but I thought they did put them in.

MSPain

Ummm...I thought those are just for decoration.

MSPain

About as useful as traffic lights and pedestrian crossings.

Until the BIB get off their easy 'helmet' money and concentrate their resources at places that matter, nothing gets better.

MSPain

They are mostly used as an excuse for Thai motorcyclists to go backwards on one way streets. :annoyed:

That's interesting UG, making motorbikes with reverse gears now are they :D

Fortunately none of them know the shortcuts, or which intersections to avoid. I would assume that we, as locals, do know this so we won't get stuck at intersections like Rincome, Huay Kaew/ Canal Road or around the Night Bazar, and Sunday walking street. or Saturday Wualai market. And so on.

The trouble is that congestion on the major roads is driving more locals to use alternative routes & back sois so even they are getting more crowded (at least in my neighborhood). Just have to allow more time to get around these days.

Depending on where in town you start, and where on the Canal Road you need to be, the Wing 41 Airport road is a good option; not sure that's possible for motorbikes though. When Suthep is *really* stuck, such as during Songkran, I often cut through the hospital compound to Sirimanhalajarn Rd, then to Nimmanhaemin past the CMU conference building, then through to the Canal Road. (And optionally then through CMU)

MSPain

They are mostly used as an excuse for Thai motorcyclists to go backwards on one way streets. :annoyed:

That's interesting UG, making motorbikes with reverse gears now are they :D

Actually they do, I have one (three-wheeler) in the old country :D 110 cc engine by Lifan.

/ Priceless

doesn't Chiang Mai have bike lanes around the inside of the canals?

Yes but they are used for parking.

Good example of where the BIB should crack down.

Exactly, but there would not be any tea money involved as the cars are parked and the driver is not around to negotiate the fines. :D

doesn't Chiang Mai have bike lanes around the inside of the canals?

Yes but they are used for parking.

Good example of where the BIB should crack down.

Exactly, but there would not be any tea money involved as the cars are parked and the driver is not around to negotiate the fines. :D

Clamp them and then they can negotiate after they receive the phone call.

I think the helmet thing is getting boring, time for a change.

Oh, but TV folks like to suggest that one of the first things a farang wanting to live in CM should do is 'get a car' - for the freedom it offers (from the public transport system I suppose - since its not freedom from traffic jams).

Like, what CM needs - more farang with more cars.

On my way to Chez Marco for dinner last night, on the moat road, diverted down Chiang Moi, through Kad Luang and across Nawarat Bridge, past the Dukes, down to Holiday Inn and back around the Night Bazar.

An hour late for our booking. :annoyed:

Oh, but TV folks like to suggest that one of the first things a farang wanting to live in CM should do is 'get a car' - for the freedom it offers (from the public transport system I suppose - since its not freedom from traffic jams).

Agreed; we should be recommending motorbikes and bicycles. Additional benefit is that it also keeps the Farang population down a bit.

Agreed; we should be recommending motorbikes and bicycles. Additional benefit is that it also keeps the Farang population down a bit.

Side effects of motorbikes and bicycles would have a huge population of the Chinese.

On my way to Chez Marco for dinner last night, on the moat road, diverted down Chiang Moi, through Kad Luang and across Nawarat Bridge, past the Dukes, down to Holiday Inn and back around the Night Bazar.

Tapae Road was closed yesterday evening. Presumably some kind of procession.

a lot of the traffic in cm is coursed by bad drivers sorry not thai bashing but as most of the expat community we learn to driver properly and be considerate

the amount of times iv seen thais pull out into the road when the lights have changed to green even if there is one place for them to go apart from blocking oncoming traffic

then they look at you as if your in the wrong lol they have a phone in one hand the other tuning the car stereo and often a young child standing on the passenger seat with no seat belt on (a real bug bear of mine )

if only they used a bit of common sense a lot of the traffic jams could be eased i find thai people very polite and considerate until they get hold of anything with an engine

then its every man for himself better to course a pile up or a crash than be held up for 20 seconds by just letting someone out of a junction i often wave people out the farangs understand

i get the feeling the thais think its some kind of trick land look a bit confused lol

I was trying to get to the Gekko bar, same route!

Gave up and went home instead.

david

Learn the sois. Last night I cut through from Chiang Moi to Tapae and could have gone to Loi Kroh. Just as well no one else seems to know this or I'd have been stuck.

I was trying to get to the Gekko bar, same route!

Gave up and went home instead.

david