PM Yingluck: Tap Water Drinkable Despite Floods

webfact

PM: Tap Water Drinkable Despite Floods

The prime minister has reaffirmed that tap water is drinkable once boiled or filtered.

She has also ordered water quality be regularly inspected.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said during her visit to a quality control facility of the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority, or MWA, that tap water is drinkable but just to be on the safe side, it should be boiled or filtered.

Yingluck also reaffirmed that tap water supply is not contaminated but raised health concern over how people store the water.

The MWA, which is currently running four water treatment plants, claims that all of the system is working properly and there will not be further interruption in tap water supply.

The production system has also been certified by various agencies to be in a sound condition with effective quality control despite the ongoing floods.

The prime minister also said that she has instructed the MWA to regularly inspect water quality in order to retain public confidence.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit, who is also the interior minister, has been tasked with developing flood prevention for Prapa Canal, the main source of the tap water.

Yingluck also commented on the locals of Don Muang District who have been protesting against the “big bag” flood defense line, saying that the issue must be addressed and that personally, she is sympathizing with them.

However, the prime minister claimed that floodwater must be diverted to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's drainage system which could efficiently accommodate a large volume of water as soon as possible or the capital will be flooded.

The prime minister repudiated a recent claim made by a deputy Bangkok governor that the “big bag” flood wall is not yet completed, pointing out that it is impossible for the wall to be 100 percent effective since it is more than 27 kilometers long.

She added gaps in the defense line should be mended by the BMA or other responsible agencies.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-09

footer_n.gif

Did i not see some news contrary to this today? yes... http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/72-diarrhoea-cases-reported-at-Nonthaburi-condomin-30169502.html

72 diarrhoea cases reported at Nonthaburi condominium

November 8, 2011 3:06 am

Authorities have advised residents in flooded areas to boil tap water before drinking it, after 72 cases of diarrhoea were reported at a Nonthaburi condominium.

A Department of Disease Control investigation confirmed that all those who fell ill drank tap water without boiling it. Water should be boiled for five minutes. Chlorine is provided free at the DDC.

Otherwise, residents should use bottled water certified by the Food and Drugs Administration, or from filters or purifiers certified by industrial standards, the Department advised.

The Nation

Here in nothaburi the water smelled funny for a while and even through a filter it wasnt its clear self. Thank god today the water looked normal again after more then a week of bad water. I am still going to boil it but at least it seems that there is progress. I would never drink straight from the tap, got a filter machine before it.

Did i not see some news contrary to this today? yes... http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/72-diarrhoea-cases-reported-at-Nonthaburi-condomin-30169502.html

72 diarrhoea cases reported at Nonthaburi condominium

November 8, 2011 3:06 am

Authorities have advised residents in flooded areas to boil tap water before drinking it, after 72 cases of diarrhoea were reported at a Nonthaburi condominium.

A Department of Disease Control investigation confirmed that all those who fell ill drank tap water without boiling it. Water should be boiled for five minutes. Chlorine is provided free at the DDC.

Otherwise, residents should use bottled water certified by the Food and Drugs Administration, or from filters or purifiers certified by industrial standards, the Department advised.

The Nation

If she drinks it from the tap 3 Miles down the road from the waterworks in front of the cameras I WILL belve her.

My tap water in Sathorn has markedly dropped in taste, smell and colour in the last two days, big time! I have no idea how contaminated, (or not), it is. However, I've stopped bathing my kids in it, just in case. It would be nice to get an independent report on quality from around various locations in Bangkok. I'd feel better for that.

Thai Tap water still up to WHO standard

The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) Wednesday opened its Bang Khen plant for inspections by various agencies so as to assure the public that tap water in the floodhit capital is still safe for consumption.

"The water production is in line with the World Health Organisation [WHO] standard," WHO representative David Sutherland said following the inspections.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit, Commerce Minister Kittiratt NaRanong, Japanese Ambassador to Thailand Seiji Kojima, Japanese media, and representatives from Mahidol University's Faculty of Public Health, the Federation of Thai Industries, the Public Health Ministry, and the National Research Council also took part in the inspections.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-09

Thai Tap water still up to WHO standard

The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) Wednesday opened its Bang Khen plant for inspections by various agencies so as to assure the public that tap water in the floodhit capital is still safe for consumption.

"The water production is in line with the World Health Organisation [WHO] standard," WHO representative David Sutherland said following the inspections.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit, Commerce Minister Kittiratt NaRanong, Japanese Ambassador to Thailand Seiji Kojima, Japanese media, and representatives from Mahidol University's Faculty of Public Health, the Federation of Thai Industries, the Public Health Ministry, and the National Research Council also took part in the inspections.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-09

But I am sure I read yesterday that there were tests done on ice and ice in drinks that were contaminated. Maybe just rubbish reporting. Can't remember the OP where I read this on TV, but pretty sure I am correct. Also, why would you need to boil water (as has been suggested), if it is safe for consumption (presumedly out of the tap)?

Excuse me if I don't believe her. What happens if people become sick from drinking this water? Will anyone be held responsible? Me thinks not.

As a rule of thumb, I don't believe people who aren't held accountable for their actions. They've got nothing to lose from lying or not knowing.

<deleted> after boiling is she mad to also say filtering unless its also UVL treated This lot of idiots are plain dangerous of course almost any water is drinkable if boiled but stupid Loss of face thing cant simply advise please boil all water no its got to be its drinkable if boiled bah.gif

UPDATE

Tapwater production meet WHO standard

The Nation

30169563-01.jpg

The World Health Organisation on Wednesday said the water production of the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) meet the WHO's standard.

WHO representative David Sutherland said "the water production is in line with the World Health Organisation [WHO] standard.

He was speaking after inspecting MWA’s Bang Khen plant together with other agencies including PM Yingluck Shinawatra. The visit was made to assure the public that tap water in the flood-hit capital is still safe for consumption.

Japanese Ambassador to Thailand Seiji Kojima and the Japanese media also joined the visit..

MWA governor Jarern Passara said his agency had already solved quality problems, and the tap water was now safe to drink.

Yingluck said, "I have come here in person because I want assurances for the public that tap water is still safe. But if you have time, boil or filter before drinking it because that will improve its colour and smell."

With flooding worsening in the capital during the last few weeks, angry flood victims have destroyed barriers along the waterworks (Prapa) canal, in the hope of using the canal to direct floodwater out of their areas.

Their actions affected tapwater production, as the raw water for production dropped in quality.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-09

Filter? What sort of filter? If you want to remove bacteria the pore size has to be 0.2 micron. Then there is the problem of inorganics so a carbon filter is necessary. Don't get to blase about UV as there are many factors that determine it's effectiveness. Residence time and UV transmissibility are two major factors.

But I am sure I read yesterday that there were tests done on ice and ice in drinks that were contaminated. Maybe just rubbish reporting. Can't remember the OP where I read this on TV, but pretty sure I am correct. Also, why would you need to boil water (as has been suggested), if it is safe for consumption (presumedly out of the tap)?

I guess you need to filter and boil ice for 5 minutes before you can enjoy your smoothy also...

Jokes aside, I spent 3 months in hospital for drinking Bangkok tap water some 15 years ago and would say even without floods, don't even think about it without a filter and UV light treatment or boiling.

omg thats nasty, your immune system must have been on the verge of collapse! 3 months is the high end of extreme.

5 years on filter an never a problem. During that time there was 12 months where i simply forgot (couldnt be bothered) to change the filters so plenty of tap water for me :D

With her Excellency the PM Yingluck and other noteworthy, respectable gentlemen having had a look I'm really and completely reassured. The only thing missing would have been some of them carrying small bottles of Evian or so <_<

It's nice to hear that the water production coming out of one water treatment plant is meeting international standards... on one chosen day... What about the other days..now...next week..next month... when the media and foreign folks aren't there watching with the PM hosting a big show party.

But probably more important, what really should matter to everyone isn't what's the water quality coming out of the water treatment plant, but instead, what's the water quality coming out of YOUR OWN FAUCET after having traveled through miles of municipal piping and, in some areas, traveling through dirty floodwater and sewage infested underground areas. That's the water that you have to decide what to do with.

In general, boiling is considered the safest method by health authorities of eliminating bacteria and some other contaminants. The recommendations seem to fall into the at least 1 to 2 minutes roiling boil range. Though I suppose boiling longer -- some here have suggested 5 minutes though I haven't seen that time suggested by official health agencies -- wouldn't hurt but isn't considered necessary.

However, if the water is NOT clear, beore boiling, the health authorities do recommend filtering the water, either through a special water filter unit like those that can be purchased at the home improvement stores, or in an emergency, even through simple things like a paper coffee filter or clean cloth. Obviously, a specific water filtering unit also will remove some other contaminants that simple filtering will not.

If suspect water cannot be boiled for whatever reason, the health authorities then recommend the 2nd line approach of filtering as above, if necessary, and then adding plain bleach (two drops per liter of water for clear water and 4 drops for not clear water), stirring well, and then let sit for 30 minutes to give the bleach time to act.

But to be clear, both the filtering and boiling recommendations are intended for tap water that may be of questionable quality. They're NOT intended as a means of making contaminated flood water safe for drinking.

Couldn't agree more with above post.

Safety of water depends on where you are, what pipes the water has gone through, tanks it has been stored in, pumps it is pumped through, number and nature of dead animals infused in it, etc.

The safety of water in one Bangkok area or condo does not confirm or suggest its safety in another location, even a few streets away,

No-one ever got sick from being too careful.

Therefore be too careful.

What a load of tosh! Who advised her on this one? I had stomach cramps last week, did not drink the water its not fit too. I think I got it from washing up water on the crockery! The water here in Nakhon Sawan is only available 50% of the time then at low pressure. The water is not clear and smells. You can boil and filter that as much you like I wouls not drink it. I feel sorry for Yingluck she has load of tossers around her would not know a wet fish it jumped and slapped them the face!!

The prime minister repudiated a recent claim made by a deputy Bangkok governor that the “big bag” flood wall is not yet completed, pointing out that it is impossible for the wall to be 100 percent effective since it is more than 27 kilometers long.

Can it be seen from outer space? :rolleyes:

Has anyone wondered why 1st world countries ban toilet sprays? Do some reading why and then you will be boiling your water long after the floods have gone. blink.gif Bottled or nothing for me.

Ban toilet sprays?

double chek valves I believe is what they are called or non return valves? but never see them here, standard in the UK for stopping nasties get into the water supply ie the crap. you clean off yer arse getting back into the sytsem via the bum gun